2020 WR's

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEinIOWA

2020 WR's

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 4th, 2020, 9:50 am

I've enjoyed the frequent articles regarding the position groups that Des News has been putting out. This recent one on the wide receivers got me thinking about our situation for the upcoming season.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/3/3 ... in-mcgriff

Mariner and Repp were a one year godsend last year. Mariner really carried us at times. We have a few decent pieces returning but I'm still worried about this position. Nathan, Thompson, and to an extent Compton are known commodities and will fill a play making role but I don't see a Siosi, Tarver, Greene type of outside receiver on the roster.

The article says Sean Carter is slated to play outside opposite Scarver. I'm concerned about that. Hopefully Scarver becomes that complete and dependable wide out for his senior year, but who knows. Sean Carter is completely unproven. Even in JC and HS he didn't have many catches. I don't see him suddenly becoming our go-to guy on the outside.

From all accounts, McGriff sounds like he should help but is unproven. Article also mentions Ajani and Patrick showing potential. I agree about Ajani and think his role will increase beyond special teams, which is what we used him for primarily last year. I haven't seen enough out of Patrick to know.

Personally I liked what I saw out of Derek Wright and wasn't sure why we didn't use him more. I anticipate him getting more significant opportunities than just mop up time. He did seem to have good chemistry with Columbi when they were on the field together.

There are a few RS Freshmen that haven't seen the field yet, such as Eaton, Merrill, and Van Leeuwen. Maybe they all develop into good players but can't expect them to be difference makers this year.

Let's cross our fingers for another late proven transfer addition like Mariner and Greene. That would really help our cause as I think our young/inexperienced QB's will need some dependable guys on the outside. Anyone know if we have any in our sites?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: 2020 WR's

Post by brownjeans » March 4th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I felt Mariner was both good, and frustrating. I think five of Love's picks this season were balls thrown to Mariner where Mariner didn't use his body to protect the ball (shield the defender from it).

Overall, he was a great addition, but it's a small thing to be better at. Just step to the ball, move so that your body is in the way of the DB. Anyway, it's a minor thing maybe, but I found it frustrating.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 9:50 am
Personally I liked what I saw out of Derek Wright and wasn't sure why we didn't use him more. I anticipate him getting more significant opportunities than just mop up time. He did seem to have good chemistry with Columbi when they were on the field together.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
aggies22

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 4th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Did Ajani Carter get moved back to WR from Safety?

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 4th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Having a better offensive line next year is going to gain us more than any single WR will.
I'm cautiously optimistic at this stage.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 4th, 2020, 6:54 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Yes, the plan is for him to play WR.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2020, 11:49 pm

GeoAg wrote:
I don't think he was ever actually officially moved. I think it was just an idea that was being kicked around.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 5th, 2020, 7:59 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 11:49 pm
GeoAg wrote:
I don't think he was ever actually officially moved. I think it was just an idea that was being kicked around.
It was a bad idea.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic