For Comparison Sake

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
frankiesaysrelax

For Comparison Sake

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 6:59 pm

How does a team like Wake Forest do against LSU because I would say we are fairy equal to Wake maybe even slightly better and they are the second best in ACC.

Do they go in to the bayou and hang with the tigers. I just think people’s perception is a little off right now. We just played who in some experts opinions is the 2nd best team in the country. Not many teams in all of college football could hang with that team at their home field after a bye week. They were getting guys healthy we just had two really tough conference games and nursing injuries. Let’s all check back into reality.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
ineptimusprime

ineptimusprime

Re: For Comparison Sake

Post by ineptimusprime » October 5th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Frankie is saying relax, and I agree. We are 3-2. We should be 4-1, but that’s life.

We beat a good (not great, but good) SDSU team. We literally weathered a storm and beat CSU (a team that always gives us problems). We are 2-0 in conference (and will likely be 3-0) before a pivotal game against Air Force that will decide if we are just a bowl team or a contender.

Nothing to freak out about. I was despondent after losing to Wake. I literally do not give a f*** about what happened today. Our guys will heal up, bounce back and beat the (I can't express myself without swearing) out of Nevada.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on October 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
MachismoBadElbowfrankiesaysrelaxaggies22thegreendalegelf

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm

I doubt anybody thought we would win. We didn’t even compete. We had 150 yards of offense and were supposed to have an elite offense with a Heisman candidate at QB.

Would it be too much to ask for one touchdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Our Defense competed.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 7:08 pm

To a degree they did, but 600 yards of offense, 4.9 power rush, and 9+ per pass is an awful lot.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

sneed

Post by sneed » October 5th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Our defense looked better than I expected but our offense looked quite a bit worse. We have a couple more weeks to get it together. Either way we have a good season. Just need to improve a little to have a great season!
These users thanked the author sneed for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 5th, 2019, 7:27 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm
I doubt anybody thought we would win. We didn’t even compete. We had 150 yards of offense and were supposed to have an elite offense with a Heisman candidate at QB.

Would it be too much to ask for one touchdown?

Yeah I was surprised how inept the offense was. Vanderbilt who isn't anything special had no trouble moving the ball on LSU last week. You could say; "well the game was out of reach." Well our game was out of reach in the 3rd quarter and we still couldnt move the ball.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Vanderbilt is in the SEC they played them at home and from what i saw of their game the LSU defense wasn’t like it was today. It would have been nice to see our offense look better but we had issues last week and the time to get past any issues isn’t against LSU in the Bayou. We will regroup and since we don’t play in the SEC we will compete for a MWC championship. I really think this team more than any in the past really does want and believe they will win the MWC this year. I think they can do it and all I care about is hosting the damn game in Logan before they move it to Vegas permanently
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
Aggie19

dogie

Post by dogie » October 5th, 2019, 9:19 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:08 pm
To a degree they did, but 600 yards of offense, 4.9 power rush, and 9+ per pass is an awful lot.

The defense did fairly well on most first and second downs and forced LSU into 17 third downs. But, LSU then apparently had the Aggies exactly where they wanted them by converting 11 of them, without regard to the yards needed.

The defense was significantly hampered by an offense that held the ball for less than 19 minutes. Most of the time, the offensive strategy was to frenetically run three plays as quickly as possible and then get off the field.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 5th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Our zone coverage looked soft. There seemed to always be a hole in the middle of the zone for ten plus yards when LSU needed it.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
frankiesaysrelaxBLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 5th, 2019, 9:42 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Vanderbilt is in the SEC they played them at home and from what i saw of their game the LSU defense wasn’t like it was today. It would have been nice to see our offense look better but we had issues last week and the time to get past any issues isn’t against LSU in the Bayou. We will regroup and since we don’t play in the SEC we will compete for a MWC championship. I really think this team more than any in the past really does want and believe they will win the MWC this year. I think they can do it and all I care about is hosting the damn game in Logan before they move it to Vegas permanently
Vanderbilt is in the SEC, but is not a good football program. They are 1-4 this year and lost 31-6 to an average Ole Miss team today. Their one win was 24-18 over Northern Illinois. They are not a better team than we are at the moment. It is too bad they were able to move the ball much better on LSU than we did. Our offense is underachieving.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 9:58 pm

I’m not arguing it was a disappointing performance but I also don’t think some people are giving that LSU team enough credit. Either their defense really stepped it up on us today or maybe Vanderbilt had same amount of chances but just made more out of them. I am thinking we know for certain our strengths and weaknesses now. no more measuring sticks needed. We work on those in bye week. Come out at home against pretty weak Nevada team and iron out things worked on and look smoother than we have all season closing it out.
Last edited by frankiesaysrelax on October 6th, 2019, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 5th, 2019, 10:10 pm

But when has the offense looked good at all this year? Every week it's another excuse.

Now we are down to, "...Nevada is a week team so we can sort it out against them..." Really?

Shtamdord needs to be more creative.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Our offense looked good at wake. We just made a few mistakes that hurt us. Considering how good SDSUs defense is and our history against them. I felt we did good. They don’t give much up and we took enough. People are just forgetting that we had a really really easy schedule last year and made us look like LSU has looked this whole season. They are making things look really easy. I thought their fans giving warnings about how bad they would beat us was condescending but then I realized they were really saying, “no trust us, we are really really good” everything they advertised happened.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 5th, 2019, 10:50 pm

I do think we have been terrible in the red zone.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Yeah. It would be nice to have Darwin Thompson around this year. He seemed to make it easier to score in the red zone.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm

We couldn't even punch it in when they gifted us the ball at the 7 yard line.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 5th, 2019, 11:09 pm

As is usually the case Florida Aggie insight is spot on. This one is not on the players. We are an above average team with an above average not a great head coach whose skills reside in in recruiting and relating to players but does not have great offensive sensibilities and a history of misfiring when it comes to hiring offensive coordinators. It is kind to say that Sanford has been a disappointment. Red zone success is what separates a good coordinator from the inept. I feel for Love. He must miss Yost. Yost developed him from a one scholarship USU offer player to a high end NFL prospect as he has done with others. I am surprised Jordan did not transfer out to Texas Tech to continue his development. Yost is gifted when it comes to developing quarterbacks. This is going to be a long season and the Aggies will win games if not the division but that will depend greatly on the defense. What has unfolded is a shame as we in actuality have a very talented group of speed receivers, a phenomenal quarterback, and two very good running backs along with a good offensive line coach and tough underrated line players. Wells left Gary with some quality players and to Gary's credit he has built on that talent base. Unfortunately, offense has always been his Achilles-heel and he owes Chuckie and Robert Turbin for the limited offensive success he did enjoy. His offenses at Wisconsin were serviceable and disastrous at Oregon State. The regression we have seen this year is solely on the OC. To Gary's credit I was impressed with his end of the first half comments essentially calling out Sanford.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
vegasaggie

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 6th, 2019, 12:28 am

How did Yost do during his first year at USU? We scored 10 against Wisconsin and Wake Forest (we scored 35 this year), 14 points at home against Boise and then we finished the season scoring whopping 20 points against the mighty NMSU Aggies. Did Yost ever coach here with a totally new oline and today we were also playing without a rb. How is Yost doing at TT? They only scored 14 points against a terrible Arizona team. Go Aggies!

coolag

Post by coolag » October 6th, 2019, 5:08 am

His offense hung 45 on Oklahoma State yesterday in a win so there is that.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 6th, 2019, 7:10 am

I agree with the relax part. We got thrashed by a team with far superior talent. I also think it is time to let go of the notion that we should have beat Wake. Time has shown that the mistakes we made against Wake were not an anomaly. Hopefully they correct themselves but the scoreboard tells the true story. And hopefully Love uses this as a call to get more focused and more disciplined. We still have plenty to play for and have the opportunity compete for a MWC title.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 6th, 2019, 8:28 am

coolag wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 5:08 am
So you are going to disregard everything else that I mentioned? It's too bad we never get to play a P5 school at home. We hung 35 on the road against an undefeated P5 team. Yost put up 10 . So again there is that. :utah: :state:

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 6th, 2019, 8:40 am

Yost had to suffer with Kent Myers...Sanford has Love.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 6th, 2019, 9:21 am

Sanford is a good OC. He needs to run his offense next year. I'm not a fan of an offense that is exclusively one thing.
I love Boise's offense because it doesn't use a fixed scheme. It's fixed scheme is to win each play and they put the QB under center, in shotgun, in pistol, wildcat, whatever it takes.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

coolag

Post by coolag » October 6th, 2019, 10:59 am

blueaggie wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:28 am
coolag wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 5:08 am
So you are going to disregard everything else that I mentioned? It's too bad we never get to play a P5 school at home. We hung 35 on the road against an undefeated P5 team. Yost put up 10 . So again there is that. :utah: :state:
Stats are for losers right?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 7th, 2019, 11:49 am

I thought the offense looked decent until Mariner was hurt. It looked like the playbook had opened up and that we would score some points.

That being said the catch Mariner made was incredible. Probably my favorite of the year. Up there with the sideline endzone catch and the other toe dragger against Wake.

As much as we want to talk injuries and competition, that wasn't caused by LSU being "bigger" or "stronger" or "faster"

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Locked Previous topicNext topic