Holding penalty

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

If I were the Referee, I would have...

Thrown the flag. It was clearly a penalty, and it doesn’t matter what happened the rest of the play. It was simply a stupid play by the DB that unfortunately had a larger impact than most holding calls.
51%
Not thrown the flag, but it was still penalty-worthy. WR was not close to being part of the play, and the rush was on the QB so quick that it didn’t matter if he had been wide open, the play would have been the exact same.
20%
Not thrown the flag. It was not a penalty. Throwing a flag would be a bad call.
29%

Total votes: 45

Aggs&Jazz12
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Holding penalty

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » September 5th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I am curious to see what the Aggie fan base thinks of the holding penalty that negated Woody’s stripped ball for a TD.

Aggs&Jazz12
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Holding penalty

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » September 5th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Also, if anyone has a clip of the play that they’d like to share, that would be great!

GameFAQSAggie
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 5th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Not even a 50/50 call, one you have to call since he grabbed the jersey and pulled him down by the jersey. We would certainly be arguing that it was holding if roles were reversed.

NVAggie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 379 times

Post by NVAggie » September 5th, 2019, 9:53 pm

When I saw it I thought it was a hold. He got blown up by the receiver.

brossp24
Been liked: 0

Post by brossp24 » September 5th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally I said easy penalty, but after another look at the above clip, it appears that Woodward has the ball before Adams could even grab the jersey after taking a shot to the face mask.

1TruAggie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 1TruAggie » September 6th, 2019, 12:13 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:Not even a 50/50 call, one you have to call since he grabbed the jersey and pulled him down by the jersey. We would certainly be arguing that it was holding if roles were reversed.

It’s a bang, bang play. The receiver initiated contact and wasn’t held until Woodward has the ball. Big change in momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueaggie
Been liked: 30 times

Post by blueaggie » September 6th, 2019, 12:30 am

I think it is a terrible call. The holding was after the receiver put a shoulder into the DB. Since when can a receiver block down field on a pass play. Should have been offensive pass interference. After the receiver knocks him over is he just supposed to let him run open down the field? But then again Wake Forest never commits penalties especially pick plays on our DB's The ref probably threw the flag after we scored the touchdown. Definitely a bogus call. Again I have said this before if that game would have been in Logan we win by 3 or 4 touchdown. Go Aggies.
These users liked this post from blueaggie. Total Likes: 3
LarryTheAggieAggieFBObsessionNavyBlueAggie

dawgraphic
Been liked: 2 times

Post by dawgraphic » September 6th, 2019, 2:40 am

blueaggie wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 12:30 am
I think it is a terrible call. The holding was after the receiver put a shoulder into the DB. Since when can a receiver block down field on a pass play. Should have been offensive pass interference. After the receiver knocks him over is he just supposed to let him run open down the field? But then again Wake Forest never commits penalties especially pick plays on our DB's The ref probably threw the flag after we scored the touchdown. Definitely a bogus call. Again I have said this before if that game would have been in Logan we win by 3 or 4 touchdown. Go Aggies.
I'd agree with you if Adams had reacted in any other way. It's like in basketball, when the offensive guy lowers his shoulder into the defender, there are two ways to handle it:

1. Recover as quickly as possible, get back to playing clean defense, and hope the referee sees what just happened.
2. Allow physics to take its course, even if it means landing on your backside. Don't "flop," because the ref usually sees through it. The disadvantage to handling it this way is if the ref doesn't give you the call, your guy is wide open to throw to.

The only time to tackle the receiver is if you know you're burned, and you will give up a touchdown if you let him go. Then you tackle your guy and swallow the 15 yards.

AggieUprising50
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 6th, 2019, 7:49 am

This penalty cost us the game

AggieFBObsession
Has liked: 132 times

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 6th, 2019, 7:51 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:49 am
I think that way of thinking is a copout. The team needs to take responsibility for their mistakes. It's common and expected to have to overcome poor officiating on the road.

Murkymerk
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Murkymerk » September 6th, 2019, 7:56 am

Real question here: is pushing the DB down, 10 yards from scrimmage not a penalty? That’s what happened. Yes the DB held him, but only after getting blown up by that huge receiver.

AggieUprising50
Has liked: 38 times

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 6th, 2019, 9:22 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:51 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:49 am
I think that way of thinking is a copout. The team needs to take responsibility for their mistakes. It's common and expected to have to overcome poor officiating on the road.
I'm not blaming the refs dude. I was just stating that if the holding/holding call didn't happen we would have got the touchdown and won the game.

hipsterdoofus21
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 6th, 2019, 10:02 am

brossp24 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:59 pm
Originally I said easy penalty, but after another look at the above clip, it appears that Woodward has the ball before Adams could even grab the jersey after taking a shot to the face mask.
This. I haven't rewatched any of the game or highlights because it still hurts, but being able to see that view now it's clear that Woodward has the ball at the time of the collision. And that's really what it was, a collision. Initiated by the receiver and unfortunately as Adams is falling back he grabs for the receiver.

brownjeans
Flatulent
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by brownjeans » September 6th, 2019, 11:35 am

As Adams fell he reached and grabbed the WR (presumably to prevent the WR from running free, not a bad idea) - that grab makes it a clear holding penalty. Had Adams fell without grabbing the WR, it's a no-call.

If Adams stays balanced and on his toes, he's able to move his feet and keep from falling.

Aglicious
Site Admin
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by Aglicious » September 6th, 2019, 11:57 am

I would have liked to see the refs get together and talk about this one and for it to just remain a no-call. The collision down field had no bearing or affect on what occurred on the play. The QB was not holding on to the ball as he looked that direction, his eyes were to the opposite side of the field and he didn't even get his arm in a throwing motion before being stripped.

Just looking at the collision alone without knowing the results of the play, it could be argued that it should have been offensive PI for initiating contact. A USU WR was called for this very thing later in the game after making much less contact than that down field which negated a completion to another receiver.
These users liked this post from Aglicious. Total Likes: 4
Zaggie07USU78hipsterdoofus21Machismo

NavyBlueAggie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 6th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Excellent comment Aglicious. The officials should have talked about that play and reviewed/waved off the call against the defender.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic