Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7597
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 31st, 2019, 11:07 pm

Winning these games is what will elevate us to the next level in college football. A win creates a lot of publicity and notoriety around the country. It helps us get more nationally televised games down the road.

This is critical for recruiting purposes, especially nationally. Boise State has been recruiting off their P5 wins for almost 20 years and I guarantee they locked down a few targeted recruits by going into Tallahassee and knocking off Florida State.

Going into a recruits home and talking about this type of win would be huge. As fans, we need to stop accepting the old "college try"; "hey, we went into 'their house' and gave them a scare. No worries, we'll do better against our level of competition."
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
Machismoaggies22El Sapo



ususports
Posts: 1337
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ususports » August 31st, 2019, 11:31 pm

I think your post gives an inaccurate representation of what people's real opinions are and compares to the same type of thing USUBlue used to preach after the Tim Duryea hire. Most fans on this board were not happy with the TD hire, but we all knew USU couldn't buy him out of his contract from day one, so there were a lot of posts saying, "lets give him some time and see what happens." USUBlue would always interpret that to mean that fans had their head in the sand and were accepting mediocrity, and that we as fans should demand more. Of course we should demand more, but we were going to have to wait a couple of seasons no matter what, so why spend every possible moment complaining about it.

Getting back to football, we can't change the outcome of last nights game. So, we can all act like this loss was the end of the world and we are doomed forever (which still won't change the outcome of last night), or we can look forward to hoping that we "compete better against our level of competition" (aka compete for a Mountain West championship). Since complaining won't change what happened last night, I will look forward to the rest of the season. That being said, I still agree with most of your post. It is a big deal to keep losing these P5 games in such a close fashion, and we need to start winning some of them for the benefits you mention. However, don't misinterpret peoples positive attitude of, "We still have a lot to look forward to..." as though people don't care that we lost a close one last night.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Machismo



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7597
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 31st, 2019, 11:45 pm

ususports wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 11:31 pm
I think your post gives an inaccurate representation of what people's real opinions are and compares to the same type of thing USUBlue used to preach after the Tim Duryea hire. Most fans on this board were not happy with the TD hire, but we all knew USU couldn't buy him out of his contract from day one, so there were a lot of posts saying, "lets give him some time and see what happens." USUBlue would always interpret that to mean that fans had their head in the sand and were accepting mediocrity, and that we as fans should demand more. Of course we should demand more, but we were going to have to wait a couple of seasons no matter what, so why spend every possible moment complaining about it.

Getting back to football, we can't change the outcome of last nights game. So, we can all act like this loss was the end of the world and we are doomed forever (which still won't change the outcome of last night), or we can look forward to hoping that we "compete better against our level of competition" (aka compete for a Mountain West championship). Since complaining won't change what happened last night, I will look forward to the rest of the season. That being said, I still agree with most of your post. It is a big deal to keep losing these P5 games in such a close fashion, and we need to start winning some of them for the benefits you mention. However, don't misinterpret peoples positive attitude of, "We still have a lot to look forward to..." as though people don't care that we lost a close one last night.
I didn't pay attention to the Tim Duryea conversation so I can't speak to that.

There are many conversations going around since last night where it really appears that people are happy with last night simply because they remember how bad it was under the Dennehy/Arslanian/Guy regimes. We gave another P5 team a scare on the road. Until we EXPECT to win these games, we won't.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7160
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by GeoAg » September 1st, 2019, 12:34 am

Florida, this is not directed at you. I know what you give and have given for this school and this program. This is directed at the board in general.

What exactly are you asking fans to do when you say they must stop accepting mediocrity? Are you asking them to not show up to the game next week? Are you asking them to whine about firing the coach?

I hope not. Because when it comes to accepting mediocrity around here our fans need to look in the mirror. If you are tired or whatever and think it needs to be fixed quit whining on the stupid message board and buy season tickets and go to the game. Our fans are an embarrassment. If everyone in here, if even half of you whining were going to be in the stands next week and the rest of the year I would feel different. Instead you'll all be home complaining about paying a few bucks to park and that you have to bring a clear bag when we literally get the highest quality football for what we spend as a program and as individual fans in the entire freaking country.

We are the mediocrity. This team has deserved better for several years. If you don't like what you see, go to the game and boo them so they can hear your opinion. Nothing says accepting mediocrity more than just posting on a message board.

See you all Saturday. Go Aggies!

If you are offended by my judgement of your fanhood in any way, good. Do something about it.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 15):
AgliciousnewtonianblueQuackAttackAggieProvoAggie2004AGJFW_AGGIESMachismooleblu111bluegrouseAgMac and 5 more users


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2285
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 1st, 2019, 6:21 am

It was a tough loss for sure, but people are highly overestimating a win over wake forest. Wake Forest is a nothingburger in the college football world. If you are looking for wins to impress recruits, beat san Diego state, fresno State and boise State. Boise State is lightyears ahead of wake forest on the college football landscape. Lsu obviously would be huge, but that isnt to be expected. Tough loss though. Obviously the ending was poor, but excited to watch this offense again. Gonna be putting up a lot of points.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15793
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 1st, 2019, 7:10 am

It took years of winning for Boise to get where they are and it started by beating their peers first and winning conference championships. That’s where our focus needs to be. It also happened because a guy named Chris Peterson stayed there much longer than any coach of his caliber would ever stay at another G5 school and that sustained success grew. We finally have a coach that can be successful and doesn’t want to leave or use USU as a stepping stone. We finally have facilities that will sustain growth. We need fans to back this program and understand the long term process.

Gary and his staff could’ve brought in a bunch of juco guys to reload faster this year but that wouldn’t have helped us long term which is what Gary is looking at. We need to see that he wants exactly what the OP is talking about, and has a 10 year plan to get us there. He doesn’t want to take short cuts. So we’ll see our young Oline and secondary face some adversity this year, but it’s better to start at the foundation with young talent than continually swapping guys out every year.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 4):
AgMacJSHarveyjeffdan25newtonianblue



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2407
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by OKAggie » September 1st, 2019, 7:45 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 11:45 pm
* * *

There are many conversations going around since last night where it really appears that people are happy with last night simply because they remember how bad it was under the Dennehy/Arslanian/Guy regimes. We gave another P5 team a scare on the road. Until we EXPECT to win these games, we won't.
I think the first "we" in your last sentence makes the rest of it nonsense. What "we" the fans think (the subject of your post) has zero effect on the outcome of a game "we" don't play. The coaches and players on this team expected to win this game. They trained and prepared like they expected to win, they played well enough to win, and they were bitterly disappointed that they didn't. If you think they didn't expect to win, you should ask them. But what we fans EXPECT means nothing to the outcome. Sorry.

I was not happy on Friday night. I remember how bad it was under the Dennehy/Arslanian/Guy regimes (also Snyder, Pella, Shelton, Weatherbie and John L.) in games against big conference opponents. I expected to win this game. We didn't. (Maybe I should have expected harder.)
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
JSHarvey


Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 7:52 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:34 am
Florida, this is not directed at you. I know what you give and have given for this school and this program. This is directed at the board in general.

What exactly are you asking fans to do when you say they must stop accepting mediocrity? Are you asking them to not show up to the game next week? Are you asking them to whine about firing the coach?

I hope not. Because when it comes to accepting mediocrity around here our fans need to look in the mirror. If you are tired or whatever and think it needs to be fixed quit whining on the stupid message board and buy season tickets and go to the game. Our fans are an embarrassment. If everyone in here, if even half of you whining were going to be in the stands next week and the rest of the year I would feel different. Instead you'll all be home complaining about paying a few bucks to park and that you have to bring a clear bag when we literally get the highest quality football for what we spend as a program and as individual fans in the entire freaking country.

We are the mediocrity. This team has deserved better for several years. If you don't like what you see, go to the game and boo them so they can hear your opinion. Nothing says accepting mediocrity more than just posting on a message board.

See you all Saturday. Go Aggies!

If you are offended by my judgement of your fanhood in any way, good. Do something about it.

GEOAG that might be the post of the year. Fans get to the game this team will be fine.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by dyedblue » September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am

I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
aggies22TransplantedSpud


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 8:01 am

Bringin in a couple of grad transfer WR's is not bad as they are more plug and play. The CB situation that is another story but you also dont expect your best CB to leave right before camp.



slcagg
Posts: 3997
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 307 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by slcagg » September 1st, 2019, 8:05 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 8:01 am
Bringin in a couple of grad transfer WR's is not bad as they are more plug and play. The CB situation that is another story but you also dont expect your best CB to leave right before camp.
Not saying I’m right but most people would of said dj Williams was our best returning corner including Ingram before the game this past weekend.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 8:08 am

slcagg wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 8:05 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 8:01 am
Bringin in a couple of grad transfer WR's is not bad as they are more plug and play. The CB situation that is another story but you also dont expect your best CB to leave right before camp.
Not saying I’m right but most people would of said dj Williams was our best returning corner including Ingram before the game this past weekend.


That is probably correct



USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am

dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
AGGZILLAaggies22TransplantedSpud



Elkaggie
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Elkaggie » September 1st, 2019, 9:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
Amen. You on a roll!



USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 9:24 am

Elkaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
Amen. You on a roll!
I agree about the play calling on the one play, but what I don’t like is how some on this board have extrapolated that out to mean that Gary is not the right man for the job.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2019, 9:32 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:24 am
Elkaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
Amen. You on a roll!
I agree about the play calling on the one play, but what I don’t like is how some on this board have extrapolated that out to mean that Gary is not the right man for the job.
Has anyone said that? All I’ve seen is concern that the roughly three thousand losses Gary teams have suffered because of poor end of game management has seemed to have taught Gary nothing.



oleblu111
Posts: 1501
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by oleblu111 » September 1st, 2019, 9:33 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:34 am
Florida, this is not directed at you. I know what you give and have given for this school and this program. This is directed at the board in general.

What exactly are you asking fans to do when you say they must stop accepting mediocrity? Are you asking them to not show up to the game next week? Are you asking them to whine about firing the coach?

I hope not. Because when it comes to accepting mediocrity around here our fans need to look in the mirror. If you are tired or whatever and think it needs to be fixed quit whining on the stupid message board and buy season tickets and go to the game. Our fans are an embarrassment. If everyone in here, if even half of you whining were going to be in the stands next week and the rest of the year I would feel different. Instead you'll all be home complaining about paying a few bucks to park and that you have to bring a clear bag when we literally get the highest quality football for what we spend as a program and as individual fans in the entire freaking country.

We are the mediocrity. This team has deserved better for several years. If you don't like what you see, go to the game and boo them so they can hear your opinion. Nothing says accepting mediocrity more than just posting on a message board.

See you all Saturday. Go Aggies!

If you are offended by my judgement of your fanhood in any way, good. Do something about it.
Perhaps the best post I have read on this board..



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15793
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am

I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”



bluegrouse
Posts: 3186
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 477 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by bluegrouse » September 1st, 2019, 10:11 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:34 am
Florida, this is not directed at you. I know what you give and have given for this school and this program. This is directed at the board in general.

What exactly are you asking fans to do when you say they must stop accepting mediocrity? Are you asking them to not show up to the game next week? Are you asking them to whine about firing the coach?

I hope not. Because when it comes to accepting mediocrity around here our fans need to look in the mirror. If you are tired or whatever and think it needs to be fixed quit whining on the stupid message board and buy season tickets and go to the game. Our fans are an embarrassment. If everyone in here, if even half of you whining were going to be in the stands next week and the rest of the year I would feel different. Instead you'll all be home complaining about paying a few bucks to park and that you have to bring a clear bag when we literally get the highest quality football for what we spend as a program and as individual fans in the entire freaking country.

We are the mediocrity. This team has deserved better for several years. If you don't like what you see, go to the game and boo them so they can hear your opinion. Nothing says accepting mediocrity more than just posting on a message board.

See you all Saturday. Go Aggies!

If you are offended by my judgement of your fanhood in any way, good. Do something about it.
Slow clap 👏 👏 👏

Great post. Still pissed about the loss but I’ll be there on Saturday in my white shirt striping the stadium even though I’m not huge fan of the shirt thing. In addition to my own family tickets, My brother and I bought season tickets for all of our employees this year (11 of them). Hopefully most of them will be there too. Like you said, if we want the team to step up their game, we as fans have to too.

As for getting more for our money than anyone in the country, we were one of 5 schools that finished in the Top 25 last year in football and basketball:

LSU - $205M annual athletic budget
Michigan - $180M
Kentucky - $68M
Cincinnati - $62M
.
.
.
.
.
Utah State - $35M

(Figures aren’t exactly right because I don’t remember them perfectly but they are close)

None of that means you can’t be critical of mistakes and bad play calling on the field. Just means we have a long way to go as fans to put our teams in better positions to compete (me included - which is why we decided to buy the tickets for our employees and that’s still a very, very minor contribution - $1250 - our season tickets are a steal). We all can do better.



USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by dyedblue » September 1st, 2019, 10:24 am

I'm not saying Gary isn't the right guy, I'm simply pointing out he's human and had a long ways to go to prove he was the right hire. I'm willing to give him time, and will be there to cheer this team on. We can still have a good season. It is only game one.

I do think I feel like those that weren't fans of the Duryea hire. I have higher expectations for Gary than a lot of other coaches because of his past success and what was in place when he got here. We have an all world QB, solid receivers, a good TE, a great running back, and an O line that even Gary evaluated as being good enough. On D he inhereted the best LB in the country and other solid LBs, and a very good DL. We returned several DBs from a defense that recorded 22 picks last season. We also have an All-American returner and believe it or not, a Lou Groza finalist.

I do feel like a few people are a little too sensitive to any criticism of this coaching staff. I haven't seen anyone call for Gary's or any one else's head. Pointing out mistakes is a far cry from that. That was a tough loss in a game we should have won. I hope lessons are learned. Our kids played their tails off (with exception of a few DBs that didn't seem to care or put in the necessary effort).

JFW


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
USUstudent13stewusu98


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2088
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 1st, 2019, 10:34 am

[b wrote:"Aggie formerly in Hawaii" [/b]post_id=588945 time=1567340472 user_id=4448]
It was a tough loss for sure, but people are highly overestimating a win over wake forest. Wake Forest is a nothingburger in [/b]the college football world. If you are looking for wins to impress recruits, beat san Diego state, fresno State and boise State. Boise State is light years ahead of wake forest on the college football landscape. Lsu obviously would be huge, but that isnt to be expected. Tough loss though. Obviously the ending was poor, but excited to watch this offense again. Gonna be putting up a lot of points.


Well noted... The fact we lost a profile game we should have won established the reality that a promising G5 team in the MWC can't beat a pedestrian P5 basement dweller in the ACC. HUGE INDICTMENT against our program.

In the coming days it will be interesting to learn why our staff couldn't adjust to Wake Forest during the game. Many of us thought Utah State should win that game, and we certainly had the defensive talent to shut down the Wake offense,,,BUT WE FAILED, didn't perform on a high profile stage.

I yet have hopes and expectations for this season, but to cough it up again during a big game won't benefit our AGGIES.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 10:36 am

bluegrouse wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:11 am
GeoAg wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 12:34 am
Florida, this is not directed at you. I know what you give and have given for this school and this program. This is directed at the board in general.

What exactly are you asking fans to do when you say they must stop accepting mediocrity? Are you asking them to not show up to the game next week? Are you asking them to whine about firing the coach?

I hope not. Because when it comes to accepting mediocrity around here our fans need to look in the mirror. If you are tired or whatever and think it needs to be fixed quit whining on the stupid message board and buy season tickets and go to the game. Our fans are an embarrassment. If everyone in here, if even half of you whining were going to be in the stands next week and the rest of the year I would feel different. Instead you'll all be home complaining about paying a few bucks to park and that you have to bring a clear bag when we literally get the highest quality football for what we spend as a program and as individual fans in the entire freaking country.

We are the mediocrity. This team has deserved better for several years. If you don't like what you see, go to the game and boo them so they can hear your opinion. Nothing says accepting mediocrity more than just posting on a message board.

See you all Saturday. Go Aggies!

If you are offended by my judgement of your fanhood in any way, good. Do something about it.
Slow clap 👏 👏 👏

Great post. Still pissed about the loss but I’ll be there on Saturday in my white shirt striping the stadium even though I’m not huge fan of the shirt thing. In addition to my own family tickets, My brother and I bought season tickets for all of our employees this year (11 of them). Hopefully most of them will be there too. Like you said, if we want the team to step up their game, we as fans have to too.

As for getting more for our money than anyone in the country, we were one of 5 schools that finished in the Top 25 last year in football and basketball:

LSU - $205M annual athletic budget
Michigan - $180M
Kentucky - $68M
Cincinnati - $62M
.
.
.
.
.
Utah State - $35M

(Figures aren’t exactly right because I don’t remember them perfectly but they are close)

None of that means you can’t be critical of mistakes and bad play calling on the field. Just means we have a long way to go as fans to put our teams in better positions to compete (me included - which is why we decided to buy the tickets for our employees and that’s still a very, very minor contribution - $1250 - our season tickets are a steal). We all can do better.


[Awesome post great job buying tickets for your employees this is exactly what we need.]



AGGZILLA
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by AGGZILLA » September 1st, 2019, 10:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:32 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:24 am
Elkaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
Amen. You on a roll!
I agree about the play calling on the one play, but what I don’t like is how some on this board have extrapolated that out to mean that Gary is not the right man for the job.
Has anyone said that? All I’ve seen is concern that the roughly three thousand losses Gary teams have suffered because of poor end of game management has seemed to have taught Gary nothing.
Ineptimus is on fire.


"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 10:39 am

AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:37 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:32 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:24 am
Elkaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:03 am
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:57 am
I'm not trying to open a can of worms or old wounds, but Gary may not be what you are painting him to be. He is a mercenary and he is smooth as silk. What he sells and what he does isn't always the same. While he is a players coach, he does have major flaws in his game management and overall approach. Are you sure he wouldn't bail if given an offer he can't refuse?

Don't forget what he did to get the Oregon State job and to his assistants once there. He is not exactly loyal to anyone around him and has proven he'll do what is best for himself. I hope that is behind him and that our next coach is being groomed. Maile, Ena, Sanford.

Gary didn't bring in JUCO guys, he brought in grad transfers that are here for one year. If that isn't a short cut then what is? JUCO guys are here for 2-3 years. He also failed to bring in corner backs to fill an obvious need. He brought in the kid from ASU because he realized we were screwed once camp started and it was too late. Maybe we should have brought in a couple of tight ends to cover opposing receivers.

That said, he seems to be really invested in his gig here at Utah State and had built a solid staff. Maile needs to be in a position to become our next coach in a few years. It still could go either way, but Chris Petersen Gary is not and he has a lot to prove.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary does have his flaws but I feel people for some reason fail to remember that he is the reason Utah State has been a competitive football program for the past ten years. Anytime it’s your first year at a new program you are going to have struggles. I don’t know what we expected as a fan base this year, 12-0? The game against Wake Forest was very frustrating and the call on 3rd and 4 was a bad one, but that is far from the only reason we lost the game.
Was not expecting 12-0. In fact, was not expecting even to beat Wake.

What I do expect is coaches to not make boneheaded decisions when we are in position to win games. We were fortunate to be in a position to win the game notwithstanding a million mistakes and just blew it. Sure, I guess you can say “players make plays,” but I don’t think anyone can fault the O line and Jaylen Warren for not getting four yards against a stacked box on third and four on a run up the gut. The playcalling in that scenario did not put our players in a position to “make a play” to “win the game.”
Amen. You on a roll!
I agree about the play calling on the one play, but what I don’t like is how some on this board have extrapolated that out to mean that Gary is not the right man for the job.
Has anyone said that? All I’ve seen is concern that the roughly three thousand losses Gary teams have suffered because of poor end of game management has seemed to have taught Gary nothing.
Ineptimus is on fire.
I've seen multiple people say that, as well as that our offensive coordinator sucks.



AGGZILLA
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by AGGZILLA » September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.


"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.
Well to win a conference championship I would say you have to be dang good at in-game and end of game management.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2019, 11:04 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:59 am
AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.
Well to win a conference championship I would say you have to be dang good at in-game and end of game management.

Not if you’re beating up on the little sisters of the poor like we were in the WAC. The only game we won that was close that year was La. Tech, IIRC.

Gary is a great motivator and program builder. No question there. I think it’s fairly obvious that serious end of game management issues have followed him his whole career.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
USUstudent13



AGGZILLA
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by AGGZILLA » September 1st, 2019, 11:08 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:59 am
AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.
Well to win a conference championship I would say you have to be dang good at in-game and end of game management.
No doubt, but if you remember the game vs LT that won the WAC title, we had jumped out to a 41-17 lead before we went, again, into our patented not-trying-to-lose-the-game philosophy in the final quarter where LT came back to tie it and send it to OT. Fortunately for us, we had a big enough lead that it didn’t end with LT winning it at the end of regulation, but if memory serves me right, we were practically giving the game away and they scored 10 pts in the final two min to send it to OT.


"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 762
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by El Sapo » September 1st, 2019, 11:09 am

Main reason I didn't like the GA hire? It's posted many times above in different ways. We're rewarding him with a job for something he did for the school in the past.

That's not how winning organizations operate.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by Aggie84025 » September 1st, 2019, 11:13 am

El Sapo wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:09 am
Main reason I didn't like the GA hire? It's posted many times above in different ways. We're rewarding him with a job for something he did for the school in the past.

That's not how winning organizations operate.


[Who would you have hired or preferred we hire?]



USUstudent13
Posts: 168
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by USUstudent13 » September 1st, 2019, 11:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:04 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:59 am
AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.
Well to win a conference championship I would say you have to be dang good at in-game and end of game management.

Not if you’re beating up on the little sisters of the poor like we were in the WAC. The only game we won that was close that year was La. Tech, IIRC.

Gary is a great motivator and program builder. No question there. I think it’s fairly obvious that serious end of game management issues have followed him his whole career.
Well if that's the case then he obviously shouldn't be our head coach right? If he truly makes "bone-headed" coaching decisions and is a coach that is stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that "snatches defeat from the Jaws of victory" like you say he is then he shouldn't be our head coach right?



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Why the Wake Loss Is a Big Deal

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2019, 11:24 am

USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:20 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:04 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:59 am
AGGZILLA wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:41 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:19 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
I don’t think Gary’s dumb. I was as frustrated as any of you Friday night, but we know 2 truths about Gary. He believes in having an offensive line that can get tough yards and a defense that can win the game. He preaches these two things continually. I think he was willing to roll the dice to reinforce these pillars of his philosophy. We were going to have a chance to win with either one and who knows if our defense could’ve held on if not for one fatal missed tackle.
Dumb, no. Stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory? The evidence would seem to suggest so.

There was nothing about the way our secondary was playing that should have made anyone think “Yep, let’s put this in their hands.”
If he is stuck in a philosophy that took an abysmal college football program and turned them into a conference champion then I'm good with that.
But you’re comparing philosophies of building a program overtime to in-game management, specifically end-of-game managment. These are two different things.
Well to win a conference championship I would say you have to be dang good at in-game and end of game management.

Not if you’re beating up on the little sisters of the poor like we were in the WAC. The only game we won that was close that year was La. Tech, IIRC.

Gary is a great motivator and program builder. No question there. I think it’s fairly obvious that serious end of game management issues have followed him his whole career.
Well if that's the case then he obviously shouldn't be our head coach right? If he truly makes "bone-headed" coaching decisions and is a coach that is stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that "snatches defeat from the Jaws of victory" like you say he is then he shouldn't be our head coach right?
Saying our coach has a glaring weakness isn’t at all saying he shouldn’t be our coach.

I was skeptical of the GA hire, but didn’t hate it. I just hate to see something that was a problem the last time around rear its head in game one. This just seems like a lesson he should have learned many times over at this point.



Locked Previous topicNext topic