Boise fighting the MWC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Chod

Re: Boise fighting the MWC

Post by Chod » January 27th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 8:00 am
Let's be honest, Wyoming traveled better to Logan this year than Boise did.
Yes they did. Wyoming should be commended for the huge fan turnout in Logan. I was very disappointed in the low BSU fan turnout in their late game.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 27th, 2020, 2:50 pm

AngusAg wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:08 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm
Never underestimate how well the alumni of a trucker school will travel to support their football team.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
While I tend to agree with this sentiment there may not quite as much separation as we like to think.

From the US News Best Colleges website:

Boise State University is a public institution that was founded in 1932. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 22,064, its setting is city, and the campus size is 285 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Boise State University's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #293-#381. Its in-state tuition and fees are $8,068; out-of-state tuition and fees are $24,988.

Utah State University is a public institution that was founded in 1888. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 24,880, its setting is city, and the campus size is 450 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Utah State University's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #254. Its in-state tuition and fees are $7,659; out-of-state tuition and fees are $22,197.

For comparison here are the descriptions of the University of Idaho and the University of Utah.

University of Idaho is a public institution that was founded in 1889. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 9,568, its setting is rural, and the campus size is 810 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Idaho's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #179. Its in-state tuition and fees are $8,304; out-of-state tuition and fees are $27,540.

University of Utah is a public institution that was founded in 1850. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 24,743, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 1,535 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Utah's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104. Its in-state tuition and fees are $9,498; out-of-state tuition and fees are $30,132.

With respect to the actual topic of the thread I think Boise loses in court if they bring a suit now. The new deal still has them getting a bonus, that is what the agreement required. I doubt any other existing conference would be willing to give them any special deal. It's all bluff and bluster. JMO

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Agg-Man
Has thanked: 0

Post by Agg-Man » January 28th, 2020, 9:14 am

Chod wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Yes they did. Wyoming should be commended for the huge fan turnout in Logan. I was very disappointed in the low BSU fan turnout in their late game.
They may not have brought as many fans as before but the most disappointing aspect of that game was the mass exodus of Aggie fans at halftime. All that was left were the blue and orange clad fans. I was embarrassed as I sat with my Boise friends.

Agg-Man
Has thanked: 0

Post by Agg-Man » January 28th, 2020, 9:47 am

Agg-Man wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:14 am
Chod wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
They may not have brought as many fans as before but the most disappointing aspect of that game was the mass exodus of Aggie fans at halftime. All that was left were the blue and orange clad fans. I was embarrassed as I sat with my Boise friends.
Sorry, I know all fans do this if they are either crushing their opponent or getting crushed. This game was a bit personal and it just seemed that the early departure was salt in the wound.

I'll shut up now and get back to reading the thread topic - Love the Broncos or hate them, seems to me that if we swapped places with Boise, we'd be fighting for the same thing they are. Complacency breeds mediocrity.
These users thanked the author Agg-Man for the post:
oleblu111

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 28th, 2020, 10:04 am

Agg-Man wrote:
Chod wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
That was the first game I have ever left before the final whistle. Team quit and so did I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Hail Aggies!

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 28th, 2020, 11:44 am

JSHarvey wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 2:50 pm
AngusAg wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:08 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm
Never underestimate how well the alumni of a trucker school will travel to support their football team.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
While I tend to agree with this sentiment there may not quite as much separation as we like to think.

From the US News Best Colleges website:

Boise State University is a public institution that was founded in 1932. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 22,064, its setting is city, and the campus size is 285 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Boise State University's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #293-#381. Its in-state tuition and fees are $8,068; out-of-state tuition and fees are $24,988.

Utah State University is a public institution that was founded in 1888. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 24,880, its setting is city, and the campus size is 450 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Utah State University's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #254. Its in-state tuition and fees are $7,659; out-of-state tuition and fees are $22,197.

For comparison here are the descriptions of the University of Idaho and the University of Utah.

University of Idaho is a public institution that was founded in 1889. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 9,568, its setting is rural, and the campus size is 810 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Idaho's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #179. Its in-state tuition and fees are $8,304; out-of-state tuition and fees are $27,540.

University of Utah is a public institution that was founded in 1850. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 24,743, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 1,535 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Utah's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104. Its in-state tuition and fees are $9,498; out-of-state tuition and fees are $30,132.

With respect to the actual topic of the thread I think Boise loses in court if they bring a suit now. The new deal still has them getting a bonus, that is what the agreement required. I doubt any other existing conference would be willing to give them any special deal. It's all bluff and bluster. JMO
I really doubt many real people would consider University of Idaho to be a better academic institution than USU, especially that much higher, or that BSU has crept that high from being in the regional category previously. When you look at some of the other schools higher on the list, it really makes the ranking questionable. Are the Colorado School of Mines and Elon University really the 84th best colleges in the country? Or is University of California - Merced, which was only created in 2005 really tied as 104th best university?

As it relates to BSU, the AAC is probably not too worried about BSU's academic standing but the P5 conferences can rely on BSU's lack of academic standing as a basis alone to deny membership. Should the AAC extend an invitation to BSU, which would probably be for football only (but I seriously doubt they would given the logistics and the travel expenses that would result), BSU would probably accept it to its financial detriment as well as the detriment to all other sports.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
JSHarvey

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 28th, 2020, 11:49 am

I attended the Boise game with another long term, absolute AGGIE fan and booster. We watched the game from the shelter of the west side, weren't subject to the brutal weather most of the stadium fans were suffering through, and yet we did indeed leave at half time..

I've stayed through blow out home games before, all the way through. Factors influencing our half time departure were first, 1- Late Starting time, 2- Very poor AGGIE performance, 3- Travel time back to Sandy. I didn't even address the pedestrian preparation and lack of real time adjustments which didn't do a thing for my outlook that night. I have hope for next season and better game strategy along with able real time playing adjustments.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Agg-Man wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:47 am
Agg-Man wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:14 am
Chod wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Sorry, I know all fans do this if they are either crushing their opponent or getting crushed. This game was a bit personal and it just seemed that the early departure was salt in the wound.

I'll shut up now and get back to reading the thread topic - Love the Broncos or hate them, seems to me that if we swapped places with Boise, we'd be fighting for the same thing they are. Complacency breeds mediocrity.
I feel for you my friend. I don't usually leave early, but I told my kids if that was the effort the team was going to show that night then I was not staying and putting forth any effort to cheer.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » February 7th, 2020, 9:26 am

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » February 7th, 2020, 9:44 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 9:26 am
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I hate this, though. And I disagree that it's in both sides' best interest.
I wish the conference would have kept the fight on. They must've been advised they weren't going to win in court? Or BSU found a legit strategy to exit the conference and were threatening to do so? Why else would they cave like this?

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 7th, 2020, 10:01 am

I think this is the best move for both. Our conference is much better respected and gets a better TV deal with Boise here. Boise keeps its non-football sports in a better conference and doesn't run the risks of indy by staying in the MW (I don't think the AAC was a legit option for them.) Its not a perfect relationship, but its what works best for both.

I think Boise had a strong case for the 1.8 mil. I don't think they had a case for the increased revenue that they apparently wanted.

Im glad that this didn't escalate.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » February 7th, 2020, 10:03 am

Hopefully at the end of this 6 year agreement the conference will still refuse any special treatment going forward. No need to mess up the current contract for something that will happen 6 years down the road.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post (total 5):
thegreendalegelfBigBlueDartFullsneedZaggie07

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 7th, 2020, 10:42 am

I can swallow this pill, but it is still a pill. Boise is better for the conference, but preferential treatment of them rapidly erodes the long-term benefit. An uneven playing field only helps them perpetuate the situation. Any time a Boise fan wants to complain about the rest of the conference bringing them down I think this is the right point to bring up.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 8th, 2020, 10:04 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 10:01 am
I think this is the best move for both. Our conference is much better respected and gets a better TV deal with Boise here. Boise keeps its non-football sports in a better conference and doesn't run the risks of indy by staying in the MW (I don't think the AAC was a legit option for them.) Its not a perfect relationship, but its what works best for both.

I think Boise had a strong case for the 1.8 mil. I don't think they had a case for the increased revenue that they apparently wanted.

Im glad that this didn't escalate.
I would suspect that if Boise really had intentions, ability and the invitation to go, they would have been GONE BY NOW. This Boise bluff will likely play poorly in the presidential offices of the rest of the MWC. There must be better solutions available.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » February 9th, 2020, 10:53 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 10:42 am
I can swallow this pill, but it is still a pill. Boise is better for the conference, but preferential treatment of them rapidly erodes the long-term benefit. An uneven playing field only helps them perpetuate the situation. Any time a Boise fan wants to complain about the rest of the conference bringing them down I think this is the right point to bring up.
You assume that BSU fans are rational. When talking to BSU fans I do bring this up as well as the point that MW is only conference that doesn’t share equal revenue. I might as well be talking to a wall or my 9 month old daughter because most BSU fans can’t get it through their thick skulls how the uneven system is favoring BSU and hurting the conference. So good luck 😀

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 10th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I believe this decision goes beyond fan frenzy, and quiet legal opinions along with Presidential endorsements prevailed. Suspect this fight will be renewed in less than six (6) years. Kicking the can down road set the stage for another noisy dogfight in late 2015 or early 2016.

It is also possible that another league formation was in the wind, and this move may well have postponed a Bronco move for years. If the school in Provo had aspirations of involving themselves in a newly formed conference, this present arrangement should put those plans on ice.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » February 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm

I hope the tater zoobs falter and have some down seasons...by their standards...in these next 6 years which I would think would only help ours and the MWC's cause in regards to leveling the playing field.

Then I also hope by that same 2025 date..or sooner...that the original zoobies athletic programs get Bednar'd...and cause no more turmoil for the rest of the MWC.

A boy can dream can't he....

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 10th, 2020, 7:05 pm

breadysmith wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm
I hope the tater zoobs falter and have some down seasons...by their standards...in these next 6 years which I would think would only help ours and the MWC's cause in regards to leveling the playing field.

Then I also hope by that same 2025 date..or sooner...that the original zoobies athletic programs get Bednar'd...and cause no more turmoil for the rest of the MWC.

A boy can dream can't he....
I can get behind this as long as there are several other teams that step up on the national stage. Preferably the Aggies included among that group.

Aggies All the Way!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 11th, 2020, 10:49 am

Just in time for Valentines day!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

We're back together

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic