Football Season Is In Jeopardy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Football Season Is In Jeopardy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 20th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Just putting this out here now so we can be prepared. I have to think at this point having a football season is in question.

Intermeddler

Re: Football Season Is In Jeopardy

Post by Intermeddler » March 20th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Unless an effective anti viral treatment is found (and it looks like there are a few promising candidates but who knows), I don’t see major sporting events happening again until Fall 2021.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2020, 5:03 pm

We have a "thank you" button for posts we appreciate but where the hell is the "no thanks" button?? But I still love you both my Aggie brothers!
Last edited by aggies22 on March 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
IntermeddlersneedProvoAggieaceofspadeskbsstrasser

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 20th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I'll say right now that I hope we give up alot of passing yards to Washington State this year. Cause the virus cancelling the season would be the ONLY way we don't have up any passing yards to them. On the other hand, holding them no or very few rushing yards could happen either way!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 20th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Appears a viable countermeasure for the Wuhan virus is pending..even imminent. Many mitigating factors to counter this virus are in play at this time, and the politicians seem to be on a rare moment of considering what is best for our nation vs. what is best for their party. I expect to see a full football season followed by a complete basketball season.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

blueblood

Post by blueblood » March 20th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Hopefully it’s not an I Am Legend type of countermeasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author blueblood for the post (total 2):
aggies22Jjoey52

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 20th, 2020, 8:04 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Appears a viable countermeasure for the Wuhan virus is pending..even imminent. Many mitigating factors to counter this virus are in play at this time, and the politicians seem to be on a rare moment of considering what is best for our nation vs. what is best for their party. I expect to see a full football season followed by a complete basketball season.
Where are you seeing that? I haven't seen anything even remotely suggesting that a viable countermeasure is pending. At this point, all anybody can say is next year at this time would be best case scenario.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 20th, 2020, 8:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 8:04 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Where are you seeing that? I haven't seen anything even remotely suggesting that a viable countermeasure is pending. At this point, all anybody can say is next year at this time would be best case scenario.
There have been several small scale trials of several different drugs that have been effective at reducing the spread and severity of covid 19 and they’re doing clinical and double blind testing now

So there’s some hope but it’s certainly not pending

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 20th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 8:35 pm
2004AG wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
There have been several small scale trials of several different drugs that have been effective at reducing the spread and severity of covid 19 and they’re doing clinical and double blind testing now

There's also the recent human trial on an inoculation.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm

USU78 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

There's also the recent human trial on an inoculation.
But still a year away at the soonest.....

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 20th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

I read today that a drug used for malaria treatment will stop the virus from replicating/progressing - which gives the body's immune system time to defeat it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 20th, 2020, 10:16 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

I read today that a drug used for malaria treatment will stop the virus from replicating/progressing - which gives the body's immune system time to defeat it.
There’s a few. A malaria drug, an anti viral that was initially developed to treat Ebola I believe that some think will work and some HIV drugs that have worked in Asia. There’s also some reports that zinc and something else have been used with success in South Korea

So who knows hopefully one is proven effective enough to allow life to inch back to normal
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
USU78

bullshot

Post by bullshot » March 21st, 2020, 6:59 am

One good sign. There have been no new cases in China (at least that is what they are reporting). So experts are saying the virus has run its course there, similar to a flu virus that tends to be less virulent over the course of time and when warmer weather settles in. Still a concern as China instituted the regional lock down measures almost 2 months ago.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 21st, 2020, 7:33 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Appears a viable countermeasure for the Wuhan virus is pending..even imminent. Many mitigating factors to counter this virus are in play at this time, and the politicians seem to be on a rare moment of considering what is best for our nation vs. what is best for their party. I expect to see a full football season followed by a complete basketball season.
The Coronavirus is a long ways away from being treated with medicine.

Politicians will do whatever it takes to save their own skin, they are the problem not the solution. Look at how some enriched themselves at the first sign of trouble. Was that in the best interest of the country? If they really cared they would Gages stopped playing grab (I can't express myself without swearing) with impeachment and taken serious measures at the end of last year when this was obviously becoming a global problem.

It is our local leaders that are taking action and trying to figure this thing out and keep us safe. The federal government is a mess.

We will get through this because Americans a tough, gritty, and resilient.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 21st, 2020, 8:30 am

bullshot wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 6:59 am
One good sign. There have been no new cases in China (at least that is what they are reporting). So experts are saying the virus has run its course there, similar to a flu virus that tends to be less virulent over the course of time and when warmer weather settles in. Still a concern as China instituted the regional lock down measures almost 2 months ago.
One caution: the spanish flu kind of peaked in the spring of 1918, went away in the summer months, and then came back with a vengeance in the fall/winter the next year. That scenario is a possibility with this virus as well.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 21st, 2020, 9:06 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 7:33 am
Define "treated" because it's already being treated and it seems to be having success. https://www.ksl.com/article/46732814/he ... t-covid-19
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 21st, 2020, 9:38 am

Just remember who predicted this first

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 21st, 2020, 11:19 am

Been on that med for years. If I get covid, all bets are off.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 21st, 2020, 1:34 pm

bullshot wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 6:59 am
Normally I'd like to see two sources, but if one of them is China itself then I'd like to see four.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 4):
USU78BLUERUFiONavyBlueAggiesneed

Nobody here knows anything.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:38 am
Broken clock himself.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
NVAggie

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 22nd, 2020, 9:18 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm
ViAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:38 am
Broken clock himself.
Agree let’s hope I’m wrong

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » March 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

It has taken about 3 months for china to see a downturn in the virus, that would put us in june. I could see all college football push back opening day by 2-3 weeks and still get a full season in.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 22nd, 2020, 2:13 pm

I don't think it's just the football season that's in jeopardy. I think the possibility of having anybody in campus or holding classes until we get through next winter is a real possibility

Eutaw St. Aggie

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 22nd, 2020, 2:28 pm

mike1126 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm
It has taken about 3 months for china to see a downturn in the virus, that would put us in june. I could see all college football push back opening day by 2-3 weeks and still get a full season in.
Yeah but china is stil in lockdown, if they go back to normal now then the thing will spread again and it will be a disaster again. This will last a while. I'm no expert but a year from now maybe.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 10:18 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:06 am
dyedblue wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 7:33 am
Define "treated" because it's already being treated and it seems to be having success. https://www.ksl.com/article/46732814/heres-what ... t-covid-19
Good catch brownjeans... Yes, there actually are countermeasures being evaluated and some of these with human volunteers as participants. Additionally, per the article you referenced, there are hopes of certain progress toward neutralizing the progress of the Wuhan virus. Certainly no successful banner being flow, yet with such a problem in so many nations there is a world wide effort to achieve a solution...this time around.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 12:11 pm

I know I posted this in the sandbox, but there are apparently families sending their kids to Utah State, Utah, Weber State, BYU, Snow, SUU, or Dixie State that don't care if their kids have football games to go to. And even if their kids just go to the football games for the social aspect, don't care if there are games for them to go to for that. Or if their kids still in high school have sports to play or games to go to. Or are able to have musical performances. Or eat at restaurants.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 24th, 2020, 12:48 am

Mark Cuban thinks the NBA will resume before June 1. Not sure who he’s talking to or if it’s just hopeful speculation on his part but would bode well for football season if he’s right.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » March 24th, 2020, 6:58 am

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 24th, 2020, 7:35 am

I respectfully disagree with this assertion our Football season is in jeopardy.. There are currently flu countermeasures in play, being reviewed, accepted and applied. Additionally, we just can't shut down a nations economy, period, and wiser heads have seen that.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
Machismoaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

GordoAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 6:58 am
Coach Whitt says it's on the table
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... balls-kyle
What does that fool know? He can't even figure out how to keep an offensive coordinator longer than a season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
GordoAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 24th, 2020, 10:22 am

Can Universities put their coaches on temp leave and not pay them if the season is kaput? I bet attorneys would be interested to know this too... too bad civil courts are shuttered for the time.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 24th, 2020, 10:49 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:22 am
Can Universities put their coaches on temp leave and not pay them if the season is kaput? I bet attorneys would be interested to know this too... too bad civil courts are shuttered for the time.
I would think they would have a force majuere clause in the contract. Not sure on NCAA, but here's an article relating to NBA contracts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbus ... tracts.amp

Could get interesting, legally speaking

Go Aggies!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 24th, 2020, 11:15 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 7:35 am
I respectfully disagree with this assertion our Football season is in jeopardy.. There are currently flu countermeasures in play, being reviewed, accepted and applied. Additionally, we just can't shut down a nations economy, period, and wiser heads have seen that.
Not sure how anyone thinks there is an economy to reopen if the virus is running rampant and overwhelming hospitals. Without solving the epidemic there is no economy. Simple as that.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 24th, 2020, 11:40 am

Intermeddler wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Not sure how anyone thinks there is an economy to reopen if the virus is running rampant and overwhelming hospitals. Without solving the epidemic there is no economy. Simple as that.
Well then we are beyond F’ed because there is no stopping it for at least a year.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 24th, 2020, 11:59 am

2004AG wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:40 am
Intermeddler wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Well then we are beyond F’ed because there is no stopping it for at least a year.

Disagree. Reducing the R0 and implementing wide enough testing that tracing contacts is feasible is a way back to normal without a vaccine. A handful of countries have done social distancing, reduced cases, and have opened things up but they’ve all done extensive testing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic