Fall Semester

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
VegasBornAggie

Fall Semester

Post by VegasBornAggie » June 18th, 2020, 12:06 pm

USU sent out an email to students today detailing certain things for fall semester.
Including...

“The schedule for fall semester has been adjusted. The day allotted for “fall break” (Oct. 16) is canceled, and teaching after the Thanksgiving break will be remote only. This will allow those students whose permanent home is away from our campuses to stay there until the beginning of spring semester and, therefore, reduce the opportunity for spread of the coronavirus in the classroom after Thanksgiving.”

The email went on to say that they will be emailing more in the coming weeks about student life. With the announcement today I’d imagine there’s probably not going to be fans in the stands for college football or basketball this fall.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Fall Semester

Post by sam tingey » June 18th, 2020, 12:11 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:06 pm
USU sent out an email to students today detailing certain things for fall semester.
Including...

“The schedule for fall semester has been adjusted. The day allotted for “fall break” (Oct. 16) is canceled, and teaching after the Thanksgiving break will be remote only. This will allow those students whose permanent home is away from our campuses to stay there until the beginning of spring semester and, therefore, reduce the opportunity for spread of the coronavirus in the classroom after Thanksgiving.”

The email went on to say that they will be emailing more in the coming weeks about student life. With the announcement today I’d imagine there’s probably not going to be fans in the stands for college football or basketball this fall.
I think this is them setting up for not having a student section but allowing for ticket purchasing patrons. Do students still have to pay the athletics fee this semester?

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 18th, 2020, 12:12 pm

that isn't necessarily true, especially with FB games in Sept and Oct.

There will not be as many students to the last home FB game after Thanksgiving and the 3 Home Basketball Games at the beginning of Dec, including BYU and St Mary's. So that isn't good.

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 18th, 2020, 12:14 pm

sam tingey wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:11 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Including...

I think this is them setting up for not having a student section but allowing for ticket purchasing patrons. Do students still have to pay the athletics fee this semester?
:lol: :lol: Good one, of course they will, since they will have access to all the games.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2020, 12:15 pm

As a parent of a student that lives out of state I find this annoying. Why even bring them on campus?

And.... aren't athletes students as well? Will those student-athletes be required to return after Thanksgiving? Or do they stay home, too? And if they stay home, will there be enough kids that are within driving distance of campus to fill complete teams to participate in sports? This is why they should just do away with intercollegiate sports altogether, as much as it pains me to say it. This novel coronavirus has killed my enjoyment of college sports. I'm going fly fishing.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
918AGG

Eutaw St. Aggie

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » June 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm

sam tingey wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:11 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Including...

As a current student I can confirm that they have charged the athletics fee to our accounts. They may remove or reduce it before the semester starts but as it stands right now they have charged the athletics fee.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 18th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:15 pm
As a parent of a student that lives out of state I find this annoying. Why even bring them on campus?

And.... aren't athletes students as well? Will those student-athletes be required to return after Thanksgiving? Or do they stay home, too? And if they stay home, will there be enough kids that are within driving distance of campus to fill complete teams to participate in sports? This is why they should just do away with intercollegiate sports altogether, as much as it pains me to say it. This novel coronavirus has killed my enjoyment of college sports. I'm going fly fishing.
So does this mean after 3,000 posts you are done with college sports ?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 18th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Haha... Your enjoyment will come back when the sports do.

I've been watching classic movies during the break. I'm much more into the filmography of Billy Wilder than I ever thought I would be.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » June 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Yossarian wrote:

As a parent of three students who does not live locally, my impression is that students want back on campus. Certainly, some do not, but at least for the many students I know, there is no desire to go to school online in the fall. Personally, I support the University's efforts to get students on campus and to move forward as much as possible. It may turn out not to be possible, but I see no reason to give into that at this point. This is close to the same policy Notre Dame announced almost a month ago. However, I think ND may be starting earlier and ending just before Thanksgiving, which seems to make some sense. Yes, football players are students, too, but a lot of students will need to come back because of work or other commitments. I'm not sure how any of this supports the notion that all intercollegiate sports should be cancelled. I can always agree with going fly fishing, but hopefully you won't allow something like this virus to kill your enjoyment of college sports. War and other calamities have caused interruptions with collegiate sports before, and we've gotten through them. We'll get through this one, too.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post (total 2):
Machismosstrasser

Machismo

Post by Machismo » June 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Yossarian wrote:

As a parent of three students who does not live locally, my impression is that students want back on campus. Certainly, some do not, but at least for the many students I know, there is no desire to go to school online in the fall. Personally, I support the University's efforts to get students on campus and to move forward as much as possible. It may turn out not to be possible, but I see no reason to give into that at this point. This is close to the same policy Notre Dame announced almost a month ago. However, I think ND may be starting earlier and ending just before Thanksgiving, which seems to make some sense. Yes, football players are students, too, but a lot of students will need to come back because of work or other commitments. I'm not sure how any of this supports the notion that all intercollegiate sports should be cancelled. I can always agree with going fly fishing, but hopefully you won't allow something like this virus to kill your enjoyment of college sports. War and other calamities have caused interruptions with collegiate sports before, and we've gotten through them. We'll get through this one, too.
According to World O meter we as of of now have approximately 350 Deaths a day from this thing. We have over 330 Million in this Country. This count is on par with what we had early March when all Sports and life as we knew it was shut down. We flattened the curve as not to overwhelm Hospitals. Then it was testing, we achieved that, now it's we need a vaccine. We cannot run from this. As Aggies 22 said, Wear masks. Don't show up if you don't feel well. The practice needs to move from social distancing to social decency. Personal accountability is going to be key moving forward.
But politicians are scared.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 18th, 2020, 1:14 pm

918AGG wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Yossarian wrote:

I've been watching classic movies during the break. I'm much more into the filmography of Billy Wilder than I ever thought I would be.
Hey dummy, his name is Gene Wilder.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
sam tingey

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Coming from someone who will be attending Notre Dame’s MBA program next year I can verify this. Classes start a week earlier with no Fall Break. We will be done by Thanksgiving. I think other schools (including USU should follow suit)

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » June 18th, 2020, 3:00 pm

I suspect that the decision to not hold classes after Thanksgiving was either influenced by or directed from the State since the University of Utah will have the same format for its Fall classes.

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » June 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I believe a large majority of colleges are moving towards not returning after Thanksgiving. If you have all of your student population scatter in all directions, and interact with all new pools of potential carriers it will increase the likelihood of an outbreak when they all return to school.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/19/us/c ... ester.html

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 18th, 2020, 4:07 pm

well since we never flattened the curve, I'm thinking...

School's out for EVER! :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Maybe they can do like my company is planning:

We have been working from home since March. They are encouraging people to continue to work from home. When they do re-open the office, they have the following rules ready to enact:

Everything we touch in the "common areas" must be immediately wiped down with chlorox wipes (door handles, copier/printer, refrigerator, chair, etc.
They will have arrows indicating which direction to walk down each hallway
Anytime we are out of our individual offices, facemasks must be worn
All meetings will be done via computer (we use Microsoft Teams)
I will have to fill out a "fit for duty" card each time I want to go into the office (even if it's after business hours) or go into the field. This will require me taking and recording my temperature and performing a self-evaluation of my health to determine if I am fit for work.
Anytime I go into the field and return home or go into the office and return home, I have to report to my supervisor that I returned safely and how I feel
I can not rent a car for work purposes
I must use disposable gloves to fill up my gas tank

This seems perfectly reasonable and not over-reactionary, right? This should be implemented everywhere, universally. We just need to create a bunch of "supervisor" positions in government to received those calls. We can all check in when we go to the supermarket and get back home.

Eutaw St. Aggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 18th, 2020, 5:36 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 4:07 pm

We didn’t flatten the curve?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 18th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Yossarian, you and Sam Tingey make really solid comments about the possibility of major game fan and student attendance this fall. Interesting thought about clearing the deck early on for selling game tickets where the students regularly sit. If I were a landlord looking to the college student rental market, the outlook for a "routine rental cycle" the outlook would be dour.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 20th, 2020, 10:45 am

Yossarian wrote:

Strange days

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 20th, 2020, 2:03 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 10:45 am
Yossarian wrote:

Strange days

Strange days, indeed

Eutaw St. Aggie

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » June 21st, 2020, 7:45 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Yossarian, you and Sam Tingey make really solid comments about the possibility of major game fan and student attendance this fall. Interesting thought about clearing the deck early on for selling game tickets where the students regularly sit. If I were a landlord looking to the college student rental market, the outlook for a "routine rental cycle" the outlook would be dour.
Yea, this is true about being a landlord. I will say that I do t think telling the students to go home after Thanksgiving break will do much for a few reasons:

1. The students for the most part want to be on campus. Most students didn’t like the switch to online this past semester and don’t want it again. They want to be around friends and peers.

2. For the very reason you listed about housing. Most students live off campus. Nearly all rental contracts go for the entire school year if not for a full year. That means there will be a whole month that a student is paying for but not even using.

3. A lot of students have jobs that will require them to be in town. They don’t have the office jobs yet that allow them to work from home - instead they have jobs in sales, retail, and restaurants (not all, but most). That means that may be stuck here anyway.

In the end, I think it was a nice try by the university, but it doesn’t change much.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 1:14 pm
918AGG wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Hey dummy, his name is Gene Wilder.
Better watch Blazing Saddles one last time while you can..... it's going to be removed from existence before long.

Eutaw St. Aggie

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » June 22nd, 2020, 4:03 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:36 pm
ViAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 4:07 pm

We didn’t flatten the curve?
Not in Utah...
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/06/22/ ... new-covid/

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

I believe the "curve" has been materially flattened. We also know much more about how to deal domestically with the management of Covid 19, courtesy of China. The small sample sizes in Utah and elsewhere are just that,,,with no definition as to the depth of the affliction. Read broadcasting air time and column inches for the media folks. The early model Covid 19 projections were overstated and regularly adjusted (reduced) as time went on. The reality is that this flu can be highly contagious and personal hygiene needs to be appreciated in a continuing effort to minimize and contain this malady.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » July 1st, 2020, 5:23 pm

Just received an email from the university.
Of my six classes in the fall. All were originally face to face.
3 are now completely online
3 “hybrid online face to face, but this is subject to change”

Looking like less and less chance there are students on campus this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic