Gary's coaching staff

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
El Sapo

Gary's coaching staff

Post by El Sapo » September 7th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I'm concerned. His stock as a coach has been trending downward since he left USU. He's said that he didn't have good people around him in the past. If you're a highly qualified guy looking to advance to you chose a head coach who will throw you under the bus lie that? Would you chose GA if you had other options?

I questioned the secondary coaches and somebody pointed our secondary coach is a first timer at that position. Is that the case in other areas? I know it's only one game but man, we had all offseason to prepare and I saw some poorly coached units. Did GA have to scrape the barrel for assistants?

The reason teams hire HC's is often decided by the quality of the staff they can bring with them...….

Chatman

Re: Gary's coaching staff

Post by Chatman » September 7th, 2019, 12:59 pm

El Sapo wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 12:55 pm
I'm concerned. His stock as a coach has been trending downward since he left USU. He's said that he didn't have good people around him in the past. If you're a highly qualified guy looking to advance to you chose a head coach who will throw you under the bus lie that? Would you chose GA if you had other options?

I questioned the secondary coaches and somebody pointed our secondary coach is a first timer at that position. Is that the case in other areas? I know it's only one game but man, we had all offseason to prepare and I saw some poorly coached units. Did GA have to scrape the barrel for assistants?

The reason teams hire HC's is often decided by the quality of the staff they can bring with them...….
I think he put together a very good staff
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
oleblu111

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm

This staff is extremely high quality and is way superior to the staff he was able to bring the first time. Nothing to see here. Move along.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » September 7th, 2019, 1:03 pm

El Sapo wrote:

GA has a great staff, I don't think anyone else in our pay range can bring in the players he does or get those said players to play any harder. We are lucky GA returned. We may have a handful of younger/unproven assistants, but at the end of the day we only have so much money.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 7th, 2019, 1:20 pm

The safeties coach is on his first paid job, but you have to start somewhere and he GA’d under Aranda. Quit trying to stir (I can't express myself without swearing) up, that’s my job. Google would have answered your concerns about our “secondaries coach.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 7th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Please explain the real reason why you dislike Gary Andersen. How can you make these negative comments about GA and his staff after just one game? Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
Cast Iron Aggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 7th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Gary put together a much better staff than I ever dreamed he would. Way to early for that kind of talk.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » September 7th, 2019, 1:56 pm

El Sapo wrote:

You need to give it a great dude!! It's fairly obvious to everyone that you have no clue!!

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » September 7th, 2019, 2:07 pm

El Sapo wrote:

Do tour research bud.. especially before you talk crap on our coaching staff.. my coaching staff!! Go aggies!!

feeah
Has thanked: 0

Post by feeah » September 7th, 2019, 3:39 pm

El Sapo wrote:I'm concerned. His stock as a coach has been trending downward since he left USU. He's said that he didn't have good people around him in the past. If you're a highly qualified guy looking to advance to you chose a head coach who will throw you under the bus lie that? Would you chose GA if you had other options?

I agree, I don’t think Ena was the right choice as DC. It appears Gary just hired his friend instead of doing a true national search. Maybe the defense will improve but the first game defense was awful.

That was one thing Wells did well, he took his time and found good coordinations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 7th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I think we have a better staff than the first time Gary was here. We had some coaching mistakes in the first game. Will they learn and correct them? We'll see.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 7th, 2019, 4:02 pm

feeah wrote:
El Sapo wrote:I'm concerned. His stock as a coach has been trending downward since he left USU. He's said that he didn't have good people around him in the past. If you're a highly qualified guy looking to advance to you chose a head coach who will throw you under the bus lie that? Would you chose GA if you had other options?

I agree, I don’t think Ena was the right choice as DC. It appears Gary just hired his friend instead of doing a true national search. Maybe the defense will improve but the first game defense was awful.

That was one thing Wells did well, he took his time and found good coordinations.

Wells didn't find Yost and he was by far the best coordinator that Wells had. Gary had some incredible DC hires his first time at Utah State. The jury's still out on the current staff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » September 7th, 2019, 10:38 pm

I don’t think the defensive backs are as bad as we thought. WF receivers just tore up Rice Friday night. I am thinking that is a very good receiving corps.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 7th, 2019, 10:53 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Wells didn't find Yost and he was by far the best coordinator that Wells had. Gary had some incredible DC hires his first time at Utah State. The jury's still out on the current staff.
Orlando and Patterson were both fantastic hires during Wells time. Obviously, opposite sides of the ball, so it is a difficult comparison, but I would consider them similar caliber to Yost.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 8th, 2019, 8:31 am

Gary put together an all star staff. Move along.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Aggie19

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

Gary definitely has plenty of issues to improve upon as do we all, but the staff he brought seems to be really solid. Sanford has coached at big time programs. The receivers coach as great experience including several years in the league. I am not completely sold on ENA, but I think he will be solid. Jury is still out on the cornerbacks and safeties coach, but overall the staff he assembled with our resources is very good. With what we pay we are not going to get the best position coaches at every spot.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » September 8th, 2019, 3:32 pm

"Plenty of issues"? You've got to be kidding. The man is a great person and a great coach---a fantastic recruiter. You realize don't you that GA and his family paid for our recent locker room renovation? (At least that is my understanding). I chafe at gratuitous, unwarranted and analytically silly criticism of him.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 8th, 2019, 5:18 pm

We are only 2 games in. Obviously the Wake game certainly is gonna bring up question marks with how bad the secondary was, but let's see if they can improve through the course of the year. Every team other than LSU is a possible win. I'm excited for San Diego State to see where the Aggies stand.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » September 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm

What a silly thread. GA has brought in a top notch staff and better than I could have ever predicted. This team is going to be coached well and give it everything they have every game. I think this team will get noticably stronger week in and week out. Most of all, the care factor is huge with this staff.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post:
Aggie19

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 3:32 pm
"Plenty of issues"? You've got to be kidding. The man is a great person and a great coach---a fantastic recruiter. You realize don't you that GA and his family paid for our recent locker room renovation? (At least that is my understanding). I chafe at gratuitous, unwarranted and analytically silly criticism of him.

[I was not meaning that he had issues as a person, but strictly talking about him as a football coach. I know I am not perfect in my job, but I don't think it came across correctly. I was trying to portray that while he is not perfect as a coach he certainly brought in a solid coaching staff. I don't know GA as a person, but from all accounts is a stand up guy. His players rave about him so obviously he is a good person. I apologize if it came across wrong.]

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » September 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm
This staff is extremely high quality and is way superior to the staff he was able to bring the first time. Nothing to see here. Move along.
I agree with this. I think this staff is excellent. I don't think we should criticize the DB's coaches when we have had several injuries there. They are young. I think they will be fine. I do like the 3-3 better than the 4-2, but that is a personal preference.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 8th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 3:32 pm
None of us are without faults.
Last edited by brownjeans on September 9th, 2019, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » September 9th, 2019, 1:41 am

My one concern that I have is that we haven't heard much about the coach that prepared us so well for the bowl game, Frank Maille. We do have him on staff right? Why hasn't he got the accolades from GA? As I understand it the players love Frank also. What position does Frank coach? The media hasn't even talked about him. He is one of the reasons a lot of our players stayed. Otherwise, we would have lost a lot from what I have heard! Just curious as to what Frank has been doing, cause we don't hear from the media, and I haven't heard Gary talk about him? Maybe I am way off here, if I am I will acknowledge my lack of knowing the ins and outs of Team Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2019, 5:53 am

I don't think it's a coaching issue with the cornerbacks at all. It's a personel issue. Gary prefers a pressure defense that involves CBs to be able to pressure a WR at the line of scrimmage and play man coverage. The prior coaching staff clearly preferred more zone. Some cornerbacks can play man and zone. Some cornerbacks can't. I think we're finding out who can and can't. Those that can will play.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
NVAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 8:34 am

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as being someone who loves the coaching staff Gary put together. In college football, and especially at Utah State, there's other important factors than just X's and O's. Recruiting and player relationships are big as well.

When you consider all of those 3 things and that we're a smaller school in terms of revenue and coaches salaries, I'm ecstatic about our staff.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on September 9th, 2019, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
stewusu98

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2019, 8:39 am

When it comes to recruiting, these guys are going to really need to show what they can do when the 2021 class rolls around.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 9th, 2019, 8:41 am

I recall our offering a lot of CBs....I'm guessing that they are recruiting the type of guys that they need to be successful with their scheme.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2019, 8:56 am

newhouse9 wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:41 am
I recall our offering a lot of CBs....I'm guessing that they are recruiting the type of guys that they need to be successful with their scheme.
I do have a full recruiting board pinned here at the top of the home football page.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:15 am

I like this staff and the promise they bring of another successful recruiting effort. I honestly do look at the defense and wonder about the 4-2 alignment vs the 3-4. Yes, we have some fine D linemen, yet I'm not seeing our linebackers successfully blitzing and disrupting the offense as in prior seasons.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » September 9th, 2019, 10:01 am

troutputz wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 1:41 am
My one concern that I have is that we haven't heard much about the coach that prepared us so well for the bowl game, Frank Maille. We do have him on staff right? Why hasn't he got the accolades from GA? As I understand it the players love Frank also. What position does Frank coach? The media hasn't even talked about him. He is one of the reasons a lot of our players stayed. Otherwise, we would have lost a lot from what I have heard! Just curious as to what Frank has been doing, cause we don't hear from the media, and I haven't heard Gary talk about him? Maybe I am way off here, if I am I will acknowledge my lack of knowing the ins and outs of Team Aggies!
Yes, Frank is on staff, as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach.
A few weeks ago there was an interview with Gary where he talked quite a bit about Frank. He spoke very highly of him and sounded grateful that Frank stuck around. Gary talked about how good of a guy Frank is, and how that’s the most important thing when hiring coaches. I don’t remember any specifics, like who was interviewing him or when it was.
Also the guys on Aggie Legends interviewed Frank on the media day episode. It was a good interview, and he seems like a great guy who really cares about the kids and Aggie football.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyNVAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 9th, 2019, 12:47 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:15 am
I like this staff and the promise they bring of another successful recruiting effort. I honestly do look at the defense and wonder about the 4-2 alignment vs the 3-4. Yes, we have some fine D linemen, yet I'm not seeing our linebackers successfully blitzing and disrupting the offense as in prior seasons.
The pressure situation has little to do with the 4-2 alignment. There weren't any sacks vs. Stony Brook but the Aggies got a lot of pressure and their QB was rolling out as a design. We blitzed A gap a lot and had pressure off the edge on the pick and a couple other plays.

Against Wake its true our 4 man line struggled to get a rush. We did get 2 sacks called back including Woodwards' strip sack ( and the hands to the face call (I think Fua) that either one would have probably turned the game had they held up.

In a 3-4 or 3-3-5 Tipa is going 80% of the time anyway so the scheme is not that much different. The real difference vs. Wake was the TRO they ran. You have to keep guys at home and in their assignments so a 4 man rush made sense. Tipa in particular was blocked very welll. Give them credit.

Yes a 3-4 can be fun with a lot of disguises too but in a sense its got a bit of a gimmick quality to it that can be exploited particularly with DB issues. Kind of boom or bust. Teams use it to disguise weaknesses in their D line where they don't have the types of Athlete at end that can both run stop, pass rush, and stretch the D. When your 4 guys are getting a great rush there is nothing better than being able to be physical with receivers to knock them out of timing with help over the top. What Wyoming did to us last year.

Right now I think the issue with the rush the first game anyway was Tipa. When he gets it going we're gonna think a lot different about this D. Even if we were in a 3-4 that's still the key.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 9th, 2019, 1:15 pm

When Gary came here in ‘08 he said “it makes sense with the kids we can recruit to go to a 3-4”, implying the Doughty and Vigil types of guys he could get in and turn into beasts. The minute they got here this time it was 4 man front. I’m extrapolating that the thinking is we can now have a better shot at getting the big d lineman and ends that they couldn’t get 9 years ago and it matched better with what we had coming back.

Hail Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 9th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Gary has a straight-forward defensive philosophy: Beat your man. We played pretty straight the first time with Aranda.
Orlando was much more aggressive with blitzing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic