Are we losing our Ethos?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Are we losing our Ethos?

Post by Sl7vk » December 24th, 2019, 9:59 am

To me, being an Aggie has always meant a lot of things, but primarily it meant having the courage and stiff upper lip to get up when we fall down. Losing is not something we've ever embraced, but it's never been something we've run away from either. Learning to lose, brush ourselves off and get better has always what has characterized the core ethos of being an Aggie for me.
It might have something to do with the toughness of those that grew up on farms in Cache Valley, or the small town rural nature of most of those that end up going to USU historically.
I look at my business interactions here in the Valley, and although anecdotal, the few Aggies I work with have by far out punched their weight professionally. I attribute that to being tough minded, learning from defeat, and always getting back on their feet. Winning is a terrible teacher, and it feels like we as Aggies are always in a position to learn.

Lately I've wondered if this ethos is falling apart. Mostly based on posts here, or interactions with younger Aggies that grew up in Salt Lake or the Wasatch front. The stiff upper lip seems to have been replaced with intolerable complaining which is really something unrecognizable to me.

Have we lost our ethos? Or is this ethos, just something that resided in my head, and never actually existed?

Go Aggies.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are we losing our Ethos?

Post by KissMyAg » December 24th, 2019, 10:50 am

We’ve always had some of this name calling and negativity but I’ve never seen it for a team that hauls off 7 wins.

I find it crazy that people can post so many negative things about the staff / admin and also turn around and report a post when it says “b1tchy”. What kind of a pu$$y does that?
Last edited by KissMyAg on December 24th, 2019, 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author KissMyAg for the post (total 3):
oleblu111BadElbowSl7vk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 24th, 2019, 10:53 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 9:59 am
To me, being an Aggie has always meant a lot of things, but primarily it meant having the courage and stiff upper lip to get up when we fall down. Losing is not something we've ever embraced, but it's never been something we've run away from either. Learning to lose, brush ourselves off and get better has always what has characterized the core ethos of being an Aggie for me.
It might have something to do with the toughness of those that grew up on farms in Cache Valley, or the small town rural nature of most of those that end up going to USU historically.
I look at my business interactions here in the Valley, and although anecdotal, the few Aggies I work with have by far out punched their weight professionally. I attribute that to being tough minded, learning from defeat, and always getting back on their feet. Winning is a terrible teacher, and it feels like we as Aggies are always in a position to learn.

Lately I've wondered if this ethos is falling apart. Mostly based on posts here, or interactions with younger Aggies that grew up in Salt Lake or the Wasatch front. The stiff upper lip seems to have been replaced with intolerable complaining which is really something unrecognizable to me.

Have we lost our ethos? Or is this ethos, just something that resided in my head, and never actually existed?

Go Aggies.
Well fans are very different some of us are fans of USU,some are fans of winning. There is a big difference a real fan will ask when things go bad what can I do to make things better. A 7 win season is not a great season but it is a good season, so I think those that complain are fans of being able hold pride as what has happened, not taking into mind that all USU athletic suffer as a result of fan support.

I would like to do better than a 7 win season and if we all want improvement we should ask what can I do to make things better. Improvement will not come from complaining on the message board.

Both major sports have over achieved. Congrats are in order.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Sl7vk

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm

An interesting thought. Thank you for getting us to think. Since ethos is the characteristics of a culture, maybe it is the culture that changes. I am 71; and have experienced winning and losing cultures in Aggie athletics. The ethos of those varying cultures vary...sometimes a lot. I think by now I have accepted the fact that at USU we are on a roller coaster of feelings, some with higher climbs towards the top (last years football, and especially basketball), and hoping we never sink into a multi year slide into oblivion as we did in football for most of the 80’s and 90’s.

But as I have always said...win or lose..I LOVE BEING AN AGGIE!!!!
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
oleblu111JSHarveySl7vk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 24th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Most likely the genesis for much turmoil was the under performance of our AGGIE football team this season. Most likely the 7 win season was under expectations, and the way we lost several blowout games generated questions and strong board disagreement.

Bottom line for me is, I am an AGGIE, always have been and always will be. If Utah State ceased to field basketball and football teams I would have no collegiate team to follow and little interest with intercollegiate sports. I even have a dog named AGGIE........... AGGIES TO THE CORE.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 24th, 2019, 2:13 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 1:32 pm
Most likely the genesis for much turmoil was the under performance of our AGGIE football team this season. Most likely the 7 win season was under expectations, and the way we lost several blowout games generated questions and strong board disagreement.

Bottom line for me is, I am an AGGIE, always have been and always will be. If Utah State ceased to field basketball and football teams I would have no collegiate team to follow and little interest with intercollegiate sports. I even have a dog named AGGIE........... AGGIES TO THE CORE.
:cheers: :rock: :rock: :rock:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Sl7vk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 24th, 2019, 2:20 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Im an aggie through and through. If we win great and if we lose you pick yourself up off the floor. I to have a dog named aggie.

The lows are low but the highs are through the roof. Just like in life sometimes are good and some are bad.

Never for the life of me will i complain about a 7 win season.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 24th, 2019, 4:13 pm

It was the blow out losses and screwing up the defense this year that has (some - me included) fans frustrated.

Seven wins is a respectable number, but *blow-out* losses to AFA, BYU, Boise, and a lost bowl game (with the lack luster motivation/desire/will on display) to Kent State are not.

I want to hear GA explain the defensive strategy (if there was one). And I want to hear what is going to be done differently next year.

Go Aggies!!!!
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
GUSNVAggie

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 24th, 2019, 4:24 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm
An interesting thought. Thank you for getting us to think. Since ethos is the characteristics of a culture, maybe it is the culture that changes. I am 71; and have experienced winning and losing cultures in Aggie athletics. The ethos of those varying cultures vary...sometimes a lot. I think by now I have accepted the fact that at USU we are on a roller coaster of feelings, some with higher climbs towards the top (last years football, and especially basketball), and hoping we never sink into a multi year slide into oblivion as we did in football for most of the 80’s and 90’s.

Good points. You’ve been at this far longer than me so much respect.
It just feels like we’ve gotten a bit soft recently. That the underbelly isn’t as firm as it once was.
Perhaps that is simply me showing my own old “manitude.”

A few colleagues have poked a bit of fun at me for going to Dallas and watching the team lose with my son. What I try to get them to understand is the trip, the lose, the pain are what makes us strong. My 11 year old learning to pick himself up, learning RESILIENCE is the best gift I can give him.

We are Aggies and we are better than rolling onto our backs lamenting how others have turned us into victims.

No F$&@ing way!
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
oleblu111tinplater

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 24th, 2019, 4:31 pm

I have decided to increase my donation to aggie football, because we only have 9 of the 10 coach's allowed by the NCAA. All the complaining on this board will do nothing to improve the product. Perhaps a donation might help.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
NVAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 24th, 2019, 9:49 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 4:31 pm
I have decided to increase my donation to aggie football, because we only have 9 of the 10 coach's allowed by the NCAA. All the complaining on this board will do nothing to improve the product. Perhaps a donation might help.
Yes, reach for our check books vs reaching for a keyboard. This makes sense opposed to generating conflict on the board.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 25th, 2019, 12:19 am

oleblu111 wrote:
Honestly message boards are where fans can give opinions and sometimes those opinions are negative. Guess what? Poor fans have the right to vent about the program same as rich fans. Expecting people on here to only say positive things isnt going to happen and basically saying "shut up and donate" doesnt work for a lot of people.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 25th, 2019, 6:35 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:19 am
oleblu111 wrote:
Honestly message boards are where fans can give opinions and sometimes those opinions are negative. Guess what? Poor fans have the right to vent about the program same as rich fans. Expecting people on here to only say positive things isnt going to happen and basically saying "shut up and donate" doesnt work for a lot of people.
I’m not asking people to only say positive things, I’m asking them to be respectful.

Just as much as it’s their right to bash a coach it’s my right to call them out on it.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 25th, 2019, 9:46 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 4:24 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Good points. You’ve been at this far longer than me so much respect.
It just feels like we’ve gotten a bit soft recently. That the underbelly isn’t as firm as it once was.
Perhaps that is simply me showing my own old “manitude.”

A few colleagues have poked a bit of fun at me for going to Dallas and watching the team lose with my son. What I try to get them to understand is the trip, the lose, the pain are what makes us strong. My 11 year old learning to pick himself up, learning RESILIENCE is the best gift I can give him.

We are Aggies and we are better than rolling onto our backs lamenting how others have turned us into victims.

No F$&@ing way!
Thanks.....and I love your points.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 25th, 2019, 11:33 am

As it should be.

Us to them: "Scorn and defiance; slight regard, contempt,
And any thing that may not misbecome
The mighty sender, do[ we] prize you at."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 25th, 2019, 11:28 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 6:35 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:19 am
oleblu111 wrote:
I’m not asking people to only say positive things, I’m asking them to be respectful.

Just as much as it’s their right to bash a coach it’s my right to call them out on it.
Absolutely. Any opinion should be countered with another opinion. I would say the "shut up or donate" crowd is off base. You dont need to be rich or giving thousands to the football program to be able to have an opinion about the status of the program.

Locked Previous topicNext topic