Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1614
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 45 times

Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by aggiesdotcom » August 31st, 2019, 6:06 pm

Shouldn't Wake #12 Newsome have received an unsportsmanlike penalty for removing his helmet on that long TD play that was eventually ruled down at the 1? He is shown celebrating what he thought was the go ahead TD at mid field with no helmet on. If this is a penalty and applied, it would have been WF ball, 1st and 10 from the 16. A different scenario indeed than needing to stop 4 straight goal line plays.

Rule 3.2.(F) = Unsportsmanlike Conduct if: (F) A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area



jamesda3asu
Posts: 76
Joined: July 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by jamesda3asu » August 31st, 2019, 6:15 pm

Could possibly thinking it's a TD and removing his helmet as he is leaving the field to celebrate be an exception?



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2297
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by ineptimusprime » August 31st, 2019, 6:17 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:15 pm
Could possibly thinking it's a TD and removing his helmet as he is leaving the field to celebrate be an exception?
Hey dude, you guys won. You can leave now.
These users liked this post from ineptimusprime:
aggies22



aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1614
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by aggiesdotcom » August 31st, 2019, 6:25 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:15 pm
Could possibly thinking it's a TD and removing his helmet as he is leaving the field to celebrate be an exception?

Rule 3.2.f: A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).

As far as I can tell, deliberately removing the helmet anywhere outside of the team area is a penalty. The rule makes no exception for throwing your helmet to the sideline to celebrate 20 yards from the team area.



brian5562
Posts: 1343
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:08 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by brian5562 » August 31st, 2019, 7:25 pm

Believe it would have been 1st and goal from the 16. That would have been a huge swing.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by dyedblue » August 31st, 2019, 8:00 pm

Is that what we're going to hand our hat on? An irrelevant technicality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

1TruAggie
Posts: 108
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by 1TruAggie » August 31st, 2019, 8:14 pm

dyedblue wrote:Is that what we're going to hand our hat on? An irrelevant technicality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When one team is penalty-free in the first game of the season, and replay shows an offensive PI in the end zone, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a 70 yard pass play, and lots of physical contact initiated by outside receivers for the victors in a tight game, missed calls are relevant. How much football did you play?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



blueaggie
Posts: 814
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by blueaggie » August 31st, 2019, 8:36 pm

1TruAggie wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:14 pm
dyedblue wrote:Is that what we're going to hand our hat on? An irrelevant technicality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When one team is penalty-free in the first game of the season, and replay shows an offensive PI in the end zone, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a 70 yard pass play, and lots of physical contact initiated by outside receivers for the victors in a tight game, missed calls are relevant. How much football did you play?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the refs should pick and choose what penalties they call?



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2448
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by GUS » August 31st, 2019, 8:37 pm

That penalty has been called on USU in the past.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by dyedblue » August 31st, 2019, 8:54 pm

I think the refs missed plenty of calls on Wake, but I'm not going to cry about a technical type penalty. Holding, the pick plays, the PIs are fair game. I refuse to wine about whether I guy took his helmet off or not.

Yes, I know our history and how it cost us a game against Wyoming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
Posts: 15567
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 382 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by NVAggie » August 31st, 2019, 9:52 pm

Eh, it is football. You have to overcome that.



BigBlueSteve
Posts: 478
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 1:19 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 31st, 2019, 10:02 pm

I completely accept the outcome of the game against WF. I understand that the ref calls are part of it. I also have no problems with discussing potential missed calls, etc. Discussions like this one are the exact reason the NFL has added pass interference to the list of coach requested (red flag) replay reviews.



slcagg
Posts: 3188
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 174 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by slcagg » August 31st, 2019, 10:07 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:06 pm
Shouldn't Wake #12 Newsome have received an unsportsmanlike penalty for removing his helmet on that long TD play that was eventually ruled down at the 1? He is shown celebrating what he thought was the go ahead TD at mid field with no helmet on. If this is a penalty and applied, it would have been WF ball, 1st and 10 from the 16. A different scenario indeed than needing to stop 4 straight goal line plays.

Rule 3.2.(F) = Unsportsmanlike Conduct if: (F) A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area
I wondered this exact same thing as well. Complete miss by the refs that could have changed the game.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 6407
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 31st, 2019, 10:27 pm

Eh, non factor. It just means they probably score on a pass play earlier.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4619
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 31st, 2019, 10:41 pm

BigBlueSteve wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:02 pm
Discussions like this one are the exact reason the NFL has added pass interference to the list of coach requested (red flag) replay reviews.
In all reality, the change to allow reviews for pass interference was all cause of the one incident with the Saints in the NFC championship. If the blown call happens in the regular season, or even the first half of that game followed by other things, or even if the missed call happens at the same point in the game but is instead something that is a 50/50 call as opposed to being the blatant miss that it was, the rule change never happens.



jamesda3asu
Posts: 76
Joined: July 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Missed Unsportsmanlike Penalty on Wake (non) TD?

Post by jamesda3asu » September 1st, 2019, 2:24 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:17 pm
jamesda3asu wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:15 pm
Could possibly thinking it's a TD and removing his helmet as he is leaving the field to celebrate be an exception?
Hey dude, you guys won. You can leave now.
Don't be bitter I simple made a suggestion he thought we scored a touchdown. And I'll be a Utah St. Fan the rest of the year.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic