Please read my Aggie brothers

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm

I'm baffled as to why grown men are calling each other (I can't express myself without swearing)$. I've seen this used several times in several threads. Seeing men being called (I can't express myself without swearing)$ is getting really hard for me to continue to read. It's a discussion fellas. We should not discourage each other from voicing our opinions. We all have the same common goals and interest in mind. We shouldn't $hit on each other for having different opinions on how to get there.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 18):
BLUERUFiOViAggieusu99Aggie19pcaggieZaggie07USU78AggieBluesaggieguy13jpswensen and 8 more users

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Please read my Aggie brothers

Post by USU78 » December 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm

A failure of moderation.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LKGates

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 23rd, 2019, 2:48 pm

Tis the season for fighting in the family. Happy Holidays everyone! And GO AGGIES!
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 3):
brownjeansViAggieGaryTakeTheWheel

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm
A failure of moderation.
You should request a refund or demand that the moderators get a pay decrease. :noidea:
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 7):
BustaMcNuttsneedusufan1USUstudent13BLUERUFiOZaggie07GaryTakeTheWheel

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » December 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

USU78 wrote:A failure of moderation.
Not really. It is a failure of personal ethical/social behavior that even makes moderation necessary. Especially when this board is a service provided to our community at time/cost expense to the maintainers, they can’t be expected to take the time to moderate the antisocial behavior of those who are arguably expected to engage in good faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 6):
treesap32brownjeansusufan1FullJSHarveyAGinNEIowa

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

SLB

Post by SLB » December 23rd, 2019, 3:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm
I'm baffled as to why grown men are calling each other (I can't express myself without swearing)$. I've seen this used several times in several threads. Seeing men being called (I can't express myself without swearing)$ is getting really hard for me to continue to read. It's a discussion fellas. We should not discourage each other from voicing our opinions. We all have the same common goals and interest in mind. We shouldn't $hit on each other for having different opinions on how to get there.
I notice this too since I am the receiving end for much of it.
The issues are the following:
1) Some folks here are just Anti-BYU and want to vent which defeats the whole purpose of being here. It is Aggie board for Aggie fans who really cares if you are anti-BYU or not.
2) There is a mod or 2 who gets caught up with the personal attacks that defeats being a mod in the first place.
3) Fake authority people getting exposed on lack of stats and evidence in arguments, and I have been in this spot making an argument against many of these people exposing that they had no clue what they were talking about. Some have left this board because they lost their crap (like the Bean thread among others) and got nasty with people.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

There's a difference between disagreement and disrespect.

Seems like many see online discourse as some kind of insult contest. Who is keeping score in this contest? What do we win?
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Zaggie07

SLB

Post by SLB » December 23rd, 2019, 3:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm
Fun fact, I used to do per minute basketball stats among other stats threads, but some fools would wreck the thread of pure stats with some personal BS.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2019, 3:19 pm

By the way, I don't have time to read through every post on this board. Perhaps other mods on here do, but I can't speak for them. In fact, I visited the football forum for the first time since the bowl game today.

However, there is a "report post" feature on every post on this forum. If you feel that something needs to be moderated feel free to push that button and explain why you think it should be moderated. When the mods have time, they can wade through those reports and see if anything actually broke the rules. The rules can be seen here.

In general we try to not moderate these forums with an iron fist. If things get out of hand we will moderate it back to what it needs to be. I think we just hope people can act like adults and not grade school children resorting to childish name calling.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieZaggie07aceofspadeskb

SLB

Post by SLB » December 23rd, 2019, 3:21 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 3:19 pm
By the way, I don't have time to read through every post on this board. Perhaps other mods on here do, but I can't speak for them. In fact, I visited the football forum for the first time since the bowl game today.

However, there is a "report post" feature on every post on this forum. If you feel that something needs to be moderated feel free to push that button and explain why you think it should be moderated. When the mods have time, they can wade through those reports and see if anything actually broke the rules. The rules can be seen here.

In general we try to not moderate these forums with an iron fist. If things get out of hand we will moderate it back to what it needs to be. I think we just hope people can act like adults and not grade school children resorting to childish name calling.
I feel that treesap32 does a good job and a good dude. The concerns and issues have nothing to do with you.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 23rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

treesap32 wrote:

As a former mod who couldn't take it anymore, let me say thank you for sticking with it.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 23rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

USU78 wrote:
A failure of moderation.
I would love to moderate all of the posts around here. Delete them all!!!!!’

EDITED BY MANAGEMENT

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Definitely this. All of the moderators on here do it in their spare time and don't have time to read everything. Reported Posts show up as a notification and allow us to get right to the problem. When posts are reported they are reviewed and action is taken on it. If a post isn't reported it may not ever be seen by a moderator.

FireAg

Post by FireAg » December 23rd, 2019, 4:01 pm

‘‘Tis the season for the Festivus airing of grievances
These users thanked the author FireAg for the post (total 4):
TheAKAggieZaggie07sam tingeytreesap32

FireAg

Post by FireAg » December 23rd, 2019, 4:02 pm

Next will be the Feats of Strength
These users thanked the author FireAg for the post:
tinplater

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 23rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm
USU78 wrote:
A failure of moderation.
You should request a refund or demand that the moderators get a pay decrease. :noidea:
Chinese food?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 23rd, 2019, 5:04 pm

Mods thanks for all the time you put into this board.

Fact of the matter is the mods should not need to spend time moderating threads. We need to act like adalts on this board.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowatreesap32

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 23rd, 2019, 5:05 pm

I, and many others here, have repeatedly petitioned for a pay increase for the moderators, but we've been shut down every time by the people in charge.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAGinNEIowa

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

I've always said that a sports message board is like a public park, from time to time you are going to get the rowdy beer drinkers, the people lobbing profanities, the creepy dudes, the old biddies, the bird feeders, you name it. But I do like the "having your family over for the holiday's" analogy too. So which one of you guys is the crazy uncle? :joking: :lol:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessiontreesap32

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 8:07 pm

I thought you weren’t a fan of Big Moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by TheAKAggie on December 23rd, 2019, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
Zaggie07

Hail Aggies!

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » December 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 23rd, 2019, 9:08 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
FINALLY! Somebody got that the lack of "moderation" as used in the real world is precisely the problem around here.

Immoderate slamming of Aggies by other Aggies has been a serious problem since long before I moderated, what, ten years ago?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LKGates

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » December 23rd, 2019, 9:15 pm

USU78 wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
FINALLY! Somebody got that the lack of "moderation" as used in the real world is precisely the problem around here.

Immoderate slamming of Aggies by other Aggies has been a serious problem since long before I moderated, what, ten years ago?
So many layers to your original post and to my response. I get something different with each reading.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
USU78

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 24th, 2019, 6:22 am

Speaking of moderation... Do people think it’s okay to repeatedly bash our coaches on a public message board?

I’ll stop saying posts are “(I can't express myself without swearing)” but people also have to realize it’s not okay to slander coaches on a public message board. There’s family members, coaches, players, administration and recruits on this board.

Do you think Tania is at all interested in any of these posts over the last three days?

Stop moderating the term (I can't express myself without swearing) and start moderating blatant unrestricted negatively towards people who work for the university.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » December 24th, 2019, 7:23 am

I don't know what it is, but when folks get behind a computer screen they seem to feel detached, anonymous, and empowered at the same time. Discourse results that might never come out in a civil face to face conversation. What is going on here happens in all the online forums I participate in...photography, golf, travel. But we should try to be a little less sensitive to insult and a little more responsible in our posts. But the answer is certainly not having some individual clamping down on free discourse. Then we become the Deseret News.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 24th, 2019, 8:28 am

tinplater wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 7:23 am
I don't know what it is, but when folks get behind a computer screen they seem to feel detached, anonymous, and empowered at the same time. Discourse results that might never come out in a civil face to face conversation. What is going on here happens in all the online forums I participate in...photography, golf, travel. But we should try to be a little less sensitive to insult and a little more responsible in our posts. But the answer is certainly not having some individual clamping down on free discourse. Then we become the Deseret News.
Tinplater got this one spot on. Dignity with discourse is essential to a healthy board, and certainly we can disagree without being disagreeable if we stop and consider our posts.

MERRY CHRISTMAS all.

Locked Previous topicNext topic