Attendance / Wyo Fans

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SasquatchAggie
Posts: 153
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by SasquatchAggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I thought that attendance was a little better than the announced number. Wyoming brought a good contingent of fans, probably the most I have ever seen them have there.

I know that a lot of Aggie fans like to cheer for Wyoming when they aren't playing USU but I sure love to beat those guys, mostly because of their fans. Some fans on their board think we are "rinky dink" and don't deserve to have a good team because we have low attendance numbers, Logan sucks, the gameday atmosphere sucked, our campus is ugly, and we didn't have working ticket scanners at the game. It's like they have never been to Laramie or attended a game at their own stadium. :headscratch:

I know that we all want better attendance numbers but that fact of the matter is that there are 2 other big D1 schools in Utah that we are competing with. If Cache Valley were the size of the Salt Lake Valley, we wouldn't have a problem filling a 45,000 seat stadium. But Cache Valley isn't that big and unfortunately I think we are always going to struggle with attendance.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 794
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Wyoming travelled very well.
I was erked to see all the Wyoming plates from Salt Lake to Logan.
I was happy their drive home was long and fruitless.
Student attendance held us back. We were easily short 4K students yesterday.
Lots of teams hate on us because we are easy targets.
Mountain West basketball champs and currently 5-1 in conference in football.



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1263
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ThunderAggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm
Wyoming travelled very well.
I was erked to see all the Wyoming plates from Salt Lake to Logan.
I was happy their drive home was long and fruitless.
Student attendance held us back. We were easily short 4K students yesterday.
Lots of teams hate on us because we are easy targets.
Mountain West basketball champs and currently 5-1 in conference in football.
Wouldn't it be something if we end up beating Boise and NM and AF loses one game and we win the MW championship. Then, to add to that, we live up to expectations, and win the MW basketball tourney again!!

We could have 3 straight MW championships (excluding smaller and less popular sports....not saying they are meaningless.)
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
Sl7vk



User avatar
Lonely Cowboy
Posts: 21
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Lonely Cowboy » November 17th, 2019, 9:40 pm

The WYO fans we interacted with yesterday were good guys/people. :-)

I traveled to the Wyoming game last year in Laramie. Their fans were accommodating and welcomed us to their stadium. I love that this game can become, and hope it will be a rivalry game once again.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2750
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by AgMac » November 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?



Madmartigan
Posts: 2718
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Madmartigan » November 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm
I thought that attendance was a little better than the announced number. Wyoming brought a good contingent of fans, probably the most I have ever seen them have there.

I know that a lot of Aggie fans like to cheer for Wyoming when they aren't playing USU but I sure love to beat those guys, mostly because of their fans. Some fans on their board think we are "rinky dink" and don't deserve to have a good team because we have low attendance numbers, Logan sucks, the gameday atmosphere sucked, our campus is ugly, and we didn't have working ticket scanners at the game. It's like they have never been to Laramie or attended a game at their own stadium. :headscratch:

I know that we all want better attendance numbers but that fact of the matter is that there are 2 other big D1 schools in Utah that we are competing with. If Cache Valley were the size of the Salt Lake Valley, we wouldn't have a problem filling a 45,000 seat stadium. But Cache Valley isn't that big and unfortunately I think we are always going to struggle with attendance.
The truth hurts. We don't have a fanbase that supports the football program well enough. I can't disagree with much that the Wyo fans are saying regarding our fan support. Now the part about Logan and our campus being ugly is pretty dumb.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2791
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 591 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ineptimusprime » November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19122

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19124

There’s the two threads on the Wyoming board for those interested.

I can see why visiting fans would find us “small time,” but what those dipwads seem to be glossing over is that they are literally the only show in the entire state, whereas we are a distant third place in fan support and fan base in our state.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1861
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Outside of student attendance yesterday I thought the overall crowd was great. Let them say what they want it really doesn't bother me at all. I have been too games in Laramie war memorial is not a high-class facility as well. The only thing that matters is were 5 and 1 in conference and since joining the conference we are 5-2 against them so that's the only thing that matters. I don't know why I don't like Wyoming football but for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1861
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm
https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19122

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19124

There’s the two threads on the Wyoming board for those interested.

I can see why visiting fans would find us “small time,” but what those dipwads seem to be glossing over is that they are literally the only show in the entire state, whereas we are a distant third place in fan support and fan base in our state.
Absolutely true they are literally the only show in town for the whole state whereas we are a distant third in our own State granted our population is a lot bigger but still.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2791
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 591 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ineptimusprime » November 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm
https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19122

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19124

There’s the two threads on the Wyoming board for those interested.

I can see why visiting fans would find us “small time,” but what those dipwads seem to be glossing over is that they are literally the only show in the entire state, whereas we are a distant third place in fan support and fan base in our state.
Absolutely true they are literally the only show in town for the whole state whereas we are a distant third in our own State granted our population is a lot bigger but still.
Utah has 5 D1 schools. Wyoming has 1. I would hope that the one D1 program in Wyoming would have good fan support.



User avatar
TrueAggieman
Posts: 391
Joined: August 7th, 2011, 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by TrueAggieman » November 17th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Any talk of Logan or our campus being ugly is laughable. When we drove into Laramie to go to the game last year I laughed out loud and could not believe it was the location of their school. Talk about rinky dink.


Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

bpd
Posts: 1075
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by bpd » November 17th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I attended a Utah State game in Laramie a few years ago, it was when JoJo Natson and Hunter Sharp were on the team. Their stadium was maybe half full... maybe. Their stadium is not that great. I also attended the basketball game in Laramie last year. They had about 1000 people in attendance.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3211
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by bluegrouse » November 17th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Scoreboard
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey



slcagg
Posts: 4559
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by slcagg » November 18th, 2019, 4:56 am

Yeah I don’t think they big time attendance either. I bet they have better tailgating though.

And making fun of Logan is kind of funny coming from someone comparing to Laramie. Wyoming is never going to be a consistent winner because there is not a much instate talent.



GordoAggie
Posts: 216
Joined: November 15th, 2014, 7:29 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by GordoAggie » November 18th, 2019, 7:07 am

I was surprised at the amount of brown and yellow. At times they seemed to out cheer us.
The interaction I had with their fans was very pleasant.
Some of those criticisms are spot on imo.



bigbluemtn
Posts: 4
Joined: December 4th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by bigbluemtn » November 18th, 2019, 8:13 am

You guys should be fasting and praying for the Pokes. Guess who they play next week.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 794
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2019, 8:24 am

bigbluemtn wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 8:13 am
You guys should be fasting and praying for the Pokes. Guess who they play next week.
Colorado State.



AggieMan5
Posts: 1077
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 2:33 pm
Location: SLC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by AggieMan5 » November 18th, 2019, 8:39 am

The students killed our attendance. I thought the rest of the stadium filled in really well actually.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5398
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 383 times
Been thanked: 652 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 18th, 2019, 8:50 am

I wish I had a picture of the game midway through the 2nd quarter when it was peak attendance. There's no way there was only 16,000 people there. I say 19,000 at minimum. I have no idea what happened.

You have the U of U announcing sell outs with only the stadium 2/3 full and then us announcing less attendance than what is actually there by about 15%.



User avatar
Blue42
Posts: 213
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Blue42 » November 18th, 2019, 9:06 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 8:50 am
I wish I had a picture of the game midway through the 2nd quarter when it was peak attendance. There's no way there was only 16,000 people there. I say 19,000 at minimum. I have no idea what happened.

You have the U of U announcing sell outs with only the stadium 2/3 full and then us announcing less attendance than what is actually there by about 15%.
Ticket scanners weren’t working. Didn’t get charged after the basketball game Friday night or something like that. I’m sure that made the count inaccurate compared to other games.


“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 610
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by 918AGG » November 18th, 2019, 9:10 am

Sad. I kinda like Wyoming fans (based on prior interactions). We have so much in common.

According to the banter, we are somehow obsessed with getting into BYU and beating BYU. They must not offer the Practical Logic course in Laramie.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1947
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by AggiesForever » November 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

Madmartigan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm
The truth hurts. We don't have a fanbase that supports the football program well enough. I can't disagree with much that the Wyo fans are saying regarding our fan support. Now the part about Logan and our campus being ugly is pretty dumb.
And do you know what I am getting really sick of-- Aggie fans telling me to pipe down about attendance. Well I won't. It stinks. We are winning at a .620 pace (62-40) since 2012, so there is absolutely no reason for Aggie fans to not attend games, especially on a beautiful fall afternoon. The product is excellent, the amenities are excellent, everything has been provided for USU fans to have a great game experience. Could some things be better? Yes, we could use some better concession facilities on the upper east side and more rest room facilities there.

But until Aggie fans-- students and townspeople -- start supporting this team by buying tickets,, coming early and tailgating and doing some of the other things, why should the athletic department do any more than the roughly $55 million or so they have already done? :disappointed:

You have to admit, some of those posts by Wyoming fans are pretty comical. "Our exceedingly beautiful campus?" Right.

BTW, we sat with a group of Wyoming fans and you could ask for better fans. They were friendly and into the banter that goes back and forth, but never anything negative or snotty. I would sit by a Wyoming fan anyday of the week over some condescending a$$ from BYU or Utah.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
oleblu111GordoAggie



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9054
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm
I thought that attendance was a little better than the announced number. Wyoming brought a good contingent of fans, probably the most I have ever seen them have there.

I know that a lot of Aggie fans like to cheer for Wyoming when they aren't playing USU but I sure love to beat those guys, mostly because of their fans. Some fans on their board think we are "rinky dink" and don't deserve to have a good team because we have low attendance numbers, Logan sucks, the gameday atmosphere sucked, our campus is ugly, and we didn't have working ticket scanners at the game. It's like they have never been to Laramie or attended a game at their own stadium. :headscratch:

I know that we all want better attendance numbers but that fact of the matter is that there are 2 other big D1 schools in Utah that we are competing with. If Cache Valley were the size of the Salt Lake Valley, we wouldn't have a problem filling a 45,000 seat stadium. But Cache Valley isn't that big and unfortunately I think we are always going to struggle with attendance.
And Wyo is the only game in town... err the state. It's not like they've got two other D1-FBS schools, four FCS schools, pro basketball and soccer to contend with.


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by TheAKAggie » November 18th, 2019, 9:38 am

AgMac wrote:I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?
Because Image it Image is Image always Image like Image that Image for Image day Image games Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

rAggie
Posts: 502
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 126 times
Contact:

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by rAggie » November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am

Just to be clear

Image



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4119
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 18th, 2019, 10:11 am

We may be small time and rinky-dink, but we beat their asses. So yeah, there's that.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
JSHarvey


Formerly TulsAGGIE

mcaggie1
Posts: 2641
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by mcaggie1 » November 18th, 2019, 10:15 am

AgMac wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm
I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?
We talked before the Y game on how important it was. We all, obviously want to beat them bad every year. There were quite a few who thought that the Conference games are more important. There are points both ways that I agree with....BUT I submit to you that from an attendance standpoint, the Y game is the most important game of the year. Had we turned the tables and beat up on them like they did to us.....we would have had a few thousand more fans at the Wyoming game than we did.



User avatar
IfelOfasofa
Posts: 12
Joined: October 18th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by IfelOfasofa » November 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

Not making an excuse, just doing some quick math of county population vs stadium size (2017 numbers):
USU needs 20% of the county to fill The Mav.
UofU needs 4% of the county to fill RES.
BYU needs 10% of the county to fill LES.
Wyo needs 70% of the county to fill War Memorial ( I assume they draw from farther, due to being the only team in the state).

With I assume a decent number of BYU and Utah fans in Cache county, USU needs a much higher percentage of the population to fill the stadium.


...from the spot where the sagebrush grows!
:utah: :state:

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9054
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:16 am

The game day experience at USU has gotten much better, but then again I have only been there a few times over the last 6 years and the games were in the evening. I noticed a lot more people tail gating than there used to be. And the one time I made it to Laramie to a game, I was extremely disappointed by the tail gating going on around the stadium. So...


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9054
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

rAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am
Just to be clear

Image
I think USU casts a wider net than that, I've seen a lot of USU presence in places like Star Valley, Wyoming for example. :lol: But I don't blame those folks because USU is the closest FBC school


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12697
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 677 times
Contact:

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by ProvoAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:20 am

ViAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:18 am
rAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am
Just to be clear

Image
I think USU casts a wider net than that, I've seen a lot of USU presence in places like Star Valley, Wyoming for example. :lol: But I don't blame those folks because USU is the closest FBC school
One of the Wyoming fans claimed that we had 500,000 people living within 45 minutes of the stadium which is most likely what rAggie was trying to refute. They say that with that many people we should be able to fill the stadium. The reality though is that we don't have anywhere close to that many people.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
ViAggie



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 794
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

The key is and always will be drawing alums from Weber, Davis and Salt Lake County to Logan for game day.
If as a school we can do that in any meaningful way, we are primed for success.
Cache Valley is growing and becoming more wealthy, so that helps, but the Valley has never been very USU Football centric.

The school and the community needs to get more creative.
Not a single hotel in Logan offers a game day discount or anything of that sort. It's kind of crazy to me.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2335
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by newhouse9 » November 18th, 2019, 11:42 am

Sadly, we SHOULD be filling the stadium, regardless of weather or opponent. It's a 25,000 seat facility. It's nuts to me that there are not 25,000 people willing to watch college football in such a beautiful setting. I'll never understand it.



mike1126
Posts: 81
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by mike1126 » November 18th, 2019, 11:49 am

I come up from weber county, and when I hit logan you would never know it was a gameday. Wheres the community support with flags etc.



User avatar
aggieguy13
Posts: 923
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by aggieguy13 » November 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I suspect that had Wyoming pulled out the win that the campus would have looked a little nicer, the stadium a little more full, the town a little livelier. Instead, as has been the case six of the last eight matchups between the schools, it was just another loss to a team with no fans on an ugly campus in a rinky dink town. You hate to see it. They do travel well though, so credit to them for that.

This also seems like a good place to point out that their basketball team's current NET ranking is 323. 323. Talk about rinky dink...



Locked Previous topicNext topic