Self Scouting over the bye week

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
El Sapo

Self Scouting over the bye week

Post by El Sapo » October 14th, 2019, 11:22 am

I see a lot of patterns emerging on offense. I'm sure any team we're facing down the stretch have also noticed. It's on film and we are pretty predictable. I want to give Sanford the benefit of the doubt here, but I also want to see if we come out this week doing the same things we've done or if we've mixed it up a little.

Lot's of discussion and criticism about Love IMHO starts and is rooted in the play calls. Teams want to take away the first option. That can defeat a QB. Kaep couldn't go to a second option. Sanford can change the plays in minor ways to disguise what we're doing to help Love. Or we keep running the same plays with the same primary receivers and we keep seeing the same TD/Turnover ratio.

Cmon Sanford, mix it up. Look at what we're doing and run some plays that take advantage of our past predictability.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyaggies22Machismo

AggieUprising50

Re: Self Scouting over the bye week

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 14th, 2019, 11:23 am

El Sapo wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:22 am
I see a lot of patterns emerging on offense. I'm sure any team we're facing down the stretch have also noticed. It's on film and we are pretty predictable. I want to give Sanford the benefit of the doubt here, but I also want to see if we come out this week doing the same things we've done or if we've mixed it up a little.

Lot's of discussion and criticism about Love IMHO starts and is rooted in the play calls. Teams want to take away the first option. That can defeat a QB. Kaep couldn't go to a second option. Sanford can change the plays in minor ways to disguise what we're doing to help Love. Or we keep running the same plays with the same primary receivers and we keep seeing the same TD/Turnover ratio.

Cmon Sanford, mix it up. Look at what we're doing and run some plays that take advantage of our past predictability.
That's a fair analysis.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
El Sapo

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 11:27 am

Amen to that.

Gary in his interview on 1280 this morning said he's talked with the LSU coaches (Aranda, Busch, Raymond) and discussed what they liked and didn't like out of USU. LSU was willing to do it because we don't play each other again.

I thought that was great to hear. I'm sure they received some really good feedback. Especially in the department you brought up El Sapo. We've made ourselves really predictable and easy to scout so far this season. I've really been hoping we're just holding back for conference foes later in the year.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 14th, 2019, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
El Sapo

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

I think it's awesome LSU gave us feedback on the game. I think I'm pulling for them to win the National Championship.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 14th, 2019, 11:47 am

So what patterns are you seeing?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » October 14th, 2019, 11:58 am

brian5562 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:47 am
He isn't seeing a pattern, he just has it out this staff. A lot of the TO have come off bad reads, late throws, and inaccurate passes. both pick sixes where late and thrown to the inside, when they should have been to the outside for example.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:27 am
Amen to that.

Gary in his interview on 1280 this morning said he's talked with the LSU coaches (Aranda, Busch, Raymond) and discussed what they liked and didn't like out of USU. LSU was willing to do it because we don't play each other again.

I thought that was great to hear. I'm sure they received some really good feedback. Especially in the department you brought up El Sapo. We've made ourselves really predictable and easy to scout so far this season. I've really been hoping we're just holding back for conference foes later in the year.
That fact that they also owe a good portion of their professional careers to Coach Andersen had something to do with.
Nothing but good things have happened for those dudes since they left Gary's nest. I'm happy for all three and am glad they were once Aggies.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 14th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I would have loved to have Dave A come back as HC if we didn't hire GA, but I know we couldn't have paid him like LSU does... even as an assistant.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 14th, 2019, 5:58 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:58 am
brian5562 wrote:
He isn't seeing a pattern, he just has it out this staff. A lot of the TO have come off bad reads, late throws, and inaccurate passes. both pick sixes where late and thrown to the inside, when they should have been to the outside for example.
Or maybe our OC shouldn't call an out route to the wide side of the field in the pouring rain on consecutive downs out of the same formation.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 14th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
Or maybe our OC shouldn't call an out route to the wide side of the field in the pouring rain on consecutive downs out of the same formation.
^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^
That play was right in front of me and it was a bad call, bad read, and horrible throw. I think most high school corners would have picked that one off. There is a lot not right, and it isn’t hating on the staff to point those things out.

I’d love to hear what Aranda and co. Had to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^
That play was right in front of me and it was a bad call, bad read, and horrible throw. I think most high school corners would have picked that one off. There is a lot not right, and it isn’t hating on the staff to point those things out.

I’d love to hear what Aranda and co. Had to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. Love hasn't been good this year in a lot of ways. Some of that is due to a new cast around him and some is due to coaches not putting him in as good of position as he was last year to make plays and some he has to own. I think it will get better but it is not unreasonable to point out that our offensive regression is attributable to a bunch of factors.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » October 14th, 2019, 8:38 pm

All I know is that our offense last year was amazing and totally entertaining to watch. This year is more like sitting at the dentist having a root canal (I know there are several reasons for this not just Sanford).

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 14th, 2019, 9:06 pm

I think it is fair to ask the coaches and players to self scout and analyze what they can do different and better. We have not performed well on offense the last few games. I hope they are completely honest with everything and be willing to make any changes to help elevate this offense. I have confidence they will.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Well, last year it felt like every screen pass resulted in a Thompson touchdown.
This year we haven’t had a single screen pass work.
That helped pad JLoves numbers. YAC has been horrible this year.
Is that the line or the schemes?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 14th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Well, last year it felt like every screen pass resulted in a Thompson touchdown.
This year we haven’t had a single screen pass work.
That helped pad JLoves numbers. YAC has been horrible this year.
Is that the line or the schemes?

[THat is a great question. Our screens last year were awesome. this year they are garbage. To me it seems like they are being thrown too fast so the defensive players are closer to the line and able to read it better. I admit I am no football mind.]

Locked Previous topicNext topic