Transfer Portal Thread

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Transfer Portal Thread

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 30th, 2019, 10:37 am

I wanted to put in a single thread somewhere we can start discussing and looking at Grad Transfers as well as transfers in gernal. Based off how everything is playing out and Gary's past comments in interviews, I don't think it's any secret we're going to aggressively hit the transfer market. There will be plenty more names that enter the portal and a lot of guys these also will become eligible immediately but aren't eligible yet due to not graduating yet.

Link to portal list: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... ferPortal/

Here's some early names I've seen that have caught my eye:

Quinn Fabrizio, LB, Utah (Not sure on eligibility, didn't play this year)

Hirkley Latu, LB, BYU (Not sure on eligibility, didn't play this year)

Dee Anderson, WR, LSU (Eligible Immediately)

Je'Vari Anderson, LB, UCLA (Eligible Immediately)

I've also heard that at Utah, their RB Devontae Henry Cole is seriously considering a transfer due to playing time. He's one to watch for.

Chupamedia

Re: Transfer Portal Thread

Post by Chupamedia » December 30th, 2019, 10:44 am

We need a RB that will become a top priority

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 30th, 2019, 11:19 am

Latu is an interesting name to consider. I believe we recruited him out of HS.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 30th, 2019, 11:20 am

we did, we also recruited Fabrizio
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 30th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I believe we've passed on Hirkley Latu. But any kid that started out at Utah, is definitely in play. I have not heard a peep about us targeting any linebackers. At this point it's all about a grad transfer RB (which might not happen until summer), a pair of WRs who can help immediately (Grad Transfer or JuCo), a TE if they can find the right one, defensive line, defensive line and more defensive line, and a JuCo or grad transfer cornerback or safety.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 30th, 2019, 12:13 pm

JuCo WR Justin McGriff, who originally signed with Nebraska, is 100% in play. An official visit is definitely in the works.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2019, 12:31 pm

The LSU wr would be huge.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » December 30th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I think we may need two RBs and a couple WRs. One RB grad transfer, but we will need another young RB to develop. We will also want some young talent at WR to develop. Any chance this can happen?

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Here are some guys that stood out to me that could fill a need and have decent size and decent stats that I could see contributing on a team like Utah State.

Running Backs -

Wide Recievers -

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 30th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 12:52 pm
I think we may need two RBs and a couple WRs. One RB grad transfer, but we will need another young RB to develop. We will also want some young talent at WR to develop. Any chance this can happen?
We do not need another freshman RB. We just signed Elelyon Noa and Isaiah Afatasi. I think the immediate need for WR help is too great to add a freshman WR this year.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111thegreendalegelf

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 30th, 2019, 1:58 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Here are some guys that stood out to me that could fill a need and have decent size and decent stats that I could see contributing on a team like Utah State.

Running Backs -
Is Pettaway a grad transfer then?

On a related note, what happened with WV running game this year? Their leading rusher had less than 400 yards!

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 30th, 2019, 2:25 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 1:58 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Running Backs -
Is Pettaway a grad transfer then?

On a related note, what happened with WV running game this year? Their leading rusher had less than 400 yards!
He has played 4 years, but only got into 3 games as a freshman, so it doesn't count for a year of eligibility. So I guess that would mean he is a grad transfer. He would be able to play immediatly for 1 year, which would be good if we need a impact RB right away while the younger guys continue to grow and develop.

"Pettaway has rushed for 1,104 yards and 11 touchdowns in his West Virginia career."
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/12/16/west- ... er-portal/

I like this guy and one or two bad seasons and a team that is not good running the ball has decreased his stats. We should go after him!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » December 30th, 2019, 2:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Chupamedia wrote:
We do not need another freshman RB. We just signed Elelyon Noa and Isaiah Afatasi. I think the immediate need for WR help is too great to add a freshman WR this year.
Yeah - but I think we’ll find out soon we may need a replacement

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Chupamedia wrote:
Yeah - but I think we’ll find out soon we may need a replacement
A replacement what? PM me if you need to.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 30th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Are we looking at connections? Is this just a wish list?

From WKU (hoping Sanford & Woods have some sway- and that there is anything worth while)- but a lot of opportunity potentially.

WR:

(decent height to say the least)

RB:
(this is likely NOT a good fit as Baker was removed once by Sanford and was removed again by the current WKU coaching staff- but maybe Sanford knows how to keep him in check)
(would appear to be a really good get. If there is good blood, I'm hoping Sanford could work his magic)

LB:

CB:

There is nothing at BYU or Utah currently that has not been mentioned that interests me. However if we are playing the "wish list game" there are a lot of other intriguing prospects that we likely have no shot at...

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Are we looking at connections? Is this just a wish list?

From WKU (hoping Sanford & Woods have some sway- and that there is anything worth while)- but a lot of opportunity potentially.

WR:

(decent height to say the least)

RB:
(this is likely NOT a good fit as Baker was removed once by Sanford and was removed again by the current WKU coaching staff- but maybe Sanford knows how to keep him in check)
(would appear to be a really good get. If there is good blood, I'm hoping Sanford could work his magic)

LB:

CB:

There is nothing at BYU or Utah currently that has not been mentioned that interests me. However if we are playing the "wish list game" there are a lot of other intriguing prospects that we likely have no shot at...
Were any of these guys contributors at wku?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 30th, 2019, 8:36 pm

SLC,
Joshua Samuel only had 6 carries in 2019 but had 120 carries for 641 yards and a TD with a long of 60 averaging 5.3 yards. Unless there is bad blood, I think we might have a shot and those numbers aren't terrible.

Russell Brown looks to have converted to a CB from WR, but entered the portal as a WR. One of the LBs appears to be exactly in the Lavalle case, wanted to play LB but was listed as a DT.

I'm very interested in that RB, but I just posted all of the WKU players because there is a program connection. I would have done the same thing for BYU/Utah but they were either already posted or were irrelevant. (I think there was a BYU kicker and a Senior BYU QB that never played)

The main point is, is that wishlists are one thing- but to get guys from other FBS teams it helps to have a connection, either in-state or a former stomping ground of coaching staff members.

I think we'll get most of our transfer talent from JCs.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
slcagg

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 31st, 2019, 7:00 am

I heard on the radio (700 or 1280) that this years recruiting class has been disappointing thus far. Any truth to that?

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 31st, 2019, 8:20 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 12:10 pm
I believe we've passed on Hirkley Latu. But any kid that started out at Utah, is definitely in play. I have not heard a peep about us targeting any linebackers. At this point it's all about a grad transfer RB (which might not happen until summer), a pair of WRs who can help immediately (Grad Transfer or JuCo), a TE if they can find the right one, defensive line, defensive line and more defensive line, and a JuCo or grad transfer corner back or safety.
I recall we signed a good number of T Ends when Gary first arrived. That we are still looking for T End help tells me those we signed just didn't work out, are injured or were just poor judgement. I see the Transfer Portal as a crises relief vehicle to fill in for but one season a failure in prior recruiting needs.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 1st, 2020, 7:56 pm

Sounds like a star WR for Utah, Solomon Enis, is transferring. He’s retweeted Siaosi’s tweets about his increased production since transferring.

The thought is that that may have been the reason he wants to leave. He wants to go somewhere to get more production after seeing what Siaosi did.

I’m sure it won’t be to USU and will be to a bigger school, but it’s still interesting to note.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 7:56 pm
Sounds like a star WR for Utah, Solomon Enis, is transferring. He’s retweeted Siaosi’s tweets about his increased production since transferring.

The thought is that that may have been the reason he wants to leave. He wants to go somewhere to get more production after seeing what Siaosi did.

I’m sure it won’t be to USU and will be to a bigger school, but it’s still interesting to note.

You’re absolutely sure it won’t be usu?

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 1st, 2020, 8:07 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

He would be a perfect get considering what we need, but I doubt he comes here as he was highly touted out of high school and has great height. In addition, our offense will probably look more like Utah next year with less passing yards. Probably will be a little while until we get another receiver that gets over 900 yards like Mariner did. Mariner had Love.

He had LOTS of offers out of high school...
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Solom ... Interests/

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 1st, 2020, 8:12 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 8:07 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

He would be a perfect get considering what we need, but I doubt he comes here as he was highly touted out of high school and has great height. In addition, our offense will probably look more like Utah next year with less passing yards. Probably will be a little while until we get another receiver that gets over 900 yards like Mariner did. Mariner had Love.

He had LOTS of offers out of high school...
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Solom ... Interests/
Everyone keeps saying we're going to a Utah style offense, but I'm not convinced.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueAggiebrownjeans

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 1st, 2020, 8:21 pm

Our offense should/will look more like Boise in 2019. Pro style, but not run dependent.
Utah runs a spread that is run heavy. It's bizarre.
If Enis came to USU, wow.... just wow. Won't happen. I love Colombi throwing the ball next year. If we give him some options he'll be awesome!

BeNo

Post by BeNo » January 1st, 2020, 9:49 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Doubt he comes here too. Very telling on the increase in production for Siaosi with one year here versus 3 years there. Double the TDs. Definitely not a good WR recruiting story for the Swoopzz.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 2nd, 2020, 12:14 am

Pettaway from W. Va. is a good back. Is there any reason to think he’s interested, or just wishful thinking?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 2nd, 2020, 9:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 12:14 am
Pettaway from W. Va. is a good back. Is there any reason to think he’s interested, or just wishful thinking?
No, there's absolutely 0 reason at all to think he's interested and I'm positive he won't be coming to USU. I tried to throw out names I thought maybe had a little bit of a relevance with 0 sources on anything, but then all kinds of names just started getting thrown out.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:00 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
No, there's absolutely 0 reason at all to think he's interested and I'm positive he won't be coming to USU. I tried to throw out names I thought maybe had a little bit of a relevance with 0 sources on anything, but then all kinds of names just started getting thrown out.
Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ralph and Johnny. Since we're just throwing out all kinds of names. :) :)

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 2nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:00 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ralph and Johnny. Since we're just throwing out all kinds of names. :) :)
Since we are just throwing out names, how about Xmus, Tyroil, Jackmerius, T’Variusness, Swiruithan, J’Dinkalage, Shakiraquan, Ozamataz, Scoish, or my favorite from Boise, Donkey Teeth.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 3):
newtonianblueZaggie07sam tingey

bullshot

Post by bullshot » January 2nd, 2020, 5:33 pm

As far as names I do NOT want to see coming in as db’s and wr’s, please no Trevor’s, or Travis, or Bruce or Nephi’s.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 2nd, 2020, 6:29 pm

bullshot wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:33 pm
As far as names I do NOT want to see coming in as db’s and wr’s, please no Trevor’s, or Travis, or Bruce or Nephi’s.
I'm really curious about your personal apostrophe usage rules. Why put them in db's/wr's/trevor's/nephi's, but not Travis's or Bruce's?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 2nd, 2020, 8:24 pm

Back to the relevant topic at hand—this is interesting. I’m still skeptical, but it would be amazing.

https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/jus ... tah-state/

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:24 pm
Back to the relevant topic at hand—this is interesting. I’m still skeptical, but it would be amazing.

https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/jus ... tah-state/
Why would it be that crazy if he came here? He was so underutilized at Utah that I don’t know that he has the stats to get interest from somewhere better. Maybe Penn St? His dad is Curtis Enis of Penn St fame.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » January 2nd, 2020, 10:51 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:29 pm
bullshot wrote:
I'm really curious about your personal apostrophe usage rules. Why put them in db's/wr's/trevor's/nephi's, but not Travis's or Bruce's?

Just lazy with the auto correct function. To be clearer, let’s not have any new db’s or wr’s whose first names are Trevor, Travis, Bruce, or Nephi. Does that help?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 2nd, 2020, 11:36 pm

bullshot wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 10:51 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:29 pm
bullshot wrote:

Just lazy with the auto correct function. To be clearer, let’s not have any new db’s or wr’s whose first names are Trevor, Travis, Bruce, or Nephi. Does that help?
That help’s. ;)
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic