As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 6785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 139 times

As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 3rd, 2019, 12:37 am

It was no secret coming into the season that our biggest question marks were at OL and in the secondary, and that was before we got hit by injuries. The cupboard was barren at both spots, there was no depth at either, and I don't think very many teams or coaches in the country could do anything with 2 units as bad as we have there.

Not excusing the staff because they are doing a poor job coaching the players they have, but realistically the OL and secondary are as bad as I think I've seen here since Gary became HC the first time around

You'd think having a QB like Love could help us overcome a bad OL, but when you factor in the terrible game planning...we are predictable, unexplosive, and easy to defend



Olderthandirt
Posts: 220
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 2:00 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by Olderthandirt » November 3rd, 2019, 12:48 am

It is concerning, but I don't think we should freak out. It killed us not having Woodward, and we couldn''t even block a three man rush. I just don't believe that we can judge a coaching staff in their first year.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2028
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by Intermeddler » November 3rd, 2019, 1:06 am

Good post and those position groups have held us back as predicted but do we have a position group that has surpassed or even met expectations?

DL has been pushed around 2 straight weeks. RBs are just ok. Love has been awful. LBs probably until tonight?

I’ve heard people that have been in the Ath Dept for awhile have been blown away by the talent Gary has been able to get to visit and get interested so I hope that is true and we land some of it because I don’t see this group out coaching anyone



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4231
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 3rd, 2019, 1:14 am

Love had been atrocious. There is no other way to say it. He had fallen so far short of expectations, he can't even see it from here.

The O-line is horrible. Injuries are definitely a factor, but they are just bad. Are these scholarship players or what?

The defense looks like they just quit.


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14594
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 582 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by brownjeans » November 3rd, 2019, 1:18 am

I feel like a lot of the problems we see now can be traced to decisions made last spring.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13



MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 6785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 3rd, 2019, 1:21 am

Intermeddler wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 1:06 am
Good post and those position groups have held us back as predicted but do we have a position group that has surpassed or even met expectations?

DL has been pushed around 2 straight weeks. RBs are just ok. Love has been awful. LBs probably until tonight?

I’ve heard people that have been in the Ath Dept for awhile have been blown away by the talent Gary has been able to get to visit and get interested so I hope that is true and we land some of it because I don’t see this group out coaching anyone
We looked good through 3 weeks. Realistically should have had wins over 2 current top 25 teams on the road. Colorado State game started to show some cracks, LSU exposed/furthered them. Since then it's been a mix of injuries, zero depth, and teams getting tape on how to exploit our weaknesses.

We are exploitable right now mostly due to personnel. It's clear as day, and it'll be a lot of work for the staff to fix it and get us to a bowl game. We will see if everyone is up to the challenge I guess



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5326
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by Aglicious » November 3rd, 2019, 1:26 am

I didnt think the OL was to blame tonight. Love had tons of time but just couldn't find anyone or refused to check down when we could have had 10 yard gains all night long. Instead he held on to the ball and tried to force it deep instead of taking what they are giving. We have been very poor at taking what the D is giving us this year.

The OL killed us more by being illegally down field on critical plays including a TD when we desperately needed it.



MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 6785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 3rd, 2019, 1:10 am

Aglicious wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 1:26 am
I didnt think the OL was to blame tonight. Love had tons of time but just couldn't find anyone or refused to check down when we could have had 10 yard gains all night long. Instead he held on to the ball and tried to force it deep instead of taking what they are giving. We have been very poor at taking what the D is giving us this year.

The OL killed us more by being illegally down field on critical plays including a TD when we desperately needed it.
Not gonna argue with you here from tonights game, I just think it's a culmination of the slowly degrading play all season. Changes the game plan, the play calling, the confidence of everyone. Love doesn't seem comfortable this year, hard to watch after last year where he was constantly in control and throwing darts all over the field. Teams can sit back and force him to make tougher throws this year



User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2353
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 87 times

As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by WAAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm

Contrast us to BYU. The wins they have are basically better play calling and creativity. Both us and Boise fell for flea flickers, fly sweeps and Qb draws and rpo’s. At least we stopped trying that slow developing out ball, only to replace with plays the qb fails to see LB’s sitting routes and picking him clean.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

I was impressed by BYU’s play calling. The play on one of their short touchdowns in the south end zone was brilliant. It was a tunnel screen kind of play where the receiver came back toward the QB along the line of scrimmage with a wall of blockers. That kind of play would be brilliant in our playbook.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
FloridaAggie13


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

FloridaAggie13
Posts: 8766
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 508 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 3rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

It is the job of the coaches to COACH and teach and to implement strategies that maximize the talent they have.

Regardless of what has been said, this is Sanford's offense. He is running the plays he thinks will work best. We saw what "creative" really is last year under Yost - it doesn't necessarily mean trick plays, just running plays that attack the entire field and use misdirection. Last night, we saw an OC and HC who were vested in winning the game and were far more creative and passionate.

This is Ena's D' and it is now putrid. He took one of the best pass rushers in all of college football and lined up directly in front of a 290lb tackle 50+ plays a game - this is why the D' gets pushed around. We rarely blitz, rarely do anything to make the QB uncomfortable.

Almost seems like they are just showing up to collect a check.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 8766
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 508 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 3rd, 2019, 8:23 pm

Urban Myer ran this at Utah and Florida. He also had a twist where they'd throw the tunnel screen and the receiver would lateral to the RB crossing out of the backfield, completely taking advantage of the D's overaggressive nature that close to the end zone.

They schooled us in every single aspect of football last night.



Slim80
Posts: 32
Joined: October 26th, 2019, 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by Slim80 » November 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:18 pm
I was impressed by BYU’s play calling. The play on one of their short touchdowns in the south end zone was brilliant. It was a tunnel screen kind of play where the receiver came back toward the QB along the line of scrimmage with a wall of blockers. That kind of play would be brilliant in our playbook.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly didn’t they only have a single blocker on that play for the screen??



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14594
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 582 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by brownjeans » November 3rd, 2019, 9:10 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:21 pm
It is the job of the coaches to COACH and teach and to implement strategies that maximize the talent they have.

Regardless of what has been said, this is Sanford's offense. He is running the plays he thinks will work best. We saw what "creative" really is last year under Yost - it doesn't necessarily mean trick plays, just running plays that attack the entire field and use misdirection. Last night, we saw an OC and HC who were vested in winning the game and were far more creative and passionate.

This is Ena's D' and it is now putrid. He took one of the best pass rushers in all of college football and lined up directly in front of a 290lb tackle 50+ plays a game - this is why the D' gets pushed around. We rarely blitz, rarely do anything to make the QB uncomfortable.

Almost seems like they are just showing up to collect a check.
It's an offense that relies on execution. Yost's offense was poor two years ago because there were a lot of mistakes. Last year there team executed in all but a couple of games. This year there are a lot of mistakes.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2172
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

Ena owns this defense and Gary needs to or should address some of the failings. Taking a promising, outstanding and proven outside linebacker from an effective 3-4 alignment (Galeai #10) and making a defensive lineman out of him is a waste of a proven commodity. We have 9 returning starters from last years defensive team plus a depth of D linemen and this is what we get?

Appears to me this is barely a shadow of the team that played Wake Forest to begin this season and also seems there are now some internal issues in play.



TrueAG
Posts: 1036
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: As poorly as the coaching staff is handling this season

Post by TrueAG » November 3rd, 2019, 9:58 pm

We are scouted! Good Coaches make adjustments, we run the exact same plays. Easy for defenses to know what is going to happen.



Locked Previous topicNext topic