GA 1280 Interview

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMac

GA 1280 Interview

Post by AgMac » October 21st, 2019, 7:13 pm

Just listened to GA's interview with DJ and PK. I listened on the app so I don't have a link.

He seems VERY aware that offense is not clicking. I mean, we all know he is aware. Of course. But still gave me a bit of comfort to hear him acknowledge it.

Man, I hope we can figure something out. Defense seems to be coming together nicely.

newhouse9

Re: GA 1280 Interview

Post by newhouse9 » October 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm

Our D will get run off the field against AF if we can't score...stating the obvious. Huge concern going into this game though.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 21st, 2019, 7:37 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 7:13 pm
Just listened to GA's interview with DJ and PK. I listened on the app so I don't have a link.

He seems VERY aware that offense is not clicking. I mean, we all know he is aware. Of course. But still gave me a bit of comfort to hear him acknowledge it.

Man, I hope we can figure something out. Defense seems to be coming together nicely.
Compare this to Wells, who would often justify bad play calling or argue that a problem wasn’t a problem. Does anyone remember him berating a fan at a luncheon when bubble screens were brought up, and then he ran through bubble screens that worked during a coaches film study?
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 21st, 2019, 9:20 pm

Did Gary actually get to talk X's and O's or were Prick and the Douche up to their typical hilarious shenanigans and too busy laughing over each other to get out questions? I just can't listen to another minute of those two hacks.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
LKGates

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 21st, 2019, 10:21 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 9:20 pm
Did Gary actually get to talk X's and O's or were Prick and the Douche up to their typical hilarious shenanigans and too busy laughing over each other to get out questions? I just can't listen to another minute of those two hacks.
I thought they asked good questions, but it was apparent they hadn’t watched any bit of the game at all. DJ thought the 15 out of 17 offensive possessions under two minutes was a result of scoring quickly every time. It was apparent the offensive struggles were a surprise to them.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 6:03 am

Chatman wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I thought they asked good questions, but it was apparent they hadn’t watched any bit of the game at all. DJ thought the 15 out of 17 offensive possessions under two minutes was a result of scoring quickly every time. It was apparent the offensive struggles were a surprise to them.
So a show producer read the forum and passed DJ the Stat to talk about. Good stuff.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 22nd, 2019, 7:18 am

Every interview he does lately he has eluded to the fact that the uptempo spread offense is bad in the red zone, bad for the defense, bad in poor weather,.......

I get the feeling Gary is going to scrap the up tempo and spread offense next year. Not sure how I feel about that. Watching last year’s team was the most entertaining brand of football I’ve seen in a long. I admit we aren’t clicking yet this year though.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
sneedBLUERUFiO

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 22nd, 2019, 7:29 am

Plenty of teams have success with those concepts. This team is just struggling to execute. With that being said if the head coach and his staff aren’t 100% behind the offensive plan then they should start making changes now.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:Every interview he does lately he has eluded to the fact that the uptempo spread offense is bad in the red zone, bad for the defense, bad in poor weather,.......

I get the feeling Gary is going to scrap the up tempo and spread offense next year. Not sure how I feel about that. Watching last year’s team was the most entertaining brand of football I’ve seen in a long. I admit we aren’t clicking yet this year though.
Can we bring back Baldwin and the bubble screen offense. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 6:03 am
Chatman wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
So a show producer read the forum and passed DJ the Stat to talk about. Good stuff.
IIRC, it was actually GA that brought up that stat. Another sign that he is really not happy with the offense.

But yes, then DJ asked if it mattered having quick drives that end in scores, proving he did not pay any attention at all to the game. GA said that would be great, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
AndroidAggieZaggie07

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 22nd, 2019, 11:26 am

I obviously don't listen to this show regularly but I listen to every one of the interviews with GA. Are they always this nonchalant with their guests? It almost sounds like they couldn't care less if they were interviewing coach A and it honestly sounds like coach A doesn't give a rip about being on their show.

Maybe he is just tired of the media stuff after all these years (sort of how Stew became) but he doesn't sound very enthused or energized to talk USU football with them. The way they sort of abruptly end their interviews and the way GA replies with an almost tired sounding "thanks guys, go Aggies" makes it feel like he's not very excited to be in his position or he is just fed up with interviews.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » October 22nd, 2019, 12:48 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am
AndroidAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 6:03 am
Chatman wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
IIRC, it was actually GA that brought up that stat. Another sign that he is really not happy with the offense.

But yes, then DJ asked if it mattered having quick drives that end in scores, proving he did not pay any attention at all to the game. GA said that would be great, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.
I think what he really wanted to say was, "If we could f$@#$%^ get it in the endzone" :lol:

Where only sage brush grows

boyblue

Post by boyblue » October 22nd, 2019, 2:11 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 11:26 am
I obviously don't listen to this show regularly but I listen to every one of the interviews with GA. Are they always this nonchalant with their guests? It almost sounds like they couldn't care less if they were interviewing coach A and it honestly sounds like coach A doesn't give a rip about being on their show.

Maybe he is just tired of the media stuff after all these years (sort of how Stew became) but he doesn't sound very enthused or energized to talk USU football with them. The way they sort of abruptly end their interviews and the way GA replies with an almost tired sounding "thanks guys, go Aggies" makes it feel like he's not very excited to be in his position or he is just fed up with interviews.
Just listened to today's interview with Hans and Scotty. Its like night and day the difference in how he interacts with them as opposed to yesterday. Coach A is much more open with Scotty and really seems to enjoy talking with them. Was a great listen.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 22nd, 2019, 3:19 pm

One of the things I like about Coach A is that he gets that we need the media and represents for USU really well. Not sure if my memory is accurate or its just a proximity thing, but it felt like we lost a little bit of that with Coach Wells. I think Gary is truly trying to build a sustainable program, rather than just win games.

I thought he sounded fine in both, but the rapport with Scotty and Hans is definitely on a different level from the two tools from the morning.

Go Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 3:29 pm

I don't know how anyone can handle an interview with DJ and PK. They are clowns. You can hear them drooling and mouth-breathing.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 11:26 am

I’ll be honest. That’s the way I’ve felt just about any time I’ve heard Gary speak since coming back. Almost like he’s just going through the motions and using a bunch of coach speak and cliches. When I’ve mentioned that before I’ve been batted down but that’s honestly how I feel. Hopefully he just is tired of speaking and media events but it is a bit of a concern on my part. (Others around me personally don’t feel that way so it’s entirely possible that it’s just me.)

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 22nd, 2019, 5:12 pm

I agree, yet I don't see any lack of work ethic or actual coaching effort on his part (from a distance, granted). Maybe he is just sick and tired of talking to the media. I bet it gets old.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 22nd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 5:12 pm
I agree, yet I don't see any lack of work ethic or actual coaching effort on his part (from a distance, granted). Maybe he is just sick and tired of talking to the media. I bet it gets old.
That’s my thought too. I think after years of answering dumb questions and having to repeat the same thing over and over again it gets tiresome. Which is why many guys get short with the media later in their careers.

Locked Previous topicNext topic