If Sanford was an upcoming young coach with a great

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

If Sanford was an upcoming young coach with a great

Post by troutputz » October 27th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Offensive mind(At least thats what was said about him before he was hired at Western Kentucky), why then did his Western Kentucky team be very poor offensively? The two years he was coach, the Hilltoppers were 118 nationally in scoring offense in the FBS. Plus they were ranked 102 in total offense! If he was and is a hot commodity why has his offense sucked? I think we got a pig-in-a-poke here! GA needs to look elsewhere for OC at seasons end in my opinion! Bad offense at Western Kentucky, now bad offense at Utah State, folks there is a problem here, Sanfords so called creative genius at offense is not translating onto the football field! Time to go!

blueaggie

Re: If Sanford was an upcoming young coach with a great

Post by blueaggie » October 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Wasn't he the head coach at WKU not the OC? I think the problem is he is trying to run s system he is not familiar with. Wasn't he the OC at Boise? He must have done well there to get hired as a head coach. Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 27th, 2019, 9:25 pm

If we get rid of Sanford, we'll regret it.

My fear is Andersen has whittingham syndrome and isn't letting our OC have the freedom necessary to unleash a great offense. We need to let Sanford be Sanford.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 27th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Trout - I keep asking myself the same question. I mean for real this is a guy who supposedly turned down Urban Meyer...not sure what is going on. Blueaggie may very well have a point that his problem is he is trying to run a system he is not familiar with... but even so if he was such a prodigy he should be able to get more from Yost's system than he is. Still cant get my head around the fact that he could not put together a game plan to generate more than 128 total yards...just 9 in the 1st quarter.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » October 27th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I think forcing him to run someone else offense has completely hampered his ability to show what he can do. I am hopeful that we rework the offense in the off season with Sanford given full reign to implement his stuff.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 27th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Brown jeans - You raise an interesting point... reminds of the Josh Heupel debacle here and Josh leaves and puts in a lethal offense at UCF.

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » October 28th, 2019, 9:10 am

Sanford was the OC at Boise when they beat Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl. Those offenses were dynamic and creative and kept defenses on their toes. I still think he was a good hire. He is a good coach who after 1 season at BSU left to be OC at Notre Dame where once again the offense was creative and very good. When you watched his offenses the defense was off balance. For some reason this year the offense he is coaching is not looking like a Sanford type offense because of personnel, system or philosophy.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2019, 9:22 am

It is his job to make the offense work. I find it pretty ridiculous that we are expected to flush a pretty promising season because we don't want to shake things up on offense. He should run the offense his way. We had two bye weeks to do something about it. We actually have gotten worse.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 28th, 2019, 9:30 am

MaverickAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:32 pm
I think forcing him to run someone else offense has completely hampered his ability to show what he can do. I am hopeful that we rework the offense in the off season with Sanford given full reign to implement his stuff.
I am completely confused as to the state of the Aggie offense. I know we've had O-line injuries but really only missing one guy at present. Offense looked itself except for a couple dumb throws from Love at Wake Forest. Then we ran the ball the 3 times to lose that game and its regressed ever since.

The talk is that Sanford adapted is own scheme to the RPO but the only apparent play differences was the elimination of all misdirection, reverses, and outside reads. The Aggies still have proven serious weapons ie Scarver, Tompkins, Nathan, Mariner, and the 2 TEs but we don't find a way to use them creatively.

Why this team can't put in under center and multiple back formations is a mystery . In my years of playing recreational semi pro we had offenses that ran 4-5 different formations with maybe 2-3 full practices a year. College football players have enough under their belt to be able to run more than one formation. Its not that hard.

Teams have figured out they can pressure and contain Love with 4 guys and leave Love open on the read because he is only going to run 3-4 times a game. Then they have 7 guys to mix up coverages and get physical with receivers and still maintain two deep coverage deep and LBs over the middle. Make Love go to his 3rd progression at which point he is either hurried or sacked. Teams do not respect the run so we aren't freezing LBs or safeties at all with the half assed RPO.

Wyoming provided the blue print for this D and other teams are replicating it weekly with the poor Oline play and Sanford does nothing to adjust and never learns. Case in point was AFA punt with the game 17-7. The Aggies had some offensive momentum but the idiot Sanford calls 2 inside zone reads for 2 yards forcing a 3rd and 8 from the 3. AF simply plays stick D with deep help and forces Love to throw short of the sticks. Game over.

Also Andersen has eliminated the offensive swag by not letting the Offense go fast before the half and punting when they need momentum. When your defense can't stop AFA you are throwing the white flag up by punting inside AFA territory 4th and 8 in first half and especially from your own 40 in the 4th (4th and 2). Sends a terrible message. All you accomplished was allowed AFA to run more time off the clock and wear the defense more in route to long TD drives.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerRoy McAvoy

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 28th, 2019, 9:33 am

At this point one of two things need to happen. Either Gary turns the playcalling over to Love and tells him to gunsling and have at it or Sanford needs to put love Under center with a pro set and max protection and run his offense. The present situation is a cluster.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 28th, 2019, 9:34 am

cornia27 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 9:10 am
For some reason this year the offense he is coaching is not looking like a Sanford type offense because of personnel, system or philosophy.
Unfortunately for him, this year, its all three. As I see it, he’s being asked to run a system he doesn’t believe in, and it looks like it. Plus, we’ve gone from an experienced line (4 or 5 starters returning) to a wholly new line with one starter returning and he has been hobbling all year. The line has been adequate but injuries are exposing our lack of experience. That is hurting Jordan Love— he doesn’t have the time to run the offense he wants to run. That has led to a general lack of production by wide receivers, which is closing things in for the running backs..... and basically an offense that is doing very little. We have to find some answers, tweak some things. We’re 4-3/3-1. The year may not end up as good as we hoped, but its not a disaster either . . . Yet.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 28th, 2019, 10:41 am

So, if the O line can't protect Love long enough to run the offense, why are we using some misdirection or even some realistic play action? These coaches seem to be stubborn enough to stick to the same offense, even if it leaves them with a losing record.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 28th, 2019, 10:48 am

GUS wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:41 am
So, if the O line can't protect Love long enough to run the offense, why are we using some misdirection or even some realistic play action? These coaches seem to be stubborn enough to stick to the same offense, even if it leaves them with a losing record.
That is a very good question.

Locked Previous topicNext topic