Game Postponement

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tinplater

Game Postponement

Post by tinplater » September 27th, 2019, 9:22 am

Just curious, are there circumstances where a game is rescheduled or not completed because of thunderstorms? I was at an ASU game where the stadium seating areas were evacuated because of a huge thunderstorm but it was so long ago I can't recall if the game was resumed much later, or stopped completely?

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Re: Game Postponement

Post by Floppy Hat » September 27th, 2019, 9:37 am

I think a lightning delay would have to go on pretty long (more than 3 hours) for a game to actually be postponed.

Earlier this year, Cal played at Washington and a lightning delay started with about 10 minutes left in the first quarter (about 8:00 Pacific time). The delay lasted 2.5 hours before they resumed playing. I think the game ended around 1:30 AM.

Back in 2015, our game against Colorado State had a lightning delay when they evacuated the stands just as halftime was starting. We ended up with like a 45 minute half time/lightning delay.

I think there would have to be a facility issue (power outage, field flooding) for the game to actually be postponed.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » September 27th, 2019, 9:38 am

Normally the game will be delayed if lightning is occuring within a certain distance(8 miles) of the stadium. It is not uncommon for the delays to last up to several hours. The games cannot restart until 30 minute after the last lightning strike. I have heard a few games canceled where the lightning was expected to last for a longer period. The decision to cancel takes into account the travel arrangements of the visiting team and whether the charter airplanes can delay there flights

If I remember right I believe Boise State had there bowl game cancelled last year in Dallas after about a quarter of play due to
lightning and a forecast of it lasting for several areas

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 27th, 2019, 9:51 am

According to the forecast there appears to be a very real possibility of significant thunderstorm activity 10 am to midnight Saturday. Too bad not playing this afternoon!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

A few years back Oklahoma State was playing at Tulsa in a game already scheduled to not start until 9 pm locally (frigging Fox Sports...). Just before kickoff there were lightning strikes and the teams went back to the locker rooms. Every time it would get close to a 30 minute interval, there would be another strike. They didn't end up kicking off until about 12:15 am, and the game didn't end until after 3. Great piece about it here.

Not to say you'd have to play it, but there's precedent for just waiting it out no matter how long it takes

Nobody here knows anything.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » September 27th, 2019, 9:58 am

I was at the Ohio State vs Miami (OH) game last weekend. With about 10 minutes left it started to pour, then with about 2 1/2 minutes left lightning struck within the 8 mile distance so they announced a weather delay. As the score was out of hand and there was so little time left, both coaches agreed to call the game.

I just found an interesting story from 2018 about the Idaho @ Florida game from 2014. The teams warmed like usual, then lightning struck and what started as a 30 minute delay turned into 3 hours. Eventually they kicked off at 10 pm but then after Florida returned the opening kickoff 64 yards, lightning struck again and they cancelled the game around midnight.

I have a hard time believing Logan will have THAT bad of weather, but never know! Fingers crossed the lightning stays away until the game is out of hand.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... y-canceled

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 27th, 2019, 9:59 am

Last year Virginia Tech was set to play a game against ECU was cancelled. Virginia Tech ended up being able to schedule a game vs. Marshall to become bowl eligible. It likely would not have been made up had it not been needed for bowl eligibility. (But much of that is ECUs fault)

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 27th, 2019, 10:19 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 9:59 am
Last year Virginia Tech was set to play a game against ECU was cancelled. Virginia Tech ended up being able to schedule a game vs. Marshall to become bowl eligible. It likely would not have been made up had it not been needed for bowl eligibility. (But much of that is ECUs fault)
Hey, if you make it rain, can you make it stop?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 27th, 2019, 10:27 am

tinplater wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:19 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
Nope.

"Betta Grab an Umbrella"

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » September 27th, 2019, 10:32 am

tinplater wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I always assume he made that Apple proprietary rail-restricted transport device....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author lcrasmus for the post:
BearLakeMonster

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2019, 10:46 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:27 am
tinplater wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
Nope.

"Betta Grab an Umbrella"
You have no shot in hell of getting an umbrella in and in the event you do, the moment you put it up, the "yellow vests" will be all over like you were strapped to a bomb.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:46 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:27 am
tinplater wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
Nope.

"Betta Grab an Umbrella"
You have no shot in hell of getting an umbrella in and in the event you do, the moment you put it up, the "yellow vests" will be all over like you were strapped to a bomb.
Good thing I've gotta hand full of stacks!

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » September 27th, 2019, 11:11 am

In the event of cancellation, how well that impact our chances at a MWC title?

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 27th, 2019, 11:19 am

USUMAE wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 11:11 am
In the event of cancellation, how well that impact our chances at a MWC title?
So lets say we beat Boise and lose to Fresno. We would be 6-1. Boise would be 7-1. We still win it right?

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » September 27th, 2019, 11:29 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 11:19 am
USUMAE wrote:
In the event of cancellation, how will that impact our chances at a MWC title?
So lets say we beat Boise and lose to Fresno. We would be 6-1. Boise would be 7-1. We still win it right?

I'd argue that since we won the head to head we should win it as we don't have control over the weather. Furthermore we didn't lose any division games.

One could, however, argue that having essentially an extra bye helped us and that we were basically gifted a win.

Though what fans argue doesn't matter. It's the league rules that matter.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » September 27th, 2019, 11:44 am

USUMAE wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 11:29 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 11:19 am
USUMAE wrote:
In the event of cancellation, how will that impact our chances at a MWC title?

I'd argue that since we won the head to head we should win it as we don't have control over the weather. Furthermore we didn't lose any division games.

One could, however, argue that having essentially an extra bye helped us and that we were basically gifted a win.

Though what fans argue doesn't matter. It's the league rules that matter.
I believe Boise would win, as we would have won 85% of our conference games and they would have won 87.5% of theirs.

"6.4 Divisional Champions. A divisional champion shall be the team with the highest winning
percentage in all Conference contests, both inter-divisional and intra-divisional, in the division.
Additional information regarding divisional champions and divisional tie-breaking procedures can
be found in the Mountain West Football Championship Game Manual. (Adopted January 2013)"

Football Rules Book - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... tball_.pdf

Divisional Champion Tiebreaking Rules - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... reaker.pdf

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 27th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I think Iowa State vs whomever in week one this year had a several hour delay and still finished. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it was to be an afternoon start that didn't end until late at night due to the delays.

Game won't be cancelled. We have hurricanes and the games just get moved to earlier in the day or later in the year if it's a conference game. Non-conference games/body bag games might get nixed.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Surprised nobody has brought up the BYU-Utah game, yet.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Surprised nobody has brought up the BYU-Utah game, yet.
I've never heard of those teams.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » September 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 12:46 pm
I think Iowa State vs whomever in week one this year had a several hour delay and still finished. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it was to be an afternoon start that didn't end until late at night due to the delays.

Game won't be cancelled. We have hurricanes and the games just get moved to earlier in the day or later in the year if it's a conference game. Non-conference games/body bag games might get nixed.
We don't have overlapping bye weeks with CSU, and just from a quick glance at the remaining schedules CSU only has conference games left. Their bye is the same week as our game vs Nevada. The logistics of rescheduling a conference game at this time of year would be a nightmare. So... yeah I imagine they'll play at midnight even if there's no one left in the stadium.
These users thanked the author dhilk3785 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 27th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Any of those articles mention what happened with TV for some of those games? I'm not sure if I can convince my wife to stay hours later than planned, so if there's a rain delay I may need to try and catch the rest on TV if it's available. I imagine there are others who would want to do the same.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:

It was Iowa St vs Iowa in week 3. They had 2 delays - the first after about 6 minutes of play which went around 60-90 minutes - and the second about 1 minute into the 2nd quarter which went around 2 hours. Kickoff was around 3pm, and the game ended around 9pm.

Interesting sidenote: it was the same TV crew at the ISU/Iowa game that called the WashState game the week before which was mentioned earlier in the thread. After the first "somewhat" short rain delay, they talked at length about being glad they didn't get a 3 hour delay like the prior week, I guess they didn't knock on wood...

BBD- they stuck with the broadcast through the end of the game. It was FS1, and I don't think they had another game following, but I can't remember.
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 27th, 2019, 3:07 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

It was Iowa St vs Iowa in week 3. They had 2 delays - the first after about 6 minutes of play which went around 60-90 minutes - and the second about 1 minute into the 2nd quarter which went around 2 hours. Kickoff was around 3pm, and the game ended around 9pm.

Interesting sidenote: it was the same TV crew at the ISU/Iowa game that called the WashState game the week before which was mentioned earlier in the thread. After the first "somewhat" short rain delay, they talked at length about being glad they didn't get a 3 hour delay like the prior week, I guess they didn't knock on wood...

BBD- they stuck with the broadcast through the end of the game. It was FS1, and I don't think they had another game following, but I can't remember.
Thanks for clarifying!

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » September 27th, 2019, 3:16 pm

They should have moved the game to tonight! Looks to be dry....before the storm!

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » September 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying!
I live 20 minutes from Iowa State campus and had lots of wet and angry Iowa State friends....because of the weather and terrible choke job by ISU!Image

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl

Post by Floppy Hat » September 27th, 2019, 3:44 pm

aggies1 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 3:16 pm
They should have moved the game to tonight! Looks to be dry....before the storm!
YES!!! :rock: :rock:

Colorado State is supposed to land in Logan at about 4:15. Let's shoot for a 8:30 kickoff tonight...that should give everyone enough notice to get there.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » September 27th, 2019, 4:56 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 3:07 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying!
In this case there is nothing on CBSSN after our game except Inside College Football and Poker. If we were followed by a high profile game then I could see an issue where we'd get shifted to cbssports.com if our game had a lot left to play and the higher profile game was already underway.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 27th, 2019, 5:57 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 4:56 pm
In this case there is nothing on CBSSN after our game except Inside College Football and Poker. If we were followed by a high profile game then I could see an issue where we'd get shifted to cbssports.com if our game had a lot left to play and the higher profile game was already underway.
Thanks for looking that up. I may set my DVR to record a few shows afterwards, too, just to be safe.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » September 28th, 2019, 8:34 am

So, I don’t live in Utah....is it still supposed to rain? What’s the forecast and when and how much rain is coming that way?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 28th, 2019, 8:52 am

It's pouring right now.

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » September 28th, 2019, 9:24 am

Hopefully it dumps all morning and fizzles out by this evening. The thunderstorm is picking up now as well.

jf13
Been thanked: 0

Post by jf13 » September 28th, 2019, 9:51 am

For what it’s worth, according to the Weather Channel App, there’s supposed to be a break in the middle of the day, but starting at 3 PM, there’s a 90%+ chance of rain the rest of the evening. The chance of a thunderstorm goes away at 7 PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 28th, 2019, 10:27 am

What? A little rain? Pshaw! Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 28th, 2019, 10:42 am

It is a football game. I’ve never seen a USU game canceled and only remember the CSU delay. The game will be played, come prepared and enjoy. I think this one is going to be a fun game to watch.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 28th, 2019, 11:17 am

dyedblue wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 10:42 am
It is a football game. I’ve never seen a USU game canceled and only remember the CSU delay. The game will be played, come prepared and enjoy. I think this one is going to be a fun game to watch.

Thunderstorms early evening hours pose the major concern...I have been through a stadium evacuation for lighting in the past and it resulted in the majority of the crowd (such as it was ) leaving (Tempe). Looking at the forecast the possibility of multiple lighting threats is real. With nearly a tenth of an inch per hour forecast today, I expect a very wet, cold day and a very long football game tonight.

Locked Previous topicNext topic