Is it Colombi time?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blue Bull

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Blue Bull » November 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

Right now I can't imagine what's going through Jordan's head - it must be torture. Pressure to be a top draft quarterback, completely new coaching staff, mounting interceptions. I know that this is part of football and that mental toughness is a key component. Honestly, I think that if Love transferred to a different school with more talent that he would shine. I wouldn't be surprised if he entered the transfer portal at some time. It would be a clean slate. This happens with many professional athletes where they were good, are now struggling and so they get traded to a new team and shine.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 5th, 2019, 11:44 am

Blue Bull wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 11:43 am
Right now I can't imagine what's going through Jordan's head - it must be torture. Pressure to be a top draft quarterback, completely new coaching staff, mounting interceptions. I know that this is part of football and that mental toughness is a key component. Honestly, I think that if Love transferred to a different school with more talent that he would shine. I wouldn't be surprised if he entered the transfer portal at some time. It would be a clean slate. This happens with many professional athletes where they were good, are now struggling and so they get traded to a new team and shine.
I'm completely convinced Love won't be the QB at USU next year and I don't blame him one bit. I think he'll either go to the NFL or transfer to a P5 school with talent around him.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Man, I hope he doesn't transfer. Can't we block that? Make him sit a year?

He needs another year to develop. Kinda like Queta. I don't think he's as high a draft pick as people are saying. You know saying that stuff is good for TV ratings, get some people to watch a USU game to see a "potential pro" QB.

He isn't a first rounder right now. Maybe he can improve that, maybe not.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 5th, 2019, 12:16 pm

El Sapo wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm
Man, I hope he doesn't transfer. Can't we block that? Make him sit a year?

He needs another year to develop. Kinda like Queta. I don't think he's as high a draft pick as people are saying. You know saying that stuff is good for TV ratings, get some people to watch a USU game to see a "potential pro" QB.

He isn't a first rounder right now. Maybe he can improve that, maybe not.
If he graduates he is free to go where he wants.

Put yourself in his shoes. Before this season he was being talked about as 1st round pick by most pundits. Now his stock has fallen. Would you stay another year with the new coaching staff that was coaching you when your stock really fell? I sure as heck wouldn't. If I didn't go to the NFL and was free to transfer without penalty I would go find a proven coaching staff to try to build my stock back up.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Zaggie07

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 5th, 2019, 1:15 pm

I am not saying it is time to bench him, buy there is no denying that his play has been horrible this year.

The NFL scouts have to be concerned. He has all of the physical tools, but he doesn't look anything like an NFL QB to me.

Also, some of the blame falls on the coaches, O-line, and receivers, buy I have seen way too many missed throws and missed open receivers.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm

One valid quarterback comparison is Trevor Siemian. He had 7 touchdowns against 11 interceptions his senior year, and never had a year anything like Jordan last year. Finishing with 27 td and 24 int.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 5th, 2019, 1:32 pm

He is very talented and has a big arm but hasn't played well all year. The talent he has around him is relative to the talent on the other team that is defending him and his receivers. Transferring to a P5 school with "better" talent around him also means playing against more talented defenses than he is facing now. He probably isn't as bad as his numbers show this year and not as good as the numbers showed last year.

I'm very curious as to the fundamental coaching he may have been getting last year vs this year.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Are we all forgetting who we played last year (outside of Michigan St) that schedule was easy to run over and we had depth, lower competition = less injuries last year also. Is it Colombi time???? I think it's always good to switch things up, like at the RB position. You never know who is running up the middle, but that mks it harder to scout us....NOTE: I did not say drop Love, I sd "it's always good to switch things up" : MEANING - put him in more
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggie19

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 5th, 2019, 2:18 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Are we all forgetting who we played last year (outside of Michigan St) that schedule was easy to run over and we had depth, lower competition = less injuries last year also. Is it Colombi time???? I think it's always good to switch things up, like at the RB position. You never know who is running up the middle, but that mks it harder to scout us....NOTE: I did not say drop Love, I sd "it's always good to switch things up" : MEANING - put him in more
I agree - put him in every third series in a positive field position scenario. He saw a lot of playing time last year due to the blowouts but almost none this year.

Also, there shouldn't a concern with him knowing Crayons' playbook/napkin.

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » November 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm

I guess this is as good of place as any to put this. The Ringer came out with an article today that rated the top QB prospects for the draft, they have Love coming in at number 4 (although in a three way tie).
A few tidbits from there write up
-Says that if you're drafting Love you're drafting for what he may become not what he is
-Love's ceiling is as high as anyone on the list
-This year hes shown a tendency to show where he's going with the ball presnap
-"Love is helming a a talent-deficient offense, so it’s hard to separate his skill set from his stats―but it’s clear that all the tools are there."
-Probably would be better off returning for another year
-Has the type of physical skillset to really impress teams at combine/proday enviroments

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5 ... king-2020.
These users thanked the author ericsil7 for the post:
NVAggie

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » November 5th, 2019, 10:48 pm

ericsil7 wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm
I guess this is as good of place as any to put this. The Ringer came out with an article today that rated the top QB prospects for the draft, they have Love coming in at number 4 (although in a three way tie).
A few tidbits from there write up
-Says that if you're drafting Love you're drafting for what he may become not what he is
-Love's ceiling is as high as anyone on the list
-This year hes shown a tendency to show where he's going with the ball presnap
-"Love is helming a a talent-deficient offense, so it’s hard to separate his skill set from his stats―but it’s clear that all the tools are there."
-Probably would be better off returning for another year
-Has the type of physical skillset to really impress teams at combine/proday enviroments

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5 ... king-2020.
I think it's a fair assessment, maybe even a little generous.

I will say that I hope he doesn't transfer just so we get the free PR when (and if) he does well in the NFL.

Locked Previous topicNext topic