Boise state and their coach

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Boise state and their coach

Post by Notatrueaggie » December 1st, 2019, 9:50 pm

Ok we all know the Boise state broncos. I hate them almost as much as I hate Utah and byu. They consistently get 9-11 win seasons. As Harsin has a record 63-16 currently, I wonder what his contract has left and if he will leave after this year? He has already won a fiesta bowl and has a couple mwc under his belt. I think harsin is a great coach and wonder if he will leave Boise state for another p5 school. Anybody have thoughts of where he could potentially go to and how it would affect our recruiting relationship with Boise state?

USUstudent13

Re: Boise state and their coach

Post by USUstudent13 » December 1st, 2019, 10:22 pm

I’ve wondered how they have been able to keep him. I can’t believe Matt Wells was given a chance at a P5 coaching job before him. It makes me wonder if he just likes being a head coach up there and doesn’t feel the need to leave.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2019, 10:25 pm

Well he makes about 1.5 million.
With that said I think he’ll take the Misery job.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2019, 10:26 pm

USUstudent13 wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 10:22 pm
I’ve wondered how they have been able to keep him. I can’t believe Matt Wells was given a chance at a P5 coaching job before him. It makes me wonder if he just likes being a head coach up there and doesn’t feel the need to leave.
I'm sure he could have left by now if he wanted.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2019, 10:41 pm

He has a five year or so rolling contract which triggers at 8? wins and bonuses for beating BYU, bowl game, conference, and a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » December 2nd, 2019, 12:32 am

A freind of my who is a big Arkansas donor says Jerry Jones (yes that Jerry) is ready to lay out the money. I don't think Harsin has what they want but if he did the rumored pay is higher than any current pay in NCAA and I highly doubt Harsin wouldn't take off for that kind of pay check. They already have passed on Les Miles and are trying to get Urban so Harsin probably isn't what they are looking for. In any case with Harsin's Arkansas ties, it must still be a slight possiblity.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 2nd, 2019, 6:43 am

The same reasons Boise made for a great trucker university also apply to it’s football success.

1- no instate competition from other universities
2- fan base travels well
3- major airport and nightlife for recruiting (there are some good long haulers in Texas)
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AndroidAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 2nd, 2019, 1:28 pm

Well, Chris Petersen just stepped down at Washington so maybe he'll head back to BSU to make our life miserable for the next decade or so if Harsin were to move on.

I know there are quite a few Donk fans that wouldn't shed a tear if Harsin left. They believe their program has taken a step back under his watch. A matter of perspective I guess.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 2nd, 2019, 1:43 pm

USUstudent13 wrote:
He is making $1,750,000 this year with a bonus so far of $195,000 and another $50k if he wins the mw. and depending on his bowl game around another $75k Which will put him in the 2.1-2.2 mil range.

Kevin Summlin at Arizona is makeing 1.6 this year. (pac 12)
Barry Odom Mizzu 3.05 m ( SEC)
Tom Allen - Indian 1.8 M (Big 10)
Chris Klieman KState 2.3 - 2.8 M ( Big 12 )
Dave Clawson - wake 2.2 (ACC)

Then you have other factors like taxes.. Justin Wilcox ( Cal ) made about 3 million this year. Is 3 million in they bay area worth more than 2.2 in Boise ?

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 2nd, 2019, 2:56 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 10:26 pm
USUstudent13 wrote:
I'm sure he could have left by now if he wanted.
Exactly. Harsin's name has been on the short-list for several open P5 jobs in the last few years.

Harsin played for Boise and is an alumnus. He also probably has another deep-rooted emotional attachment as he was Boise's Offesnive Coordinator for years under Petersen and was the man responsible for calling those amazing trick plays that won BSU some Fiesta Bowls and put them on the map. You can thank Harsin for those incredible Hook & Ladder / Statue of Liberty plays.

It would probably take one steeeeep offer to get him to consider another program.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 2nd, 2019, 3:12 pm

Boise State has done very well keeping the train rolling amidst new head football coach hires. From Koetter to Hawkins to Peterson to Harsin, they have maintained a high level of success and built a national brand. One has to wonder how quickly that could crumble with the wrong hire. Is there enough institutional momentum to keep this thing going through a bad hire or two? When I was younger, it seemed like it was a given that Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas, and Penn State would be in the top ten in college football every year. Now you might see one or two of those teams every other year. Nothing is permanent.

I could understand why Harsin is in no hurry to leave. He is making good money, he doesn't have the pressure of a P-5 school to make a national title run, he has great momentum in the program that has been built for 20-plus years, he has full alumni support. He also knows what happens to coaches that can't turn a mediocre program around in 3 years - they get put on the hot seat and then they get fired.

Harsin is in his 6th year at Boise, making him one of their longest tenured coaches in program history. Peterson and Tony Knap lasted 8 years in Boise. That coaching position in Boise has always been a stepping stone, but the program has survived. Maybe Harsin wants to make it a longer-term spot and eliminate the stress of moving to another program and starting over? It will be interesting to see - especially now that Peterson is stepping down in Washington.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 2nd, 2019, 4:26 pm

A Zoob is a Zoob, be he Tater or no.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 2nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

History doesn't glowingly read for Head Coaches who leave Boise. Seems obvious to me there is very, very well oiled machine in Boise and the system continues after the coach and his staff depart, So many coaches with glowing records have left transmission tech for a higher profile gig, and more money, but I'm at a loss to think of a former BS you Head Coach that has sustained well in the so called "BIG TIME" arena.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic