BYU vs Boise

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tinplater

BYU vs Boise

Post by tinplater » October 17th, 2019, 10:33 am

Apologize if this has been discussed, but just wondering where sentiment lies in this game. I would expect the majority of Aggies would love to see Boise dismantle Brigham Young, on the other hand a loss for Boise is always appreciated too? My take would be, if Boise is going to win, hope they win by a gigantic margin.

Intermeddler

Re: BYU vs Boise

Post by Intermeddler » October 17th, 2019, 10:38 am

Boise by a lot hopefully.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 17th, 2019, 10:40 am

That the rapture occurs during the game but no one at the stadium or watching on TV realizes it.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

I want MWC teams to win all of their OCC games. A Boise loss to BYU doesn't do anything to help us...a Boise loss to a MWC team does.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » October 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

100% Boise and by as many points as possible. Our win over BYU won't look impressive either way because it has no bearing on our conference and they will eventually be bowl ineligible with losses to Boise, USU and SDSU (how great is it that the top 3 MWC teams have the opportunity to eliminate BYU from bowl eligibility?). However, our win over a top 10 Boise team at the Maverik will be as sweet as can be.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2019, 10:49 am

It's a fair discussion topic, but man there is a ton of chatter about BYU on the recent topics. We seem obsessed.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
oleblu111BadElbowbigblueaceofspadeskb

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

I HATE both teams but will be cheering for BSU. I would love BSU to be ranked in the Top 10 when we they come to Logan. Hopefully, it will give our team more motivation to beat them. I hope we don't lay an egg against BYU.
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on October 17th, 2019, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 10:49 am
It's a fair discussion topic, but man there is a ton of chatter about BYU on the recent topics. We seem obsessed.

A few of the threads that you highlighted are 100% about our upcoming game with BYU.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2019, 11:04 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 11:01 am
A few of the threads that you highlighted are 100% about our upcoming game with BYU.
Right, but they're still about BYU. There's also one thread with 36 posts and 4300 views about byu that isn't about our upcoming game.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
oleblu111

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

BYU SUCKS - GO BOISE!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2019, 11:24 am

I want Bozo to pound the kloogers, then we beat BOTH
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » October 17th, 2019, 11:31 am

You know that scene in the Dark Knight Returns where the field caves in? That, but with the teams on it.
These users thanked the author paaron46 for the post (total 4):
USU78Zaggie07newtonianbluecrazywookie

Twitter: @AaronPeck

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 17th, 2019, 11:54 am

I hope Boise crushes BYU.
I dislike both teams, BUT:
1. If Boise beats us, we want them to go to a NY6 game, for the good of the conference, and so we can go to the LV Bowl.
2. If we beat Boise, the win looks better. We still probably go to the LV Bowl, but would have an outside shot at a NY6.
3. I want the continued long term decline of BYU athletics. I want them to be bad enough that sometime in the next 5 years, the AD at Utah drops the BYU series and resumes the USU series.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22thegreendalegelf

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » October 17th, 2019, 11:55 am

I'm looking exclusively at what will help USU.

The game I'm hoping for is a competitive game for the first half. Force Boise to open their playbook and hopefully BYU can reveal some BSU weaknesses. The second half I want Boise to throttle BYU.

What I'm thinking that would do for us is
1. Provide good game film for us.
2. Breed complacency in BSU.

Its also good for BYU to lose so that they're closer to not being bowl eligible. BYU has six games left and needs to win four. Three are games that they should win, though I won't be suprised if they drop one. The remaining three are against SDSU, BSU, and USU. If all three of us take care of business we'll have made them ineligible for a bowl. That's big for us because then that opens up the Hawaii Bowl for the MW. I also think it's poetic Justice that we as a conference prevented their bowl eligibility.

It'll also be good to demoralize their fan-base.
It'll also be good for our recruiting as it will hurt there's.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post:
aggies22

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » October 17th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I think the MWC would get the Hawaii Bowl either way with UH almost a lock to be bowl eligible I think the conference left out will be the American. I do prefer the idea of the zoobs not going to a bowl at all...even if it helps the AAC.
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
aggies22

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 17th, 2019, 12:34 pm

I don't care who wins. I just want to beat both of them in the friendly confines of Maverik Stadium. I stopped worrying much about BYU lately.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm

An injury fest wouldn't hurt.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
aggies22USUMAE

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 1:11 pm

LKGates wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 11:54 am
1. If Boise beats us, we want them to go to a NY6 game, for the good of the conference, and so we can go to the LV Bowl.
2. If we beat Boise, the win looks better. We still probably go to the LV Bowl, but would have an outside shot at a NY6.
3. I want the continued long term decline of BYU athletics. I want them to be bad enough that sometime in the next 5 years, the AD at Utah drops the BYU series and resumes the USU series.
^This which leads me to my favorite scripture.

Philippians 3:19 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

"In the end they will be destroyed. Their own emotions are their god, and they take pride in the shameful things they do...."

They = BYU
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13USU78

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 17th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I always want BYU to lose. And I cheer for MW teams in out of conference play. So I will most definitely be cheering for Boise.

If the Boise loss would help us win the conference I'd be all for them losing. But since BYU doesn't even HAVE a conference the game is meaningless.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 17th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON ROY.... Seems so many on this board have a major fixation on the team from Provo. PATHETIC for real AGGIES is my opinion. Focus on Utah State and give our school some real support children, closet cougars are excepted, and you know who you are.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 17th, 2019, 2:20 pm

LKGates wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 11:54 am
I think if BYU keeps tanking, Utah is more likely to keep their series with BYU on the table. Continually crush your rival and get an easy game? yes please. BYU would be the one looking to get out of it.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 17th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Don’t really care. But would probably like to see the donkeys lose. Hate ‘em. Hate their fans. Hate their stadium with the blue turf. Hate the sweetheart deal. Hate that their success doesn’t translate to much benefit for other schools in the conference. Take ‘em down as many pegs as possible. If they were playing a P5 maybe I’d be ok with them winning. But since BYU isn’t even a G5 program....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:42 pm
Don’t really care. But would probably like to see the donkeys lose. Hate ‘em. Hate their fans. Hate their stadium with the blue turf. Hate the sweetheart deal. Hate that their success doesn’t translate to much benefit for other schools in the conference. Take ‘em down as many pegs as possible. If they were playing a P5 maybe I’d be ok with them winning. But since BYU isn’t even a G5 program....

I definitely want Boise to win for the exact reason that you want them to lose. BYU isn't in our conference and if Boise is gonna lose, it better be in conference. BYU isn't a G5 team but believe themselves more than that. If they beat Boise, they will brag about how they were terrible but still better than the best of the MW. If it was a MW game, it would change things a little, cause I want to win the division and I see Boise as the biggest threat and an extra conf. loss would help.

Heybmoon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Heybmoon » October 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I hope BYU. But like barely... Oh man I am torn. I want BYU because it helps us in the long run, but also I hate BSU

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Boise needs this win, BYU needs the loss to help them get 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 17th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Heybmoon wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm
I hope BYU. But like barely... Oh man I am torn. I want BYU because it helps us in the long run, but also I hate BSU
BYU winning this game doesn't help us in the short run or long run. A BYU win would have zero affect on our chances of winning the division or conference championship. Boise winning helps raise the conference's power index which does benefit us.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
oleblu111

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 17th, 2019, 4:24 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 10:47 am
I want MWC teams to win all of their OCC games. A Boise loss to BYU doesn't do anything to help us...a Boise loss to a MWC team does.
Exactly!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ususports

Post by ususports » October 17th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Ironic. Some people seem to be obsessed with counting how many threads there are that contain content about BYU. Others spend an obscene amount of time thinking about BYU because they are obsessed with telling fellow board members that they are spending too much time thinking about BYU, and they don’t realize when they do this, the are equally obsessed. By the way, I hate BYU with a passion! For this week only, go Boise State!

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » October 17th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm
An injury fest wouldn't hurt.
Well... yeah, it would...

USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 18th, 2019, 5:16 am

BYU big-timed USU for 50 years. Even during the 60s and 70s, when USU was an equal or better program. It was not until the late 1970s that BYU began to pull away from USU, but that was after nearly two decades of BYU trying to big-time USU. BYU, and Utah, worked hard to keep USU out of the WAC when it was formed. Remember that part of the goal of the WAC was to raise the profile of football in the rocky mountain region, and the year before the WAC was formed, USU was coming off back to back bowl seasons, when going to a bowl game was extremely rare, a top ten ranking, and had one of the major post season award winners and a top NFL draft pick. At that point in time, USU was everything you would want in a conference that was trying to raise its profile. But BYU did everything it could to keep USU out in the cold, even when BYU was a bottom feeder program. (Make no mistake, I do not absolve USU of responsibility in all of this. USU spent 30 years neglecting its athletic program. But when the WAC was formed, USU was by far the best and most high profile program in the rocky mountain region). When BYU got good, expanded their stadium, and regularly made national rankings, BYU big-timed USU to the point where 2 for 1 deals were not even good enough. BYU demanded 3 Provo games for every game in Logan. Now that USU has gotten good, to the point where USU is no stranger to ten win seasons, top 25 rankings, bowl trips, and regular wins agains BYU, BYU still looks down their noses at us. When you have been abused, even when the abuse stops and you have the ability to fight back, it is hard to let go of the anger and hurt as long as the entity responsible is still quite prevalent. So I get the obsession with BYU. I want to see LES Stadium sit mostly empty on Saturdays as BYU struggles against the likes of UMass, Liberty, and Portland State. And I most definitely want to see the BYU fans continue to be blinded by their pride as their program withers and dies in independence and the WCC.

So with all of that out there, I want Boise to win, and win in a beatdown fashion. A BYU win does absolutely nothing for us. It hurts our conference, and it helps get BYU to bowl eligibility. A Boise win helps the conference, even if only by keeping Boise on track for a NY6 game, and makes BYU gaining bowl eligibility that much harder. I also want to see BYU fans continue to insist that a nine game series, in which they only have two wins, is a "rivalry" for them.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 9):
Aggie19pablohoney2004AGBearLakeMonsterUSU78treesap32aggieman2828oleblu111aggies22

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 18th, 2019, 7:16 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:42 pm

I definitely want Boise to win for the exact reason that you want them to lose. BYU isn't in our conference and if Boise is gonna lose, it better be in conference. BYU isn't a G5 team but believe themselves more than that. If they beat Boise, they will brag about how they were terrible but still better than the best of the MW. If it was a MW game, it would change things a little, cause I want to win the division and I see Boise as the biggest threat and an extra conf. loss would help.
A couple other thoughts:
1. After BYU loses to BSU I bet they’ll discredit and downplay any loss to USU and continue to look down their noses a USU. Status quo based on what I’ve read in this thread. Aggies beat them down a 3rd year in a row while they’ve had a moderate taste of success would seem to me a better outcome.
2. If USU wins the division title by beating BSU and if BYU beat BSU but lost to USU they wouldn’t be able to brag about being terrible but better than the best of the MWC.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 18th, 2019, 5:00 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:BYU big-timed USU for 50 years. Even during the 60s and 70s, when USU was an equal or better program. It was not until the late 1970s that BYU began to pull away from USU, but that was after nearly two decades of BYU trying to big-time USU. BYU, and Utah, worked hard to keep USU out of the WAC when it was formed. Remember that part of the goal of the WAC was to raise the profile of football in the rocky mountain region, and the year before the WAC was formed, USU was coming off back to back bowl seasons, when going to a bowl game was extremely rare, a top ten ranking, and had one of the major post season award winners and a top NFL draft pick. At that point in time, USU was everything you would want in a conference that was trying to raise its profile. But BYU did everything it could to keep USU out in the cold, even when BYU was a bottom feeder program. (Make no mistake, I do not absolve USU of responsibility in all of this. USU spent 30 years neglecting its athletic program. But when the WAC was formed, USU was by far the best and most high profile program in the rocky mountain region). When BYU got good, expanded their stadium, and regularly made national rankings, BYU big-timed USU to the point where 2 for 1 deals were not even good enough. BYU demanded 3 Provo games for every game in Logan. Now that USU has gotten good, to the point where USU is no stranger to ten win seasons, top 25 rankings, bowl trips, and regular wins agains BYU, BYU still looks down their noses at us. When you have been abused, even when the abuse stops and you have the ability to fight back, it is hard to let go of the anger and hurt as long as the entity responsible is still quite prevalent. So I get the obsession with BYU. I want to see LES Stadium sit mostly empty on Saturdays as BYU struggles against the likes of UMass, Liberty, and Portland State. And I most definitely want to see the BYU fans continue to be blinded by their pride as their program withers and dies in independence and the WCC.

So with all of that out there, I want Boise to win, and win in a beatdown fashion. A BYU win does absolutely nothing for us. It hurts our conference, and it helps get BYU to bowl eligibility. A Boise win helps the conference, even if only by keeping Boise on track for a NY6 game, and makes BYU gaining bowl eligibility that much harder. I also want to see BYU fans continue to insist that a nine game series, in which they only have two wins, is a "rivalry" for them.

Agree with all that, but you forgot to mention the Utes were just as guilty.

These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
calaggie

calaggie

Post by calaggie » October 18th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:00 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:BYU big-timed USU for 50 years. Even during the 60s and 70s, when USU was an equal or better program. It was not until the late 1970s that BYU began to pull away from USU, but that was after nearly two decades of BYU trying to big-time USU. BYU, and Utah, worked hard to keep USU out of the WAC when it was formed. Remember that part of the goal of the WAC was to raise the profile of football in the rocky mountain region, and the year before the WAC was formed, USU was coming off back to back bowl seasons, when going to a bowl game was extremely rare, a top ten ranking, and had one of the major post season award winners and a top NFL draft pick. At that point in time, USU was everything you would want in a conference that was trying to raise its profile. But BYU did everything it could to keep USU out in the cold, even when BYU was a bottom feeder program. (Make no mistake, I do not absolve USU of responsibility in all of this. USU spent 30 years neglecting its athletic program. But when the WAC was formed, USU was by far the best and most high profile program in the rocky mountain region). When BYU got good, expanded their stadium, and regularly made national rankings, BYU big-timed USU to the point where 2 for 1 deals were not even good enough. BYU demanded 3 Provo games for every game in Logan. Now that USU has gotten good, to the point where USU is no stranger to ten win seasons, top 25 rankings, bowl trips, and regular wins agains BYU, BYU still looks down their noses at us. When you have been abused, even when the abuse stops and you have the ability to fight back, it is hard to let go of the anger and hurt as long as the entity responsible is still quite prevalent. So I get the obsession with BYU. I want to see LES Stadium sit mostly empty on Saturdays as BYU struggles against the likes of UMass, Liberty, and Portland State. And I most definitely want to see the BYU fans continue to be blinded by their pride as their program withers and dies in independence and the WCC.

Maybe more guilty. The U is a fellow state institution. Arguably, they owed us more than some random religious institution. The difference is that byu was the catalyst for forming the WAC, and the reason they moved to form it was exactly the way it played out. They became the second athletic program in the state and (over time) managed to push USU down to a distant third.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 19th, 2019, 9:16 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Didn’t forget it. This thread was about BYU. But there are many reports that BYU President Ernest Wilkinson was the main driver of keeping USU out. Utah just went along with it.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » October 19th, 2019, 9:44 am

BOISE no question, with bad weather, it could be a close game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic