Sanford quote in SL Trib

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Sanford quote in SL Trib

Post by ineptimusprime » November 1st, 2019, 7:21 pm

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/10/3 ... tah-state/

Is the below a little disconcerting to anyone else?

—————————

But new offensive coordinator Mike Sanford said the team’s offensive production isn’t actually as anemic as it seems.

“I think that we’re in a place right now where we haven’t played our best ball, but we’re close,” Sanford said. “When you watch the film, it’s not far off.”

AgMac

Re: Sanford quote in SL Trib

Post by AgMac » November 1st, 2019, 7:31 pm

Yes. But it seems in line with what I've heard GA say in his interviews this week. We're not going to change anything. We're just going to try and execute better. :shock:

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 1st, 2019, 7:35 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 7:21 pm

—————————

But new offensive coordinator Mike Sanford said the team’s offensive production isn’t actually as anemic as it seems.

“I think that we’re in a place right now where we haven’t played our best ball, but we’re close,” Sanford said. “When you watch the film, it’s not far off.
I don't know what tape he is watching...probably accidently popped in the 2018 tape. :headscratch:
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
ususportsNavyBlueAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 1st, 2019, 7:55 pm

I heard he just received a brand spanking new box of crayons. Watch out defenses, we may have another running play to defend against!
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
dogie

dogie

Post by dogie » November 1st, 2019, 8:10 pm

He knows that this team has the potential (without making structural changes) to pull off a perfectly efficient three-and-out before the season ends. That would be one in which only 0:18 of game time and 1:20 of actual time elapse before punting.

It can be done with some discipline and running to the line of scrimmage just a little faster.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13918AGGfreakboy

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 1st, 2019, 8:17 pm

I’ll reserve judgement for tomorrow night.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 1st, 2019, 8:26 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 8:17 pm
I’ll reserve judgement for tomorrow night.
Yup, me too. If we don't see anything different or even an attempt to spice things up then it may be time to just accept it, and that IMO is not acceptable.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 1st, 2019, 8:36 pm

Perfect execution would win games. No dropped passes, no missed blocks, passes accurately going where the are supposed to go... BUT it would require perfection at play calling instead of 2 up the gut and a long pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxTop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TxTop » November 1st, 2019, 9:13 pm

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 1st, 2019, 9:17 pm

That trib quote combined with that thread... yikes.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 1st, 2019, 9:33 pm

*gulp

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 1st, 2019, 9:44 pm

What in the hell do you all want him to say to the media?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 1st, 2019, 9:53 pm

I don't see anything in that article that is worrisome.

Wait... Are there seriously people who think Sanford is the problem?
Last edited by brownjeans on November 1st, 2019, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 1st, 2019, 9:54 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 9:44 pm

I don't care what he says to the media, I just want him to realize that running it up the gut almost every down doesn't work. Then I want him to try some other things.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 1st, 2019, 9:56 pm

I’d be fine with him saying we are struggling to move the ball right now and there are a lot of things that we are working on in practice - give some examples - and then say I have confidence in this team, we have a great QB and we just need to call better plays and make some plays around him.

His seat is hot, if we don’t change things up and move the football tomorrow is going to suck and his seat will be blazing hot. I hope for the sake of the Aggies we can get going.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 1st, 2019, 10:34 pm

dogie wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 8:10 pm
He knows that this team has the potential (without making structural changes) to pull off a perfectly efficient three-and-out before the season ends. That would be one in which only 0:18 of game time and 1:20 of actual time elapse before punting.

It can be done with some discipline and running to the line of scrimmage just a little faster.
I would love to see them aim higher...maybe even a 12 second and out. It would require three incompletions without any delay. I think Crayons has it in him.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 1st, 2019, 11:02 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

—————————

“I think that we’re in a place right now where we haven’t played our best ball, but we’re close,” Sanford said. “When you watch the film, it’s not far off.”
I understand close:
1. I was “close” to winning the lottery (I got 1 of the 7 numbers correct)
2. I was close to marrying Christie Brinkley (she had a thing for musicians (Billy Joel) and I played the trumpet)
3. After being tied 7-7, BYU almost beat Texas A&M in the 1990 Holiday Bowl in Detmer’s last college game (Final score: Aggies 65; Cougars 14. I kept that newspaper headline on my office’s nic-nac shelf for years!)
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 3):
ususportsFloridaAggie13BustaMcNutt

ususports

Post by ususports » November 2nd, 2019, 2:58 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
I usually agree with most of your posts, but read utaggies post about being close. To answer your question, Sanford definitely shouldn’t be saying to the media what he said about being close. Say anything but that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 2nd, 2019, 5:48 am

ususports wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 2:58 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
I usually agree with most of your posts, but read utaggies post about being close. To answer your question, Sanford definitely shouldn’t be saying to the media what he said about being close. Say anything but that.
Yes the last thing we want is a coach who is positive and encouraging the guys to focus on details to be just a little bit better.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » November 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am

I guess I don't care what he says to the media (I mean I kind of care) but I hope to Hades that behind closed doors he doesn't think our offense is close. That first half vs AFA wasn't "close" to anything but the worst offense output in Aggie history (I haven't actually looked this up but it is hard to imagine a half with less then 1 first down, 45 yards of offense and around 5 minutes of offense ball possession).

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 2nd, 2019, 7:52 am

I don't need him to say anything to the media so I'm not going to get all wound up about it. What I do need is to see some actual football played on the offensive side of the ball. I'm too ticked about what has been going on on the field to worry about what he says to the media
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiO

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » November 2nd, 2019, 8:07 am

utaggies wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 11:02 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

—————————

I understand close:
1. I was “close” to winning the lottery (I got 1 of the 7 numbers correct)
2. I was close to marrying Christie Brinkley (she had a thing for musicians (Billy Joel) and I played the trumpet)
3. After being tied 7-7, BYU almost beat Texas A&M in the 1990 Holiday Bowl in Detmer’s last college game (Final score: Aggies 65; Cougars 14. I kept that newspaper headline on my office’s nic-nac shelf for years!)
You are close to being right, but Ty Detmer played another season after that game. His final game was a 13-13 tie to Iowa. That is close, but he threw an interception on what would have been the game winning drive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Detm ... ege_career

ususports

Post by ususports » November 2nd, 2019, 8:15 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 5:48 am
ususports wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Yes the last thing we want is a coach who is positive and encouraging the guys to focus on details to be just a little bit better.
So you are thinking our players have had their feelings hurt and cried themselves to sleep recently as Gary Andersen has told the media that our offense has been really bad? I am all for positive, but sometimes people have to be blunt for improvement to happen (just as Gary has done in his interviews). If we were “close” or in your words, we needed to do just a “little bit” better, then sure, Sanford’s quote is fine. However, our numbers are approaching record levels of sucking, so no need to sugarcoat things.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 2nd, 2019, 8:23 am

I don’t think 20 year old kids read the Trib

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 2nd, 2019, 8:47 am

He can say whatever he wants if he gets this turned around. The product on the field is atrocious.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am

ususports wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
ususports wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
So you are thinking our players have had their feelings hurt and cried themselves to sleep recently as Gary Andersen has told the media that our offense has been really bad? I am all for positive, but sometimes people have to be blunt for improvement to happen (just as Gary has done in his interviews). If we were “close” or in your words, we needed to do just a “little bit” better, then sure, Sanford’s quote is fine. However, our numbers are approaching record levels of sucking, so no need to sugarcoat things.
Oh yes, I agree. They don't have near enough people telling them how bad they are. AND everyone should consistently pound it in to them. Never giving any encouragement. Just pound it. Over and over.

If Sanford and Fav are watching the film and see minor mistakes happening everywhere that are killing us, saying we're close isn't wrong.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 2nd, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 2nd, 2019, 9:55 am

Our offense has been offensive as of late. A poor performance tonight may be the final knell in the coffin. We need to come out and show things have turned around.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 2nd, 2019, 10:02 am

Positive e-mails coming up! Slap hands!

Regulator of Class

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 2nd, 2019, 10:12 am

coolag wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 10:02 am
Positive e-mails coming up! Slap hands!
Don't do it man! These players don't see the third and longs. They don't see the three and outs. They don't see the red zone problems. They don't see thet score.
We have a responsibility to let them know they suck or they'll never get better. They think they're playing well!
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am
ususports wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
ususports wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Oh yes, I agree. They don't have near enough people telling them how bad they are. AND everyone should consistently pound it in to them. Never giving any encouragement. Just pound it. Over and over.

If Sanford and Fav are watching the film and see minor mistakes happening everywhere that are killing us, saying we're close isn't wrong.

I agree with most of the board. The entire problem is Sanford and Fav, after all they have a O line that is as good as last season, the receivers are just as good as Tarver, Green, Dax, running backs are as good as D.T. the schedule is just as easy, so if he would just run a reverse or two all would be well. Plus they do not say the right things to the media.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19brownjeans

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 2nd, 2019, 10:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 8:47 am
He can say whatever he wants if he gets this turned around. The product on the field is atrocious.
Yes NV, the product on the field is execrable. I'm not convinced this trend bodes well for the 2019 season of AGGIE Football, and barring a major upturn this evening, I'll just be traveling back to SLC in the dark hoping to finally warm up and praying I don't bump into Bambi in Sardine Canyon. This is not the same team that competed with Wake Forrest to start the season.

I would be please to eat my Kentucky Fried Crow on Sunday.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

Nothingburger of an interview.

Really don't need to hear from Sanford, his offense tells the story. He had the advantage in game 1, but since then other teams have had pretty good success stopping us. It's a fine line to be critical because we are 3-1, so I'm still watching and waiting. I thought we would make a statement vs AF. Man was I wrong about that. Hopefully we bust out tonight. Could the team and coaches be so focused on the stench that they overlooked AF? Was that a trap game? Let's hope so,

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 2nd, 2019, 5:07 pm

El Sapo wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

Really don't need to hear from Sanford, his offense tells the story. He had the advantage in game 1, but since then other teams have had pretty good success stopping us. It's a fine line to be critical because we are 3-1, so I'm still watching and waiting. I thought we would make a statement vs AF. Man was I wrong about that. Hopefully we bust out tonight. Could the team and coaches be so focused on the stench that they overlooked AF? Was that a trap game? Let's hope so,
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 2nd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Machismo wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 5:07 pm
El Sapo wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

hahahahahahah, classic that's exactly how it is right now

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » November 2nd, 2019, 11:44 pm

Sanford and most of our offensive staff are in way over their heads for D1.

Locked Previous topicNext topic