I don’t get it

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

I don’t get it

Post by ineptimusprime » November 23rd, 2019, 10:14 pm

Not trying to be negative, but trying to understand.

How in the hell can a team that is 5-1 against the better part of the Mountain West get completely undressed like this (and like we did against BYU and Air Force)?

We are better than this, and we’ve shown it against some average/good (not great) teams (SDSU, Wyoming, Nevada, Fresno). Losing is one thing, but losing in the embarrassing ways we’ve lost to AFA, BYU, and now Boise is quite another.

I expected to be 6-6 or 7-5 this season, (and losses to AFA, BYU, and Boise would not have surprised me) but I did not expect to not even be competitive in these games.

Please, help me make sense of this.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on November 23rd, 2019, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
vegasaggie

NVAggie

Re: I don’t get it

Post by NVAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 10:16 pm

No sense to be made. We look unmotivated for a game that matters. Just boggles the mind. I’m going on concussion protocols right now.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » November 24th, 2019, 12:26 am

Two years in a row, we come into the Boise game with everything on the line and it should be the game we’ve prepared for the hardest.

Both times we completely crap the bed.

Frustrating because I thought we’d progressed beyond this as a program. Pathetic and sad.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 24th, 2019, 12:40 am

It's not that hard to understand. We aren't the very good team. We lack talent in a lot of places especially on the defensive side of the ball. Adding to it that we had some key injuries to a few players that are skilled and this is what your left with.

I think we are fortunate to be above .500 with the skill level and depth that we have.

We have 53 new players in the program this year. Even with my blue goggles I knew It was going to be a rough year when I heard that.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 2):
NVAggiekofdog

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 24th, 2019, 1:08 am

I think not having talent might be an explanation for losing, but the absolute drubbing goes beyond that. This is the same Boise team that went to overtime at home with Wyoming. Boise is no LSU. Neither was BYU.

There were honestly times tonight when it just looked like poor effort. I saw guys who could have been in the play just jogging. Our tackling is atrocious.

This season has been hard for me to watch. 80% of our losses have been just absolute (I can't express myself without swearing) kickings that for some inexplicable reason, we can't dig down and have pride to even compete.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 24th, 2019, 1:16 am

Banged up defense, Boise has an offense who can actually exploit our holes/weaknesses on D. Outside of Fresno, the other 3 teams weren't able to exploit our defense like Boise/BYU did, and thus we were able to keep them in check and win the game.

We did this to plenty of teams last year, teams who otherwise were decent (BYU, AFA, Hawaii, UNT) just got boat raced because we had an offense that just couldn't be contained for the most part (Boise were the only ones, WYO too but the weather was a factor).

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 24th, 2019, 5:51 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:16 am
Banged up defense, Boise has an offense who can actually exploit our holes/weaknesses on D. Outside of Fresno, the other 3 teams weren't able to exploit our defense like Boise/BYU did, and thus we were able to keep them in check and win the game.

We did this to plenty of teams last year, teams who otherwise were decent (BYU, AFA, Hawaii, UNT) just got boat raced because we had an offense that just couldn't be contained for the most part (Boise were the only ones, WYO too but the weather was a factor).
I'm hoping that is it. We aren't that bad, but there are weaknesses, and if they can be exploited, they can be exploited all game long, which makes for a long game. And if you try to make up for those weaknesses by scheming differently and taking resources from other areas, it adds weaknesses. I don't know if that is what is going on, but I'm hoping that is all it is, and we can get it fixed for next year.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 24th, 2019, 7:25 am

I think despite injuries and the amount of new faces on the team this year, we had enough talent to compete much better with Boise, BYU, and AF. I see inconsistent effort and undisciplined play across the field from offensive and defensive players. There’s a great disconnect on this team with leadership. Not saying the problem is all with the leaders cause many times the followers share the blame, but it’s obvious this team has struggled playing for one another like last year’s group did. The players have had multiple “players only” meetings, which is never a good sign, and usually just a temporary bandaid.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 24th, 2019, 8:04 am

Our redzone offensive efficiency is last in the nation.

We lead the nation in interceptions.

We can't tackle in the open field.

The offensive line is atrocious.

We have no rushing game to speak of.

It is a miracle we have 6 wins.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2019, 8:12 am

I can handle losing. I can’t handle losing like this. For those that thinks it’s talent, how them did we beat Wyoming? Those guys deserved to win at Boise. We physically played with them and beat them last week only to get humiliated by Boise this week? I’ve watched a lot of Boise this year and they are far from a dominant team. There was no reason to get demolished last night. None.

The only reason the score wasn’t 100+ was because they took mercy on us and tried to develop their passing game. Blowout happen. They do. But 4 times in one season? Twice on your home field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
AgMacvegasaggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 24th, 2019, 8:20 am

It is typically a bad idea to look at a previous game and opponent and apply it to your current game and opponent. Wyoming played against a different quarterback.

Boise came in ready to take the division championship. We weren’t ready. We are an okay team. I can accept that considering all the change in the program.

I do agree that something seems off though.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 24th, 2019, 8:33 am

After some thought, my working theory is that it is almost entirely on the defense, and particularly, defensive coaching. Our guys aren’t even doing basic things like tackling and contain well. Note that the only two good teams we’ve beaten are abysmal offensive teams (Wyoming and SDSU). The defensive side of the ball doesn’t have nearly the level of excuse as the offense, as we returned most of the starters from last year on that side of the ball.

Our offense is capable of putting enough points on the board to win if we are playing a team with an offense that stops itself (e.g. Wyoming and SDSU), but our defense can’t hang with any good team that’s even remotely competent on the offensive end. It’s Benny Hill music levels of bad when we’re trying to defend a competent offense.

I think we need to fire Ena and go back to having primarily a 3 man front. It’s clear Ena made some astronomically bad decisions in moving to a 4-2-5 and neutering Tipa by moving him to DE, but more importantly, the players aren’t doing basic things like tackling, which is a coaching/effort thing, not a talent thing.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 24th, 2019, 8:56 am

Patterson might be looking for a new job soon....

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2019, 8:56 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 8:56 am
Patterson might be looking for a new job soon....
Orlando might be as well. I'd love Orlando back.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

kofdog

Post by kofdog » November 24th, 2019, 9:43 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 12:40 am
It's not that hard to understand. We aren't the very good team. We lack talent in a lot of places especially on the defensive side of the ball. Adding to it that we had some key injuries to a few players that are skilled and this is what your left with.

I think we are fortunate to be above .500 with the skill level and depth that we have.

We have 53 new players in the program this year. Even with my blue goggles I knew It was going to be a rough year when I heard that.
Agreed! I really think we are bagging too hard on the coaches already. They had to do their thing and start over in many ways. If we get 7-5 we are exactly what everyone in the media thought we’d be. We came off a season that can’t happen every year. Man it would be awesome but it’s given us unrealistic expectations I fear.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2019, 9:48 am

kofdog wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:43 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Agreed! I really think we are bagging too hard on the coaches already. They had to do their thing and start over in many ways. If we get 7-5 we are exactly what everyone in the media thought we’d be. We came off a season that can’t happen every year. Man it would be awesome but it’s given us unrealistic expectations I fear.
The coaches will get time to do their thing. Doesn't mean getting blown out in our 3 biggest games is excusable and shouldn't warrant criticism. byu is not a good team this year. We have enough talent to not let them come onto our homefield and blow us off the field. What team other than New Mexico played worse against Boise State this year? You are telling me we should have been dominated by Air Force like that?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2019, 9:51 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 8:20 am
It is typically a bad idea to look at a previous game and opponent and apply it to your current game and opponent. Wyoming played against a different quarterback.

Boise came in ready to take the division championship. We weren’t ready. We are an okay team. I can accept that considering all the change in the program.

I do agree that something seems off though.
Doing one game comparisons are bad, but other than New Mexico, nobody looked worse against Boise State than we did and we were playing at home with a lot on the line. This isn't the Boise State team from a decade ago that blows out everybody week in and week out. Boise has struggled with teams all year. The coaches will get plenty of time to put their mark on the program, but it doesn't make it excusable to have the team so fully out of it in our 3 biggest games.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 24th, 2019, 9:56 am

kofdog wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:43 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Finally some fans with some perspective !! Are there some things we could have or even should have done differently sure, but we're going to be 7-5 during a rebuilding yr. Why not start the rebuild during that time to set up the team for even greater success in the future. Its also great for showing recruits why we need them and how they'll fit into our system.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic