While on the Subject of Future Games...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 15th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Does anyone know why we haven't extended our series with BYU past 2022?

In 2013 we extended the series through the 2018 season. In 2015 we extended the series through the 2020 season. In 2018 we extended the series through the 2022 season.

Theoretically this is the latest we've left the extension in at least the last ten years. BYU has two games left for the 2023 season (one home and one away, assuming a standard 6/6 split), and that would be our year for a home game. 2024 still has four openings, including three home games that they need to fill.

I know some of you don't like the series and would prefer to take a break. In my mind, it would be tough to find a replacement that would sell out the stadium and get us a nationally televised home game.

It certainly has nothing to do with a potential Utah series for the Aggies because the Utes are already fully booked for those two years and wouldn't play us anyway. BYU may potentially be trying to play hard ball to get two home games in a row in 2022 and 2023, but given their need for home games in 2024 that doesn't make a ton of sense to me either. Their 2023 schedule is fairly robust as well, and most major teams have already filled up those non-con games years in advance.

Maybe something will get announced soon, but it seems curious that nothing has happened yet.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15882
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 426 times
Been thanked: 1053 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 15th, 2020, 10:28 pm

I think you may be on to something. The game is afoot.
Image



swordsman1989
Posts: 1076
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by swordsman1989 » June 15th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see BYU trying to big time us. If Hartwell gives them a road game when we are due a home game, he should be run out of town. BYU and Utah should not get anything other than a 1/1 deal.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 16th, 2020, 6:34 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 11:46 pm
Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see BYU trying to big time us. If Hartwell gives them a road game when we are due a home game, he should be run out of town. BYU and Utah should not get anything other than a 1/1 deal.
1) I would be immensely surprised if Hartwell caves to BYU on that.

2) The overwhelming evidence of Hartwell’s competence should prevent him from ever being run out of town for anything less than a major scandal.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie19
Posts: 641
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie19 » June 16th, 2020, 7:23 am

I say if byu-p doesn't want to do 1-1, then they can go find another convenient partner who will pay them on conference weekend every year. I'm sure they'll have no problem. They can schedule more Idaho States, more Northern Alabamas and more Georgia Southerns. Good luck


Go Aggies!

slcagg
Posts: 4559
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by slcagg » June 16th, 2020, 7:41 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 11:46 pm
Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see BYU trying to big time us. If Hartwell gives them a road game when we are due a home game, he should be run out of town. BYU and Utah should not get anything other than a 1/1 deal.
I did see some of their fans on twitter saying that since we did a 2-1 with Oregon (of course they were too lazy to understand that the second away game is a money game) that BYU should demand that from Usu. True illusion from that fan base.



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1816
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by JSHarvey » June 16th, 2020, 9:27 am

1 and 1 or none. Keep the order alternating just as it has for the last few years.

I like playing BYU because we are starting to beat them at least as often as not, and I loathe them (as do many USU fans) and so I (and many others) get "up" for the game.

Also, given the realities of having a large percentage of LDS alumni/fans, playing the game on the Friday of the LDS conference weekend makes a lot of sense because a lot of those fans aren't going to do a Saturday game that weekend anyway.

But under no circumstance should any "special" concessions be given to BYU, it has to be a regular 1 and 1 series or none.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
sstrasserthegreendalegelf


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 104
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by sstrasser » June 16th, 2020, 9:30 am

I noticed on the future FB schedule there isn't a date for playing at Alabama in 2022, but the fbschedules.com site shows the game is scheduled for 9/3/22, which one is right?

Also I always wondered why we don't have an extra home game on the years we play at Hawaii, like the NCAA allows us too.



User avatar
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Posts: 1316
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Location: Utah
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Floppy Hat » June 16th, 2020, 9:34 am

I've heard that we are trying to take a one year break to move our home game with BYU to even years...so we don't have both Boise State and BYU as home games in the same season. As those games have a higher likelihood of selling out, this would even out some of the revenue between seasons. BYU's response was apparently to just play two years in a row in Provo rather than take a year break.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1816
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by JSHarvey » June 16th, 2020, 9:41 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:34 am
I've heard that we are trying to take a one year break to move our home game with BYU to even years...so we don't have both Boise State and BYU as home games in the same season. As those games have a higher likelihood of selling out, this would even out some of the revenue between seasons. BYU's response was apparently to just play two years in a row in Provo rather than take a year break.
I would certainly support moving the home game of the BYU series to same year as the Boise away game. I think if it was explained that it was still a 1 and 1 deal and that there would still be a home game for every away game and do a four year deal of two away and two home games the USU fans would understand.

What wouldn't go down well is a 2 and 1 (or 3/2, etc.) deal. It has to be even number of years deal for the switch to work.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 104
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by sstrasser » June 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:34 am
I've heard that we are trying to take a one year break to move our home game with BYU to even years...so we don't have both Boise State and BYU as home games in the same season. As those games have a higher likelihood of selling out, this would even out some of the revenue between seasons. BYU's response was apparently to just play two years in a row in Provo rather than take a year break.
I would think BYU would push back on that, cause then they would be playing both Utah and Utah State at home the same years, of course I don't think USU is as big a draw in Provo as Utah is or even Boise State.



ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ususports » June 16th, 2020, 9:55 am

JSHarvey wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:27 am
so I (and many others) get "up" for the game.
:shock: Could you define what you mean by up? ;)
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1197
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 16th, 2020, 9:59 am

Some options:
- Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. Sounds like our athletic department has proposed to BYU-P
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles?



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15882
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 426 times
Been thanked: 1053 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 16th, 2020, 10:26 am

Skip 1 year or 3 years to get us on the even year schedule. No other options should be considered. You give in to BYU-P with two years in a row and we'll be back to 2 for 1s.



Aggie19
Posts: 641
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie19 » June 16th, 2020, 10:51 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:59 am
Some options:
- Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. Sounds like our athletic department has proposed to BYU-P
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles?
Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal. I think this opens the door for the 2 for 1, so I'm out.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. I can get behind this one
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon. Wouldn't do it because that would mean they are viewed as a P5, no way in hell. Or we charge them double.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles - I wouldn't mind this one either for 1 year. Not my favorite because it's basically a home game for them either way, provo or slc


Go Aggies!

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9054
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ViAggie » June 16th, 2020, 10:59 am

Bottom line is ybu needs us WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than we need them, sell out in our stadium or not. Let them play Liberty U twice in one year for all I care.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19USU78


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ususports » June 16th, 2020, 11:27 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:59 am
Bottom line is ybu needs us WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than we need them, sell out in our stadium or not. Let them play Liberty U twice in one year for all I care.
I hate BYU more than the next guy, but I never understand the sentiment that they need us more than we need them. Look at our attendance for BYU games compared to much less exciting opponents (which is what we would get if we didn't schedule BYU). If you haven't read our board during every football season during your lifetime, there are multiple threads devoted to complaining about attendance and lack of fan support (just ask oleblu). Then go take a peek at how many home and home games BYU has scheduled with P5 opponents, and then tell me with a straight face that BYU needs us more than we need them.

Special note: Just to help SLB, this is a serious post, and no hidden penis jokes are implied.



User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 104
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by sstrasser » June 16th, 2020, 11:48 am

ususports wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:27 am
ViAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:59 am
Bottom line is ybu needs us WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than we need them, sell out in our stadium or not. Let them play Liberty U twice in one year for all I care.
I hate BYU more than the next guy, but I never understand the sentiment that they need us more than we need them. Look at our attendance for BYU games compared to much less exciting opponents (which is what we would get if we didn't schedule BYU). If you haven't read our board during every football season during your lifetime, there are multiple threads devoted to complaining about attendance and lack of fan support (just ask oleblu). Then go take a peek at how many home and home games BYU has scheduled with P5 opponents, and then tell me with a straight face that BYU needs us more than we need them.
I think he means that they being an independent and having to schedule 12 games a year, and we only need to come up with 4, that is why they need us more then we need them.

But I agree we do love the attendance we get from playing them, there isn't another G5 non-conference team that would get that kind of attendance and interest.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:59 am
Bottom line is ybu needs us WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than we need them, sell out in our stadium or not. Let them play Liberty U twice in one year for all I care.
There is no possible viewpoint from which BYU needs this game more than Utah State. It is possible that the game is equally meaningful to both sides, or not irreplaceable, but I would be hard pressed to find evidence that BYU "needs" the game more than we do.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1197
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 142 times

While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 16th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:59 am
Some options:
- Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. Sounds like our athletic department has proposed to BYU-P
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles?
Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal. I think this opens the door for the 2 for 1, so I'm out.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. I can get behind this one
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon. Wouldn't do it because that would mean they are viewed as a P5, no way in hell. Or we charge them double.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles - I wouldn't mind this one either for 1 year. Not my favorite because it's basically a home game for them either way, provo or slc
I could accept a single 2-1 contract as long as it is accompanied with a signed 10 year contract of 1 for 1’s to follow and if the “money game” payout for the second game was equal to what Alabama/LSU/Oregon pays.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
JSHarvey



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:59 am
Some options:
- Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. Sounds like our athletic department has proposed to BYU-P
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles?
Play 2 years in a row at Provo followed by 2 years in a row in Logan. Still a 2-2 deal. I think this opens the door for the 2 for 1, so I'm out.
- Skip one year and then pick back up 1 for 1’s. I can get behind this one
- Play 2 in a row in Provo but make one a money game, like we did with Oregon. Wouldn't do it because that would mean they are viewed as a P5, no way in hell. Or we charge them double.
- play one neutral site game. Rio Tinto or Rice Eccles - I wouldn't mind this one either for 1 year. Not my favorite because it's basically a home game for them either way, provo or slc
I could accept a single 2-1 contract as long as it is accompanied with a signed 10 year contract of 1 for 1’s to follow and if the “money game” payout for the second game was equal to what Alabama/LSU/Oregon pays.
The problem is that we are the ones asking for the change in scheduling.

Pretty tough to go to the negotiating table and say, "We want to adjust how things are going AND you're going to pay us for it."

I understand they'd be paying for a third home game in four years, but in their eyes they'd like already think they were doing us a favor. Skipping one year or leaving the schedule as-is are the most likely options, it would seem. They would never agree to a neutral site game.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

USUaggie
Posts: 289
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:23 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by USUaggie » June 16th, 2020, 12:46 pm

They need us to fill their schedules a lot more than we need them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19USU78



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 164
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm

I'm ok with a 2 for 1. Two in Logan for every one in Provo.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19USU78



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2143
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 16th, 2020, 1:01 pm

The argument seems to focus on a historically self serving and financially sound opponent in Provo, and historically there is little love lost between our two schools. Why don't we open negotiations with Boise for a schedule change or adjustment and lighten the emotional load a bit on our athletic administration.?
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey



Aggie19
Posts: 641
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie19 » June 16th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I think we tell them to pound sand and work on a home and home rotation with the American conference. We don't need byu-p as much as their schedule needs us.

Our schedule would be:
1 P5 money game
1 lower half P5 (I know hard to predict)
1 AAC game
1 game from Weber/SUU/Dixie
8 conference games
And 1 big middle finger to byu-p
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
USU78BustaMcNutt


Go Aggies!

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7642
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 405 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by USU78 » June 16th, 2020, 1:23 pm

sstrasser wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:51 am
Floppy Hat wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:34 am
I've heard that we are trying to take a one year break to move our home game with BYU to even years...so we don't have both Boise State and BYU as home games in the same season. As those games have a higher likelihood of selling out, this would even out some of the revenue between seasons. BYU's response was apparently to just play two years in a row in Provo rather than take a year break.
I would think BYU would push back on that, cause then they would be playing both Utah and Utah State at home the same years, of course I don't think USU is as big a draw in Provo as Utah is or even Boise State.
History would disagree. The attendance in Provostan for ewe and USU games was always pretty much indistinguishable, and USU games were always in the top 3 +/- in attendance, even when we sucked.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Full
Posts: 1779
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Full » June 16th, 2020, 2:26 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm
There is no possible viewpoint from which BYU needs this game more than Utah State. It is possible that the game is equally meaningful to both sides, or not irreplaceable, but I would be hard pressed to find evidence that BYU "needs" the game more than we do.
Utah State sells seats in Provo. The best attended games in 2014 and 2018 were against Utah State. The 2011 and 2012 were the second best attended games those seasons. The 2016 game USU was 3-8 And BYU was 7-4 with the game held two days after Thanksgiving. That was a recipe for apathy.

I see we both get a attendance boost, but USU only needs to schedule two games a year while BYU is looking for 6. I could make a case that BYU “needs” the game more than USU. It’s not irreplaceable for either side, but both sides are benefit from having it on the schedule.



ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ususports » June 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Full wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 2:26 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm
There is no possible viewpoint from which BYU needs this game more than Utah State. It is possible that the game is equally meaningful to both sides, or not irreplaceable, but I would be hard pressed to find evidence that BYU "needs" the game more than we do.
Utah State sells seats in Provo. The best attended games in 2014 and 2018 were against Utah State. The 2011 and 2012 were the second best attended games those seasons. The 2016 game USU was 3-8 And BYU was 7-4 with the game held two days after Thanksgiving. That was a recipe for apathy.

I see we both get a attendance boost, but USU only needs to schedule two games a year while BYU is looking for 6. I could make a case that BYU “needs” the game more than USU. It’s not irreplaceable for either side, but both sides are benefit from having it on the schedule.
No one is arguing that BYU isn't benefiting by scheduling games with us. In fact, if you re-read YoungBlood's post, he even said that it could be "equally meaningful" to both sides. We don't have a great track record for getting home and home arrangements with exciting schools, and they consistently do. Even if you include teams like Idaho State, North Alabama, Liberty, Umass, etc. our fans would wet ourselves if we had the home schedules they have arranged (as a whole). So even if they need more games per year, they don't need us more than we need them. Sure we can fill the schedule with someone else, but just filling the schedule with anyone doesn't draw fan support.



Aggie19
Posts: 641
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie19 » June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm

I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.


Go Aggies!

ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ususports » June 16th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.
There is no question that it increases ticket sales. However, even taking money out of the equation, the pure joy that beating them brings into my heart is a thing of beauty. I still remember watching highlights from the 2018 game on KSL 10:00 news, and they showed Ficklin making a comment on how gas was wasted bringing the wagon wheel down to Provo. The young anchor with blond hair (I don't watch the news enough to remember her name) is a BYU fan, and she didn't think it was very funny. That is pure joy right there, and you never experience it if you never play them.

These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 4):
sstrasserAggie19MachismoJSHarvey



Full
Posts: 1779
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Full » June 16th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.
It’s a rivalry game. It draws interest from many who would otherwise not be interested. We usually play them on Friday night, which means a lot of highlights on sports shows and every local news outlet. I don’t have a better way to grow the fan base than by allowing both sides to magnify the importance of this game. When the stadium is at capacity, it’s a celebration for those who aren’t missing out.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
JSHarveysstrasser



NavyBlue
Posts: 304
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:37 am
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by NavyBlue » June 17th, 2020, 4:45 pm

I was also wondering if the BYU series was going to continue. They just signed something like a 15 year contract with Boise.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2549
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 242 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 17th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.
Lol this is so tiring. I get it we all hate byu. Ironically the reason you post stuff like this is the reason the stadium fills up every time byu is in town. It is a sell out where the fanbase is rabid for a week against a hated in state rival.

It is pretty dumb when people pretend the game doesn't matter. What is funny is many of the people who claim they don't want to play byu anymore are the ones who fill this board with anti-byu threads. Which is fine. You should not like them, that is why the game is important to play. It is crazy to not want to play your rival.



Aggie19
Posts: 641
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by Aggie19 » June 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:20 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.
Lol this is so tiring. I get it we all hate byu. Ironically the reason you post stuff like this is the reason the stadium fills up every time byu is in town. It is a sell out where the fanbase is rabid for a week against a hated in state rival.

It is pretty dumb when people pretend the game doesn't matter. What is funny is many of the people who claim they don't want to play byu anymore are the ones who fill this board with anti-byu threads. Which is fine. You should not like them, that is why the game is important to play. It is crazy to not want to play your rival.
Ok, now apply the context back from the original post, which is that byu wants a 2-1 series. Is the rivalry worth that? There no disputing what you said, the game matters, always will, but is it worth playing if it's not 1-1?


Go Aggies!

ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: While on the Subject of Future Games...

Post by ususports » June 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:20 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I am wondering what folks think the biggest benefit we get playing byu is?
- money? Not a money game
- better attendance? Yes, every other year, so maybe a little bump in money.
- helps with recruiting? Maybe, if we win, but it's not opening other recruiting areas, we're already known in the area
- fills a scheduling hole? Yes.

I know there is this perceived idea that we get a benefit from playing them, I'm just trying to quantify what that is. Not being snarky here, truly want to know what we really gain.
Lol this is so tiring. I get it we all hate byu. Ironically the reason you post stuff like this is the reason the stadium fills up every time byu is in town. It is a sell out where the fanbase is rabid for a week against a hated in state rival.

It is pretty dumb when people pretend the game doesn't matter. What is funny is many of the people who claim they don't want to play byu anymore are the ones who fill this board with anti-byu threads. Which is fine. You should not like them, that is why the game is important to play. It is crazy to not want to play your rival.
Ok, now apply the context back from the original post, which is that byu wants a 2-1 series. Is the rivalry worth that? There no disputing what you said, the game matters, always will, but is it worth playing if it's not 1-1?
So you are you suggesting we don’t play the game because they asked for something in their favor? How dare they. Simple solution is don’t agree to it. Just because someone asks for something doesn’t mean you have to do it. To answer your question, no, the rivalry is not worth a 2 for 1.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
USU78



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic