Playing Not To Lose and bad O Coordinator

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Playing Not To Lose and bad O Coordinator

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 31st, 2019, 1:26 am

I feel like this is the Gary Andersen way. Go back to the BYU games in 2011 and 2012. Auburn in 2011, Ohio 2011.

Get the lead and then shrivel up into the fetal position. Supposedly you have a Heisman caliber QB and you take the ball out of his hands in the last five minutes of the game. I'd rather have seen three straight incompletions with 3 minutes to go than that garbage.

Also, every time we were backed up inside our own ten yard line we shriveled up. Andre Ware, a Heisman winner himself, kept predicting disaster because of the conservative play calling and then boom! INT at the fifteen yard line.

Sanford is not Yost and if our D' is going to remain this passive, it's going to be a disappointing season.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Intermeddler

Olderthandirt

Re: Playing Not To Lose and bad O Coordinator

Post by Olderthandirt » August 31st, 2019, 2:23 am

D has to play gaps against that crazy zone read they do. You can't pull out all the stops. I thought our D played well enough to win. Turnovers hurt, and Woodwards TD getting called back hurt. That would have been a game changer.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 31st, 2019, 5:40 am

Yeah, not a fan of the play not to lose strategy. Wake is an up tempo team, like USU. Trying to run out the clock with two or three minutes does not do much unless you can realistically leave them with only 30 seconds or so. I don't mind doing some runs to force them to burn timeouts, but I do think the offense should have thrown in a pass or two to keep Wake honest.

Still, other than a bad decision by Love to force something at the end of the game, when they were within field goal range, I thought the team looked pretty good overall.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 31st, 2019, 7:27 am

Our philosophy on the last two drives was wack.

Second to last drive: We were up by four and they had three timeouts. What do we need to accomplish in that drive? A touchdown wins it. A Field goal makes them have to show a touchdown. A point gives them the football and a shot to go win the game, and a turnover would have spelled disaster. Two first downs should have put the game on ice.

What happened - run it up the gut, make them burn their timeouts, and then give them the football in great field position.

Why was this stupid? Our secondary, outside of Bond, is shakey. Wake had their way all night with us throwing the ball, and you had to know they weren't running the ball in to win the game. We were on the road. Do you really put the game in the home team's hands and dare them to beat you?

Where was a bootleg to the TE? how about a sweep? A screen pass? Play action anyone? There are multiple low risk plays that would have given us the yardage for a first down and kept us in control.

Last drive: We needed three to tie and a touchdown to win. We had over a minute and no timeouts. 45 yards puts us in solid field goal range. We have a Lou Groza finalist on our team. (Why did it All-American kick returner take a knee, instead of at least trying to break one?). A turnover spells disaster.

What happened - we went for the end zone twice right out of the gate and then tried to work the ball down the field eventually getting in field goal range. Then Love threw the pick.

Why was this was stupid? In college football the clock stops to reset the chains in a first down. Do our coaches know this? Wake was playing soft coverage to keep everything in front of them. We needed to work the ball up the field in chunks to get into FG position and then try to figure out a way to get it into the end zone.

We lucked out and got the blatant targeting call - they had to finally their a flag on Wake, although I'm surprised it wasn't offensive PI again to offset the damage to Wake. But once we got there we tried to work the short game and turned it over. At that point we should have taken a couple shots at end zone and then tried the FG. With more time we could have attacked the chains a little more to get closer.

The whole series was backwards, we panicked and went deep when we could have gone short and went short when we should have gone deep. Our O line did well up until the last drive when Wake brought the heat.

I'm a huge fan of getting over your stubborn desire to price your manhood on fourth down and kick sine field goals early and puts points in the board. I'll go out on a limb and say that those might have come in handy last night.

Sanford needs to watch the film, evaluate which personnel to use, and burn his cards for when we are backed up against the end zone situations.

It was this staff's first game together so I am optimistic, but tonight was not a good night for the staff, our secondary, and was a mixed bag for our QB.

There were a lot of positives too

David Woodward could not have played a better game. Bond was all over the place. The D line will be an anchor for us.

Repp and Mariner were studs. That toe tap by Mariner was incredible. Thompkins is fast. Very fast. Nathan had a great touch down grab as well.

Jaylen Warren is going to be huge for us. He was a big time player for us last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyaggies22

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » August 31st, 2019, 8:10 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 1:26 am
I feel like this is the Gary Andersen way. Go back to the BYU games in 2011 and 2012. Auburn in 2011, Ohio 2011.

Get the lead and then shrivel up into the fetal position. Supposedly you have a Heisman caliber QB and you take the ball out of his hands in the last five minutes of the game. I'd rather have seen three straight incompletions with 3 minutes to go than that garbage.

Also, every time we were backed up inside our own ten yard line we shriveled up. Andre Ware, a Heisman winner himself, kept predicting disaster because of the conservative play calling and then boom! INT at the fifteen yard line.

Sanford is not Yost and if our D' is going to remain this passive, it's going to be a disappointing season.
The call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one. But up to that point I thought the play calling was great. Love made some bad decisions at critical points of the game that really hurt our chances, but he also kept us in the game with some great plays and throws.

Sanford isn’t Yost but I remember this board complaining about the play calling in the Boise State game last year when Yost was calling the plays.

We scored 35 points against a P5 team on the road and held them to under their scoring average from last year. It was a disappointing loss considering the multiple opportunities we had to win but I’m optimistic about the season.

You feel like this is the Gary Anderson way? If it is then I’ll take it. Overall Gary Anderson brought us back from total garbage football to 11-2 and a conference championship, I’ll take Gary any day.
These users thanked the author USUstudent13 for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 31st, 2019, 9:57 am

The prevent offense will cost us at least one more game this year. We have all seen this movie before.
These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
bigblueaggies22

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 1st, 2019, 6:41 am

Obviously the end was trash, but we put up nearly 600 yards. I'll wait a little while before criticizing the offensive coordinator. Hopefully they can learn from this going forward.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 1st, 2019, 7:53 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 9:57 am
The prevent offense will cost us at least one more game this year. We have all seen this movie before.
These thoughts are like making a statistical conclusion with a tiny sample size. If play calling at the end were the same but the result positive, no one would complain. I thought WF offensive calls on the goal line at the end were awful and they had to have a low percentage pass play complete in order to win. Had they not completed the pass there would have been screams from WF fans concerning their poor offensive coordinator's decisions. Winning erases a lot of criticism. Every play call is a gamble based upon analysis by the staff. Fans are probably the least capable in making those decisions because they voice their opinion AFTER the play when the result is known. Only a larger completed body of work can be used to determine how good an OC or a coach is.

I give credit to WF for playing an excellent game and our defense couldn't find an answer to their running back and tall receivers. Three interceptions killed us, but I'm not even hinting that Love was the cause. Someone had to lose that game and I applaud both teams for an entertaining game. I left disappointed but very encouraged that USU has a very, very good team.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 2):
Usu0505JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am

Sanford will be fine. He is learning this new offense. We put up 35 points and left a lot more out there with interceptions. A lot of new faces on offense as well. This offense will be good.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » September 1st, 2019, 9:01 am

If Love throws a pick on 3rd and 4 everybody would be screaming that we should have run the ball with the back who was averaging 7 yards per carry, forced them to use their last time out, and pin them back at the 10 yard line.
These users thanked the author isrred for the post (total 2):
tinplaterJFW_AGGIES

coolag

Post by coolag » September 1st, 2019, 9:26 am

I suggest we all watch Boise state's approach to being aggressive at the end of a game. While we tuck tail and pu$$ out and give it away for the umpteenth time, they pull off another P5 win by having a pair.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

Regulator of Class

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 1st, 2019, 9:31 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 6:41 am
Obviously the end was trash, but we put up nearly 600 yards. I'll wait a little while before criticizing the offensive coordinator. Hopefully they can learn from this going forward.
The 2nd half playcalling became very unimaginative and lacked creativity.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 1st, 2019, 10:32 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
Sanford will be fine. He is learning this new offense. We put up 35 points and left a lot more out there with interceptions. A lot of new faces on offense as well. This offense will be good.
This offense is ALREADY good. Once it's a little more fine tuned it will be GREAT!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm

isrred wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:01 am
If Love throws a pick on 3rd and 4 everybody would be screaming that we should have run the ball with the back who was averaging 7 yards per carry, forced them to use their last time out, and pin them back at the 10 yard line.
Of course they would, because the point of armchair quarterbacking is to seem smarter than the guys that do this for a living, not to actually get to the right answer.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm
isrred wrote:
Of course they would, because the point of armchair quarterbacking is to seem smarter than the guys that do this for a living, not to actually get to the right answer.
You correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet if I go back over the past few years, I could find a post or two where you have criticized "the guys who do this for a living." So, what is the criteria? I'm genuinely curious.

For the record, isrred is right. I would have been mad if Love threw a pick there. That goes to my point. We don't have one single creative play we can dial up for 4 yards? Nothing? Boise built their dynasty on the foundation of such creativity.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » September 1st, 2019, 10:43 pm

AgMac wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
isrred wrote:
You correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet if I go back over the past few years, I could find a post or two where you have criticized "the guys who do this for a living." So, what is the criteria? I'm genuinely curious.

For the record, isrred is right. I would have been mad if Love threw a pick there. That goes to my point. We don't have one single creative play we can dial up for 4 yards? Nothing? Boise built their dynasty on the foundation of such creativity.
Huh the same Boise that our current OC was the OC at?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 1st, 2019, 10:46 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
isrred wrote:

Huh the same Boise that our current OC was the OC at?
Yep. That's the one. Is there another Boise?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 2nd, 2019, 5:58 am

Sanford is not a bad coordinator. With a few of you guys talking about "the Gary way." Did you ever stop to think that Sanford dialed back the offense because his boss, the Head Coach told him too?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AgMaccornia27

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am

We do not know as fans why we went for a run on the critical 3rd down, was it on the O coordinator, did G.A, decide to go that way, or did Love have a RPO decision ?

We all are guilt of 20/20 hindsight, if we had thrown the ball incomplete, fans would question that call as being poor clock management, if he throws a pick, fans would question that. only way we are happy is if that play worked it would not matter rather it was a run or pass.

I think teams can be a reflection of their fan base. I did not see the kids quit. I wonder what we as fans will do stay home or bounce back from this tough loss.

I plead guilty to second guessing coach's, but my butt will be at that stadium for the game.

We have all wanted tough games at home maybe some P-5 teams. This home schedule is a real tough one. They need as much support as we can muster. I expect the team to come thru. I sure hope the fans do.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 4):
newtonianblueMachismoaggies22JSHarvey

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 11:49 am

We had two guys in our secondary that could not tackle in space or stay with their man downfield the entire game, and we had three turnovers that happened at the worst times/spots possible, IMO that is why we lost. We have a great head coach and one of the top oc’s in the country, this season will show that
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 3):
cornia27oleblu111Machismo

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 2nd, 2019, 12:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am
We do not know as fans why we went for a run on the critical 3rd down, was it on the O coordinator, did G.A, decide to go that way, or did Love have a RPO decision ?

We all are guilt of 20/20 hindsight, if we had thrown the ball incomplete, fans would question that call as being poor clock management, if he throws a pick, fans would question that. only way we are happy is if that play worked it would not matter rather it was a run or pass.

I think teams can be a reflection of their fan base. I did not see the kids quit. I wonder what we as fans will do stay home or bounce back from this tough loss.

I plead guilty to second guessing coach's, but my butt will be at that stadium for the game.

We have all wanted tough games at home maybe some P-5 teams. This home schedule is a real tough one. They need as much support as we can muster. I expect the team to come thru. I sure hope the fans do.
Totally disagree with this part. I think most of our fans are smart enough to know that one play is more likely to result in us converting and makes us more likely to win the game than the other. Sometimes good decisions yield bad results, and bad decisions good results. This was a bad decision with a bad result. I think most fans would get that.

FootballOrphan

Post by FootballOrphan » September 2nd, 2019, 12:20 pm

It's frustrating, to be sure. Just stay calm, and remember a season is not made or broken on one game.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 2nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 12:00 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Totally disagree with this part. I think most of our fans are smart enough to know that one play is more likely to result in us converting and makes us more likely to win the game than the other. Sometimes good decisions yield bad results, and bad decisions good results. This was a bad decision with a bad result. I think most fans would get that.
My point is I do not know all that went into that decision. I think had we got the first down very few fans would have second guessed that decision, if we had won. If it was my decision without knowing more than I do I would have thrown a short pass.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 3rd, 2019, 7:44 am

oleblu111 wrote:

[I agree with this post. I did not see any quit in this team. They will bounce back just like we as fans have to bounce back and make sure we do our part.]
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

Locked Previous topicNext topic