The Delay handoff....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
splintorb

The Delay handoff....

Post by splintorb » November 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm

How many times this year do we have to watch the delayed hand off up the middle? And how many times does it have to fail in the red zone before we stop trying it?

splintorb

Re: The Delay handoff....

Post by splintorb » November 9th, 2019, 8:08 pm

It is a joke to me that we have a 6’4” or 5 or whatever he is, and we cannot get 1 yard...how in the world do we not learn 1 under center play...?

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » November 9th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Why did we not get the points and go for the field goal and take over the lead?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That was the worst 4 downs I have ever seen called in my life.
These users thanked the author MacAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

splintorb

Post by splintorb » November 9th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Also, how does the challenge work in college? How does Gary NOT challenge the Love run on 2nd?! How are we this BAD??

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2019, 7:09 am

When it's fourth and goal, from half a yard out and your running back gets tackled on the five, it's pretty safe to say the defense has your number.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
NVAggieBLUERUFiOJSHarvey

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 10th, 2019, 7:15 am

splintorb wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:10 pm
Also, how does the challenge work in college? How does Gary NOT challenge the Love run on 2nd?! How are we this BAD??
He could have challenged, unless he previously lost a challenge.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 10th, 2019, 7:33 am

Was the stupidest play call at the goal line. Either run run it up the gut - yes I said run it up the gut, or do what Wyoming did and stretch the defense out with a bootleg or true option.

I was okay with the decision to go for it, we’ve just got to have a better play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
JSHarvey

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 10th, 2019, 7:42 am

splintorb wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm
How many times this year do we have to watch the delayed hand off up the middle? And how many times does it have to fail in the red zone before we stop trying it?
Everytime since its the only run play in the Aggie playbook. Its not technically a delayed handoff but rather an inside zone read.

But I absolutely agree. The Aggies showed that they can execute an under center snap twice.

In fact I heard a rumor about a play where the QB keeps the ball under center when you have inches to go. Heard that it really a decent play when you have a big tall athletic QB. Maybe when the Aggies get someone like that they can put it in the playbook.

Snapping the ball 5 yards back in a one back set on 4th and a foot is assenine.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 10th, 2019, 8:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:09 am
When it's fourth and goal, from half a yard out and your running back gets tackled on the five, it's pretty safe to say the defense has your number.
A giant YES Aggies22. As a matter of fact, Fresno outscored us in the second half which supports my opinion that our coordinators aren't getting the job done and our opponents make those essential second half and real time adjustments that seem to be beyond our football I Q.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 10th, 2019, 8:22 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 8:15 am
aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:09 am
A giant YES Aggies22. As a matter of fact, Fresno outscored us in the second half which supports my opinion that our coordinators aren't getting the job done and our opponents make those essential second half and real time adjustments that seem to be beyond our football I Q.
For the offense I wouldn't go as far as to say that they had our number in the second half the Aggies had 4scoring drives during that have just three of them are field goals but they were still scoring drives. And we had a fith where we got down to the half-yard line and we know what happened on that. The defense while struggled mightily at times came up with two third-down stops in the fourth quarter in order to give the offense the ball back.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

That last defensive stand on third down was an exceptional play. Wildman made a great play.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Zaggie07

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » November 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

I wish we would of done a little trick play there. Maybe a jump pass to Terrell or run the philly special... perfect opportunity missed. Inside zone on 4th and goal on the half yard line is ridiculous. Other than that I think we played a great game overall. I think there is hope left. We can beat any team besides LSU Imo if love plays like that and we had tipa and Woodward where they were last year. ON THE THE BRIDGER BATTLE

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

Definitely thought Love got in on 2nd down. Was surprised they didn’t review that. Thought the decision to go on 4th was the right one but the play call was very poor. It was just inches. Like others have said, QB sneak under center a total no-brainer to me....

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 12th, 2019, 7:25 am

We wouldn't have won the challenge because there wasn't enough to overturn it. Then we lose a timeout. Then we lose the game because Gary is not good with timeouts. Time would have expired while the FG unit tried to get on the field. If you don't believe it, there's video of Wisconsin and ASU. Worst managed game ever.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
NVAggieaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 13th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:25 am
We wouldn't have won the challenge because there wasn't enough to overturn it. Then we lose a timeout. Then we lose the game because Gary is not good with timeouts. Time would have expired while the FG unit tried to get on the field. If you don't believe it, there's video of Wisconsin and ASU. Worst managed game ever.
So what you're saying is perhaps Coach Andersen learned from that debacle?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 13th, 2019, 5:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:14 pm
Ahbye wrote:
So what you're saying is perhaps Coach Andersen learned from that debacle?
I think he may have.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
aggies22

ususports

Post by ususports » November 13th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Ahbye wrote:
I would have to say Matt Wells at home against New Mexico a few years back at least challenges to win the award for worst managed game ever.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 13th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Ahbye wrote:
Wasn’t saying we should have challenged it. Just saying I thought the officials should have reviewed it.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 14th, 2019, 3:42 am

bluegrouse wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 7:41 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Wasn’t saying we should have challenged it. Just saying I thought the officials should have reviewed it.
GameFAQ's suggested the challenge. The officials should have just called him in and then went to review it instead of the other way around. All over college football, officials are being more timid and not making calls that could be controversial and just relying on the review to bail them out. When you have a scrum at the goal line, it can't be overturned so the officials can just point at the replay booth and say, "See"?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 14th, 2019, 9:03 am

Fresno's jet sweep was very successful in the RZ, we should haven taken notice.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
El Sapo

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 14th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Goal line is not where you call plays where there are decisions / options. Sure they can work but it's not what you see pro teams do.

Short yardage scoring plays are more of a special skill than they appear. Pete Banazack wasn't a great RB, but he had a knack for scoring on goal line plays. He wasn't a big strong guy, he wasn't fast, he didn't jump over the pile. He just took the ball into the EZ when the team was within 2-3 yards. He could see the opening and contort his body to fit through.

Maybe having Art Shell and Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto in front of him helped a little :noidea:

GUS

Post by GUS » November 14th, 2019, 12:18 pm

El Sapo wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Goal line is not where you call plays where there are decisions / options. Sure they can work but it's not what you see pro teams do.

Short yardage scoring plays are more of a special skill than they appear. Pete Banazack wasn't a great RB, but he had a knack for scoring on goal line plays. He wasn't a big strong guy, he wasn't fast, he didn't jump over the pile. He just took the ball into the EZ when the team was within 2-3 yards. He could see the opening and contort his body to fit through.

Maybe having Art Shell and Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto in front of him helped a little :noidea:
Except that Seattle SeaHawks did that in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago and it cost them the game.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 14th, 2019, 12:24 pm

ususports wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
I would have to say Matt Wells at home against New Mexico a few years back at least challenges to win the award for worst managed game ever.
Yep. The (I can't express myself without swearing) Show Game. Worst managed game I've ever witnessed. I was in attendance and sat there shaking my head with my mouth agape for about 10 minutes after we lost it in that fashion.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2019, 12:43 pm

That UNM game changed me as a fan. I was so mad that I made the choice to not ever get that mad again. I just turn it off if I start getting mad. I don't think I watched another game that season.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 14th, 2019, 12:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:

On 4th and goal and less than a yard there are 5 acceptable options all under center:

1. A QB sneak
2. An I formation FB dive
3. An I formation ISO
4. An I formation play action bootleg with your best hands TE running a short out and your best hands WR coming deep on a drag.
5. A goal line play like Boise's statue of liberty that you perfect all year to use at the season's most critical moment.

I would also add a power toss sweep to audible to in certain circumstances depending on how the D loads up.

Thats it. Don't get #%$#ing cute.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2019, 2:41 pm

hickaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 12:47 pm
El Sapo wrote:

On 4th and goal and less than a yard there are 5 acceptable options all under center:

1. A QB sneak
2. An I formation FB dive
3. An I formation ISO
4. An I formation play action bootleg with your best hands TE running a short out and your best hands WR coming deep on a drag.
5. A goal line play like Boise's statue of liberty that you perfect all year to use at the season's most critical moment.

I would also add a power toss sweep to audible to in certain circumstances depending on how the D loads up.

Thats it. Don't get #%$#ing cute.
Damn straight Hick!!! Get a headset and get up in the booth!! Special note: we can't run #1-#4 out of the gun formation. Those are QB under center plays. That's how seriously we are limited. Those core short yardage plays aren't even available in our system. Instead we get a time out followed by Love and the RB running into each other 5 yards deep with neither one wanting the ball.

If that's our system then stay the hell out of the red zone. Take your shots into the EZ starting at the 30 instead of waiting to enter the dead zone. Couldn't do any worse than we are... the worst scoring percentage in the country in red zone

Locked Previous topicNext topic