Football Season Is In Jeopardy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Machismo

Re: Football Season Is In Jeopardy

Post by Machismo » March 24th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:59 am
2004AG wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:40 am
Intermeddler wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 7:35 am
I respectfully disagree with this assertion our Football season is in jeopardy.. There are currently flu countermeasures in play, being reviewed, accepted and applied. Additionally, we just can't shut down a nations economy, period, and wiser heads have seen that.
Not sure how anyone thinks there is an economy to reopen if the virus is running rampant and overwhelming hospitals. Without solving the epidemic there is no economy. Simple as that.
Well then we are beyond F’ed because there is no stopping it for at least a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree. Reducing the R0 and implementing wide enough testing that tracing contacts is feasible is a way back to normal without a vaccine. A handful of countries have done social distancing, reduced cases, and have opened things up but they’ve all done extensive testing.
Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

Three weeks later, Levitt told the China Daily News that the virus' rate of growth had peaked. He predicted that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in China would end up around 80,000, with about 3,250 deaths.

This forecast turned out to be remarkably accurate: As of March 16, China had counted a total of 80,298 cases and 3,245 deaths — in a nation of nearly 1.4 billion people where roughly 10 million die every year. The number of newly diagnosed patients has dropped to around 25 a day, with no cases of community spread reported since Wednesday.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-laurea ... 18391.html

Birx: US has done more testing in 8 days than South Korea in 8 weeks

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... in-8-weeks

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 25th, 2020, 12:29 am

The recovery plan announced by Governor Herbert today calls for up to 26 weeks of social distancing. Kiss football season goodbye if that’s the case.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 25th, 2020, 5:50 am

Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
I respectfully disagree with this assertion our Football season is in jeopardy.. There are currently flu countermeasures in play, being reviewed, accepted and applied. Additionally, we just can't shut down a nations economy, period, and wiser heads have seen that.
Not sure how anyone thinks there is an economy to reopen if the virus is running rampant and overwhelming hospitals. Without solving the epidemic there is no economy. Simple as that.
Well then we are beyond F’ed because there is no stopping it for at least a year.

Disagree. Reducing the R0 and implementing wide enough testing that tracing contacts is feasible is a way back to normal without a vaccine. A handful of countries have done social distancing, reduced cases, and have opened things up but they’ve all done extensive testing.
Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

Three weeks later, Levitt told the China Daily News that the virus' rate of growth had peaked. He predicted that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in China would end up around 80,000, with about 3,250 deaths.

This forecast turned out to be remarkably accurate: As of March 16, China had counted a total of 80,298 cases and 3,245 deaths — in a nation of nearly 1.4 billion people where roughly 10 million die every year. The number of newly diagnosed patients has dropped to around 25 a day, with no cases of community spread reported since Wednesday.

Are you so sore on China’s numbers? I think your going to find there were a helluva lot more than 80k cases, which very much means many more deaths.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 25th, 2020, 8:04 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:50 am
Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

Are you so sore on China’s numbers? I think your going to find there were a helluva lot more than 80k cases, which very much means many more deaths.

I don't trust the CCP at all I'm just sharing info. We won't ever know the real numbers coming from that awful regime.
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
Aggie19

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » March 31st, 2020, 1:03 pm

Does the ticket office issue refunds if they cancel the season? I'm holding out on my renewal until we get a better idea if this will impact football.
These users thanked the author Aggie_CEE for the post:
sstrasser

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 1st, 2020, 1:41 pm

I think it is very likely that the NCAA and NFL seasons are canceled this fall. This is going to put a big pinch on small schools that have a tough time making ends meet and rely on football revenue to keep their athletics department afloat (see, USU). Gary Anderson and some other coaches have offered the idea of playing conference games only. I wouldn't imagine BYU would support that idea.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 1st, 2020, 1:43 pm

There’s not a doubt in my mind China’s death toll is easily 10x more than what they’ve reported.

As of right now without a miracle vaccine created and mass distributed, I don’t think there’s any way football is played (in front of crowds at least) this year.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
USU78ViAggie

coolag

Post by coolag » April 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm

Probably for the best. Because of safety for everyone involved and also for the morale of the fanbase. (We's gonna suck)

Regulator of Class

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 1:43 pm
There’s not a doubt in my mind China’s death toll is easily 10x more than what they’ve reported.

As of right now without a miracle vaccine created and mass distributed, I don’t think there’s any way football is played (in front of crowds at least) this year.
I'd say it's 10x in the city of Wuhan alone. We will get football, just maybe no crowds.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 1st, 2020, 6:08 pm

With the disappointing crowd history we've had in Logan, o demand social distancing would be a natural event to imitate a sold out stadium. On another note, if our Governor has embraced 26 weeks of isolation, has he even looked at a calendar?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm

I have generally been a pessimist on the Covid 19 stuff but I think we have a mostly normal football season. For a few reasons:

1. The shutdown is to allow hospitals time to build capacity. That is being done, though too slowly. By fall though, I think there will be testing systems in place that can allow for robust contact tracing (including point of care testing) and capacity to handle the number of cases we are seeing now without an issue.

2. I think there are promising anti-viral drugs that will reduce severity and morbidity of the disease and those drugs will keep people out of the ICU. Again, the social distancing is about preserving hospital capacity and if a drug can keep people out of the hospital or ICU or off a ventilator, then that will accomplish a lot.

3. I think there are probably 50-100 people who have had it for every confirmed case (there are a bunch of studies out there on this that can be found with a quick google). For the most part, states have only tested people with severe symptoms. Mild symptomatic and asymptomatic people are not getting tested (until very recently anyway if at all) and those comprise a vast majority of the cases. I think that we will be closer to herd immunity than we think by the fall. Certainly not the desired 70+%, but enough that this, along with 1 and 2, will allow some normalcy.

Maybe it is undue optimism but I think the concern is maybe not starting on time or an abbreviated training camp not losing the entire season.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm
I have generally been a pessimist on the Covid 19 stuff but I think we have a mostly normal football season. For a few reasons:

1. The shutdown is to allow hospitals time to build capacity. That is being done, though too slowly. By fall though, I think there will be testing systems in place that can allow for robust contact tracing (including point of care testing) and capacity to handle the number of cases we are seeing now without an issue.

2. I think there are promising anti-viral drugs that will reduce severity and morbidity of the disease and those drugs will keep people out of the ICU. Again, the social distancing is about preserving hospital capacity and if a drug can keep people out of the hospital or ICU or off a ventilator, then that will accomplish a lot.

3. I think there are probably 50-100 people who have had it for every confirmed case (there are a bunch of studies out there on this that can be found with a quick google). For the most part, states have only tested people with severe symptoms. Mild symptomatic and asymptomatic people are not getting tested (until very recently anyway if at all) and those comprise a vast majority of the cases. I think that we will be closer to herd immunity than we think by the fall. Certainly not the desired 70+%, but enough that this, along with 1 and 2, will allow some normalcy.

Maybe it is undue optimism but I think the concern is maybe not starting on time or an abbreviated training camp not losing the entire season.
Are you referring to the Oxford study that said that 1/2 of the UK already had been infected? That may be and very likely is optimistic- but there is one related piece of data that is fascinating in relation to MERS. Initially they thought 2,500 globally had MERS. However through antibody testing they found out that it is possible that 45,000 in Saudi Arabia alone had MERS.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25863564/

But that doesn’t answer why hospitals are suddenly being over run- if this existed long before within the community.

What would be interesting is not only testing for anti bodies as a standard distribution in the country but to also compare to New York.

All that being said, I very much doubt we will have any sports until well into 2021.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Intermeddler

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 1st, 2020, 8:17 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm
Intermeddler wrote:

Are you referring to the Oxford study that said that 1/2 of the UK already had been infected? That may be and very likely is optimistic- but there is one related piece of data that is fascinating in relation to MERS. Initially they thought 2,500 globally had MERS. However through antibody testing they found out that it is possible that 45,000 in Saudi Arabia alone had MERS.

But that doesn’t answer why hospitals are suddenly being over run- if this existed long before within the community.

What would be interesting is not only testing for anti bodies as a standard distribution in the country but to also compare to New York.

All that being said, I very much doubt we will have any sports until well into 2021.
No, there’s another that based it’s conclusions on the diamond princess ship, nba players, and evacuation flights. I will try and find it but they think 6,000,000 people have had it in the US.

Hospitalization is largely a factor of age. Germany has an extremely low rate compared to Italy but the median age of infection there is about 20 years younger than Italy so perhaps this spread through a portion of the younger/healthier population first?

I stand by my cautious optimism but concede the information is rapidly changing

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 1st, 2020, 8:52 pm

These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
USU78

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 8:17 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

No, there’s another that based it’s conclusions on the diamond princess ship, nba players, and evacuation flights. I will try and find it but they think 6,000,000 people have had it in the US.

Hospitalization is largely a factor of age. Germany has an extremely low rate compared to Italy but the median age of infection there is about 20 years younger than Italy so perhaps this spread through a portion of the younger/healthier population first?

Age and BMI. I have seen studies saying that the majority of the fatalities they are seeing are in diabetic and pre-diabetic patients. Weight is a primary reason for diabetes. If you are in shape and have a lower BMI and are not on the diabetes scale, your chances of survival skyrocket.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Intermeddler

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 2nd, 2020, 11:23 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 1:41 pm
I think it is very likely that the NCAA and NFL seasons are canceled this fall. This is going to put a big pinch on small schools that have a tough time making ends meet and rely on football revenue to keep their athletics department afloat (see, USU). Gary Anderson and some other coaches have offered the idea of playing conference games only. I wouldn't imagine BYU would support that idea.
WHO? What conference are they in? The Wet Goat Conference doesn't sponsor Foozball? Oh man... :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 2nd, 2020, 11:26 am

Intermeddler wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 8:17 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

My father, who is in his mid 70's, was diabetic and was also at his ideal weight (6' 2" 190 LBS). He gave up sugar and carbs and voila, it was gone. I did the same last year at age 47 as a precaution because I knew it ran in the family. It's what you got to do sometimes.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
USU78

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » April 2nd, 2020, 11:54 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 1:41 pm
Most larger programs live hand-to-mouth. Cancellation of the football season, a limited season, or playing games without fans will hit the larger programs hard as well, and possibly harder since the larger schools generally sponsor more teams that rely on football revenue.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » April 2nd, 2020, 12:45 pm

this article has some insight on the likelihood of CFB2020

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heres-the- ... 11216.html

The most important decision dictating that decision appears to be the return of students to actual colleges.
“With school not in session, I don’t believe it is practical or proper to have intercollegiate athletics,” Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said. “Much like we are experiencing on campus right now.”

The next “mile markers,” according to Swarbrick, are if there will be summer school on campus and then whether or not there will be athletic and academic summer camps on campus. (Ohio State, for example, already moved in-person summer school classes to online this week.)

A USU Fan "favorite" opined, as well... who has the devil photo????
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby delivered a clear answer when asked if games could be played in the fall without students on campus. “No,” he said. “The participants are students.”

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 2nd, 2020, 1:05 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 12:45 pm

The most important decision dictating that decision appears to be the return of students to actual colleges.
“With school not in session, I don’t believe it is practical or proper to have intercollegiate athletics,” Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said. “Much like we are experiencing on campus right now.”

The next “mile markers,” according to Swarbrick, are if there will be summer school on campus and then whether or not there will be athletic and academic summer camps on campus. (Ohio State, for example, already moved in-person summer school classes to online this week.)

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby delivered a clear answer when asked if games could be played in the fall without students on campus. “No,” he said. “The participants are students.”
I had thought about this and commented the same a couple weeks ago when the decision was made to shut down campus and classes and everyone was put on lockdown. At that point, the government had gone all in on social isolating and I figured there would be no classes on campus for the 2020-21 school year. Nobody is going to allow people to congregate again until there is a vaccine and/or cure. I don't think football or basketball have seasons next yera.

Eutaw St. Aggie

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 3rd, 2020, 11:03 am

Apparently Dabo sees it differently: "I don't have any doubt. I have zero doubt that we're going to be playing and the stands are going to be packed."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... son-starts

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » April 4th, 2020, 11:20 am

Has USU announced summer school plans??
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/ut ... ed/

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 5th, 2020, 4:51 pm

My 2 cents:
The numbers from the Chinese government are garbage. Best guess is that Wuhan had at least 40,000 deaths, based on the excess number of cremation urns delivered to the city.
We may already be past the peak, at least in some areas. New York has had a steadily decreasing number of daily new hospital admissions this week.
It would be a shame to cancel the college football season before the end of this month, when things may look significantly better than they do now.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 5th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Well, for a start, Summerfest in June has been cancelled. And the old people aren't coming to Logan from Arizona this summer.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 6th, 2020, 10:16 am

LKGates wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:51 pm
My 2 cents:
The numbers from the Chinese government are garbage. Best guess is that Wuhan had at least 40,000 deaths, based on the excess number of cremation urns delivered to the city.
We may already be past the peak, at least in some areas. New York has had a steadily decreasing number of daily new hospital admissions this week.
It would be a shame to cancel the college football season before the end of this month, when things may look significantly better than they do now.
Thank you LK... I believe there are many reasons to prepare for the coming football season and those reasons should firm up and elevate our confidence over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 6th, 2020, 12:05 pm

I would invite all season ticket holders to purchase season tickets for this season. If it is cancelled you will get a refund. The program is loosing money hand over fist.

The budget at USU relay's on tax dollars and student fees which make up most of the budget, if the slow down continues tax dollars will be in short supply, and tough decision will need to be made, funding sports will not, and should not be high on the list of needed expense's. We have facilities debt due on the stadium which needs to be paid, this is when fans are really needed. waiting for others to pay for the program will not work so lets all do our part.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 6th, 2020, 12:20 pm

My brothers and I have already paid. I invite everyone else to do the same.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 4):
oleblu111MachismoNavyBlueAggieViAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 6th, 2020, 12:56 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 12:05 pm
I would invite all season ticket holders to purchase season tickets for this season. If it is cancelled you will get a refund. The program is loosing money hand over fist.

The budget at USU relay's on tax dollars and student fees which make up most of the budget, if the slow down continues tax dollars will be in short supply, and tough decision will need to be made, funding sports will not, and should not be high on the list of needed expense's. We have facilities debt due on the stadium which needs to be paid, this is when fans are really needed. waiting for others to pay for the program will not work so lets all do our part.
I have already renewed as well. As of now I have made the decision that if the football season is cancelled I will not accept the refund and tell the athletic department to keep it to help keep it afloat.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Blue42USU78

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 6th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 12:56 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 12:05 pm

I have already renewed as well. As of now I have made the decision that if the football season is cancelled I will not accept the refund and tell the athletic department to keep it to help keep it afloat.
You are truly my Aggie Brother if we have no season, I will also let them keep my season ticket money.

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » April 8th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Aggie_CEE wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 1:03 pm
Does the ticket office issue refunds if they cancel the season? I'm holding out on my renewal until we get a better idea if this will impact football.
I emailed my acct exec, Ryan Benson back and asked that on Friday and haven't heard anything. I will most likely renew, if a decision hasn't been made by May 1st. And hope for a refund, if the season is canceled, I can't afford to "donate" the money.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 9th, 2020, 3:31 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 12:20 pm
My brothers and I have already paid. I invite everyone else to do the same.
Well Done 78, well done.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 9th, 2020, 6:28 pm

sstrasser wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 1:13 pm
Aggie_CEE wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 1:03 pm
I emailed my acct exec, Ryan Benson back and asked that on Friday and haven't heard anything. I will most likely renew, if a decision hasn't been made by May 1st. And hope for a refund, if the season is canceled, I can't afford to "donate" the money.
If the season is canceled you will receive a refund on the tickets bought. It is to bad you can not afford the donation their need is desperate.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 10th, 2020, 1:08 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 12:45 pm

Absolutely spot on Iowa, and thank you !!!!!!!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm

This is getting interesting. A lot of smoke starting that the college football season next year will be moved to the spring of 2021.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 13th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm
This is getting interesting. A lot of smoke starting that the college football season next year will be moved to the spring of 2021.
This would be very bad news for oleblu. He has publicly stated he things spring ball is boring and not worth attending.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
sam tingey

Locked Previous topicNext topic