2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Hey guys! It's that time of year again and I'm releasing my position by position preseason previews. This year I have opened up with the quarterbacks. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 148874951/
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
slcagghvaggiesam tingeyflying_scotsman2.0AZ4AggieNationAggie19sstrasser



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 6th, 2020, 2:36 pm

This preview series, to me, marks the true beginning of football season. Can't wait to see the team!
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0sstrasser


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

slcagg
Posts: 4559
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by slcagg » July 6th, 2020, 2:37 pm

This is wonderful! Could use more sports talk.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0sstrasser



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 6th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Is Peasley going to be ready to go, 22? You and I have chatted about a couple other guys that are coming back from knee injuries and how that might impact their camp performance. I wonder if Peasley might not be all the way back (lest we forget the fall of Chuckie), and Legas/Calvin might jump up the depth chart.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1806
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by sam tingey » July 6th, 2020, 2:44 pm

I too am concerned for Peasley. He was pretty electric to watch up to the point where he was injured. i would like him to get to 100% again.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2020, 2:50 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Is Peasley going to be ready to go, 22? You and I have chatted about a couple other guys that are coming back from knee injuries and how that might impact their camp performance. I wonder if Peasley might not be all the way back (lest we forget the fall of Chuckie), and Legas/Calvin might jump up the depth chart.
In the whopping two or three days of spring ball that took place, Andy Peasley was a full participant. I know, I was surprised as well. I feel good about where I've placed him on the depth chart for now.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2143
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 6th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Appeared to me that Peasley has good speed and doesn't hesitate to pull the ball down and run with it,,,that's the good news. The bad news is that running Q B's tend to be injured or prone to injury a good deal. I wonder about his durability, even with his seemingly robust knee rehab.

Nice to have a solid stock of promising Q B's in school though, and a major thanks to 22 for the beginning of another very insightful review of our 2020 AGGIE team.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AZ4AggieNation



Yossarian
Posts: 3341
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Yossarian » July 6th, 2020, 3:01 pm

which is the more athletic out of Peasley and Legas?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:01 pm
which is the more athletic out of Peasley and Legas?
That's really tough to say. In my opinion, Peasley has more straight-ahead speed but Legas is stronger and has more escapability when the pocket breaks down.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 164
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 6th, 2020, 3:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:01 pm
which is the more athletic out of Peasley and Legas?
That's really tough to say. In my opinion, Peasley has more straight-ahead speed but Legas is stronger and has more escapability when the pocket breaks down.
Any talk of using either in a utility/wildcat role this year?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2020, 3:55 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:01 pm
which is the more athletic out of Peasley and Legas?
That's really tough to say. In my opinion, Peasley has more straight-ahead speed but Legas is stronger and has more escapability when the pocket breaks down.
Any talk of using either in a utility/wildcat role this year?
I'm sure it could happen BUT I have not heard anything specifically that would lead me to give a definite answer.



Notatrueaggie
Posts: 52
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Notatrueaggie » July 6th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I think that we should use columbi and peasley this year. Maybe for trick plays or read options. Both have significant speed and if 22 is accurate about the offense that we had with chuckie, I would run a two-qb offense. I think if we do that, we are HIGHLY underrated. Just saying.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1197
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 7th, 2020, 11:34 am

I’m really excited for the Columbi era and think he could have a breakout year. He may not have Love’s pure arm talent but his accuracy, speed, and command of the offense will be fun to watch. I think mixing in a bit of Peasley for “wild bull” type situations would be beneficial too, especially if he still has that second gear. I don’t expect to see either Calvin or Legas in games much this season unless one of them beats out Peasley for second team reps.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5398
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 383 times
Been thanked: 652 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 7th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Based off what I've watched, Legas strikes me as an athlete who is playing QB. That's not to mean he can't play the position successfully, I just feel like he's an athlete out there vs. a QB with all of this arm talent.

With that said, I would love to see packages next year that feature Legas in plays where he runs some sort of option type play with different variations, and then at some point later in the year have him throw an unexpected pass from that package.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
slcagg



slcagg
Posts: 4559
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by slcagg » July 7th, 2020, 2:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Hey guys! It's that time of year again and I'm releasing my position by position preseason previews. This year I have opened up with the quarterbacks. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 148874951/
May be an unfair question. But out of Legas and Calvin who leads in being third string?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 2:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Hey guys! It's that time of year again and I'm releasing my position by position preseason previews. This year I have opened up with the quarterbacks. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 148874951/
May be an unfair question. But out of Legas and Calvin who leads in being third string?
I would say since Coop was the QB that was elevated to the travel squad when Andy Peasley went down, likely him.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2763
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 538 times

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 7th, 2020, 3:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 2:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Hey guys! It's that time of year again and I'm releasing my position by position preseason previews. This year I have opened up with the quarterbacks. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 148874951/
May be an unfair question. But out of Legas and Calvin who leads in being third string?
I would say since Coop was the QB that was elevated to the travel squad when Andy Peasley went down, likely him.
I may be off my meds (and if I am, I am WAY off because I don't remember taking any), but didn't I see Josh Calvin suited and booted at road games last year as well?


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 7th, 2020, 3:13 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 2:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Hey guys! It's that time of year again and I'm releasing my position by position preseason previews. This year I have opened up with the quarterbacks. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 148874951/
May be an unfair question. But out of Legas and Calvin who leads in being third string?
I would say since Coop was the QB that was elevated to the travel squad when Andy Peasley went down, likely him.
I may be off my meds (and if I am, I am WAY off because I don't remember taking any), but didn't I see Josh Calvin suited and booted at road games last year as well?
I don't think he traveled, I could be wrong I suppose BUT he did usually dress for the home games.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I've updated this preview to reflect the recent developments.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AZ4AggieNationAggieArmy



AggieArmy
Posts: 86
Joined: February 2nd, 2012, 9:21 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by AggieArmy » July 16th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Do we know for sure on Peasley's remaining eligibility? I've seen some posts saying he has 4 years.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9559
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4683 times
Been thanked: 2825 times
Contact:

Re: 2020 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 6:29 pm

AggieArmy wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Do we know for sure on Peasley's remaining eligibility? I've seen some posts saying he has 4 years.
Peasley should be a redshirt freshman. According to a recent change to NCAA rules, he should be a slam dunk for a 6th year of eligibility. This should go the same for Andy Koch and Wyatt Bowles as well.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieArmy



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic