Utes giving the finger to BYU... again.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Utes giving the finger to BYU... again.

Post by brownjeans » September 23rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

Utes and dumping BYU in 2022/2023 for a home/home with Florida. Can't say that I blame them, a home/home with Florida sounds awesome.

I guess the news is that the Utes are pricks; and that's not really news - SNAFU. Yada-yada. Carry on.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78

gomretat

Re: Utes giving the finger to BYU... again.

Post by gomretat » September 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

Utes making the right call for the Utes. Just what every school should do.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 3):
oleblu111thegreendalegelfBleedAggieBlue0

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 23rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

They have beaten YBU 9 games in a row which is close to what our series with Weber is. The fans now find conference games more interesting than ones with the school they were forced to play. Do not blame them one bit.

Perhaps someday our fans will learn that conference games are more important than what YBU is, like the bowl game with a pac-12 school to the winner.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 23rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

The bigger news here is that this is the first time that Florida will leave the state of Florida in OOC play in 32 years.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 7):
BustaMcNuttZaggie07aggies22AggieFBObsessionIdaAg93sneedTrueBlueFan

GUS

Post by GUS » September 23rd, 2019, 4:23 pm

Utah wants to continue to recruit Florida and Florida wants to see if they can steal some Polynesians from Utah.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 23rd, 2019, 4:37 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:21 pm
The bigger news here is that this is the first time that Florida will leave the state of Florida in OOC play in 32 years.

[Is the 32 years only true for a true OOC road game or for an OOC game in general. I am pretty positive they played Michigan in Dallas a few years ago.]

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 23rd, 2019, 4:43 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
While this may be the first time they do it, they've already had series scheduled with Texas and Colorado to break this streak. Just so happens they could fit the Utes in first.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 23rd, 2019, 4:44 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:37 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
Is the 32 years only true for a true OOC road game or for an OOC game in general. I am pretty positive they played Michigan in Dallas a few years ago.
It's probably just for a true road game.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 23rd, 2019, 4:48 pm

Not much of a rivalry anymore, neither will ours be after this year when it's 3 in a row.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 23rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:44 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:37 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
Is the 32 years only true for a true OOC road game or for an OOC game in general. I am pretty positive they played Michigan in Dallas a few years ago.
It's probably just for a true road game.
First true road game against an out of conference school outside Florida since 91 at Syracuse I believe.

They’ve played true road games against Miami and FSU and obviously conference games.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 23rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

I would give up playing byu to get a one and one with Florida in a heart beat.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 23rd, 2019, 5:47 pm

Wait until the Utah State Legislature gets hold of this info and they twist the arms of the Utah AD to make them figure out a way to play BYU or lose state funding.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

BeNo

Post by BeNo » September 23rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

jpswensen wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 5:47 pm
Wait until the Utah State Legislature gets hold of this info and they twist the arms of the Utah AD to make them figure out a way to play BYU or lose state funding.
If they were to do such a thing, only State run Universities should be involved.

Unfortunately they have already discussed your scenario once. Real kicker is it was was an Aggie alum pushing- didn’t like him much from interaction while attending USU.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 23rd, 2019, 5:56 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:11 pm
They have beaten YBU 9 games in a row which is close to what our series with Weber is. The fans now find conference games more interesting than ones with the school they were forced to play. Do not blame them one bit.

Perhaps someday our fans will learn that conference games are more important than what YBU is, like the bowl game with a pac-12 school to the winner.
Agree, except that we have to look at BYU through the lens of recruiting and respectability within the state and region. We've only been a respectable program since 2010/2011. Keep beating BYU and then eventually do away with them.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

TheBigSilk

Post by TheBigSilk » September 23rd, 2019, 7:01 pm

I don't know what the benefit is, but I feel like the more their rivalry dissolves, the better for the Aggies.
These users thanked the author TheBigSilk for the post:
BLUERUFiO

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » September 23rd, 2019, 7:40 pm

I think it will just place more interest/importance on our game with BYU when they aren’t playing the U.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
Smokin Joe

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » September 23rd, 2019, 8:15 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 5:56 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Agree, except that we have to look at BYU through the lens of recruiting and respectability within the state and region. We've only been a respectable program since 2010/2011. Keep beating BYU and then eventually do away with them.
I wish we didn't play BYU. No respect for dominating them, even if done consecutively. There's always some excuse about how the Aggies aren't good and BYU just had the sun in their eyes that year. You play teams like Wake, their fans respect you. Nationally, people respect both teams as good teams. BYU is a self-righteous downward trending team that lives in the past and can't get over the 'little brother' thing when looking at us. About time to move on and play some more 'Wake Forest teams'. Time to drop BYU in order to make room for getting some p5 wins to build the program and winning bigtime conference championships against big-time MW teams. We are on the verge of becoming a SDS, then Fresno St, then hopefully a Boise St. Would love to see that trend continue under GA.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 23rd, 2019, 8:20 pm

sdiggety wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I wish we didn't play BYU. No respect for dominating them, even if done consecutively. There's always some excuse about how the Aggies aren't good and BYU just had the sun in their eyes that year. You play teams like Wake, their fans respect you. Nationally, people respect both teams as good teams. BYU is a self-righteous downward trending team that lives in the past and can't get over the 'little brother' thing when looking at us. About time to move on and play some more 'Wake Forest teams'. Time to drop BYU in order to make room for getting some p5 wins to build the program and winning bigtime conference championships against big-time MW teams. We are on the verge of becoming a SDS, then Fresno St, then hopefully a Boise St. Would love to see that trend continue under GA.
We can beat BYU and do it regularly. We can't beat any of the P5s we play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » September 23rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

dyedblue wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 8:20 pm
sdiggety wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

We can beat BYU and do it regularly. We can't beat any of the P5s we play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. Have to keep grinding with BYU and prove we can sustain the uptrend and start getting some W's before even thinking about dropping them. Still a good win for us where we are currently at. Guilty of looking to far ahead.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » September 24th, 2019, 12:08 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 7:40 pm
I think it will just place more interest/importance on our game with BYU when they aren’t playing the U.
Absolutely.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » September 24th, 2019, 12:24 am

USU should stop playing BYU and replace them with a Power 5 program. I think it would serve us better to do that as BYU isn't respected as much as a team with P-5 status.

#hornsup!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 24th, 2019, 6:55 am

Blue Sage wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 12:24 am
USU should stop playing BYU and replace them with a Power 5 program. I think it would serve us better to do that as BYU isn't respected as much as a team with P-5 status.
So you only want five home games or you know P5s who want to play home and home with us?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 24th, 2019, 7:25 am

EH, playing BYU is fun. We all like to make fun of them and they are a good opponent. When we can replace them for a home and home with a P5, let's talk.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 24th, 2019, 9:03 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I see no reason to drop them from the schedule. My wish is that USU fans did not view them as more important than our conference games. If we have a sell out this season it will be for them.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 24th, 2019, 9:14 am

oleblu111 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 9:03 am
If we have a sell out this season it will be for them.
Part of that is because they have more fans there then any other team we play. Most teams on our schedule can't fill the visitor section. BYU (and Boise) fans fill their section and then some.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 24th, 2019, 9:29 am

oleblu111 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 9:03 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I see no reason to drop them from the schedule. My wish is that USU fans did not view them as more important than our conference games. If we have a sell out this season it will be for them.
I think (I hope) the perception that BYU is our most important game will change as we continue to succeed. Until we started winning consistently in 2011 we had nothing to play for except for the once-every-20 year-upset-of-BYU. We weren't going to win a conference championship nor were we going to be bowl eligible. BYU became our bowl game by default where even dispassionate and apathetic fans could rally around the team even if for just one week.

Keep winning 8 + games a year, compete for conference championships and go bowling consistently and BYU becomes almost a non-factor in another decade. But I think we still may have to play them for regional recruiting purposes. Utah is playing for a Rose Bowl /New Year's Day Bowl Game every year and to do so means recruiting everywhere successfully; this requires national exposure by playing teams like UF in a home-and home where both programs increase their brand exposure across the country. Playing BYU just doesn't give them as much upside anymore, especially as BYU has taken a few steps backwards where an upset loss to them is a huge negative for Utah.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111NVAggie

Full

Post by Full » September 24th, 2019, 11:51 am

ProvoAggie wrote:The bigger news here is that this is the first time that Florida will leave the state of Florida in OOC play in 32 years.
If they don’t buy out the return game. Playing in Florida first is risky. I’m surprised Florida State is traveling to Boise. Although, buying out Taggart is going to cost some money.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » September 26th, 2019, 11:03 am

I'm a great deal more concerned about the finger they have given to USU. We are nowhere on their radar for a game. I don't give a $h$t about BYU.
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post:
BearLakeMonster

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 26th, 2019, 11:29 am

Agezzz wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:03 am
I'm a great deal more concerned about the finger they have given to USU. We are nowhere on their radar for a game. I don't give a $h$t about BYU.
I was using this story to illustrate that the UofU is a bag of dicks. I don't care about BYU either (also a bag of dicks).
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13lionhead

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 26th, 2019, 11:50 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:29 am
Agezzz wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:03 am
I was using this story to illustrate that the UofU is a bag of dicks. I don't care about BYU either (also a bag of dicks).
I thought the 'y' was a bag of douche?
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 2):
brownjeanslionhead

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » September 26th, 2019, 11:56 am

This is what BYU has to say to Utah:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 26th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:56 am

Their words (word) are (is) hurtful.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 26th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:56 am

Somebody is going to have their temple privileges revoked.

Locked Previous topicNext topic