This season vs. last season (this might seem a little crazy)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

This season vs. last season (this might seem a little crazy)

Post by ineptimusprime » November 16th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Our offensive production is not what it was last year, but in some ways, this year is at least as impressive.

We beat a whopping three teams that finished with winning records last year — BYU, Hawaii, and North Texas (Wyoming finished 6-6).

This year, we’ve already beaten three teams likely to finish with winning records — SDSU, Nevada, and Wyoming and another likely to finish 6-6 (Fresno).

I would argue the win @SDSU was the most impressive win of either season.

If we beat New Mexico and win our bowl game, you could make a case this season was just as good adjusting for schedule difficulty. If we beat Boise too, there’s a good case this season was BETTER than last year.

Am I crazy?

Turtle

Re: This season vs. last season (this might seem a little crazy)

Post by Turtle » November 16th, 2019, 9:22 pm

There is something to be said about the difficulty of winning 11 games against any FBS opponents. Football is a game that can change at the drop of a hat, and the fact that we were able to hardcore blow out so many opponents last year should account for something more.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 16th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Interesting thought. Perhaps more impressive but part of that is last years team didn’t have a lot of chances against good teams (as you pointed out).

The 2018 team probably beats everyone on our schedule to this point but LSU and maybe Air Force

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 16th, 2019, 9:35 pm

We have beaten just as many P5 teams by proxy this year as last year. Last year, we beat Arizona and Wisconsin by proxy through BYU, and Arkansas by proxy twice, through Colorado State and North Texas. This year, we beat Purdue through Nevada, Missouri through Wyoming, and UCLA through San Diego State.

Of course, those comparisons don't work that way as fun as it is to think they do. But it's also a good thing being worse than Liberty, South Florida and Toledo don't work that way either.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 16th, 2019, 9:40 pm

This season has been such a roller coaster. the low of losing like we did to wake to the high of beating SDSU. We then had the lowest of lows getting thrashed against AF and BYU to come back and get 2 huge wins against Fresno and WYO. I am proud of this team for their resolve with all of the key injuries. This season has not maybe gone as a lot of us hoped, but I am super happy right now.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 16th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 9:40 pm
This season has been such a roller coaster.
The only kind of roller coaster that I don't like.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » November 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

This season has felt somewhat disappointing at times. Although I think it's gone pretty close to how I would have envisioned a fairly successful season at the beginning of the year. If you would have said, at the start, that they would be 5-1 in conference with road wins at both San Diego and Fresno and I would have been ecstatic. I would have have assumed a loss to Air Force, just not getting completely demolished. Losing to Wake was disappointing because of the way it ended, but not really surprising. Losing to BYU like they did was bad, but it doesn't mean anything. LSU is LSU, nothing more needs to be said. Just go beat Boise next week and this can still be a great season even with some ups and downs! Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic