Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

Post by ineptimusprime » January 8th, 2020, 9:06 am

KissMyAg wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:51 am
KissMyAg wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:48 am
FlashFast6 wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:28 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:47 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlashFast6 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 7:16 am
FlashFast6 wrote:When i played, if you got busted with weed, you were done - period. Now that's late 80's early 90's and I know times have changed, but I am sure there isn't anywhere in the USU athletics handbook on conduct that says a "little weed" possession is cool. That said, the kids deserve a fair shot in court, but the fact a possession charge is pretty straightforward (and they were charged), leads me to believe they are guilty.

I don't think Kent matches up well with USU, so if the guys get suspended, it would greatly improve our chances of winning. On the other hand I hope they are allowed to play and if Kent pulls the upset, they beat USU with their best dudes out there.
I don’t think Kent state matches up well with any team playing in a bowl game. Hate to say it because we are in it but this is the bottom of the barrel bowl and Kent state is the last drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess KSU matched up better than I thought. We certainly played much better than the bottom of the barrel drop.

Your fans are a good bunch though. Good luck and I hope you follow us going forward. Good things are happening in Kent.
Wish we would have won, but Kent played pretty darn good. I think some people underestimated Kent a bit. Crum is a good QB and you guys should have a special season next year. I'll be rooting for the Flashes.
Crum was good for two reasons only.

1. Ena. He game planned against their leading rusher by not assigning someone to knock his a** down on every option play.

2. Ena. He took a good hardworking blue collar D line and turned it into an undisciplined lazy, slow bunch who couldn't tackle their grandma or stay in their lanes on pass rush downs. That QB wasn't fast wasn't shifty, wasn't strong. Fng break down and sack his a**.
I get the frustration for your DC but your post really minimizes a fantastic effort from Crum last night.

He made the throws when needed the runs when needed and to pin it on the DC solely is insane. Crum was hot last night and about the only thing the DC could have done was to ask the refs if you could play with 12 guys on D.

Deep down inside you know it too. Jimmy’s and Joe’s win games. Crum earned respect the way he played.
Flash... Don’t pay attention to HickAggies post.
You mean like you? I don’t know where the athletic department would be without your personal attacks on other Aggie fans and other inane posts.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » January 8th, 2020, 10:27 am

Inept... are you going to call out Hick on his personal attacks too?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 8th, 2020, 11:08 am

KissMyAg wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 10:27 am
Sure — it’s all dumb. We are all Aggies.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
BLUERUFiO

KissMyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » January 8th, 2020, 12:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 11:08 am
KissMyAg wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 10:27 am
Sure — it’s all dumb. We are all Aggies.
Fair point. I’ll cool the lid

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » January 23rd, 2020, 1:48 pm

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:06 pm
I'm starting to hear there is less to this story than what is being reported. Expect this to end up being fought in court.
Like I said. Nothing to see here.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AgMan21

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 23rd, 2020, 2:06 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:25 pm
Whatever your options are about marijuana the fact remains that it is illegal in Utah. Spare me the argument that it doesn’t matter because it’s legal in other states.

Yes, they are college kids, but that also doesn’t excuse this. I expect kids in our program to have better judgement. Especially leaders like Love and Bright.

I hope GA keeps them out of the bowl game. Expectations and consequences are more important for the future success of our program.

AgMac wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:13 pm
I appear to be in the vast minority, but I hope they don't play in the bowl game. I think this is reflective of our undisciplined team this year where our governing mantra seems to be "just love the kids." It was stupid and selfish. Flame away. I lost some respect for them.
USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Idiots.
..and this is exactly why you should withhold your judgement before trashing our own players.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on January 23rd, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22oleblu111bigblue

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 23rd, 2020, 2:08 pm

Logan PD.... not good optics on this one.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyUSU78aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:08 pm
I refuse to give the Fib clicks. I imagine the pee/blood tests came back negative. I understand that sometimes they feel the need to issue the ticket right away, but if you're going after bear, you should really bring a loaded gun.

And, yes, I was wrong to call the kids idiots.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 23rd, 2020, 2:30 pm

USU78 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
I refuse to give the Fib clicks. I imagine the pee/blood tests came back negative. I understand that sometimes they feel the need to issue the ticket right away, but if you're going after bear, you should really bring a loaded gun.

Ill click the link twice just for you.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
TheAKAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm

Well Love has struggled all season with maintaining possession.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 7):
BLUERUFiOTrueBlueFanhipsterdoofus21NVAggieReckonerTheAKAggieStanfordAggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 23rd, 2020, 3:50 pm

I guess a cop having a keen enough sense of smell to know that it's pot and it's coming from a specific apartment isn't enough evidence to get a warrant and drug test people after all....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51747&start=70#p614075

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » January 23rd, 2020, 4:17 pm

USU78 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

Drug tests came back positive. The police couldn't find the physical marijuana. Without that evidence the case was an easy defense.

I wish these guys the best. This could have been so much worse. It could also have been so much better without the media scrutiny and Guilty-until-proven-innocent social media culture.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
oleblu111

AgMac

Post by AgMac » January 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:06 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:
Whatever your options are about marijuana the fact remains that it is illegal in Utah. Spare me the argument that it doesn’t matter because it’s legal in other states.

Yes, they are college kids, but that also doesn’t excuse this. I expect kids in our program to have better judgement. Especially leaders like Love and Bright.

I hope GA keeps them out of the bowl game. Expectations and consequences are more important for the future success of our program.

AgMac wrote:
I appear to be in the vast minority, but I hope they don't play in the bowl game. I think this is reflective of our undisciplined team this year where our governing mantra seems to be "just love the kids." It was stupid and selfish. Flame away. I lost some respect for them.
USU78 wrote:
Idiots.
..and this is exactly why you should withhold your judgement before trashing our own players.
At the time I wrote the above post, I 100% expected the charges to be dropped. That doesn't mean they hadn't been smoking pot. Based on a positive urine test, there aren't enough poppy seed muffins in Cache Valley to convince me they weren't. I feel the exact same as the day I wrote my previous post. Stupid and selfish. Reflective of our undisciplined team. And I don't feel the same about them.

GoldcoastAggie

Post by GoldcoastAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm

AgMac wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

AgMac wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Idiots.
At the time I wrote the above post, I 100% expected the charges to be dropped. That doesn't mean they hadn't been smoking pot. Based on a positive urine test, there aren't enough poppy seed muffins in Cache Valley to convince me they weren't. I feel the exact same as the day I wrote my previous post. Stupid and selfish. Reflective of our undisciplined team. And I don't feel the same about them.
Drug tests can be unreliable. Especially a spot drug test. There is a reason the charges were dropped. The charges were BS.
These users thanked the author GoldcoastAggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 23rd, 2020, 5:36 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm
AgMac wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

AgMac wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Idiots.
Drug tests can be unreliable. Especially a spot drug test. There is a reason the charges were dropped. The charges were BS.
Were they really?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 23rd, 2020, 6:00 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

Drug tests came back positive. The police couldn't find the physical marijuana. Without that evidence the case was an easy defense.

I wish these guys the best. This could have been so much worse. It could also have been so much better without the media scrutiny and Guilty-until-proven-innocent social media culture.
Ya they couldn’t find the evidence because it had been smoked.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aceofspadeskb

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 23rd, 2020, 6:01 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
Well Love has struggled all season with maintaining possession.
Underrated comment right here, folks. :notworthy: :)

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 23rd, 2020, 6:03 pm

AgMac wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

AgMac wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Idiots.
So you do not believe in judge not least you be judged, or innocent until proven guilt, or that on the spot urine test's are not reliable ? If not well ok then.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm

I'd love to hear from our local USU flat foot......

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm

Sl7vk wrote:Logan PD.... not good optics on this one.
Common practice for the LPD, not the first time and it won't be the last.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 24th, 2020, 12:09 am

So let me get this straight, the urine tests were positive so these team leaders were in fact guilty of smoking weed, but case was dismissed because the cop didn't follow a legal process in obtaining the drug tests? And yet we're all mad at the cop?
Can we be bothered by both the cop and the players?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
AgMacNVAggieutahcountyaggie

Ag4life

Post by Ag4life » January 24th, 2020, 8:17 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 12:09 am
So let me get this straight, the urine tests were positive so these team leaders were in fact guilty of smoking weed, but case was dismissed because the cop didn't follow a legal process in obtaining the drug tests? And yet we're all mad at the cop?
You can be bothered by either or both. :lol:

Players smoking pot at one point, yeah that's probably a stupid decision especially for Love. Am I bothered? Not really.
A cop extending his reach, not finding any pot, going through a warrant process to test the players especially when they were just in their own dorm room... that bothers me a little more. I'm just waiting for Gary Anderson to come out to the media and rip LPD and put them back in the spotlight like he implied he would.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 24th, 2020, 8:21 am

I wouldn't count on Doug Hoffman issuing any media credentials to whomever broke the story.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 24th, 2020, 8:49 am

Ag4life wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:17 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Players smoking pot at one point, yeah that's probably a stupid decision especially for Love. Am I bothered? Not really.
A cop extending his reach, not finding any pot, going through a warrant process to test the players especially when they were just in their own dorm room... that bothers me a little more. I'm just waiting for Gary Anderson to come out to the media and rip LPD and put them back in the spotlight like he implied he would.
Especially considering any Marijuana could have been consumed in a legal state or jurisdiction.
By the way, are we sure they tested positive?
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 24th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:49 am
Ag4life wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:17 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Especially considering any Marijuana could have been consumed in a legal state or jurisdiction.
By the way, are we sure they tested positive?
Given no drugs were found, and all the DA had to put on a case was a drug test that couldn't prove the charge (possession), the DA threw in the towel.

With respect to the cop's behavior - as soon as the cop found no drugs he/she should have delivered a warning and left - instead the cop went to court got a warrant and conducted a test that could not prove the intended charge (the judge granting the warrant also ought to have realized it was a stupid request and denied it).

Regarding the players, I personally think it was dumb on their part, but as has been pointed it may well have been legal consumption.

I'm glad the process is over.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 25th, 2020, 10:26 am

GordoAggie wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm
I'd run circles around you both physically and intellectually, sport. I waited a few days to allow you apologists enough rope to hang yourselves with.

In Utah, possession of metabolite in your bloodstream is not considered possession of a controlled substance. That's why the case was dismissed. The urine tests all go to the lab, none of them tested positive for THC, they tested positive for THC-COOH. Only way to test positive for THC-COOH is to have ingested THC.

Several news organizations obtained the police report. Here are the unassailable facts:

The original caller smelled the odor.

The police smelled the odor.

The players admitted that there had been marijuana in the apartment "but not anymore."

One person was under the influence of alcohol as a minor.

All of those things in concert will get a search warrant in any court in the land.

The players gave urine samples, and field tests were positive for THC metabolite, which the state lab confirmed, using the same urine.

Under Utah code, metabolite does not constitute possession unless you're driving, and even then, it is only an element that proves the crime of DUI, not possession of a controlled substance.

There is no Utah code proscribing being under the influence of a controlled substance. You can only get entangled if you drive, act like an idiot in public, or still have it in your bloodstream.

The presence of metabolite proves they smoked weed at some point in the past month, no more, no less.

Under Utah code, they are not guilty of possessing marijuana just because they had smoked it recently. There would have to have been active THC in the urine. There was not. Case dismissed.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

[I'd run circles around you both physically and intellectually, sport]
Zing! Sick burn bruh! I was interested in your professional opinion but tell me more about your intellectual prowess and athleticism :roll:

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 25th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Claiming intellectual, and physical powers in a debate, instead of discussion the topic at hand shows a lack of control needed to prove your point.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Claiming intellectual, and physical powers in a debate, instead of discussion the topic at hand shows a lack of control needed to prove your point.
But I did discuss it, sport. I felt bad when he said I had flat feet.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 25th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Ahbye wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive. Maybe try relaxing a little bit, smoke a joint or something, geez. :) :thanks:

Go Aggies!

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 25th, 2020, 5:07 pm

[ I felt bad when he said I had flat feet]
Relax big brain. Next time I'll use Five-0 or Fuzz or Federale. I didn't mean literal flat feet :cheers:

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 25th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Ahbye wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
So if ones point is convincing enough the claim of intellectual and physical power is not needed. If the worse thing you get called is flat foot then you are very lucky.

I do not like to pass judgement when something like this break on either the kids or the Cops.
Last edited by oleblu111 on January 26th, 2020, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 26th, 2020, 9:08 am

oleblu111 wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 7:12 pm
Ahbye wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
So if ones point is convincing enough the claim of intellectual and physical power is not needed. If the worse thing you get called is flat food then you are very lucky.

I do not like to pass judgement when something like this break on either the kids or the Cops.
Like pancake face or bologna butt, right?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 26th, 2020, 9:37 am

Ahbye wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 10:26 am
GordoAggie wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm
I'd run circles around you both physically and intellectually, sport. I waited a few days to allow you apologists enough rope to hang yourselves with.

In Utah, possession of metabolite in your bloodstream is not considered possession of a controlled substance. That's why the case was dismissed. The urine tests all go to the lab, none of them tested positive for THC, they tested positive for THC-COOH. Only way to test positive for THC-COOH is to have ingested THC.

Several news organizations obtained the police report. Here are the unassailable facts:

The original caller smelled the odor.

The police smelled the odor.

The players admitted that there had been marijuana in the apartment "but not anymore."

One person was under the influence of alcohol as a minor.

All of those things in concert will get a search warrant in any court in the land.

The players gave urine samples, and field tests were positive for THC metabolite, which the state lab confirmed, using the same urine.

Under Utah code, metabolite does not constitute possession unless you're driving, and even then, it is only an element that proves the crime of DUI, not possession of a controlled substance.

There is no Utah code proscribing being under the influence of a controlled substance. You can only get entangled if you drive, act like an idiot in public, or still have it in your bloodstream.

The presence of metabolite proves they smoked weed at some point in the past month, no more, no less.

Under Utah code, they are not guilty of possessing marijuana just because they had smoked it recently. There would have to have been active THC in the urine. There was not. Case dismissed.

I think I pointed this very problem out when this first came to light about 8 pages back Metabolites are indicators but aren't the actual substance. A warrant for a urine test in this circumstance was beyond stupid unless the intent was only to embarrass. They should have asked for a blood test.

Maybe the cops were confused with Utah's insane metabolite DUI statute and didn't compute the difference in the language.

Locked Previous topicNext topic