Time to scrap the tempo offense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

Time to scrap the tempo offense

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Has it given us an advantage in anyway? I know it puts a ton of extra pressure on our defense, allows more plays in games, which leads to greater chance of injuries. In particular Against good teams (we have a lot of them on schedule this year) it hurts us way more than helps us imo. Am I missing something? It feels like we don’t really have an identity (other than tempo) on offense.

I felt this way before today’s game.

Thoughts?

dyedblue

Re: Time to scrap the tempo offense

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 7:33 pm

When we don't move the ball is becomes very problematic.

We had 7 second half drives, the longest was 5 plays and 17 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

fivejazzfans

Post by fivejazzfans » October 5th, 2019, 7:36 pm

I’m alright using it when it follows a gashing play of 15+ yarrds. What I don’t understand is using it after a 2 yard gain or blown up screen play.
These users thanked the author fivejazzfans for the post:
sdiggety

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 5th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Seems to be it pretty well when the play calling is more diverse. It jams up though with 3 draw plays or that pause to change the play. I honestly think Stanford is still adapting to the pace our guys want to play. I think scraping it all together will only stagnant our offense even more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 5th, 2019, 7:46 pm

bigblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Seems to be it pretty well when the play calling is more diverse. It jams up though with 3 draw plays or that pause to change the play. I honestly think Stanford is still adapting to the pace our guys want to play. I think scraping it all together will only stagnant our offense even more.

It’s the playcalling, not the tempo, IMO.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
stewusu98

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 5th, 2019, 7:47 pm

In a game like today, there was no need for such high tempo on every single snap. We needed to slow it down a bit to give our defense rest. I like tempo in MW play and if our offense is doing well, but like I said, not today.

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » October 5th, 2019, 7:47 pm

bigblue wrote:

Is the lack of creativity due to the speed? Maybe Sanford is less creative because of how quickly he has to decide on a play.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 5th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Gotta try something. Our offense has been BAD for 3 games in a row.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » October 5th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I don’t mind the tempo, I mind the horrible situational play calling. Scrap the God forsaken zone read play on 3rd and short. It’s beyond obvious to the defense. Notice how LSU ran a sneak off the right side for 5 yards on 3rd and inches? What a concept. Take me back to old time football with a fullback and QB under center from time to time

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Every time we started rolling quick we would end up on third down doing that check over thing which would then give defense time to check and the we would snap the ball right as the play clock was about to expire. I’m pretty sure that is why the snap went past love. The center probably saw they had no time and snapped thinking he had to be calling for the snap

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 5th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Standford seems to pucker up as the game progresses and gets more and more conservative. We rarely throw medium crossing routes. As today progressed it felt suffocating. Middle run, screen, short pass. Punt.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 5th, 2019, 9:16 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
bigblue wrote:

It’s the playcalling, not the tempo, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dogie

Post by dogie » October 5th, 2019, 9:26 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:33 pm
When we don't move the ball is becomes very problematic.

We had 7 second half drives, the longest was 5 plays and 17 yards.

Excluding the first and last drives of the game, the average time of possession of 11 consecutive drives was 1:12.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm

We definitely played quickly. Lots of short drives that ended in punts.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 5th, 2019, 10:46 pm

I personally like the tempo. It can wear down teams and often catches teams in a mismatch. Does it always work nope.

I am curious to know what people mean by creative play calling. I have no idea what that means.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Can it wear them down when 9 of our drives last less than 90 seconds? It clearly want effective and hasn't been most of the season.

I could care less how long or drives last if we're putting points on the board, but when we don't score we're screwed

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » October 5th, 2019, 11:37 pm

It is frustrating to me to watch Toledo scorch the rams on the edge just to watch us let Bright give it his all and win the game for us running up the middle. It seems like we do not take advantage of our players skill sets. Put our players in a position to do what they are best at.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » October 5th, 2019, 11:50 pm

hard to be creative when you are calling 3 plays on 1st down

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 11:51 pm

stewusu98 wrote:It is frustrating to me to watch Toledo scorch the rams on the edge just to watch us let Bright give it his all and win the game for us running up the middle. It seems like we do not take advantage of our players skill sets. Put our players in a position to do what they are best at.
I genuinly think this staff had written Bright off and were content with their shiny new toy Jalen Warren (who I love as a player). Bright was effectively benched and sting limited reps. Injury forced their hand.

Bright is not a traditional running back and any attempt to use him that way is just plain dumb. Watch how we used him last year. He was so effective as a change of pace kind of back. I have seen very little attempt to use him at all like last year, and how were using him this year, if at all, clearly isn't working.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 6th, 2019, 1:28 am

brian5562 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 10:46 pm
I personally like the tempo. It can wear down teams and often catches teams in a mismatch. Does it always work nope.

I am curious to know what people mean by creative play calling. I have no idea what that means.
When has it helped us with mismatches or worn other teams down? Seriously give me some examples other than Stony Brook.

We are dead last in the country in red zone scoring, horrible on third down conversion percentage (could be last in country here too) and our potent offense lead by a supposedly heisman candidate can’t even score a TD in garbage time against an LSU team that had given up plenty of points in previous games! Love threw for 24 yards in the entire second half.

I get we have played a tough schedule but all of this to me says we are doing something wrong. At this rate we will be lucky to win 7 games and be bowl eligible. (I hope I’m wrong and I’m really good at jinxing things - so hopefully this helps)
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
sdiggety

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » October 6th, 2019, 6:21 am

Seems like we need to
Learn when to use it & when not to. Today’s game made us look really dumb when we used it in 2nd half

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 6th, 2019, 7:07 am

Elkaggie wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 1:28 am
brian5562 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 10:46 pm

When has it helped us with mismatches or worn other teams down? Seriously give me some examples other than Stony Brook.

We are dead last in the country in red zone scoring, horrible on third down conversion percentage (could be last in country here too) and our potent offense lead by a supposedly heisman candidate can’t even score a TD in garbage time against an LSU team that had given up plenty of points in previous games! Love threw for 24 yards in the entire second half.

I get we have played a tough schedule but all of this to me says we are doing something wrong. At this rate we will be lucky to win 7 games and be bowl eligible. (I hope I’m wrong and I’m really good at jinxing things - so hopefully this helps)
If we can beat Nevada (which we should), it’ll be difficult not to become bowl eligible since we still get to play New Mexico. We would have to lose to BSU, AFA, BYU, Wyoming and Fresno for that to happen. I see all of those games as “toss ups,” but I just can’t see us losing every one.

The only scenario where I get a little iffy on bowl eligibility is if we drop one to Nevada.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » October 6th, 2019, 8:38 am

I'm sorry guys but our offense right now is not fun to watch. It reminds me of a couple of years ago when Wells was pretty involved. Just not that entertaining. The last 2 years were much better to watch but this year we seem to have taken a major step back. I get that player makers have graduated, and the schedule was easier and all that. But something just doesn't seem right with this offense and I hope/expect Sanford to figure it out. If he can't then maybe Coach A needs to have a sit down with him. If Sanford still is sucking it up then I hope that Coach A will give me a call (though to be honest, my best coaching is usually on Sunday or Monday mornings).
These users thanked the author YouEssYou for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyvegasaggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 6th, 2019, 9:03 am

I have to wonder if Sanford is struggling with trying to mesh this old offense with his style or Love has too much control or something. It's definitely too vanilla and bland. I believe in Sanford is a coach and person, but the play calling (most particularly in the 2nd half) has left A LOT to be desired.

I would be really curious to see more of a Sanford offense that wasn't forcing this up tempo. So far it hasn't really worked. The lack of success of it has been ever more glaring in the 2nd half.

letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Post by letsbehonest » October 6th, 2019, 9:12 am

I don’t care if they run the same play all game as long as they win.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 6th, 2019, 9:18 am

dyedblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 11:51 pm
stewusu98 wrote:It is frustrating to me to watch Toledo scorch the rams on the edge just to watch us let Bright give it his all and win the game for us running up the middle. It seems like we do not take advantage of our players skill sets. Put our players in a position to do what they are best at.
I genuinly think this staff had written Bright off and were content with their shiny new toy Jalen Warren (who I love as a player). Bright was effectively benched and sting limited reps. Injury forced their hand.

Bright is not a traditional running back and any attempt to use him that way is just plain dumb. Watch how we used him last year. He was so effective as a change of pace kind of back. I have seen very little attempt to use him at all like last year, and how were using him this year, if at all, clearly isn't working.

Amen! It's crazy to simply put Bright back there and just run read options handoffs up the gut all game with him.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 6th, 2019, 10:25 am

Tempo is not a scheme. Our tempo is fine IMO, but I don't love our scheme. My favorite scheme is no scheme, no form, be like water
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13BearLakeMonster

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 6th, 2019, 10:28 am

brownjeans wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 10:25 am
Tempo is not a scheme. Our tempo is fine IMO, but I don't love our scheme. My favorite scheme is no scheme, no form, be like water
That actually makes sense.

When we would get rolling last year under Yost, it just seemed unpredictable and asymmetrical. Running outside and inside, jet sweeps, jet sweep fakes to a seam route, wheel routes...we aren't that offense right now. Hopefully Scramford can get us on track.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » October 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 11:51 pm

You're right. This coaching staff has no idea how to use a speed back and all they want is a power back that will muscle yards through the middle of the field. That's why they like warren the best in this system. Burt and bright and Nawihine will just be abused and underutilized, and warren will keep getting injured.

passing game doesn't look like it's optimized for Loves ability either.

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » October 6th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I try to hold on to the hope that we are hiding the playbook for future games. But then I realize that we have been struggling to win and when the game is on the line, that's actually all we've got offensively.

The good news is I'm pretty confident we can beat Nevada & New Mexico and then at least one of BYU, Wyoming, or Fresno to get in a bowl game. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the front 7 on D caused us to beat AF too, it's not unreasonable. Anything can happen with any of our games, but I don't see these guys losing all of these. I'm also optimistic about Gary recruiting better than Wells and maybe the team will be more well-rounded in a few years after some recruiting and coaches settling in. The coaches always seem to take a few years to be good here.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 6th, 2019, 4:22 pm

All i care about is winning, if the offense or defense struggles all i care about is the W. I wish the offense was performibg better, but they are who they are. I would not be surprised to see them change the offense next year. We will still win some games although they will be a struggle.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm

It is not the tempo, it is the play calling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
Aglicious

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 6th, 2019, 5:17 pm

I see areas to improve but not freak out. I agree they need to be creative with Bright but I actually like him between the tackles because he has homer run ability.A good number of his long runs last year came between the tackles.

I think the offense needs to find ways Thompkins the ball in the run game. The way Florida used Percy Harvin and West Virginia used Tavon Austin.

Have to be more consistent in execution especially in the red zone. Do that and the team scores an additional 10 points in each of their games so far

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 6th, 2019, 5:28 pm

I love the tempo. When it works, we look good. I don’t think it should be our only identity.

I hate our play calling. We are stuck in this tempo offense being called by a power guy. It just doesn’t work.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » October 6th, 2019, 6:52 pm

If you can't run the ball effectively it really doesn't matter what the tempo is. If you look back at the games our offense struggled this year and last it's because we couldn't run the ball.

Locked Previous topicNext topic