Frisco bowl it is!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Frisco bowl it is!

Post by ProvoAggie » December 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Aggies open as an 8.5 point favorite.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyaggies22sneed

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 8th, 2019, 5:24 pm

It’s after signing day, right? Shouldn’t major visits have already happened the week before for people we plan to sign on the 18th?

Even if it is a recruiting headache, I am much happier avoiding a conflict with our most important remaining home basketball game of the season than I am worried about some inconvenience to football recruiting...

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 8th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Certainly better than Boise
Enjoy this one, it might be the last for awhile.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 8th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Love the positivity!

The OL will get better, we’ll recruit some difference makers, and will win 6-9 games again next year.

I’ll feel better about that prediction if Ena moves on or switches back to the 3-4.

Cows-n-aggies
Has thanked: 0

Frisco bowl it is!

Post by Cows-n-aggies » December 8th, 2019, 6:18 pm

I love it. New bowl and in a recruiting hot bed. Well deserved fellas, after a tough year. Winnable game. 8-5 sounds good -all things considered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cows-n-aggies on December 8th, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 8th, 2019, 6:21 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 3:31 pm
This whole thread is silly! I am proud of the season given all of the transition and injuries. I am grateful that the team is bowling and I am especially grateful that I will be able to spend time with Jordan for Christmas!
We had 2 money games this year, the payout is what it is. Bowl week for the team is fun and I BELIEVE they earned this.
Some of you guys have to do better, starting to sound like Boogerboard! Such a shame!
I couldn’t agree more.
Some of the people here need to turn their attitudes around.

I’ll be there to send the Seniors and potentially Woodward and Love off properly.
I’ll be there because I went 14 years without getting to see them in a bowl game.
I’ll be there because it’s a great opportunity to surprise and bond with my son.
I’ll be there proudly because I’m an Aggie.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 6):
ProvoAggieAggieHokieDawgcdaAgtinplatervegasaggieoleblu111

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 8th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I’m convinced we’d have people complain if we got a Rose Bowl invite.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkJFW_AGGIESTheAKAggieusufan1bluegrouse

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 8th, 2019, 7:20 pm

There is no doubt about it! I actually read in the basketball form that people where upset that we went to OT vs a lowly FSU team. And yes is was the same old group of about 5 posters who where the Debbie downers!
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
bluegrouse

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:There is no doubt about it! I actually read in the basketball form that people where upset that we went to OT vs a lowly FSU team. And yes is was the same old group of about 5 posters who where the Debbie downers!
FYI, lowest part of section A is chat come to life. Never sitting down there again.

Hail Aggies!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 8th, 2019, 8:02 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:There is no doubt about it! I actually read in the basketball form that people where upset that we went to OT vs a lowly FSU team. And yes is was the same old group of about 5 posters who where the Debbie downers!
FYI, lowest part of section A is chat come to life. Never sitting down there again.

The lower part of section B is where it's at. I saw some "Aggie fan" in like row 3 of Section A last night decked out in Fresno State colors.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 8th, 2019, 8:21 pm

ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm
ViAggie wrote:Can’t we ever get a P5 opponent?

Or at least an AAC team.

IKR? They don’t want to play mnt west teams
American and Mountain need to get over their pride and start playing eachother to raise both their profiles. There should be multiple bowls with eachother instead of lower conferences like Mac/Sunbelt/Cusa. And they should be doing an MWC/AAC shootout in basketball every year. This year could have been top 10 Memphis vs top 15 USU, etc.
These users thanked the author UtahStizzle for the post (total 2):
donlarson8vegasaggie

Twitter: UtahStizzle

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 8th, 2019, 8:28 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Wait you are guys are saying we deserve a .500 team from the MAC? I don’t agree with that. We were better than that.

I’m bummed about the bowl as I could have attended the armed forces game.
We absolutely deserved a 6-6 MAC team. Also, I'm thrilled it's a 6-6 MAC team, because I think we can actually beat said 6 win MAC team and bring home a trophy.

It's also a bowl game we haven't played in before in a warm location. That's great too.

I also think we may have chosen this game over the Armed Forces since it will line up with the basketball game against So. Florida and won't conflict with the big home game against SDSU in basketball.
150k less payout though I doubt they'd pass that up. But I like earlier bowls, once the holidays are over and CFP begins no one cares about the rest

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

As long as the team is happy then i'm happy. Just happy to go to a bowl.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
NVAggie

FriendofMerlin

Post by FriendofMerlin » December 8th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 6:50 pm
I’m convinced we’d have people complain if we got a Rose Bowl invite.
I thought after Georgia and Utah lost, we were a shoo-in for sure!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 8th, 2019, 9:02 pm

A bowl is a bowl. It wasn't long ago that bowl games were uncommon around here. I'll take it. Honestly, who really cares who we play? It is a glorified exhibition game anyway. And we aren't very good and had a mediocre, disappointing season. We haven't really been competitive against some of the better teams we have faced all year. We would get wrecked by Washington or most other potential P5 matchups.

So I'd say we are pretty lucky to be bowling, and we aren't really in a position to look down on Kent State.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonstervegasaggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 8th, 2019, 9:08 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm

The lower part of section B is where it's at. I saw some "Aggie fan" in like row 3 of Section A last night decked out in Fresno State colors.

Hail Aggies!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 9th, 2019, 7:27 am

For anyone who is curious how Texas ended up with a city named "Frisco":

"When the Dallas area was being settled by American pioneers, many of the settlers traveled by wagon trains along the Shawnee Trail. This trail became the Preston Trail, and later, Preston Road. With all of this activity, the community of Lebanon was founded along this trail, and was granted a U.S. post office in 1860. In 1902, a line of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway was being built through the area, and periodic watering stops were needed along the route for the steam locomotives. The current settlement of Lebanon was on the Preston Ridge and was therefore too high in elevation, so the watering stop was placed about four miles (6 km) to the west on lower ground. A community grew around this train stop. Some residents of Lebanon actually moved their houses to the new community on logs. The new town was originally named Emerson, but the U.S. Postal Service rejected the name as being too similar to another town in Texas. In 1904, the town's residents chose "Frisco City" in honor of the St. Louis–San Francisco Railway. This name was later shortened to Frisco.

Later, in 1978, the first season of the hit show Dallas was filmed at Frisco's Cloyce Box Ranch (now the Brinkmann Ranch), where the house on site was used as the Ewing family home. This house burned down during renovations in 1987, and the steel skeleton of the house still stands on today's Brinkmann Ranch, now the largest family owned estate in Frisco.

The distinctive Frisco coat of arms is based on the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway's logo."

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 9th, 2019, 8:59 am

Until there's actually valid fan base for USU, you wont see high level match ups unless we force ourselves into the conversation. Butts in seats and care factor matter. I know people here do, but it's a very small number in comparison to those around the country.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
NVAggieoleblu111sneed

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » December 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Really? Some of you must have forgotten how far we have come in the past 10 years. Sure, there are some things that need to be figured out in the off season, but complaining after a potential 8 win season is a bit harsh. USU is still a force in the mountain west. Give Sanford a chance to implement “his” offense. Let the young offensive line put some weight and muscle on. We lost a lot of talent this year due to graduation and injury. While it has been painful this season, it will actually make next season better with all the experience the younger players got this year. Let Ena rethink his defensive strategy. If we don’t make a bowl game next year I’ll start to panic, but right now 8 wins is about where I thought we would be.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 9th, 2019, 9:31 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:59 am
Until there's actually valid fan base for USU, you wont see high level match ups unless we force ourselves into the conversation. Butts in seats and care factor matter. I know people here do, but it's a very small number in comparison to those around the country.
This is the reality we all have to face. I watch a lot of the championship games this weekend. It was crazy to see all of the women that were heavily invested in the game with their husbands. I think everyone here needs to figure out what they can do in their small circles to get others excited for Aggie sports. Buying extra tickets, sending out invitations, etc. The grassroots efforts are just as important as the big donor efforts or the AD efforts.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 9th, 2019, 10:26 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 9:31 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
This is the reality we all have to face. I watch a lot of the championship games this weekend. It was crazy to see all of the women that were heavily invested in the game with their husbands. I think everyone here needs to figure out what they can do in their small circles to get others excited for Aggie sports. Buying extra tickets, sending out invitations, etc. The grassroots efforts are just as important as the big donor efforts or the AD efforts.
Great post. What it comes down to if people want a successful program people have to invest in the program. Bowl game ticket sales are extremely important. I know that the destination is a long ways away from our core base and the turnaround for the bowl is short, but we have to sell tickets. If you cannot make the bowl game you can still support the team by purchasing tickets through the USU site. They will then give them away to a local people in the Frisco community. If you can make the game then great it will be wonderful. If everyone would just buy one extra ticket it will affect future bowls looking at USU as a primary option versus a mandatory secondary option.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 9th, 2019, 10:27 am

I'm not sure why anyone is unhappy about this bowl game. It is a game we can win, in warm weather, before Christmas. Honestly, to most college football fans, outside of the NY6 bowls, there isn't really a difference in one lower bowl versus another.

I hope we can show some good stuff to make us excited for next year!
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Full

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 9th, 2019, 10:31 am

AgMac wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 10:27 am
I'm not sure why anyone is unhappy about this bowl game. It is a game we can win, in warm weather, before Christmas. Honestly, to most college football fans, outside of the NY6 bowls, there isn't really a difference in one lower bowl versus another.

I hope we can show some good stuff to make us excited for next year!
I completely agree, I am super excited to go the game. These are trips I take my kids on and we always take my dad and 1 niece or nephew with us. Great memories from going on these bowl trips. I also have never been to this area so it will be nice to see something new. I am excited to have some good Texas BBQ.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 9th, 2019, 10:52 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 10:26 am
NVAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Great post. What it comes down to if people want a successful program people have to invest in the program. Bowl game ticket sales are extremely important. I know that the destination is a long ways away from our core base and the turnaround for the bowl is short, but we have to sell tickets. If you cannot make the bowl game you can still support the team by purchasing tickets through the USU site. They will then give them away to a local people in the Frisco community. If you can make the game then great it will be wonderful. If everyone would just buy one extra ticket it will affect future bowls looking at USU as a primary option versus a mandatory secondary option.
That is as good a post as I have ever read on this forum. It is up to us to make USU all it can be Selling out our ticket allotment in a 20,000 seat stadium would be a great thing to see/.. We have the administration, coaching staff and right conference membership, lets go.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Is this really set up for this year? We did this for a bowl game a few years ago. .

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 9th, 2019, 12:11 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:43 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Is this really set up for this year? We did this for a bowl game a few years ago. .
I have not purchased my tickets yet so am not 100% positive. They usually do this every year. There is usually an option to purchase a ticket that they in turn give to some charity in the local area. Even if they do not do this purchasing tickets from the USU allotment only helps build the Aggie brand.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 9th, 2019, 12:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Very true with needing more fan support. We have fans that look for reasons not to support the program instead of look for ways to do so. However the reality is the MW just doesn't have good bowl tie ins to play P5 opponents. Other than the Vegas Bowl which plays what is usually a 6-6 or 7-5 Pac 12 team you are gonna get a Mac or Sun Belt team.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 9th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 9:02 pm
A bowl is a bowl. It wasn't long ago that bowl games were uncommon around here. I'll take it. Honestly, who really cares who we play? It is a glorified exhibition game anyway. And we aren't very good and had a mediocre, disappointing season. We haven't really been competitive against some of the better teams we have faced all year. We would get wrecked by Washington or most other potential P5 matchups.

So I'd say we are pretty lucky to be bowling, and we aren't really in a position to look down on Kent State.
I agree it is great we are now a regular going to bowls. I remember 2011 thinking how amazing it was that we were going to any bowl. Just the fact that we had a winning season and made a bowl regardless of it being the Potato Bowl was amazing. I went and was excited to go.

But I would disagree that "a bowl is just a bowl." And "who cares who we play?" I certainly care and most fans care. Obviously playing in a higher paying bowl in a good destination against a higher profile opponent would be more exciting than playing a 6-6 Mac team in the Frisco Bowl. Excited for the team to keep playing. An 8 win season is always a great accomplishment, but there are certainly bowl games that would excite the fanbase more than this one.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 9th, 2019, 12:52 pm

We're going bowling!!!!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 9th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I agree it is great we are now a regular going to bowls. I remember 2011 thinking how amazing it was that we were going to any bowl. Just the fact that we had a winning season and made a bowl regardless of it being the Potato Bowl was amazing. I went and was excited to go.

But I would disagree that "a bowl is just a bowl." And "who cares who we play?" I certainly care and most fans care. Obviously playing in a higher paying bowl in a good destination against a higher profile opponent would be more exciting than playing a 6-6 Mac team in the Frisco Bowl. Excited for the team to keep playing. An 8 win season is always a great accomplishment, but there are certainly bowl games that would excite the fanbase more than this one.
Completely agree with your post not all bowls are created equal. Everyone's situation is different about which bowl game is something they can attend or be excited about. For me the potato bowl while close is just not desirable to go sit in 25 degrees weather, I would surely go, but I am way more excited about the location in the Dallas area. I am sure the team is excited about going to a new location. Like I said in a previous post if people can't make the bowl game they can still support the team by purchasing tickets the USU website. Bowls look at tickets sold. To be able to get considered for higher profile bowl games against P5 teams the team is going to have to excel on the field or have an average year, but the bowl know that the team will travel well. So even if people can't make it to the bowl they can certainly help build the program by purchasing a few tickets for the bowl game out of USU's allotment.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Completely agree with your post not all bowls are created equal. Everyone's situation is different about which bowl game is something they can attend or be excited about. For me the potato bowl while close is just not desirable to go sit in 25 degrees weather, I would surely go, but I am way more excited about the location in the Dallas area. I am sure the team is excited about going to a new location. Like I said in a previous post if people can't make the bowl game they can still support the team by purchasing tickets the USU website. Bowls look at tickets sold. To be able to get considered for higher profile bowl games against P5 teams the team is going to have to excel on the field or have an average year, but the bowl know that the team will travel well. So even if people can't make it to the bowl they can certainly help build the program by purchasing a few tickets for the bowl game out of USU's allotment.
Glad you are going. I'd go too, but I'm going to be in Florida for the basketball game that weekend. I do like the date and location. We have done the Boise/New Mexico thing. This is probably our most attractive bowl destination we have had other than San Diego and that was the day after Christmas making it harder to get there.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm
ViAggie wrote:Can’t we ever get a P5 opponent?

Or at least an AAC team.

A P5 team would be interesting against the right AGGIE team, but a P5 powerhouse would most likely embarrass our current Utah State much like LSU, Air Force, BYU and Boise have already done. Give Gary another year or so to get the ship righted.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Just bought a tropical smoothie today and got a pleasant surprise. Too bad they don’t say who plays in it and have logos but good marketing!

These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 17th, 2019, 1:02 pm

PrimeTime and my favorite person
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 6):
USU78Aggie19MachismoOKAggieBadElbowusufan1

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 17th, 2019, 1:05 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:02 pm
PrimeTime and my favorite person
What an awesome experience for your son. From the twitter feeds it looks like the Frisco Bowl is treating the teams really well. Can't wait to get in the minivan rental tomorrow morning and make our way down to the game. Pretty much been worthless at work today.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
taniataylorAggie_in_Idaho

Locked Previous topicNext topic