Athletic Directors Should Resign

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mike1126
Posts: 86
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by mike1126 » August 11th, 2020, 8:58 am

Cancelled way too early, it was just a week or two ago, when the 10game season was decided. Covid-19 numbers are going down, and well be able to watch some other conferences play, and the MW will regret there decision.
These users thanked the author mike1126 for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22



coolag
Posts: 1228
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by coolag » August 11th, 2020, 9:04 am

dogie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:47 am
slcagg wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 6:22 am
Chatman wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 6:21 am
If the P5 conferences end up playing this will be an epic failure for the MWC.
Canceled way to early in my opinion.
They had to cancel early enough to give the best players and coaches in the conference plenty of time to transfer to schools that will be playing this fall.
well played Hair Thompson well played



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2723
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 9:26 am

mike1126 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:58 am
Cancelled way too early, it was just a week or two ago, when the 10game season was decided. Covid-19 numbers are going down, and well be able to watch some other conferences play, and the MW will regret there decision.
I hope we'll get to watch other conferences.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by oleblu111 » August 11th, 2020, 9:46 am

First of all the A.D.'s did not make the call to cancel the season, blame the CEO's of the schools if you must find blame. No A.D. would want the season canceled. Hair is not to blame either

This will not signal the end of college football. It will be a tough row to hoe for schools that is for sure, perhaps some will need to rethink what division they are playing at and how much money is being spent to support athletics, and make sure it is a good investment.
Last edited by oleblu111 on August 11th, 2020, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



jpswensen
Posts: 1530
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 217 times
Contact:

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by jpswensen » August 11th, 2020, 9:56 am

Donman wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:40 pm
I'm a realist. You think players are going to stay? We will have to make huge cuts in staff
WSU AD predicted a 50% loss of revenue from a cancelled football season, per this Seattle Times article (https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu ... more-pain/). That is basically equivalent to the lost revenues the university was expecting across all academic departments and loss of state funding combined. These aren't combinedlosses that most universities can eat without taking drastic measures.


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

User avatar
Dwigt
Posts: 1253
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:23 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by Dwigt » August 11th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Image
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post (total 2):
ViAggieoleblu111


"The threshold of insult is in direct relation to intelligence and security." John Steinbeck

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6399
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by 2004AG » August 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Dwigt wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Image
Have you seen the reasons articulated?

What did the metrics need to be to have college football?



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2723
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 4:17 pm

jpswensen wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:56 am
Donman wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:40 pm
I'm a realist. You think players are going to stay? We will have to make huge cuts in staff
WSU AD predicted a 50% loss of revenue from a cancelled football season, per this Seattle Times article (https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu ... more-pain/). That is basically equivalent to the lost revenues the university was expecting across all academic departments and loss of state funding combined. These aren't combinedlosses that most universities can eat without taking drastic measures.
Yeah this will be devastating to athletic departments everywhere.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 5346
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 11th, 2020, 8:07 pm

coolag wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:08 pm
My point is this has nothing to do with player safety. It's all a liability issue now.
Let's be honest. The vast majority of COVID decisions in the last 3-4 months have been liability issues first and foremost.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiePT


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

IdAggie
Posts: 143
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Athletic Directors Should Resign

Post by IdAggie » August 12th, 2020, 1:26 am

oleblu111 wrote:First of all the A.D.'s did not make the call to cancel the season, blame the CEO's of the schools if you must find blame. No A.D. would want the season canceled. Hair is not to blame either

This will not signal the end of college football. It will be a tough row to hoe for schools that is for sure, perhaps some will need to rethink what division they are playing at and how much money is being spent to support athletics, and make sure it is a good investment.
Oleblu is correct. The decision was not made by the athletic directors or Hair Thompson. Both of whom would be more reluctant to cancel for many reasons. It was made by the MWC Board of Commissioner’s, which is made up primarily of the MW school Presidents. Our own President Cockett is the Chair of the board and plays an active and strong role in board leadership and direction. As stated, liability concerns are currently a major factor, which is currently part of the mindset on campuses, right or wrong. I know it is a major component of USU planning often placed above student learning, experiences, and even health. Which I personally disagree with.

COVID is serious and needs to be treated as such. We still do not fully understand the full complications of COVID for those who survive. Many are not fully recovering and we are starting to see secondary issues like heart problems in the younger/college age populations. However, solid planning and cooperation/adherence can allow some aspects of life to continue. Sports is tough with COVID as we are seeing from professional leagues (MLB) right now. Sports with spectators is even tougher. I am hopeful that we can all approach this right to diminish COVID. This will allow a basketball season and spring football games.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author IdAggie for the post:
Aggie19



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic