Love to NFL draft - speculation over

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Love to NFL draft - speculation over

Post by sam tingey » December 10th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks JLove for an amazing season last year, and for some awesome throws this year. Glad he is an Aggie! Hope he gets the best shot at the NFL possible and gets to fulfill his dreams

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Love the kid. Great player. Even greater human being. Wish him all the success in the world!
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseNavyBlue

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:29 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:22 pm
ususports wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:10 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm
LKGates wrote:Best of luck.
We'll be in great hands with Colombi, Peasley, and Calvin.
This gets repeated very often by Aggie fans as if it’s the gospel truth. The reality is we have no idea what kind of hands we are in next year.
I wish fans would say how bad we are going to suck next year, and that all three quarterbacks are horrible. That’s what real fans should do.
There is a difference between being negative and pragmatic. He didn't say they were horrible, just unknown.

When Love went out against Wyoming, they didn't move the ball particularly well. That could be for a lot of reasons, but it will be tough to replace a NFL caliber QB. They have 9 months to figure it out, players graduate every year. Maybe they will improve with other guys filling the roles, but he isn't a player that can just be replaced.

I wish him well, the more successful alumni are in the pros, the better selling point it is to recruits. Selfishly another year would have been nice, but it is tough to turn down that type of money, particularly when he already has a degree.
Would the staff ever look to a grad transfer QB?
NO.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 10th, 2019, 9:57 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:
This gets repeated very often by Aggie fans as if it’s the gospel truth. The reality is we have no idea what kind of hands we are in next year.
I wish fans would say how bad we are going to suck next year, and that all three quarterbacks are horrible. That’s what real fans should do.
There is a difference between being negative and pragmatic. He didn't say they were horrible, just unknown.

When Love went out against Wyoming, they didn't move the ball particularly well. That could be for a lot of reasons, but it will be tough to replace a NFL caliber QB. They have 9 months to figure it out, players graduate every year. Maybe they will improve with other guys filling the roles, but he isn't a player that can just be replaced.

I wish him well, the more successful alumni are in the pros, the better selling point it is to recruits. Selfishly another year would have been nice, but it is tough to turn down that type of money, particularly when he already has a degree.
NO.
Colombi has earned this job.
I'm looking forward to the Colombi era beginning starting 12/21/19.
The kid is going to be gangbusters for us.
Mark my word.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
sneed

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

NO.
Colombi has earned this job.
I'm looking forward to the Colombi era beginning starting 12/21/19.
The kid is going to be gangbusters for us.
Mark my word.
100% agreed! You all will pleased with Henry Colombi.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 10th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Classy words by a classy individual. I think it says a lot about his love for Utah State that he's wanting to play in a meaningless bowl game, when most guys in his shoes would be preparing for their pro day or the combine.

Thank you Jordan for all you've meant for Aggie Nation!
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
bluegrousevegasaggie

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » December 10th, 2019, 11:49 pm

I love Jordan! Honestly he is the best QB in my time watching Aggie football. It’s frustrating we didn't have the right tools around him to even come close to the production he had last year but the man has all the right tools. Wishing him the very best in the NFL. I think he has turned into a sleeper pick that somebody is going to be very lucky to pick up soon!

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2019, 5:47 am

He can also withdraw ... like he did last season.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 11th, 2019, 7:14 am

Hope he just stays in. Would love it if he ended his college career at USU. I’ll root for him either way but it wouldn’t be the same if he graduated somewhere else.

I hope this is the real deal and not an easy way to get out of Utah state with people happy for now, just to transfer later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » December 11th, 2019, 7:23 am

I wish Jordan the best! He seems like a great guy, and I'm proud to call him an Aggie. I hope he tears it up in the league and wins a Superbowl ring.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 8:42 am

I think that the early announcement is beneficial in a few ways. First, it ends the speculation and the distraction that comes with the questions of "will he?" "won't he?" or "is he going to transfer?". Putting those questions to bed were very important in moving forward in preparation for the Frisco Bowl. Second, it gives the powers-that-be the opportunity to invite him to events such as the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine. This will give Jordan the opportunity to showcase his abilities in front of numerous NFL personnel people. Third, it gives Jordan one last hurrah in an Aggie uniform. It's no secret this season didn't go well statistically speaking but to have one last shot at tearing up an opposing defense and earn an 8th win in 2019 would be the perfect ending to what's really become a storybook career. Finally, it will give the Aggie coaching staff the opportunity to freely use the vacated scholarship in a recruiting cycle that is very low in numbers.
Last edited by aggies22 on December 11th, 2019, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 9):
Roy McAvoyAgMan21NavyBluesneedJSHarveybluegrouseMadmartiganvegasaggieAggie_in_Idaho

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 11th, 2019, 8:51 am

What I Loved (see what I did there) was the fact that his "note" was mostly about showing gratitude and he didn't get to declaring until the very end. I think that shows a lot of character that he wants his friends and family to know how much they meant to his development. He's a good man.

Also, I don't think anyone here has said we wont miss Love. I will, for everything he did for the university and Logan.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 6):
BustaMcNuttBadElbowJSHarveybluegrousevegasaggieAggie_in_Idaho

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 11th, 2019, 8:55 am

Thank you Mr. Love!

Hoping you have great success in the NFL.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 9:03 am

Remember how many of you were pissed that we signed a QB with NO OFFERS? 25 or so wins later and a budding NFL career on the way, it doesn't seem so terrible a signing after all does it?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Sl7vkBustaMcNuttMadmartiganAggie_in_Idaho

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 11th, 2019, 9:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 9:03 am
Remember how many of you were pissed that we signed a QB with NO OFFERS? 25 or so wins later and a budding NFL career on the way, it doesn't seem so terrible a signing after all does it?
Someone did their research on Jordan Love and anticipated he would mature physically and mentally. Outstanding call by whomever recruited young Mr. Love. All the best to Jordan Love. Live long and prosper Jordan, and thank you for being an AGGIE.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 11th, 2019, 11:40 am

Look forward to seeing Jordan play in the NFL. Best of luck, he'll do well.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 11th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Cowherd mentioned love and USU on his show today by comparing Love with Burrows and how they'll do at the next level. Kind of insulted USU a bit, but was complimentary of Love by saying how Love has a better shot to prosper in the NFL because he didn't go to a big time school surrounded by 4 and 5 star talent. We shall see. Wish him nothing but the best in the NFL. Remember the zip he put on his ball at the 2016 Spring game. Knew we had something special with him.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 11th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Aggies22 I was one of those naysayers and recall posting something to the effect JL was not DI material. It is always a thrill to be wrong makes for a great story going from obscure to a stellar career. I am still blown away by the process that happened at lightening speed. Any idea how that happened? It takes not only his extraordinary physical gifts but mentoring as well. Hard to believe his growth was solely the product of USUs coaching staff. Perhaps elite private QB coaches? He is as smooth as it comes in terms of pocket presence and mixing it up with rife and touch passes. The best QB I have seen play at USU since I started watching the Aggies in 1994.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 11th, 2019, 12:51 pm

FWIW, CBSSports just released their latest mock draft:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... edee-lamb/
JL to the Raiders with pick 14?! :shock: :rock:

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Aggies22 I was one of those naysayers and recall posting something to the effect JL was not DI material. It is always a thrill to be wrong makes for a great story going from obscure to a stellar career. I am still blown away by the process that happened at lightening speed. Any idea how that happened? It takes not only his extraordinary physical gifts but mentoring as well. Hard to believe his growth was solely the product of USUs coaching staff. Perhaps elite private QB coaches? He is as smooth as it comes in terms of pocket presence and mixing it up with rife and touch passes. The best QB I have seen play at USU since I started watching the Aggies in 1994.
No elite private tutoring. Much of this had to do with his god-given talent and him having the drive to work hard and the willingness to accept and listen to coaching.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
I too was a naysayer. In fact I may have been leading the anti-Love parade when he was recruited. I had watched several of his HS games during his SR year and I did not see one thing that would lead me to believe he would be the QB he became at USU. I openly wondered why USU kept their offer active when everyone else walked away after seeing him as HS SR. I think the biggest difference maker for Jordan was the physical changes that occurred to him during his time at USU. He was a scrawny thing in HS and not really all that tall (at least not NFL-type height). He then grew a couple of inches and put on a ton of good weight and all of a sudden he was getting a lot out that easy throwing motion of his. The other game changer for him was Yost's offense lining up with a year where we had a decent OL and skill position players around him. I hope he continues to grow and get better and has a long career - he certainly deserves the best!
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttaggies22

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl

Post by Floppy Hat » December 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
Hard to believe his growth was solely the product of USUs coaching staff. Perhaps elite private QB coaches?
We get it that you don't think too highly of Utah State's football coaches (both current and past), an idea that seems rooted in what you hear from your "friend" who was on the UMass coaching staff. But this take is disingenuous. Both Yost and Sanford have a history of coaching QBs who have had NFL success. But most of all, Jordan has worked his butt off to get to this point. He has had success because of the effort he has put in.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyaggies22newtonianblue

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Aggies22 - Thanks for the quick reply. What you say makes the JL story that more compelling and amazing. That I am sure is one of the reasons NFL teams are high on him. Contrast that with Brett Hundley the back up for Kyler Murray at AZ. I spoke with someone within their system (cant be more specific so as not to out them) - Hundley out of UCLA - and lament his poor mechanics and footwork and consider him borderline uncoachable - not a suitable backup for KM. Seems like whoever drafts JL is getting a gem in this regard. Folks I am talking to say Chicago is still high on him despite Mitch Trubisky's recent resurgence as is Carolina given the recent changes there and Cam Newton's likely exit. Things may have shifted for reasons I cant figure out because these same folks have JL graded 4th round as of last week - a step up from the 5th round I posted earlier this season...and with JL's announcement I cant help but think he knows he will be going higher than that.

I have to chuckle because in a different thread it was suggested that I over evaluate USU's talent...if I am guilty of anything it is underestimating our talent - JL being the best example. When he first came to Logan and watching him that first year I would have bet my home that he was not NFL caliber and arguably might never be a starter at USU. I actually thought Henry Colombi would bump him. Again, JL is an extraordinary story that has brought a spotlight to our program.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Floppy Hat - Read my past posts. I have been an unwavering fan of YOST - and consider himself to be one of the top tier QB coaches and OCs in college. In fact in a recent post I mentioned how great it would be if the Bears took JL because that puts two Yost mentored QBs on the same roster. You are correct about past coaches Kevin McGiven especially. However, it looks like I might have egg on my face for that given what he has done at SJSU this year. Its just that Jordan Love is so good and developed so quickly it seems to transcend even Yost's tried and true guru like abilities. No I am not impressed with Sanford but am open minded to know it has been only a year...and am positive in that I think - it is only my opinion and does not in any means diminish JL - that Henry Colombi is better suited to Sanford's offense when he finally fully implements next fall.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Floppy Hat - Read my past posts. I have been an unwavering fan of YOST - and consider himself to be one of the top tier QB coaches and OCs in college. In fact in a recent post I mentioned how great it would be if the Bears took JL because that puts two Yost mentored QBs on the same roster. You are correct about past coaches Kevin McGiven especially. However, it looks like I might have egg on my face for that given what he has done at SJSU this year. Its just that Jordan Love is so good and developed so quickly it seems to transcend even Yost's tried and true guru like abilities. No I am not impressed with Sanford but am open minded to know it has been only a year...and am positive in that I think - it is only my opinion and does not in any means diminish JL - that Henry Colombi is better suited to Sanford's offense when he finally fully implements next fall.
I 100% agree. The offensive issues were a collection of several things. First and foremost, Mike Sanford was humble and willing to step out of his comfort zone and attempt to coach an offensive system that he wasn't familiar with in order to tailor the offense to the talents of Jordan Love. They knew what they had in Jordan Love and tried to use his talent to win games. However, I think Mike Sanford was just too far out of his realm to effectively call the same style of game that was called during the 2019 season. Second, beyond fewer than a handful of receivers, the cupboard was bare talent-wise. Many of us saw this coming this season. I'm just glad I was wrong about Siaosi Mariner, he was awesome this season! Finally, we learned exactly what happens when you lose 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen and replace them with 3 redshirt freshmen. It didn't turn out well about half the time. The good news is, we have a ton of good young offensive linemen that by the time they are juniors and seniors are going to be all-league offensive linemen.

Henry Colombi has a much different skill set that Jordan Love. Henry will be a much bigger threat in the run game and therefore will be able to sell the read-option part of an RPO offense better than Jordan could. Teams knew Jordan wasn't going to take off 95%+ of the time and played the run game accordingly. Henry Colombi is more suited to run the full Mike Sanford offense and please don't take that as a knock on Jordan Love because a potential first-round NFL draft pick doesn't get there by sucking. Really, it's more a testament to everyone involved trying to make 2019 as successful a season as they could, in spite of things clearly not clicking on all cylinders for much of the season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Machismovegasaggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 12th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Just looking at some recent mock drafts I saw people still have Tua listed as the second QB off the board. Would you rather take Tua with a broken hip or Jordan Love? Herbert would probably go before Love if they don't want Tua, but even as the third QB who would you take between Tua and Love? A broken hip brought down the baddest man to ever play sports Bo Jackson and you never know if Tua will be the same player after that. It seems a little risky.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 13th, 2019, 6:20 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 3:09 pm
Just looking at some recent mock drafts I saw people still have Tua listed as the second QB off the board. Would you rather take Tua with a broken hip or Jordan Love? Herbert would probably go before Love if they don't want Tua, but even as the third QB who would you take between Tua and Love? A broken hip brought down the baddest man to ever play sports Bo Jackson and you never know if Tua will be the same player after that. It seems a little risky.
If you take Tua your taking one hell of a risk. There's a lot of speculation that it's Bo Jackson type injury. A hip injury is no joke for a football player, if I was an NFL team I'd pass on Tua.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 13th, 2019, 6:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm
Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
I 100% agree. The offensive issues were a collection of several things. First and foremost, Mike Sanford was humble and willing to step out of his comfort zone and attempt to coach an offensive system that he wasn't familiar with in order to tailor the offense to the talents of Jordan Love. They knew what they had in Jordan Love and tried to use his talent to win games. However, I think Mike Sanford was just too far out of his realm to effectively call the same style of game that was called during the 2019 season. Second, beyond fewer than a handful of receivers, the cupboard was bare talent-wise. Many of us saw this coming this season. I'm just glad I was wrong about Siaosi Mariner, he was awesome this season! Finally, we learned exactly what happens when you lose 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen and replace them with 3 redshirt freshmen. It didn't turn out well about half the time. The good news is, we have a ton of good young offensive linemen that by the time they are juniors and seniors are going to be all-league offensive linemen.

Henry Colombi has a much different skill set that Jordan Love. Henry will be a much bigger threat in the run game and therefore will be able to sell the read-option part of an RPO offense better than Jordan could. Teams knew Jordan wasn't going to take off 95%+ of the time and played the run game accordingly. Henry Colombi is more suited to run the full Mike Sanford offense and please don't take that as a knock on Jordan Love because a potential first-round NFL draft pick doesn't get there by sucking. Really, it's more a testament to everyone involved trying to make 2019 as successful a season as they could, in spite of things clearly not clicking on all cylinders for much of the season.
I guess I'm a bit confused over what Sanford's plans are. His background is the Boise's system with plenty of power and pro sets both gun and under center. I know he didn't want to mess the offense up but Love would theoretically have thrived in such sets.

So he's going to stick with the RPO that isn't that complicated with Colombi because that fits Colombi's skill set but that Sanford is too dumb too adjust and work with? Or is he going to implement a Boise offense that Colombi will probably be OK in but doesn't fit his RPO skills.

BTW, Love had zero issues with skills and athleticism in a true RPO. He wasn't the runner Colombi is but with his arm threat and underrated speed it was open all the time. I think it had to do with limiting Love's injury risk more than anything especially with an uproven O line. But the result was an offense that was beyond elementary.. Sanford dumbs things down to run pretty much an inside zone read (minus the read) with an undersized back and a patchwork rookie offensive line. No one is frozen by the RPO, teams concede the QB rush threat and handle the back basically with 3 D-lineman and a LB while allowing the other seven to sit back on the timing throws that depend on the D respecting the read. Since the Aggies receivers really weren't built for physical play the D could pop them all night long with 2 deep help and disguise presnap coverages between man and zone. Add in that 3 and 4 man rushes were devastating the Aggies O line making Love's job impossible.

This gives me zero faith that Sanford can run the RPO or really even run a Boise type offense with the type of inbuilt creativity and execution the Broncos use. Sorry but his failure to learn a basic system, implement at least some basic formations to use in the red zone exc. make me skeptical that he is has the brains or desire to run a college offense.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2019, 10:18 am

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

USU78 - Thanks for sharing the JL link. Really enjoyed the lights out highlight reel with big time throws.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
USU78

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 15th, 2019, 11:09 am

Wow, good of luck Jordan!

I honestly believe he would be better served staying another year at USU but there is a lot of J Love hype out there in the media. I'm hearing his name here in the bay area when they discuss QB's, so it's not un-reasonable for him to declare.

I just think there are people who have seen him play and there are way more people who have heard about him and only seen his highlights. USU was pretty splashy last season. Wells and Yost got paid because Love performed. I wish him the best, I just don't think he's going to be drafted as high as the hype has him right now.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Hadn't seen this posted yet and thought it might be relevant and of interest here.
CBSSports has a short article dedicated to JLove and his pro potential: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... for-draft/
It seems to be a very fair analysis of his strengths and weaknesses. These guys are still really high on him. Hope the teams are as well...

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:26 pm

If they have hung around J Love, they are high on him too.

Wink, wink
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ShowMeAggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm

This just in everyone, Todd McShay thinks J Love could be an NFL prospect. Some real hard hitting stuff McShay. Who’s your sources letting you know he could be an NFL prospect? He actually says 2 rounder but that headline makes McShay look like he’s not so much an insider.

https://es.pn/2ECgXv9
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic