I'm not a football coach

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdotcom

I'm not a football coach

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 16th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Someone explain to me why at the end of the first half we call a timeout at :15 going in to a 4th down FG situation, rather than running the clock down to :02 to end the half on the FG?

Chatman

Re: I'm not a football coach

Post by Chatman » November 16th, 2019, 10:25 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Someone explain to me why at the end of the first half we call a timeout at :15 going in to a 4th down FG situation, rather than running the clock down to :02 to end the half on the FG?
I think Andersen realized he had made a mistake immediately after he called it.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
aggiesdotcom

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 16th, 2019, 11:06 pm

I think Coach Andersen likely did one of two things. He either forgot what down it was and how many time outs we had left OR he just panicked and called timeout about 12 seconds too early.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 16th, 2019, 11:39 pm

Time management has never been his wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » November 17th, 2019, 12:01 am

I also wish we had taken our time with our defensive substitution when Wyoming substituted on the last drive. We could have forced them to run some more time of the clock. I was watching the Baylor - Oklahoma game. Baylor took there time substituting and forced Oklahoma to call a time out.

Anyway it was a fun game.
These users thanked the author jwaggie for the post:
sneed

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 17th, 2019, 12:23 am

The real question for me was why with 9 seconds left and a new set of downs thanks to the leveraging penalty, plus an extra 15 yards closer to the goal line, did we not try one more pass at the end zone. Seemed like we were in a good groove with the pass game during that stretch as well.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 17th, 2019, 4:00 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 12:23 am
The real question for me was why with 9 seconds left and a new set of downs thanks to the leveraging penalty, plus an extra 15 yards closer to the goal line, did we not try one more pass at the end zone. Seemed like we were in a good groove with the pass game during that stretch as well.
Never take points off the board.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
thegreendalegelf

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 17th, 2019, 6:27 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:The real question for me was why with 9 seconds left and a new set of downs thanks to the leveraging penalty, plus an extra 15 yards closer to the goal line, did we not try one more pass at the end zone. Seemed like we were in a good groove with the pass game during that stretch as well.
I thought it was the right decision after a poor timeout. With 5 more seconds or another timeout we could have taken another shot. As it was I think we were smart to take the points, especially with as inept as we are at scoring in a compressed field situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 17th, 2019, 6:34 am

Can you imagine taking 3 points off the board and then throwing an interception?

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2019, 8:46 am

A sack would have ended the half. So would a pass completed in bounds. Don't take points off the board.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 17th, 2019, 9:44 am

Chatman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 4:00 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Especially since we'd just taken points off the board on the previous drive by not being able to get half a yard on 4th down.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

Chatman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 4:00 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Wait so If we had all our timeouts and 1 minute left you would say decline the penalty? Really?

I agree with Hipster that you could design a pretty low risk pass to the end zone. I’m fine with what Gary did with no timeouts but never take points off the board is antiquated thinking.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » November 17th, 2019, 12:24 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Without that FG we are only up 2 points at the end of the game. Wyoming would only have to get in FG range to win the game. Instead they have to drive for the TD, the QB got flustered, and throws the INT.

I usually am one to roll the dice a little, but with no timeouts left and 30 yards or so away, the risk/reward was too high. That FG put pressure on the Pokes in the second half.

astroman31

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Let's not get too carried away here on hypertheticals.

The specific situation is nine seconds left, no timeouts and we are on approximately the 15 yard line. It is a close game, and we just made a heck of a FG. We do not have a Tarver like receiver. A sack or play in bounds ends the half. Keeping the points is almost a no brainer.

With these parameters, the only situation I can think of where we would take points off the board and take the risk would be if we were way behind, trying to get back into the game - something akin to where Oklahoma was with Baylor. At best it would be a desperate, aggressive gamble that in our case was not warranted.

Now...if we had a timeout and/or if we had 20-30 seconds and/or if we had a big, goto receiver...that is a totally different scenario.

Coach A made the correct decision.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I am with you Hipster.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » November 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Let's not get too carried away here on hypertheticals.

The specific situation is nine seconds left, no timeouts and we are on approximately the 15 yard line. It is a close game, and we just made a heck of a FG. We do not have a Tarver like receiver. A sack or play in bounds ends the half. Keeping the points is almost a no brainer.

With these parameters, the only situation I can think of where we would take points off the board and take the risk would be if we were way behind, trying to get back into the game - something akin to where Oklahoma was with Baylor. At best it would be a desperate, aggressive gamble that in our case was not warranted.

Now...if we had a timeout and/or if we had 20-30 seconds and/or if we had a big, goto receiver...that is a totally different scenario.

Coach A made the correct decision.
This is 100% the right answer.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I am with you Hipster.
That would have not been the right call as the penalty would have placed us inside the red zone. No way we score a td from there as we struggle inside the red zone.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » November 17th, 2019, 3:53 pm

I was sitting in the stands right behind Andersen and it looked like the ref was quick to call the timeout. He was looking at the ref and looked to say something to him as he started the t.o. motion and the ref just called it. Andersen looked disgusted as the ref blew the whistle.

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » November 17th, 2019, 7:21 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:53 pm
I was sitting in the stands right behind Andersen and it looked like the ref was quick to call the timeout. He was looking at the ref and looked to say something to him as he started the t.o. motion and the ref just called it. Andersen looked disgusted as the ref blew the whistle.
That what I got from my vantage point as well, after it was called Gary kinda angerly threw his hands up said a few words to the ref and walked off

ususports

Post by ususports » November 17th, 2019, 7:50 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Based on our consistent frequency and pattern, Gary knew we were due for another low snap, 5 yards to the side of the QB for a 20 yard loss. Knowing this would likely happen on the next play, Gary did the right thing by keeping the points.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
stewusu98

astroman31

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Uh...you realize we won the game right? And it was against a solid opponent. It wasn't a lucky win either - and I happily and unabashedly accept lucky wins.

As for frequency, it happened one time this season when we had a new signal caller in. You understand that also?

Bitterness among Aggies after a win gets old. We are hardly better than zoobies.

These users thanked the author astroman31 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkBadElbow

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 8:29 pm
Uh...you realize we won the game right? And it was against a solid opponent. It wasn't a lucky win either - and I happily and unabashedly accept lucky wins.

As for frequency, it happened one time this season when we had a new signal caller in. You understand that also?

Bitterness among Aggies after a win gets old. We are hardly better than zoobies.

I completely agree with your post it seems after a win people want to focus so much on what went wrong vs what went right. That's why I leave the coaches to do is to let them stress about what they're going to do to get make it better I'm just happy we won I don't care how it happened. The fact of the matter is even with all of our struggles this year we are 6-4 overall and 5-1 in conference and we still have a chance at a mw championship.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 8:29 pm

It was a simple joke. That being said, if you have only seen one bad snap this season, you haven't been watching the games. Loosen up and enjoy life. I am happy with the win and thoroughly enjoyed the game.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
TheAKAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic