Players Opting Out (Allegedly)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Players Opting Out (Allegedly)

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2020, 11:03 am

Kyler Hack's Dad is tweeting that Savon Scarver and Andy Koch are opting out of the 2020 season.
Last edited by aggies22 on August 4th, 2020, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Re: Players Opting Out

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » August 4th, 2020, 11:10 am

Oh boy.........

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 4th, 2020, 11:21 am

This is just the tip of the iceberg, and not just for the Aggies.

I think the only way that college football will happen this year is if they make a shortened season in the spring.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 4th, 2020, 11:22 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:21 am
This is just the tip of the iceberg, and not just for the Aggies.

I think the only way that college football will happen this year is if they make a shortened season in the spring.
Ding ding.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Players Opting Out (Allegedly)

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 4th, 2020, 11:42 am

Unpopular opinion: many people have paid way too much attention to media hysteria and way too little attention to the actual data when making COVID-19 decisions.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 10):
aggies22BLUERUFiOMachismoSLBAggieArmyutahcountyaggieAZ4AggieNationAggiePTbrownjeansnewtonianblue

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2020, 11:43 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:42 am
Unpopular opinion: many people have paid way too much attention to media hysteria and way too little attention to the actual data when making COVID-19 decisions.
Popular opinion with me.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 11:55 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:Unpopular opinion: many people have paid way too much attention to media hysteria and way too little attention to the actual data when making COVID-19 decisions.
Why do you want every person in America to die just so you can watch football ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 6):
tjensen_25flying_scotsman2.03rdGenAggieAggieArmyWillCut72AggieBlues

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 4th, 2020, 11:56 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
I would have agreed with you, up until I tested positive. Luckily I don’t have any symptoms, but I can tell you this thing spreads fast. I have no idea where I got it, and I would of had no idea if it weren’t for a mandatory test I had to take for grad school.

Though I believe most people are asymptotic like me, there are plenty who aren’t as lucky.

I can understand why a player would want to play it safe. Especially the big lineman who are supposedly at risk.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19AndroidAggie

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm

It’s not just the health risks. Some kids don’t want to play or waste a year of eligibility on a short season with no or few fans. It’s not what they signed up for.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm
It’s not just the health risks. Some kids don’t want to play or waste a year of eligibility on a short season with no or few fans. It’s not what they signed up for.

Yep. Maybe I have missed it but has the NCAA said anything about eligibility for those that opt out? Do they lose a year or preserve it? If the latter, I don't blame guys for sitting even if at very low risk of getting sick.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is this year what anybody signed up for?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 4th, 2020, 12:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:03 am
Kyler Hack's Dad is tweeting that Savon Scarver and Andy Koch are opting out of the 2020 season.
Koch I get, but scarver is always way out in front of everyone, what’s he so afraid of?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyAggiePT

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:56 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I would have agreed with you, up until I tested positive. Luckily I don’t have any symptoms, but I can tell you this thing spreads fast. I have no idea where I got it, and I would of had no idea if it weren’t for a mandatory test I had to take for grad school.

Though I believe most people are asymptotic like me, there are plenty who aren’t as lucky.

I can understand why a player would want to play it safe. Especially the big lineman who are supposedly at risk.
It's an odd animal. I know several that have got it and have had mild symptoms (fatigue late in the day, fever, mild aches, etc.) They had a couple weeks of not feeling well - had to nap periodically during the day (which was easily accommodated working from home), and then been back to normal.

My wife and three kids helped some family friends move from California to Arizona. We loaded up two moving vans and the bunch of them drove the vans and the friends' vehicles to Arizona. The friends' son and his girlfriend came with his girlfriend from Tuscon to help unload the vans. The bunch of them worked and ate together for three days in the same house. When my kids got back home, we were notified that the girlfriend's mother, the girlfriend and our friends' son had all tested positive. My wife and kids, who had been in the same house working and eating with the infected people, were all tested and were negative. I was really surprised - we all thought for sure they would have it.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AggieUprising50

Eutaw St. Aggie

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Yossarian wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is this year what anybody signed up for?
Fair point. I’m just relaying their though process.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 4th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Yep. Maybe I have missed it but has the NCAA said anything about eligibility for those that opt out? Do they lose a year or preserve it? If the latter, I don't blame guys for sitting even if at very low risk of getting sick.
Nope. That’s the problem. It will really complicate recruiting and how many scholarships would be available. I don’t think anyone knows how those issues will be handled. It’s a total cluster.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
aggies22

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm

IYgatCp.gif
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
AggieUprising50

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Couple of questions. If a player opts to sit out, but the season is still played, does said player still remain on scholarship and get all the benefits/perks that come with it?

If a player opts to sit, but the season is still played, does said player lose a year of eligibility?

If the answer to the first one is yes they still get all the scholarship benefits while opting to sit out that is super weird to me. Schools are basically going to give out all that free scholarship money and all the perks that come with it, but get nothing in return. I know if I called my job and said I was sitting out the next year because of COVID-19 I certainly would not be paid or have the position held for me.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Couple of questions. If a player opts to sit out, but the season is still played, does said player still remain on scholarship and get all the benefits/perks that come with it?

If a player opts to sit, but the season is still played, does said player lose a year of eligibility?

If the answer to the first one is yes they still get all the scholarship benefits while opting to sit out that is super weird to me. Schools are basically going to give out all that free scholarship money and all the perks that come with it, but get nothing in return. I know if I called my job and said I was sitting out the next year because of COVID-19 I certainly would not be paid or have the position held for me.
I think they still get school paid for but cannot participate with the team. So no access to the weight room, training table, etc. You still have your scholarship but cannot be around the team I believe.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:Couple of questions. If a player opts to sit out, but the season is still played, does said player still remain on scholarship and get all the benefits/perks that come with it?

It’s going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. If I were a Senior this isn’t how I would want my final season to be, but on the same note I don’t think I would want to stick around for another year either.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

I don't think anyone knows.

In all honesty the season will not happen this fall. Hopefully it can be played in the spring and the seniors can play then.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:55 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:Unpopular opinion: many people have paid way too much attention to media hysteria and way too little attention to the actual data when making COVID-19 decisions.

He's probably hiding out in his basement, right? :headscratch:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:Couple of questions. If a player opts to sit out, but the season is still played, does said player still remain on scholarship and get all the benefits/perks that come with it?

It’s going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. If I were a Senior this isn’t how I would want my final season to be, but on the same note I don’t think I would want to stick around for another year either.

Depends on if I feel I have a shot at the NFL. If I think this might be my last season of playing, I would be more patient and likely to wait a year.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm

slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

In all honesty the season will not happen this fall. Hopefully it can be played in the spring and the seniors can play then.
Here's the thing with all the "spring" talk. COVID is going to be around in the spring as well. I expect that we will have had a vaccine for a couple months at absolute best and still won't be anywhere near herd immunity.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 4th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Yep, dominoes are starting to fall:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 4th, 2020, 12:49 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:44 pm

A convenient excuse to not have to play for Idaho anymore.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 6):
ViAggieUSU78AggieArmyBLUERUFiOaggies22flying_scotsman2.0

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 4th, 2020, 12:50 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Here's the thing with all the "spring" talk. COVID is going to be around in the spring as well. I expect that we will have had a vaccine for a couple months at absolute best and still won't be anywhere near herd immunity.
Exactly.

It is not going away anytime soon. Treatment options may be improved by spring. Hospitals may be less crowded (who knows), but the virus isn't just going to magically disappear and we aren't going to have a widespread vaccine by spring, either. There is a surprisingly low percentage of Americans that say they will even take the vaccine if/when it becomes available, too, according to recent polls. I will be very surprised if the NCAA sponsors any intercollegiate sports in the 2020-21 calendar year. We have made the commitment to shut everything down to stop the spread of a virus that is still spreading and we keep moving the goal posts on what the end game of our efforts is. Nobody knows and nobody has given any indication as to when it will be safe to come out of hiding. I don't think the NCAA or the member institutions is willing to take on that role. Plans are being made by the individual conferences, but I think they are going to be scrapped for the academic year (and I've been saying this since March).

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Probably best to just act like you're ready to go. Hold your cards, because I doubt there is going to be a season anyway.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
ViAggieJSHarvey

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » August 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm

I have my doubts that sports will occur this next year, mostly out of fear rather than actual dangers. Yes, COVID is real and for certain segments of the population it poses a significant threat. But for the vast majority of us it is not a real threat to our overall, long-term health. 3rdGenAggie and Yossarian are absolutely right that COVID will still be around next spring and we would be better served figuring out how to live with it versus cowering in fear because of it. Unfortunately, I do not think any policy makers have an exit strategy for returning life to normal (however it is they want to define it). Instead, policy makers are constantly shifting what they say based on the most recent media reports.

For myself, I have little faith in any COVID vaccine that comes to market this year or even next. Every other vaccine has taken years to produce, with less than 10% successfully make it through Stage 3 trials. And when the FDA says it may approve a COVID vaccine that is not even 50% effective, is that really where we should be placing our hopes for life returning to normal?
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
Machismo

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 4th, 2020, 1:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
Unsure if being sarcastic. :headscratch:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 4th, 2020, 1:47 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:49 pm
ViAggie wrote:

A convenient excuse to not have to play for Idaho anymore.

I have a serious question, what extra concerns do players have? There will obviously be regular testing if the season occurs. It is also easy to take temperatures which is one of the big indicators of risk at every practice etc. When going through non contact drills, meetings etc. masks and social distancing will occur. When doing full contact drills there is more risk, but then it goes back to testing, temperature monitoring etc.

My son started little league football yesterday and they took everyone's temperatures before practice and will throughout the season. I certainly love sports and especially college football so I want to see it, but at the same time am having a hard time processing the additional risks from other professions. I work in manufacturing and my employees work in very close proximity to each other. Temperatures are checked prior to work and everyone wears a mask while at work unless they are eating/drinking. There obviously have not been 0 COVID cases with our employees, but the amount contracting the virus has not been alarming as well.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 1:49 pm

USU78 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:27 pm
2004AG wrote:
Unsure if being sarcastic. :headscratch:
Of course I am. That's usually the response people get when others don't subscribe to the "sky is falling" attitude.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
USU78

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » August 4th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Are these kids that are opting out doing it from fear of the virus, or do they just not want to live with the restrictions they will have in their social life?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Agzrule wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Are these kids that are opting out doing it from fear of the virus, or do they just not want to live with the restrictions they will have in their social life?
Yes

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » August 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Agzrule wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:50 pm
This would be me. If it isn't fun anymore, why do it?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2020, 2:03 pm

ViAggie wrote:

I've ALWAYS said when Idaho refuses to play, everyone else will follow suit. Thanks for nothing Vandals. :sarcasm:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AZ4AggieNationAggiePT

Locked Previous topicNext topic