Red Zone Offense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
El Sapo

Red Zone Offense

Post by El Sapo » November 17th, 2019, 10:55 am

Our inept performance in the redzone….. It's in our heads now. The coaches, the players, the other team and the fans. It's almost something you can see and feel like a blanket. We're going out of character to address it. (Love trying to run the ball into the EZ by going head to head w/defenders) Love the effort, and hope for some breakthrough change in the ongoing failure to get points, but unfortunately, at this point we are who we are, it might be too late for any significant corrective action.

ThunderAggie

Re: Red Zone Offense

Post by ThunderAggie » November 17th, 2019, 11:06 am

We should not be in the bottom 5 or so out of all 130 FBS teams in redzone efficiency!!!! We should be on the other end of the spectrum to be honest. We have a NFL caliber QB and some pretty good RB and WR on a 6-4 football team. No reason we should be kicking field goals every time we get in the redzone. It was pathetic that we got an interception to the 1 yard line and then ended up kicking a field goal from the 7 yard line. I love Eberle to death and he is a huge reason we have the record we have this year, but we need to be scoring more points! Play calling is awful on the goal line, which doesn't help everything. Put Love under center and then PUSH him in for crying out loud!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 17th, 2019, 12:12 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:06 am
We should not be in the bottom 5 or so out of all 130 FBS teams in redzone efficiency!!!! We should be on the other end of the spectrum to be honest. We have a NFL caliber QB and some pretty good RB and WR on a 6-4 football team. No reason we should be kicking field goals every time we get in the redzone. It was pathetic that we got an interception to the 1 yard line and then ended up kicking a field goal from the 7 yard line. I love Eberle to death and he is a huge reason we have the record we have this year, but we need to be scoring more points! Play calling is awful on the goal line, which doesn't help everything. Put Love under center and then PUSH him in for crying out loud!

We are in the bottom one of all 130.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
918AGG

Eutaw St. Aggie

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

Well, when you run up the gut all the time this is the end result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

Everyone keeps referring to running it up the gut but that simplifies and miscategorizes the actual problems. It is a read option we are running but Love rarely keeps it anymore. Last year he got 4-5 Tds pulling it. So teams load up on the RB knowing it won't be pulled. They also attack off the edge to contain Love in critical situations just in case he does keep. In fact, against Fresno the play was blown up by the edge guy whose job was actually Love contain, but our TE and tackle were so bad that he blew up the handoff instead.

So we are basically running a RPO out of the gun in a situation where teams cannot really be frozen. They have to gamble against the inside zone read and its not really a gamble because the Aggies never do anything else in those situations. Its the worst of both worlds. The run is delayed because of basically a fake read that nobody is buying.

If our OC had half a brain and wasn't such a lazy (I can't express myself without swearing) a great and big physical passer like Love is deadly out of an I formation package under center with just a few plays in those areas. Bootleg, play action, QB sneak for the QB. Dive, Iso, and pitch for the RB. Teams have to respect what he can do and it opens up the dive, ISO pitch, jet sweep, exc. It also takes away the issue of the obligatory snap to nowhere and edge blockers blowing up simple dives when our ends and TEs have blocking issues. In fact, the bootleg can work in the favor of a TE who is on film getting beat on blocks because he can delay and slip out of it and usually be wide open on the out route. A tackle eligible play would be awesome too.

It is a BS cop out to say some basic redzone stuff that Love or Colombi would both be adept at running can't be installed. They are simple formations and plays that every player out there is familiar with. Not even zone blocking. Just get low and get your man. Run it hard and fast without any reads necessary except for the easy two receiver route on the bootleg. You can still run Loves corner fade and slant routes out of it too. A Dive fake jet sweep work great out of a package like that too.

Even if Sanford doesn't believe a power package would solve his red zone woes why the hell doesn't he try. It couldn't be any worse and at least we'll avoid the 20 yard losses for errant snaps.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
USUaggie

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 18th, 2019, 1:00 pm

hickaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Everyone keeps referring to running it up the gut but that simplifies and miscategorizes the actual problems. It is a read option we are running but Love rarely keeps it anymore. Last year he got 4-5 Tds pulling it. So teams load up on the RB knowing it won't be pulled. They also attack off the edge to contain Love in critical situations just in case he does keep. In fact, against Fresno the play was blown up by the edge guy whose job was actually Love contain, but our TE and tackle were so bad that he blew up the handoff instead.
This is what bugs me the most. Ever since he was a freshman in fall camp, I've been impressed with how well Jordan sold the read. He would tuck the ball in the RB's gut and really make everyone think about what was going to happen next.

Now, he barely waves the ball at the RB if it's a pass, and keeps it once a game if it is a run. The read isn't fooling anyone.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

dyedblue

Red Zone Offense

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2019, 7:41 am

He barely waives the ball whether there is a RB there or not. Against Boise watch how many fakes are given to Casper. It delays his ability to look down field and does nothing to show the defense down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on November 20th, 2019, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

Our RZ offense is the reason why we're not 8-2 instead of 6-4 IMHO. How hard would it be to draw up something creative for gawd sake!? A little reverse or statue of liberty or something????
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
NVAggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 20th, 2019, 2:40 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 9:25 am
Our RZ offense is the reason why we're not 8-2 instead of 6-4 IMHO. How hard would it be to draw up something creative for gawd sake!? A little reverse or statue of liberty or something????
It seems like its a pretty hard task for Sanford. I mean after all its below what a former head coach should have to do I guess.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 21st, 2019, 5:56 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 2:40 pm
ViAggie wrote:
It seems like its a pretty hard task for Sanford. I mean after all its below what a former head coach should have to do I guess.
There is only so much room on a cocktail napkin.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 22nd, 2019, 8:34 am

Hick, your hired. I Expect to see you on the sidelines during Redzones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 22nd, 2019, 11:09 am

Put Munoz in the backfield with Thompkins. Put Thompkins in motion. Munoz can dive or pitch to Tompkins......I'm only saying Munoz because he made that interception with his hands. He can clearly handle the ball. He even transferred it during the runback. He looks like he's played offense. We did similar with LB's in the past. Was that GA?

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm

ViAggie wrote:
I can see how we’d be 7-3 instead of 6-4, but our other three losses were pretty damn comprehensive. Not sure where you are seeing enough of a difference in RZ execution to make up the point differentials against LSU, AFA, or BYU.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » November 22nd, 2019, 1:48 pm

your headline is a misnomer
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
El Sapo

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » November 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

hickaggie wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

So we are basically running a RPO out of the gun in a situation where teams cannot really be frozen. They have to gamble against the inside zone read and its not really a gamble because the Aggies never do anything else in those situations. Its the worst of both worlds. The run is delayed because of basically a fake read that nobody is buying.

If our OC had half a brain and wasn't such a lazy a** a great and big physical passer like Love is deadly out of an I formation package under center with just a few plays in those areas. Bootleg, play action, QB sneak for the QB. Dive, Iso, and pitch for the RB. Teams have to respect what he can do and it opens up the dive, ISO pitch, jet sweep, exc. It also takes away the issue of the obligatory snap to nowhere and edge blockers blowing up simple dives when our ends and TEs have blocking issues. In fact, the bootleg can work in the favor of a TE who is on film getting beat on blocks because he can delay and slip out of it and usually be wide open on the out route. A tackle eligible play would be awesome too.

It is a BS cop out to say some basic redzone stuff that Love or Colombi would both be adept at running can't be installed. They are simple formations and plays that every player out there is familiar with. Not even zone blocking. Just get low and get your man. Run it hard and fast without any reads necessary except for the easy two receiver route on the bootleg. You can still run Loves corner fade and slant routes out of it too. A Dive fake jet sweep work great out of a package like that too.

Even if Sanford doesn't believe a power package would solve his red zone woes why the hell doesn't he try. It couldn't be any worse and at least we'll avoid the 20 yard losses for errant snaps.
So why isn't the Logan High coach we brought in seeing this?
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 2):
El SapoWAaggieFan

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

If our OC had half a brain and wasn't such a lazy a** a great and big physical passer like Love is deadly out of an I formation package under center with just a few plays in those areas. Bootleg, play action, QB sneak for the QB. Dive, Iso, and pitch for the RB. Teams have to respect what he can do and it opens up the dive, ISO pitch, jet sweep, exc. It also takes away the issue of the obligatory snap to nowhere and edge blockers blowing up simple dives when our ends and TEs have blocking issues. In fact, the bootleg can work in the favor of a TE who is on film getting beat on blocks because he can delay and slip out of it and usually be wide open on the out route. A tackle eligible play would be awesome too.

So why isn't the Logan High coach we brought in seeing this?
I am not saying what I think they ought to put a simple package together exactly this way but these aren't plays I am pulling out of thin air but rather proven, simple plays that are hard to counteract effectively without exposing your defense to a counter or variation. I know from a Defensive perspective that the Aggies play calling in the red zone has made things way to easy to scout and stuff pre-snap. That's before they even get to the execution of it.

When a defense has their back against the wall on short and goal especially they have to gamble a bit and hope the play goes where they are loading up. The last thing you want is to attack the area they load up with a delayed read play because penetration is going to happen. Just my amateur opinion, but if I'm wrong fine, but do something to mix things up unless you want to be the definition of insane.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 23rd, 2019, 1:05 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 1:48 pm
your headline is a misnomer
Next level there Sammy. Love it. :cheers:

Way back in 71-72 at Winterland in SF I had my hands on a T-Shirt Sammy wore during the show and threw into the crowd at the end. Montrose was the opening act and I seemed to be one of the few people in the crowd who was blown away by what I was hearing. My buddies laughed at me when I ran and dove for the shirt. I was just a little late. Shortly thereafter one of my friends took a few puffs on something that was passed to him.... He had to lay down on the floor for the rest of the night.LOL Joe Walsh was the headliner

Locked Previous topicNext topic