3 of Our Losses Were Against 10 Win Teams

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
frankiesaysrelax

3 of Our Losses Were Against 10 Win Teams

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 30th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I think everyone is a little disappointed with the way this season has gone, but I think we all had some high expectations that probably weren’t as realistic as they should have been. National media mostly said this was the way our season would go and I for one didn’t believe them. I thought we’d show some people up this season but we got beat by teams that were just better than us, other than wake forest. Who turned out to be similar to us in records also. BYU has been playing good football since that Boise state game. That’s probably the best Air Force team I can remember, Boise is just Boise and LSU could end up as National champs. At least now I’m disappointed with our team for not being the best in conference and not the best of the bottom ten (which would really mean you are the worst).
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
ProvoAggie

fivejazzfans

Re: 3 of Our Losses Were Against 10 Win Teams

Post by fivejazzfans » November 30th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I don't think most fans are disappointed with a 7-5 season. Its that in 4 of those losses the team completely didn't show up and were blown out. LSU - excepted, the teams we lost to weren't exactly torching the other teams we beat. As I write this, BYU is up 3-0 over SDSU near halftime. BSU squeaks by WYO and CSU, etc....

The tough-minded Gary teams of his first stay in Logan were not here this season. Those teams would compete against everyone - any time / anywhere. That being said, the tough-minded Gary was not here this season.

Gary v2 has been to the peak of college football (Wisconsin) and has made his money. I am afraid his drive that he had the first time around is gone and has been exchanged with a person who wants to be a mentor / life-coach to the players rather than their football coach.
These users thanked the author fivejazzfans for the post:
aggies22

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm

fivejazzfans wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 8:34 pm
I don't think most fans are disappointed with a 7-5 season. Its that in 4 of those losses the team completely didn't show up and were blown out. LSU - excepted, the teams we lost to weren't exactly torching the other teams we beat. As I write this, BYU is up 3-0 over SDSU near halftime. BSU squeaks by WYO and CSU, etc....

The tough-minded Gary teams of his first stay in Logan were not here this season. Those teams would compete against everyone - any time / anywhere. That being said, the tough-minded Gary was not here this season.

Gary v2 has been to the peak of college football (Wisconsin) and has made his money. I am afraid his drive that he had the first time around is gone and has been exchanged with a person who wants to be a mentor / life-coach to the players rather than their football coach.
7-8 win season, no problem. 3 blowout losses (BYU and Boise st at home in particular). Big big problem.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 30th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm
fivejazzfans wrote:

7-8 win season, no problem. 3 blowout losses (BYU and Boise st at home in particular). Big big problem.
And we used to get those blowouts with 3-9 seasons.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2019, 9:13 am

Soft. That is how I describe this year's team. They generally beat who they are supposed to beat, but get the doors blown off by others. Not really disappointed with the record, but I just didn't like what I was seeing a lot of the time.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
sneed

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 1st, 2019, 9:31 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:Soft. That is how I describe this year's team. They generally beat who they are supposed to beat, but get the doors blown off by others. Not really disappointed with the record, but I just didn't like what I was seeing a lot of the time.
Well said.

7-5 should feel so much better and even though this one feels a little hollow I will never look down at a winning season and a bowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 1st, 2019, 9:37 am

I’ll also add that one of our wins was against a 9-win team on the road, and two other wins were against 7 win teams. Not a terrible season by any stretch.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggiefrankiesaysrelaxBLUERUFiO

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 1st, 2019, 9:45 am

substitute memoirs with season and that's how i feel about things.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2019, 1:46 pm

fivejazzfans wrote:

Yep. It isn't the losses, it is how we lost. I don't care about the LSU game. How we played against Air Force, Boise State and byu were inexcusable. byu specifically is not a good team. Sorry they just aren't. They put up 3 points in a loss at San Diego State. Yet we get rocked by them at home with their backup QB. Boise State was good, but they weren't blowing people out all year. . . except when they came to Logan.

Happy for another winning season. We should never take that for granted, but disappointed the team came out flat and got embarrassed in their biggest games.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 1st, 2019, 3:53 pm

That terrible BYU team also gave Boise their only loss of the season. Football can be a quirky game. Sometimes everything works out. Sometimes you just can’t get it going. MWC teams have been very inconsistent this year. Our team was as well. I can be happy about 6-2 in conference. We had issues, but that is a decent record with the schedule we played.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggiefrankiesaysrelax

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm

I hated getting blown out by 3 teams. BUT, I understand it takes time to build a blue-collar culture and it takes a coach time to recruit the type of guys he wants. I’m willing to give Coach A time to build it the way he wants. I also believe our AD cares a whole lot about our football program and I trust him completely to help correct issues.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 3:53 pm
That terrible BYU team also gave Boise their only loss of the season. Football can be a quirky game. Sometimes everything works out. Sometimes you just can’t get it going. MWC teams have been very inconsistent this year. Our team was as well. I can be happy about 6-2 in conference. We had issues, but that is a decent record with the schedule we played.
I would add that a 6-2 Conference record year in and year out would be fantastic.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 1st, 2019, 5:35 pm

One more thing that I found interesting was this was the first year that somebody went undefeated in conference play. It is super difficult to run through the conference undefeated.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 1st, 2019, 5:38 pm

The fact that SDSU did what they did to BYU-P makes our game with them even more puzzling. That offense was prolific and fun to watch against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » December 1st, 2019, 5:53 pm

Now, if we'd only lost to San Diego State we would have lost to 4 teams with 10 wins. That would have made us better, right? We definitely played a tougher schedule this year compared to years past. While there's plenty of room for improvement I am excited for the future of this program

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 3:53 pm
I didn't say they were terrible. I said they aren't a good team which is true. They put up 3 points last night, yet put up 42 on us. The only other games all year they dominated an opponent were Idaho State and Umass. Sorry there isn't an excuse to lose to them the way we did.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
NavyBlue

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 1st, 2019, 8:54 pm

BYU also beat USC then lost to a bunch of subpar teams. They have been very inconsistent. They seemed to get up for tough games and play down to poor competition. I get that you don’t like to lose to BYU the way we did, but it happens sometimes. It isn’t a good reason to flush an entire season.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
JFW_AGGIES

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » December 1st, 2019, 9:35 pm

While I am generally OK with how we finished this year, there is one thing that makes the season a disappointment for me. A bit of history: As my user name suggests, I graduated from USU in 1972, after starting in '68. In those years we were, for reasons which deserve another thread which, therefor, I will not go into here, independent. A brother-in-law of mine observed during that time that the Aggies only had to win two games a year to have a good season. Utah and BYU. During my tenure and a few years thereafter, 68-75, we had only one losing season, 3-7 in '69, but even so, he was right. During those years we were quite competitive with the U of U, and BYU was almost a joke. Much has changed in the intervening decades, but for me, beating Utah (when they would play us) and BYU made for a good season. Hence, this year, despite all, has not been a good season. In that respect I'm in roughly the same frame of mind as a friend of mine who graduated from Stanford. She hates Cal, calls them "the weenies". Matters not how Stanford finishes. Win the conference? Go to the Rose Bowl? Whatever, a loss to the weenies spoils the season. It really grinds my gears to know that this year, not only did BYU beat us, they beat the likely MWC champion in Boise State. I hate that. Just hate it.
These users thanked the author 72AgGrad for the post:
NavyBlue

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2019, 9:47 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:54 pm
BYU also beat USC then lost to a bunch of subpar teams. They have been very inconsistent. They seemed to get up for tough games and play down to poor competition. I get that you don’t like to lose to BYU the way we did, but it happens sometimes. It isn’t a good reason to flush an entire season.
I'm not saying flush the season, I'm just saying that it is disappointing we didn't show up for our 3 biggest games and that is a bad mark on the season. Happy we had a winning season, but disappointed that we had our worst showing against byu in over a decade when there shouldn't be any type of gap. In 2006 we lost 38-0 to byu. There was a considerable talent gap as well as a program gap. They were 11-2 we were 1-11. This year there really isn't a gap. We are two 7-5 teams who were pretty equal outside of our games together where we got boatraced out of our own stadium.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
NavyBlue

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am

I've been thinking about this lately. Granted a 7-5 season and a 6-2 conference record for a new head coach is a pretty good place to start. And... Granted that we were absolutely embarrassing in 3 of those losses.

I think the thing that has me the most concerned? Annoyed? Is that we seemed to get worse as the season went along.

You'd think as a new coaching staff got a feel for the team that they would improve every week. But we made no improvements and looked worse as the season went along. I'm perplexed by that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 2nd, 2019, 9:11 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am
I've been thinking about this lately. Granted a 7-5 season and a 6-2 conference record for a new head coach is a pretty good place to start. And... Granted that we were absolutely embarrassing in 3 of those losses.

I think the thing that has me the most concerned? Annoyed? Is that we seemed to get worse as the season went along.

You'd think as a new coaching staff got a feel for the team that they would improve every week. But we made no improvements and looked worse as the season went along. I'm perplexed by that.

Its amazing to me that people continue to discount the injuries we've had this yr. Losses to our young Oline and Woody have had a big impact on the team this yr.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 2nd, 2019, 9:16 am

In 2014 we went 10-4. We lost to CSU, Arkansas State and we were rolled by Boise State and Tennessee. Tennessee in 2014 was not as good as LSU this year.

In 2015 we were rolled by BYU (at home), SDSU, and Washington. We barely escaped SUU. We lost to Utah, UNM, & AFA.

Although this year wasn't as good as we hoped, pretending like we've never been blown out under Wells is not true

We need to get better. But it's overstated to pretend that we are so much worse. Don't compare Wells' best year to a sample size of one that could end up being a mediocre year for Gary.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 2nd, 2019, 9:27 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am

I think the way we bounced back in both the Fresno and Wyoming games was a good sign. I’m sure some teams out there would have cashed it in after some of those losses but at least we came out and played tough those games. I also would contribute some of the decline on losing an all American line backer who recorded over 120 tackles last year and our offense never looked the same once Koch went down. As soon as I saw Woodward was out against BYU I knew we were doomed. I just dint think we are as talented as everybody thinks we are and we got exposed against the better teams. We do have talent but no depth. That makes a big difference as the season goes on. This BYU team really wanted the game this year and they have the talent to beat lots of teams. You could see the excitement on their sideline against us and I’m sure they didn’t want to lose three years in a row to us.

Locked Previous topicNext topic