Condensed Film

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Condensed Film

Post by hickaggie » September 24th, 2019, 4:48 pm

These things make for the ability to get some pretty easy film study minus a lot of what is happening with the secondary. It would be good to get a discussion going on here with all the different perspective and knowledge. Since its what I like I just kind of skimmed the D a bit and here are my thoughts.

1. Those who claim are scheme is too generic are misplaced. The Aggies ran about every kind of D you could think of this game. Moved Tipa around. Dropped nose guards into coverage (caused the interception BTW).

2. SDSU is like watching fine wine on offense except for the QB. Nothing sweeter than well blocked power rushing. They always get more blockers to the point of attack and play hard. Aggies did a good job overall staying low and playing to the whistle although SDSU also created holes and their backs generally showed good vision.

3. SDSU max protected every play. A minimum 6 blockers on each pass play. They have a good O-line. Don't blame our pass rush. 3 on 6 or 4 on 6 vs. a displined line isn't easy.

4. SDSU's pass offense is very well designed with crossing, and rub routes exc to give their suppar QB a chance. They are just a good well coached team.

4. Our D are good tacklers. Other than the slant for a TD they kept several potential big plays more or less contained.

5. On the other hand...that Aggie secondary. They need to be more consistent and more aggressive. And Haney. If he is going to play he needs to pick up his game. He is probably doing all he can physically but mentally he is not playing like an upperclassmen. His mental errors cost both TDs in the 4th quarter.

There are a lot more specific breakdowns I thought about here but those are kind of my impressions. Youtube and these condensed games are awesome. I just wish we could access the full view of the field film somehow. The goal post view and the side views. They do a ref training clinic in the salt lake area for college refs every spring and the RMFL and UTFL provide the games and they have the high goal post and side views and give you each play for each when they post the videos. It is awesome. I know they have TV copyright and all but I wish they would provide those views for the fans following the games on a youtube channel or something.

We miss so much with the close up views TV always wants to show.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyMachismooleblu111

ViAggie

Re: Condensed Film

Post by ViAggie » September 24th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Agree completely, at time I thought we played too conservative on Defense, but we did what we had to do and I get that. We made some mistakes that essentially allowed them to come back, but their D did a good lob of limiting what we could do after we would make a big play. It was a good satisfying win.

Notice we didn't try and run up the score at the end when we could have? That's class.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 24th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I looked at the box score and it showed the SDSU penalties as 7-61. However, doesn't that intentional grounding count as 37 yards all by itself? They started on the 39 and ended on the 2. There were at least two other PI penalties, so there can't really be any way that their other 6 penalties only made up 4 yards each, right?

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I'm pretty sure we declined it because it was 4th down and the game was over. Pretty classy not to line up and try and score, I would have thought about it.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » September 24th, 2019, 6:55 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm
I'm pretty sure we declined it because it was 4th down and the game was over. Pretty classy not to line up and try and score, I would have thought about it.
I don’t think that we declined the penalty or it would have been an incomplete pass and the ball would have been placed back at the 39.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » September 24th, 2019, 7:16 pm

The grounding play counted as a sack for Tei.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » September 24th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Man Shaq had a great game!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 24th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:Man Shaq had a great game!
It's almost like he was the MVP of the game or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 24th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Dear lord we should have won by 25.
Scarver, Bond , Warren.... awesome.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 24th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Mariner was huge on several 3rd down throws. Scarver has really stepped up to be a 2nd major threat. If secondary would have stayed in proper position we would have won by 2-3 scores. Overall great game against a team that is super tough.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 24th, 2019, 8:47 pm

He didn't have a huge single play, but Carson Terrell had a very solid game. After having several damaging drops his freshman season, he has really improved his hands, and with Repp provide two great targets at TE.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

Nobody here knows anything.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 24th, 2019, 9:29 pm

OKAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 8:47 pm
He didn't have a huge single play, but Carson Terrell had a very solid game. After having several damaging drops his freshman season, he has really improved his hands, and with Repp provide two great targets at TE.
Dax who?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 24th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Coaches have some work to do with teaching screen blocking. We had some major breakdowns with those plays.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2019, 5:52 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Coaches have some work to do with teaching screen blocking. We had some major breakdowns with those plays.
Give credit to the SDSU defense. They sniffed it out quite well. #44 was a beast.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 25th, 2019, 6:47 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 5:52 am
brownjeans wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Give credit to the SDSU defense. They sniffed it out quite well. #44 was a beast.
If the OL had their eyes pointed in front of them as they moved into position looking for their blocking responsibilities and simply got beat I'd agree, but twice I saw the OL moving to get into position while watching the RB to see if he caught the ball, then turn, too late, as the SDSU guy went by. He had no chance to block it because he wasn't looking at the right thing. Never even saw it.

It's also not just the SDSU game, or constrained to only inside screens. We have similar problems on WR screens. Blockers need to focus on their job and block somebody.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Roy McAvoy

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 28th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Just saw another example of blocking fail on a screen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 28th, 2019, 9:57 pm

I agree. We aren't looking down to find our blocks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic