JLove: Combine Measurables

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

JLove: Combine Measurables

Post by Madmartigan » February 24th, 2020, 9:56 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... -measured/

Those hands. My prediction is he goes top 15. My preferred landing spot in that arena is Indianapolis. I'll bet he runs a 4.8-4.9 40 and impresses in interviews. He's a great kid and deserves all the success that comes his way.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Re: JLove: Combine Measurables

Post by tipitup » February 24th, 2020, 10:54 am

boy i would hate to have my stock drop because my hands were under 9"

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » February 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm

My hands are 9"...around...you think about that

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 25th, 2020, 11:26 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
Machismo

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 25th, 2020, 11:47 am

I laugh when people pay so much attention to measureables. I am not saying you can completely ignore them, but I am not sure you can place a lot of stock in them. I look at Burrow having smaller hands, but if you watched him play the guy is a complete baller.

I look at Russel Wilson and his measureables were not going to wow anyone especially his height. Look at him now and he is awesome. One thing these tests don't show is someone's heart and drive.

I hope Jordan continues to impress as he has a great opportunity in front of him not just to represent himself/family, but improve the optics nationally of Utah State.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 25th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 11:47 am
I laugh when people pay so much attention to measureables. I am not saying you can completely ignore them, but I am not sure you can place a lot of stock in them. I look at Burrow having smaller hands, but if you watched him play the guy is a complete baller.

I look at Russel Wilson and his measureables were not going to wow anyone especially his height. Look at him now and he is awesome. One thing these tests don't show is someone's heart and drive.

I hope Jordan continues to impress as he has a great opportunity in front of him not just to represent himself/family, but improve the optics nationally of Utah State.
Go pull up Tom Brady's combine videos if you want a chuckle. He definitely did not have the measureables for an NFL quarterback.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 25th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

Go pull up Tom Brady's combine videos if you want a chuckle. He definitely did not have the measureables for an NFL quarterback.
I find it funny when people point out the exception to the rule and use it as a "debunker". It's not 100% cut and dried rule but in general,QBs with the right measurables and tools fair much better in the NFL than successful college QB's who didn't have them.

In general the NFL is filled with >6'3" QB's with big hands and guys who were undersized just didn't make it. (And BTW, Tom Brady is 6'4.5".)
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
2004AGusufan1aggies22donlarson8

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 25th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I find it funny when people point out the exception to the rule and use it as a "debunker". It's not 100% cut and dried rule but in general,QBs with the right measurables and tools fair much better in the NFL than successful college QB's who didn't have them.

In general the NFL is filled with >6'3" QB's with big hands and guys who were undersized just didn't make it. (And BTW, Tom Brady is 6'4.5".)
I wanna pull my hair out when people do that on here... “but but Bobby Wagner was a one star recruit, so therefore recruiting rankings don’t matter.” “But but Jaycee Carroll.......”

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
donlarson8utaggies

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 25th, 2020, 12:55 pm

what a crappy ending to a nice article

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/stor ... n-anything

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 25th, 2020, 1:14 pm

jpswensen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 12:55 pm
what a crappy ending to a nice article

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/stor ... n-anything
I know I saw that! That is honestly so dumb. Did not need to include it.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 25th, 2020, 1:37 pm

There are plenty of people walking the streets with amazing measurables that can't play QB worth a damn. A few were even drafted with high expectations. Here's a fun walk down memory lane on past QBs who the NFL thought would be great: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/104 ... ry#slide50

In short, measurables are definitely a thing, but they're not THE thing. That and it's way hard to make it in the NFL as a starting QB regardless of measurables and even the professionals have difficulty predicting who can make it as an NFL starter for more than 5 seasons.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 25th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Joe Burrow had one thing JLove didn't have... an entire bench full of great WR's and OLine men. :notworthy:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 25th, 2020, 1:49 pm

There are plenty of people walking the streets with amazing measurables that can't play QB worth a damn. A few were even drafted with high expectations. Here's a fun walk down memory lane on past QBs who the NFL thought would be great: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/104 ... ry#slide50

In short, measurables are definitely a thing, but they're not THE thing. That and it's way hard to make it in the NFL as a starting QB regardless of measurables and even the professionals have difficulty predicting who can make it as an NFL starter for more than 5 seasons.
HOLLY CRAP - my son's former FB coach made the list:

8. Akili Smith
43 OF 50
Drafted: Round 1, 3rd Overall, 1999

The Bengals have a history of bad luck with quarterbacks. Smith might be the last one that was a huge bust, but he had a forgettable career with the Bengals.

He had a small sample size in college (one full season), but he was athletic and considered a two-sport star (he was a blue-chip baseball prospect too). All that athleticism, however, was teamed with a terrible ability to mentally prepare and grasp a playbook.

The Bengals could have traded this pick, but ended up staying put to draft Smith. They also get yet another spot on this list.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » February 25th, 2020, 2:01 pm

ViAggie wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:49 pm

HOLLY CRAP - my son's former FB coach made the list:

8. Akili Smith
43 OF 50
Drafted: Round 1, 3rd Overall, 1999

The Bengals have a history of bad luck with quarterbacks. Smith might be the last one that was a huge bust, but he had a forgettable career with the Bengals.

He had a small sample size in college (one full season), but he was athletic and considered a two-sport star (he was a blue-chip baseball prospect too). All that athleticism, however, was teamed with a terrible ability to mentally prepare and grasp a playbook.

The Bengals could have traded this pick, but ended up staying put to draft Smith. They also get yet another spot on this list.
1999 was rough for 1st round QBs. 3 of those dudes were massive NFL busts:
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith
Dante Culpepper
Cade McNown

And I forgot about this:
"McNown did manage to get himself banned from the Playboy mansion and to steal Tim Couch's Playmate girlfriend (separate incidents), tarnishing his squeaky clean image in the process. Silver lining: Couch got his girlfriend back and married her."

Winning on and off the field ;-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/th ... _blog.html

Go Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 25th, 2020, 2:25 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I wanna pull my hair out when people do that on here... “but but Bobby Wagner was a one star recruit, so therefore recruiting rankings don’t matter.” “But but Jaycee Carroll.......”

Yes, yes!!!! Those people are awful. They are even worse than the people that get all militant and critical of other people's opinions and observations, when they express them, and tell them how wrong they are.

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm

I hope Love proves me wrong and goes in the 1st. Just for the record, no way the Raiders draft him in the 1st. Gruden doesn't like rookie QB's as mentioned above. He could be a good understudy to Carr. but that's as a 3rd or 4th round pick. I doubt he's around that long. The Carr brothers have known Jordan since he was 10 years old and are giving him great reviews. They are very positive about Love's potential.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

Russell Wilson actually has huge hands and so does Drew Brees. NFL balls are huge and slippery so hand size does make a difference when passing. I don't necessarily think it makes or breaks a QB's career, but it is much easier to throw a spiral with larger hands rather than smaller.

Brees is typically listed at around 6ft and yet has 10.25in hands, while Wilson (5ft 11in) also has 10.25in hands.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 25th, 2020, 6:35 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

Russell Wilson actually has huge hands and so does Drew Brees. NFL balls are huge and slippery so hand size does make a difference when passing. I don't necessarily think it makes or breaks a QB's career, but it is much easier to throw a spiral with larger hands rather than smaller.

Brees is typically listed at around 6ft and yet has 10.25in hands, while Wilson (5ft 11in) also has 10.25in hands.

Is an nfl ball bigger than a college ball? I have no idea it is or not.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 25th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 6:35 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

Is an nfl ball bigger than a college ball? I have no idea it is or not.
Yeah but they are just harder and more slick. They almost feel like they wax on them.

“In overall circumference, college footballs can be up to 1 1/4 inches smaller than NFL footballs. To get into the weeds, the circumference of college footballs ranges from 20 3/4 inches to 21 1/4 inches lengthwise from end to end, versus 21 inches to 21 1/4 inches in the NFL”

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 25th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I’ve heard a lot of the reason the teams are obsessed with hand size is more of the fumble factor. They think guys with bigger hands fumble less. I’m not sure if there are stats to back that up but I’ve read a few times that’s a big reason they pay attention to that measure.

agster
Has thanked: 0

Post by agster » February 26th, 2020, 7:58 am

Good point. I don't remember Love fumbling much.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 26th, 2020, 9:33 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 6:50 pm
I’ve heard a lot of the reason the teams are obsessed with hand size is more of the fumble factor. They think guys with bigger hands fumble less. I’m not sure if there are stats to back that up but I’ve read a few times that’s a big reason they pay attention to that measure.
Larger hands make for a more convincing pump fake on a throw, too. That is related to the ball security you are talking about.

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 26th, 2020, 11:44 am

This hand size discussion has me thinking of Dave Krieg. He was the QB of the Seahawks around the same time Montana played. Krieg was a good QB. He also had small hands and I think he has the NFL record for most fumbles in a career.

edit: Looked it up Krieg is 3rd all time in fumbles. Favre is 2nd, Moon is 1st. Probably matters how long you played. Krieg played in 213 games during his career and had 153 fumbles (yikes). Moon 208 games and 161 fumbles (double yikes). Favre 302 games and 166 fumbles.

I loved Dave Krieg. No other QB seemed able to deliver anguish and joy in rapid succession the way he could. In 1990 vs KC he was sacked 9 times - 7 alone by Derrick Thomas. One time he fumbled and it was taken in for a TD. Then on the final play of the game, Krieg ducked Thomas, on what would have been Thomas' 8th sack, and threw a TD to win the game 17 to 16. The guy was great, and made me crazy all in the same breath.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 26th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Someone should write a book about all these Outliers!

Hail Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 26th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I agree that are physical traits that can be measured and quantified that yield a higher potential for success. I posted a link a while back that is relevant here:

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 75#p614875

The upstart Dallas Cowboys pioneered the art of statistic analysis of physical traits in their recruiting process. This concept converted them from a disadvantaged expansion team to one of the most dominant teams in the league in less than two decades. It is also how they found a basketball player in Logan, Utah and drafted him to play football.

Just as interesting are the stories of the underdog - the guy that doesn't have the prototypical measurables - that succeeds on smarts, grit, toughness, and a desire to win.

Eutaw St. Aggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 26th, 2020, 9:20 pm

There might not even be a season for j love to be drafted into if this keeps moving the same direction. Sounds like players are tired of having the worst contracts out of MLB, NBA, and NFL They really do get the worst reward for the highest risk in those sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -deal/amp/

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Why didn't Jordan run a 40 yard dash?

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 27th, 2020, 5:06 pm

You know what they say about a man with big hands?

He wears big gloves....

These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
NVAggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 5:06 pm
You know what they say about a man with big hands?

He wears big gloves....

Good at slapping high fives too.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 27th, 2020, 6:10 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm
Why didn't Jordan run a 40 yard dash?
Jordan has still not gone yet. The tight ends went first and did the 40 and then some catching/blocking drills. Then, the next group was half of the QBs and WRs, including Herbert, Hurts, Fromm, and Eason. They are currently doing passing drills and they are almost done....at least I think so since they have been out there a while. Jordan Love is in the second half of the QB and WR groups. IDK who he is with though cause not sure what other QBs are in the combine. But, lots of the big time WRs are in his group, including Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

So, if you want to watch Jordan run the 40 and run through drills you still can. It is on NFL Network!

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 27th, 2020, 7:07 pm

I guess that makes sense. The spilt up QBs and WRs into groups for the passing catching drills. Once I saw the WRs going I thought QBs we’re finished.

Locked Previous topicNext topic