Coach Andersen

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
coolag
Posts: 1317
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by coolag » December 20th, 2019, 10:46 pm

AggieMan5 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:16 pm
Tons of talent lost. Some big injuries. Extremely hard schedule. Some of you are pathetic. We have one of smallest budgets in a small conference and you guys act like we should be Alabama. This is the life of our program.

I love Gary and will allow him to bring in his own players before making judgement. Hell, if we didn’t have the players Gary brought in this year we may have only won 3-4 games.

Go Aggies.
Yes because it takes Alabama talent, coaching, and money to beat a 6-6 MAC team. Everyone knows that.



User avatar
Aggiewest
Posts: 183
Joined: January 14th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Aggiewest » December 20th, 2019, 11:18 pm

I’m very disappointed with this season. Not with the win total so much as with how bad we looked in our losses. Last year we beat a bunch of bad teams and except in a very few cases very convincingly (CSU, WYO, Air Force). Our schedule this year was definitely more difficult, but we weren’t even competitive against any of the better teams.

We definitely don’t have the team speed on defense that Andersen brought into the program in his first stint here. When Woodward went down, our defense took a huge step backwards. Other than Tipa, there are no standouts on that side of the ball and Tipa was not utilized correctly. The back end of our defense has been suspect the last few years, but this year we also couldn’t hold our own in the trenches. I don’t think playing a 3-4 defense would have made a difference because our linebackers other than Woodward are slow.

I’m willing to give Andersen time to recruit his type of players. I just wish we had more scholarships available this year. What I’m concerned about is that it will take a few recruiting classes to get the team speed needed.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5415
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Aglicious » December 20th, 2019, 11:19 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:30 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:25 pm
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:22 pm
You guys act like we lost to SDSU and CSU.

We did OK with what we had. Give Gary some time. He built this program and deserves the respect.
Well considering your username is GaryTakeTheWheel I feel some bias to this post.... :lol:
He's not wrong though, this is GA's Legacy .you really think he's going to let this team fail long term.
I think it is a matter of the tail wagging the dog at this point. He is not going to let anything happen, he is just along for the ride. He will either hire coordinators that are successful at what they do and reap the reward of that or he will hire under-qualified guys and watch as the program is sent back to where it was when he came in the first time around.

Sorry, but from the day he returned he has not looked like a man that has the determination to do what is required to be a catalyst for success. I think he loves coaching, loves the kids and will do anything for them, but is not the motivator he once was. He is a great father figure for many of these guys but not a great Xs & Os or game day coach. I wish the program was surrounded with guys like him but was coached by someone that is like he was 10 years ago.



User avatar
Aggiewest
Posts: 183
Joined: January 14th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Aggiewest » December 20th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 11:19 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:30 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:25 pm
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 10:22 pm
You guys act like we lost to SDSU and CSU.

We did OK with what we had. Give Gary some time. He built this program and deserves the respect.
Well considering your username is GaryTakeTheWheel I feel some bias to this post.... :lol:
He's not wrong though, this is GA's Legacy .you really think he's going to let this team fail long term.
I think it is a matter of the tail wagging the dog at this point. He is not going to let anything happen, he is just along for the ride. He will either hire coordinators that are successful at what they do and reap the reward of that or he will hire under-qualified guys and watch as the program is sent back to where it was when he came in the first time around.

Sorry, but from the day he returned he has not looked like a man that has the determination to do what is required to be a catalyst for success. I think he loves coaching, loves the kids and will do anything for them, but is not the motivator he once was. He is a great father figure for many of these guys but not a great Xs & Os or game day coach. I wish the program was surrounded with guys like him but were coached by someone that is like he was 10 years ago.
Some of you are hilarious. Let me cover all the bases so I can look brilliant. If we win it not because of Andersen, but the assistant coaches. If we lose it is all on Andersen because he didn’t bring in the right assistant coaches. Greatest take ever! Win or lose, you are prophetic.
These users thanked the author Aggiewest for the post:
MaverickAggie



MWCFAN12
Posts: 881
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 20th, 2019, 11:38 pm

I'm excited about Aggie football if this is Rock Bottom for us that's a good sign.

My opinion on the matter is the cupboard was left very bare by the previous coaching staff. Yes we had a few guys. However I think our depth was very poor.

As far as Gary and this year I think there was a few coaching mistakes. I think we took one of our best players out of the game for the most part with Tipa when we try to put his hand in the ground as a d end.

I would like to hear an explanation as to why we did that I'm not sure I have ever heard one.

I think our offensive line situation was much worse than what it seem to be. Not saying that we don't have good players just saying it's really hard to break in that many young guys at one time. I think our running back situation was a big part of the problem on offense. Coach Wells did not recruit running back help at all for this year. Our offense what happened much better with a better running game.

We are missing some cornerbacks and DBs.

All in all I actually think this was a very successful season considering what the coaching staff had to work with.

Dalbo or Saban would not have won more than eight Or nine games with this team.
We all just need to relax enjoy Christmas and be thankful that we're only 7 weeks away from Spring ball.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 3):
BadElbowIntermeddlerJSHarvey



User avatar
MaverickAggie
Posts: 446
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 11:51 pm
Location: Boise, ID
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by MaverickAggie » December 21st, 2019, 12:35 am

We won 7 games and everyone acts like the sky is falling. Between 1980 and 2011(31 years) we won 7 games one time (1993). ONE TIME in 31 years playing in (I can't express myself without swearing) conferences. It took Gary coming here to make this program a winner. I believe he is the right guy this time as well.

Ena did not live up to my expectations and I question whether he lived up to Gary's either. Time will tell.

Gary knows how to recruit to here, he cares about the program and the kids in it and he will actually stay when he has success unlike every other "young up-and-coming coach" looking for their first ticket out of here.

I'm not ready to jump off the ship.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post (total 3):
CW51GaryTakeTheWheelJSHarvey



CW51
Posts: 32
Joined: October 17th, 2018, 9:15 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by CW51 » December 21st, 2019, 1:00 am

As Aggie fans some of you sure have gotten greedy! Some of us remember never going to bowl games. Crap years year after year! Everybody loved GA the first go around and his first year here we weren't good. Dont forget he got the ball rolling for this program. Be grateful he came back! Be grateful he is a player's coach and not the guy on a damn maverick mug or poster! Especially with our weak as hell fan base! Fair weather fans to the fullest!



Chatman
Posts: 1154
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Chatman » December 21st, 2019, 4:18 am

I don’t think this season was the bottom of the downward trend. I am happy to give Andersen a few years to get some of his recruits in but from the looks of things we should all brace for a rough season next year.



User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3308
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 21st, 2019, 5:09 am

I don't understand the fascination with having a "players coach."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk



"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

mike1126
Posts: 93
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by mike1126 » December 21st, 2019, 5:20 am

Matt wells recruits in action, and your surprised at the outcome.



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 605
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 6:18 am

Wow its such a breath of fresh air to hear from fans that can use logic and reason. That can also see that we have very pressing needs on our team and its going to take 2-3 yrs



Ahbye
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Ahbye » December 21st, 2019, 6:20 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm
The icing on the cake for me is the not-so-veiled threats at the press and the cops who did their jobs the other night. Such irony that he did that whilst forgetting to do his own job tonight.
I also thought that was in very bad taste.
Getting warrants for urine because someone though they smelled Pot is doing their jobs? Its a waste of taxpayer money and harrassment. And they got urine warrants that only show metabolytes instead of a blood draw that could actually show possession in the jurisdiction. Gary has a lot of faults starting with Ena but wow.
Hick, I was going to let your ignorance go, because we've always gotten along, but I guess I'll have to learn you a bit. We can't let your false narrative misinform everybody else on this board. I thought someone said you were a lawyer. When I get kids in that situation, I try to help them out as much as possible with a list of things they can do to mitigate things. I'm going to add staying away from you to that list. I'll debunk your tripe in the other thread. And for the record, I would not have applied for a search warrant in that case. I would have told them to knock off the $hit and go home.



User avatar
kofdog
Posts: 2269
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:07 am
Location: North Logan
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by kofdog » December 21st, 2019, 7:43 am

3 turnovers.... that was the game. Cant really fault a coach for that. Players make plays.



User avatar
Cheecho6
Posts: 1456
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Cheecho6 » December 21st, 2019, 7:55 am

We will be fine. It’s good to be to a point as a program where a wining season is a disappointment.

Go Aggies!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Cheecho6 for the post:
kofdog


"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

coolag
Posts: 1317
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by coolag » December 21st, 2019, 9:30 am

MaverickAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:35 am
We won 7 games and everyone acts like the sky is falling. Between 1980 and 2011(31 years) we won 7 games one time (1993). ONE TIME in 31 years playing in s*** conferences. It took Gary coming here to make this program a winner. I believe he is the right guy this time as well.

Ena did not live up to my expectations and I question whether he lived up to Gary's either. Time will tell.

Gary knows how to recruit to here, he cares about the program and the kids in it and he will actually stay when he has success unlike every other "young up-and-coming coach" looking for their first ticket out of here.

I'm not ready to jump off the ship.
Yeah because if Gary has taught us anything it's that he would stay after having success here. Good hell man.



SLB
Posts: 4525
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 405 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by SLB » December 21st, 2019, 9:34 am

The Jay Hill support increases here from many games like the Kent State. We are an elite G5 school, and we expect elite G5 results.



hickaggie
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by hickaggie » December 21st, 2019, 9:38 am

Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:20 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm
The icing on the cake for me is the not-so-veiled threats at the press and the cops who did their jobs the other night. Such irony that he did that whilst forgetting to do his own job tonight.
I also thought that was in very bad taste.
Getting warrants for urine because someone though they smelled Pot is doing their jobs? Its a waste of taxpayer money and harrassment. And they got urine warrants that only show metabolytes instead of a blood draw that could actually show possession in the jurisdiction. Gary has a lot of faults starting with Ena but wow.
Hick, I was going to let your ignorance go, because we've always gotten along, but I guess I'll have to learn you a bit. We can't let your false narrative misinform everybody else on this board. I thought someone said you were a lawyer. When I get kids in that situation, I try to help them out as much as possible with a list of things they can do to mitigate things. I'm going to add staying away from you to that list. I'll debunk your tripe in the other thread. And for the record, I would not have applied for a search warrant in that case. I would have told them to knock off the $hit and go home.
I wasn't bagging on you at at all. Nor do I know the situation. You agree with me on the warrant. The warrant was stupid and shouldn't have been sought . As for the metabylite argument I haven't done a pot case in Utah for a while. Wyoming has a use statute (you can't prove possession by having it your system here), that is provable through metabolytes but rarely used for pot anymore except for probation violations exc. so I don't know. Blood draws are inherently more accurate and actually detect the THC.

I didn't imply you were involved or all of the facts involved. I believe it was insane to seek a warrant if nothing illegal was found and the only allegation was alleged marijuana use and we appear to agree. But I've forgotten what Cache Valley law enforcement/legal/political culture is like I guess. I'm not defending illegal conduct, rules violations, exc. although I think a football player would be technically wiser to manage his pain that way than with legally prescribed narcotics..



User avatar
MaverickAggie
Posts: 446
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 11:51 pm
Location: Boise, ID
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by MaverickAggie » December 21st, 2019, 9:51 am

coolag wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:30 am
MaverickAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:35 am
We won 7 games and everyone acts like the sky is falling. Between 1980 and 2011(31 years) we won 7 games one time (1993). ONE TIME in 31 years playing in s*** conferences. It took Gary coming here to make this program a winner. I believe he is the right guy this time as well.

Ena did not live up to my expectations and I question whether he lived up to Gary's either. Time will tell.

Gary knows how to recruit to here, he cares about the program and the kids in it and he will actually stay when he has success unlike every other "young up-and-coming coach" looking for their first ticket out of here.

I'm not ready to jump off the ship.
Yeah because if Gary has taught us anything it's that he would stay after having success here. Good hell man.
You really think it's same as 10 years ago, laughable. He isn't chasing the next job. He doesn't have the same fire but that's ok with me. He's matured, more experienced and learned a thing or two.

I believe he is our best shot at making USU a consistent winner.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel



coolag
Posts: 1317
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by coolag » December 21st, 2019, 10:05 am

I guess that's where you and I will have to agree to disagree. Contrary to my sarcastic response above I would rather have the more fired up Gary that leaves than a less fired up Gary that's learned a thing or two. Especially considering his last stop as a head coach. Bringing back a coach for a second stint rarely works out especially after the coach has had an epic fail at his prior gig. I realize Gary kept his house and loves Logan and has a USU tat and blah blah blah but to say he is the best option to make USU a consistent winner is a little short sighted IMO.

Look I appreciate what Gary accomplished his first time around. He brought swagger, confidence, and other qualities. He was the right choice and just what we needed to turn things around. But he also had what previous coaches did not, actual administrative support and vision. It's just my opinion that that Gary no longer exists and it showed in the teams demeanor and overall play. Next year will be worse IMHO. Carry on. Go Aggies!!!



Ahbye
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Ahbye » December 21st, 2019, 10:07 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:38 am
Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:20 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm
The icing on the cake for me is the not-so-veiled threats at the press and the cops who did their jobs the other night. Such irony that he did that whilst forgetting to do his own job tonight.
I also thought that was in very bad taste.
Getting warrants for urine because someone though they smelled Pot is doing their jobs? Its a waste of taxpayer money and harrassment. And they got urine warrants that only show metabolytes instead of a blood draw that could actually show possession in the jurisdiction. Gary has a lot of faults starting with Ena but wow.
Hick, I was going to let your ignorance go, because we've always gotten along, but I guess I'll have to learn you a bit. We can't let your false narrative misinform everybody else on this board. I thought someone said you were a lawyer. When I get kids in that situation, I try to help them out as much as possible with a list of things they can do to mitigate things. I'm going to add staying away from you to that list. I'll debunk your tripe in the other thread. And for the record, I would not have applied for a search warrant in that case. I would have told them to knock off the $hit and go home.
I wasn't bagging on you at at all. Nor do I know the situation. You agree with me on the warrant. The warrant was stupid and shouldn't have been sought . As for the metabylite argument I haven't done a pot case in Utah for a while. Wyoming has a use statute (you can't prove possession by having it your system here), that is provable through metabolytes but rarely used for pot anymore except for probation violations exc. so I don't know. Blood draws are inherently more accurate and actually detect the THC.

I didn't imply you were involved or all of the facts involved. I believe it was insane to seek a warrant if nothing illegal was found and the only allegation was alleged marijuana use and we appear to agree. But I've forgotten what Cache Valley law enforcement/legal/political culture is like I guess. I'm not defending illegal conduct, rules violations, exc. although I think a football player would be technically wiser to manage his pain that way than with legally prescribed narcotics..
I don't agree with you on the warrant. I wouldn't have sought it because of my own personal calculus and discretion in these types of cases. However, LCPD did seek a warrant, and there was nothing in the PC statement to set it apart from other similar cases. They had plenty of evidence, and the case will not hinge on whether PC existed or not. It will also not hinge on metabolites. It won't hinge on whether it was a status offense. It will hinge on lab results. I believe you cited the Robinson case out of California, but you didn't dig a bit deeper to find a Utah case of the same name that addresses status issues. Don't worry, I'll lay it all out so that it makes sense. I've got some stuff to attend to, but I believe it will clarify all issues and concerns, including that of GA as well. It will do so in a way that everybody remains friends.



hickaggie
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by hickaggie » December 21st, 2019, 10:08 am

MaverickAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:51 am
coolag wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:30 am
MaverickAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:35 am
We won 7 games and everyone acts like the sky is falling. Between 1980 and 2011(31 years) we won 7 games one time (1993). ONE TIME in 31 years playing in s*** conferences. It took Gary coming here to make this program a winner. I believe he is the right guy this time as well.

Ena did not live up to my expectations and I question whether he lived up to Gary's either. Time will tell.

Gary knows how to recruit to here, he cares about the program and the kids in it and he will actually stay when he has success unlike every other "young up-and-coming coach" looking for their first ticket out of here.

I'm not ready to jump off the ship.
Yeah because if Gary has taught us anything it's that he would stay after having success here. Good hell man.
You really think it's same as 10 years ago, laughable. He isn't chasing the next job. He doesn't have the same fire but that's ok with me. He's mat

I was a huge Gary Andersen supporter to get this role. To view this season in wins though is a mistake. Unless he makes serious coaching and cultural changes this is a 3 win team next year. I don't blame him for loss of talent, for Woody's injuries, for Koch's injury.

However, I would have never beleived that defense on a team coached by Gary would play with such apathy or use such terrible technique. You can't watch much film the last half of the season without coming to the conclusion that the D line was not just overwhelmed but lazy and undisciplined, that the secondary aside from their lack of coverage skills took terrible angles and closed their eyes and dove at runners feet. That's not talent that's culture starting with discipline and accountability. That's lazy position and coordinator coaching too.

Gary's been knocked down and if he wants to see another winning season here he's going to have to reevaluate a lot of things IMO. Getting recruits isn't enough. He built his reputation on blue collar physical defenses. Under him this defense regressed badly in this department, talent aside.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
codingaggie



hickaggie
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by hickaggie » December 21st, 2019, 10:14 am

Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:07 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:38 am
Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:20 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm
The icing on the cake for me is the not-so-veiled threats at the press and the cops who did their jobs the other night. Such irony that he did that whilst forgetting to do his own job tonight.
I also thought that was in very bad taste.
Getting warrants for urine because someone though they smelled Pot is doing their jobs? Its a waste of taxpayer money and harrassment. And they got urine warrants that only show metabolytes instead of a blood draw that could actually show possession in the jurisdiction. Gary has a lot of faults starting with Ena but wow.
Hick, I was going to let your ignorance go, because we've always gotten along, but I guess I'll have to learn you a bit. We can't let your false narrative misinform everybody else on this board. I thought someone said you were a lawyer. When I get kids in that situation, I try to help them out as much as possible with a list of things they can do to mitigate things. I'm going to add staying away from you to that list. I'll debunk your tripe in the other thread. And for the record, I would not have applied for a search warrant in that case. I would have told them to knock off the $hit and go home.
I wasn't bagging on you at at all. Nor do I know the situation. You agree with me on the warrant. The warrant was stupid and shouldn't have been sought . As for the metabylite argument I haven't done a pot case in Utah for a while. Wyoming has a use statute (you can't prove possession by having it your system here), that is provable through metabolytes but rarely used for pot anymore except for probation violations exc. so I don't know. Blood draws are inherently more accurate and actually detect the THC.

I didn't imply you were involved or all of the facts involved. I believe it was insane to seek a warrant if nothing illegal was found and the only allegation was alleged marijuana use and we appear to agree. But I've forgotten what Cache Valley law enforcement/legal/political culture is like I guess. I'm not defending illegal conduct, rules violations, exc. although I think a football player would be technically wiser to manage his pain that way than with legally prescribed narcotics..
I don't agree with you on the warrant. I wouldn't have sought it because of my own personal calculus and discretion in these types of cases. However, LCPD did seek a warrant, and there was nothing in the PC statement to set it apart from other similar cases. They had plenty of evidence, and the case will not hinge on whether PC existed or not. It will also not hinge on metabolites. It won't hinge on whether it was a status offense. It will hinge on lab results. I believe you cited the Robinson case out of California, but you didn't dig a bit deeper to find a Utah case of the same name that addresses status issues. Don't worry, I'll lay it all out so that it makes sense. I've got some stuff to attend to, but I believe it will clarify all issues and concerns, including that of GA as well. It will do so in a way that everybody remains friends.
I told you I didn't look up Utah case law on metabolites and admitted that. Given the Utah Supreme Court upholding the DUI metabilite statute ( a whole different issue) it doesn't surprise me though. Nor do I disagree that PC is as low a standard as the officer's nose. As you stated about your known views it , having probable cause and common sense are two different things. Probably some young guys who just think its their job and they probably would have caught hell if they hadn't. My reaction mainly has to do with my absence from Logan and it s unique culture I think. And its not like Wyoming is easy on pot either.



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1830
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by JSHarvey » December 21st, 2019, 10:16 am

My thoughts on what felt like a difficult and annoying season where we didn't do as well as we probably could have.

1. Part of the concern I have is that for GA 1.0 he figured out what our players were capable of doing and designed a defense that would work, given what we had, and which maximized what the team could get out of each player (or most of them anyway). In GA 2.0 he just agreed with what Ena wanted to do (apparently without analysis of whether it would actually work). As pointed out by many above and elsewhere (particularly aggies22) that wasted some of our best players' talents and put them in positions were it was almost impossible for them to do very well.

2. Lack of motivation. It was simply a joy to watch and experience the team under GA 1.0. Everyone involved was very fired up and went out for each game with the idea they really could win. AND they played that way. This year really didn't feel that way AT ALL. Given the recruiting and budget hurdles we face if the fire and motivation aren't present we aren't going to do well.

3. The fact that no significant changes were made throughout the season when it became obvious that what we were doing wasn't working well is a troubling sign (in my opinion).

4. At the start of the season I "expected" we would win 8 to 9 games (I was wrong). I expected to lose the tough games - LSU, Boise, and one or two from the west side of the conference. I thought we could beat Wake Forest (and I still think that one was winnable with just a bit better offensive play calling, or that we would have won much more easily with a better scheme on the defensive side of the ball). I was pleasantly surprised that we beat SDSU and Fresno. What made me very upset was not being competitive at all in the AFA and BYU games, those are peer institutions that we've done pretty well against in recent years, to look like we didn't even belong on the field was very disheartening. And I think about 90% of the blame rests with the coaches' scheme, game planning, and lack of an ability to motivate the team.

I think with significant changes (in attitude and scheme) Andersen can do well in his second stint here, failing that I don't think he (nor the team) has a very promising future for the near term.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
Aglicious


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Ahbye
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Ahbye » December 21st, 2019, 10:29 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:14 am
Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:07 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:38 am
Ahbye wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:20 am
hickaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:43 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm
The icing on the cake for me is the not-so-veiled threats at the press and the cops who did their jobs the other night. Such irony that he did that whilst forgetting to do his own job tonight.
I also thought that was in very bad taste.
Getting warrants for urine because someone though they smelled Pot is doing their jobs? Its a waste of taxpayer money and harrassment. And they got urine warrants that only show metabolytes instead of a blood draw that could actually show possession in the jurisdiction. Gary has a lot of faults starting with Ena but wow.
Hick, I was going to let your ignorance go, because we've always gotten along, but I guess I'll have to learn you a bit. We can't let your false narrative misinform everybody else on this board. I thought someone said you were a lawyer. When I get kids in that situation, I try to help them out as much as possible with a list of things they can do to mitigate things. I'm going to add staying away from you to that list. I'll debunk your tripe in the other thread. And for the record, I would not have applied for a search warrant in that case. I would have told them to knock off the $hit and go home.
I wasn't bagging on you at at all. Nor do I know the situation. You agree with me on the warrant. The warrant was stupid and shouldn't have been sought . As for the metabylite argument I haven't done a pot case in Utah for a while. Wyoming has a use statute (you can't prove possession by having it your system here), that is provable through metabolytes but rarely used for pot anymore except for probation violations exc. so I don't know. Blood draws are inherently more accurate and actually detect the THC.

I didn't imply you were involved or all of the facts involved. I believe it was insane to seek a warrant if nothing illegal was found and the only allegation was alleged marijuana use and we appear to agree. But I've forgotten what Cache Valley law enforcement/legal/political culture is like I guess. I'm not defending illegal conduct, rules violations, exc. although I think a football player would be technically wiser to manage his pain that way than with legally prescribed narcotics..
I don't agree with you on the warrant. I wouldn't have sought it because of my own personal calculus and discretion in these types of cases. However, LCPD did seek a warrant, and there was nothing in the PC statement to set it apart from other similar cases. They had plenty of evidence, and the case will not hinge on whether PC existed or not. It will also not hinge on metabolites. It won't hinge on whether it was a status offense. It will hinge on lab results. I believe you cited the Robinson case out of California, but you didn't dig a bit deeper to find a Utah case of the same name that addresses status issues. Don't worry, I'll lay it all out so that it makes sense. I've got some stuff to attend to, but I believe it will clarify all issues and concerns, including that of GA as well. It will do so in a way that everybody remains friends.
I told you I didn't look up Utah case law on metabolites and admitted that. Given the Utah Supreme Court upholding the DUI metabilite statute ( a whole different issue) it doesn't surprise me though. Nor do I disagree that PC is as low a standard as the officer's nose. As you stated about your known views it , having probable cause and common sense are two different things. Probably some young guys who just think its their job and they probably would have caught hell if they hadn't. My reaction mainly has to do with my absence from Logan and it s unique culture I think. And its not like Wyoming is easy on pot either.
My issue with the whole narrative you've purveyed is that it causes people to think that these guys were picked on due to LCPD's being a-holes or that this is some sort of railroading or something. While I would have done things differently, I can honestly say that they were treated consistently and courteously. Athletes do read this page, and when they hear that kind of stuff, it makes them less likely to be cooperative in the cases that I actually do care about where they may be my only witnesses to a crime with actual victims. It also forces me to treat everybody exactly the same when in actuality, a case like this is the reason we have discretion and the ability to weigh all circumstances in each person's life to achieve the best outcome. I can't speak to how LCPD grades their officers, but I can say with certainty that my job prospects absolutely do not depend on whether I arrest somebody or not. Don't worry, I'll address it all.



Aggie75
Posts: 24
Joined: March 1st, 2018, 12:28 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Aggie75 » December 21st, 2019, 11:06 am

The wound is beginning to heal this morning and I'm still a GA supporter. I was disappointed with the defense this year primarily because I thought that was going to be more our strength rather than the offense. It's natural to lash out at the Head Coach because he's ultimately responsible, but I'm willing to accept the fact that he walked into this situation and had to play with the cards he was dealt. He had little time to get his assistant coaches in place and the good pickings were already gone. Being blown out so many times this year was an embarrassment because I've come to expect more, but I firmly believe GA will figure it out. I'm not sure what's waiting in the wings as far as red shirts and others that he may have tried to protect, but he's a good recruiter and he'll work to fill the holes. If there needs to be a change in assistant coaches, I'm sure he's already made those decisions and we'll learn about them in due time. As for going forward, I think we'll see us getting back to some basics in spring ball i.e. learning how to tackle, getting off blocks, protecting the quarterback. I'll be surprised if we don't see a marked improvement in all of those areas next year.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 6800
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 312 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Imakeitrain » December 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

7-6 isn't terrible, specifically considering we played the better half of the other division this year and had one of the strongest strengths of schedules we've ever had. Specifically considering Matt Wells left an offense with Jordan Love but almost no other returning starters and a defense that significantly lacked DBs and DL- to make matters worse Wells took a DB with him. We had an injured offensive line- to the point where in some positions it appeared we were playing 3rd or 4th stringers, we had injuries on defense including our best player on defense.

We lost a bowl game to a MAC team. Wells couldn't win a bowl without largely GA recruits until last year. In fact, technically the only 2 Bowl games Wells won as coach was in his first 2 years when he benefited heavily off of Gary's recruits.Then we didn't win a bowl game until last year which Wells did not coach.

Look I get it, Jay Hill and Morgan Scalley (who was not interested) but Gary has to have a chance to build his team.

What's really frustrating is the sense that some of you are just looking for the "told you so" moment. Are you happy we lost? Is that it?
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
JFW_AGGIES


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Mediocre at Best
Posts: 813
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 21st, 2019, 11:31 am

Gary's resume - if you use an academic GPA 4.0 system - his resume - total body of work as a coach- puts him as a barely average coach sporting a cumulative 2.13 GPA.

SUU 2003 4 -7 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2009 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2010 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2011 7 -6 3.0 (B grade)
USU 2012 11-2 4.0 (A grade)
WIS 2013 9-4 3.0 (B grade)
WIS 2014 10-3 3.5 (A- grade)
OSU 2015 2-10 0 (F-grade)
OSU 2016 4-8 1.5 (D grade)
OSU 2017 1-5 0 (F grade)
USU 2019 7-6 2.5 ( C grade)

Average these numbers and the collective GPA is 2.13. This past season may be disappointing but really does not deviate from what would be predicted given his resume. This is not Gary 1.0 versus the Gary 2.0 version...he is what he is an average to above average coach at best from the beginning to now. Our fan base has hungered for years to have a decent season and he gave us one season that went well beyond that and his status in the eyes of our fan base was unrealistically elevated because of that. This in turn has led to unrealistic expectations of him and our program. We are not in as bad shape as many have posted but we are also not as good as many believe we are or think we should be. Over the years we have gone from awful to an average program elevated by an average coach.

I for one value the stability GA brings to Cache Valley and think it would be mistake to fire him. I am confident that his current tenure will be one of outliers both highs and lows but overall it will a regression to the mean. He is no worse than most of the middle tier retreads in college football and there are many. I found the USA today article a few days ago to be most interesting in this regard.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 633095001/

GA is in the same class as Sonny Dykes (and many others) whose head coaching record like GA's is average at best with the occasional good season - 2019 SMU. I look forward to next season. I have been a major critic of Sanford but feel compelled to give him his due - fine job yesterday and believe that between he and Colombi next year we will some quality offense. Really pleased by the OL development this year given its youth. Also kudos to Love, Bright, Nathan, Thompkins, and Mariner - all played a great game yesterday.

As far as the D sometimes one has to burn the forest to the ground and regenerate from there not renovate. That is going to a massive project and hope GA adopts that approach rather than a patch work fix. I have no problem giving him 2 years to accomplish that. We did have Defense talent this year but Ena was over his head as a DC having to transition quality players coupled with his limited experience. I went back and reread my earlier posts expressing concern as early as game 2 of this season stating if defensive adjustments were not made we would lose several games this year - got some flack for it.

I guess this is long winded post attempting to advocate for patience. This is not a case of GA being one of the duller tools in the shed...he knows the game... its not a question of intelligence just that he is not the quickest to figure things out. I lauded his firing of Bill Busch as DC after 2 years - that was a bold move and improvement was immediate with that firing. That gives me confidence that eventually GA will turn around the D in the next year or two. This coaching business is baffling as Busch is one of those retreads who continues to find good gigs since he left USU.
Last edited by Mediocre at Best on December 21st, 2019, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
USU78



Usu0505
Posts: 560
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Usu0505 » December 21st, 2019, 11:31 am

Imakeitrain wrote:7-6 isn't terrible, specifically considering we played the better half of the other division this year and had one of the strongest strengths of schedules we've ever had. Specifically considering Matt Wells left an offense with Jordan Love but almost no other returning starters and a defense that significantly lacked DBs and DL- to make matters worse Wells took a DB with him. We had an injured offensive line- to the point where in some positions it appeared we were playing 3rd or 4th stringers, we had injuries on defense including our best player on defense.

We lost a bowl game to a MAC team. Wells couldn't win a bowl without largely GA recruits until last year. In fact, technically the only 2 Bowl games Wells won as coach was in his first 2 years when he benefited heavily off of Gary's recruits.Then we didn't win a bowl game until last year which Wells did not coach.

Look I get it, Jay Hill and Morgan Scalley (who was not interested) but Gary has to have a chance to build his team.

What's really frustrating is the sense that some of you are just looking for the "told you so" moment. Are you happy we lost? Is that it?
Short answer. Yes they are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Imakeitrain
Posts: 6800
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 312 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Imakeitrain » December 21st, 2019, 11:39 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 11:31 am
Gary's resume - if you use an academic GPA 4.0 system - his resume - total body of work as a coach- puts him as a barely average coach sporting a cumulative 2.13 GPA.

SUU 2003 4 -7 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2009 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2010 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2011 7 -6 3.0 (B grade)
USU 2012 11-2 4.0 (A grade)
WIS 2013 9-4 3.0 (B grade)
WIS 2014 10-3 3.5 (A- grade)
OSU 2015 2-10 0 (F-grade)
OSU 2016 4-8 1.5 (D grade)
OSU 2017 1-5 0 (F grade)
USU 2019 7-6 2.5 ( C grade)

Average these numbers and the collective GPA is 2.13. This past season may be disappointing but really does not deviate from what would be predicted given his resume. This is not Gary 1.0 versus the Gary 2.0 version...he is what he is an average to above average coach at best from the beginning to now. Our fan base has hungered for years to have a decent season and he gave us one season that went well beyond that and his status in the eyes of our fan base was unrealistically elevated because of that. This in turn has led to unrealistic expectations of him and our program. We are not in as bad shape as many have posted but we are also not as good as many believe we are or think we should be. Over the years we have gone from awful to an average program elevated by an average coach.

I for one value the stability GA brings to Cache Valley and think it would be mistake to fire him. I am confident that his current tenure will be one of outliers both highs and lows but overall it will a regression to the mean. He is no worse than most of the middle tier retreads in college football and there are many. I found the USA today article a few days ago to be most interesting in this regard.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 633095001/

GA is in the same class as Sonny Dykes (and many others) whose head coaching record like GA's is average at best with the occasional good season - 2019 SMU. I look forward to next season. I have been a major critic of Sanford but feel compelled to give him his due - fine job yesterday and believe that between he and Colombi next year we will some quality offense. Really pleased by the OL development this year given its youth. Also kudos to Love, Bright, Nathan, Thompkins, and Mariner - all played a great game yesterday.

As far as the D sometimes one has to burn the forest to the ground and regenerate from there not renovate. That is going to a massive project and hope GA adopts that approach rather than a patch work fix. I have no problem giving him 2 years to accomplish that. We did have Defense talent this year but Ena was over his head as a DC having to transition quality players coupled with his limited experience. I went back and reread my earlier posts expressing concern as early as game 2 of this season stating if defensive adjustments were not made we would lose several games this year - got some flack for it.

I guess this is long winded post attempting to advocate for patience. This is not a case of GA being one of the duller tools in the shed...he knows the game... its not a question of intelligence just that he is not the quickest to figure things out. I lauded his firing of Bill Busch as DC after 2 years - that was a bold move and improvement was immediate with that firing. That gives me confidence that eventually GA will turn around the D in the next year or two. This coaching business is baffling as Busch is one of those retreads who continues to find good gigs since he left USU.
I feel like this is a very inconsistent grading scale.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 605
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 11:45 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 11:31 am
Gary's resume - if you use an academic GPA 4.0 system - his resume - total body of work as a coach- puts him as a barely average coach sporting a cumulative 2.13 GPA.

SUU 2003 4 -7 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2009 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2010 4 -8 2.0 (C grade)
USU 2011 7 -6 3.0 (B grade)
USU 2012 11-2 4.0 (A grade)
WIS 2013 9-4 3.0 (B grade)
WIS 2014 10-3 3.5 (A- grade)
OSU 2015 2-10 0 (F-grade)
OSU 2016 4-8 1.5 (D grade)
OSU 2017 1-5 0 (F grade)
USU 2019 7-6 2.5 ( C grade)

Average these numbers and the collective GPA is 2.13. This past season may be disappointing but really does not deviate from what would be predicted given his resume. This is not Gary 1.0 versus the Gary 2.0 version...he is what he is an average to above average coach at best from the beginning to now. Our fan base has hungered for years to have a decent season and he gave us one season that went well beyond that and his status in the eyes of our fan base was unrealistically elevated because of that. This in turn has led to unrealistic expectations of him and our program. We are not in as bad shape as many have posted but we are also not as good as many believe we are or think we should be. Over the years we have gone from awful to an average program elevated by an average coach.

I for one value the stability GA brings to Cache Valley and think it would be mistake to fire him. I am confident that his current tenure will be one of outliers both highs and lows but overall it will a regression to the mean. He is no worse than most of the middle tier retreads in college football and there are many. I found the USA today article a few days ago to be most interesting in this regard.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 633095001/

GA is in the same class as Sonny Dykes (and many others) whose head coaching record like GA's is average at best with the occasional good season - 2019 SMU. I look forward to next season. I have been a major critic of Sanford but feel compelled to give him his due - fine job yesterday and believe that between he and Colombi next year we will some quality offense. Really pleased by the OL development this year given its youth. Also kudos to Love, Bright, Nathan, Thompkins, and Mariner - all played a great game yesterday.

As far as the D sometimes one has to burn the forest to the ground and regenerate from there not renovate. That is going to a massive project and hope GA adopts that approach rather than a patch work fix. I have no problem giving him 2 years to accomplish that. We did have Defense talent this year but Ena was over his head as a DC having to transition quality players coupled with his limited experience. I went back and reread my earlier posts expressing concern as early as game 2 of this season stating if defensive adjustments were not made we would lose several games this year - got some flack for it.

I guess this is long winded post attempting to advocate for patience. This is not a case of GA being one of the duller tools in the shed...he knows the game... its not a question of intelligence just that he is not the quickest to figure things out. I lauded his firing of Bill Busch as DC after 2 years - that was a bold move and improvement was immediate with that firing. That gives me confidence that eventually GA will turn around the D in the next year or two. This coaching business is baffling as Busch is one of those retreads who continues to find good gigs since he left USU.
Man really digging up anything you can to support your arguement. Are you forgetting 3 of those programs have been traditionally garbage?



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 605
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 11:47 am

But i agree patience is the correct course.



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 813
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by Mediocre at Best » December 21st, 2019, 11:47 am

Good point! It is certainly not a perfect one. But is meant to put GA's resume into perspective at least in global way. Clearly there are many red herring variables that would need to be considered but it certainly cannot be argued that his career has been stellar. Forget the GPA analogy and go simple GA wins on average approximately 5 games a year.



TrueBlueAggie123
Posts: 233
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 21st, 2019, 7:37 pm

I heard a rumor that GA could possibly step down due to health issues. Any truth to that?



User avatar
BearLakeMonster
Posts: 1886
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Location: The Caribbean of the Rockies
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 21st, 2019, 7:39 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 7:37 pm
I heard a rumor that GA could possibly step down due to health issues. Any truth to that?
Did he catch the brain cloud from Queta?


"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

User avatar
AndroidAggie
Posts: 4122
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:47 am
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Coach Andersen

Post by AndroidAggie » December 21st, 2019, 7:54 pm

coolag wrote:Is sleepy
Sleepy Gary? Hands down my best friend in the whole world. I've known h Beth since high school.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk




Locked Previous topicNext topic