Looks like the Big 12 is giving it a go for the Fall

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Looks like the Big 12 is giving it a go for the Fall

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 11th, 2020, 7:57 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ource-says

It looks like the ACC and SEC will continue in the Fall as well. If this goes well for them in the Fall then it will be embarrassing for us, Big 10, and Pac-12 for postponing the Fall season. I guess we'll wait and see.

coolag

Re: Looks like the Big 12 is giving it a go for the Fall

Post by coolag » August 11th, 2020, 8:29 pm

BYU-P and Nebraska in talks with BIG12 about joining for football. If that happened and they have a season Aggie fans heads might explode. Cockett and Hartwell will be run out of town.

Regulator of Class

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 11th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Interesting... I can see the Big 12 taking Nebraska back in a heart beat. I never thought BYU would be in the mix with them. I guess nothing is impossible but improbable. Then again this is 2020 what do I freaking know.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 11th, 2020, 9:24 pm

coolag wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:29 pm
BYU-P and Nebraska in talks with BIG12 about joining for football. If that happened and they have a season Aggie fans heads might explode. Cockett and Hartwell will be run out of town.
I know we aren’t Nebraska. But have you seen their administrations response to the big 10 decision. I would love to see that from our front. I know I know. We aren’t Nebraska.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 9:54 pm

coolag wrote:
Hartwell brought in Craig Smith so I would never support running him out of town, but yes if the teams that play in the fall do so with limited problems and don't have to stop the season it will definitely make all the conferences that quit look really bad and could lead to players leaving.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Give it a week or so, lots can change.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm

coolag wrote:
What’s in that arrangement for the B12? They already will play 9 conference games. They don’t like to do OOC after conference play starts. They already have plenty of TV avails. They’re going to upset all that to accommodate BYU? Or even Nebraska?

Nobody here knows anything.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 11th, 2020, 10:06 pm

FIGURE IT THE HELL OUT. We all need the foosball just as much or more than even Bobby Boucher.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 10:09 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Give it a week or so, lots can change.
Very true. I won't completely believe it until I see it. We have been told there would be football while simultaneously receiving bad news for the last several months.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 11th, 2020, 10:17 pm

MWC certainly quit too soon. This could have been done a few weeks later. The players are better off on campus wherE they can be checked, etc. The PAC also cancelled hoops until 1 1 21.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
aggies22

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 12th, 2020, 6:44 am

OKAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm
coolag wrote:
What’s in that arrangement for the B12? They already will play 9 conference games. They don’t like to do OOC after conference play starts. They already have plenty of TV avails. They’re going to upset all that to accommodate BYU? Or even Nebraska?
https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-commis ... 33028.html

Nebraska to the Big 12 isn't going to happen, nor are they playing this fall. (Big 10 threatens to pull revenue and membership if they try.)

I suspect there will be more dominoes to fall before the season.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

no plans for the Big 12 to play ybu - WOMP WOMP

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 12th, 2020, 12:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:24 pm
coolag wrote:
I know we aren’t Nebraska. But have you seen their administrations response to the big 10 decision. I would love to see that from our front. I know I know. We aren’t Nebraska.
I think the difference is that Nebraska voted to play (but was outvoted). To my knowledge, Cockett joined the other moronic MWC presidents in voting to cancel the season. BTW, am I the only one who thinks Cockett's been relatively unscathed in this whole thing. Shouldn't we be going after her more than Hartwell?
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 3):
YoungBloodAggieMachismoaggies22

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 12th, 2020, 12:42 pm

First of all Dr. Cockett has put more money in the the athletic budget than any CEO before her. The motion that USU should go ahead with the season despite what the Conference voted for is foolish at best. Who the hell would travel to Logan to play US ?

Because we do not get to watch Football this fall lets get rid of the most supportive CEO at least as far as putting money into the program, and the A.D. that found Coach Smith, now that would be moronic.

USU will walk the line as far as the MWC goes because we have no other quality conference that wants us as a member.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 4):
NowhereLandAggieAggie19thegreendalegelfSl7vk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 12th, 2020, 1:21 pm

No need to throw shade at President Cockett. She seems to be really invested in athletics. Unfortunately she has other concerns than just enjoying watching football to be played. Listening to Hartwell yesterday he made it sound like it was a consensus decision amongst all AD's and President's and that no official vote was had to prevent that vote from leaking.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:21 pm
No need to throw shade at President Cockett. She seems to be really invested in athletics. Unfortunately she has other concerns than just enjoying watching football to be played. Listening to Hartwell yesterday he made it sound like it was a consensus decision amongst all AD's and President's and that no official vote was had to prevent that vote from leaking.
Well that's the thing. If there is not going to be a season, they should give a good explanation why. Show us what they know and what led them to their conclusion.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 12th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:21 pm
This article states the AD's are the ones who voted last week to move the start date back and go with the 8 + 2 model. The presidents then met this week and cancelled everything. Sounds like there were at least a couple of presidents that didn't want to cancel but they were out-numbered or pressured to side with the majority.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 12th, 2020, 4:26 pm

People need to settle down. We are all disappointed, but it is just football. Those in power are doing what they think is best after consulting with experts. We'll survive.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfSl7vk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 13th, 2020, 10:20 am

oleblu111 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 12:42 pm
First of all Dr. Cockett has put more money in the the athletic budget than any CEO before her. The motion that USU should go ahead with the season despite what the Conference voted for is foolish at best. Who the hell would travel to Logan to play US ?

Because we do not get to watch Football this fall lets get rid of the most supportive CEO at least as far as putting money into the program, and the A.D. that found Coach Smith, now that would be moronic.

USU will walk the line as far as the MWC goes because we have no other quality conference that wants us as a member.
Nobody has said anything about getting rid of Cockett. Hartwell was taking heat on the forum but not a whisper about Cockett. The point of my post was that it was the presidents, including Cockett, who decided to cancel the season, not Hartwell. Hartwell's recent interview supports that.

No need to be overly sensitive about calling out Cockett. She was the decision maker. This is going to have severe implications for players, staff, program, and athletic department. It isn't simply a "fans don't get to watch football" issue. That is a naive position to take. So go ahead, Cockett, tell us why was this decision necessary? What information did the presidents have that the ADs didn't have just days before? What was the catalyst for cancelling? Why are the MWC presidents so much more enlightened about COVID than SEC presidents?

Are fans entitled to know why we can't watch football this fall? Maybe not. Are donors who have invested time and money for years trying to support and build our program entitled to know why the presidents made a seemingly rash decision that could instantly negate those long-term efforts? Yeah, I think we are.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
YoungBloodAggieAggiePT

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 13th, 2020, 11:25 am

AgMac wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 10:20 am
oleblu111 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Nobody has said anything about getting rid of Cockett. Hartwell was taking heat on the forum but not a whisper about Cockett. The point of my post was that it was the presidents, including Cockett, who decided to cancel the season, not Hartwell. Hartwell's recent interview supports that.

No need to be overly sensitive about calling out Cockett. She was the decision maker. This is going to have severe implications for players, staff, program, and athletic department. It isn't simply a "fans don't get to watch football" issue. That is a naive position to take. So go ahead, Cockett, tell us why was this decision necessary? What information did the presidents have that the ADs didn't have just days before? What was the catalyst for cancelling? Why are the MWC presidents so much more enlightened about COVID than SEC presidents?

Are fans entitled to know why we can't watch football this fall? Maybe not. Are donors who have invested time and money for years trying to support and build our program entitled to know why the presidents made a seemingly rash decision that could instantly negate those long-term efforts? Yeah, I think we are.
MWC is made up of universities that have football programs. SEC is made up of football programs that have universities.

I wished the decision had gone the other way, and I think everyone's weighing the benefits and liabilities to the best of their ability. I think they could have waited another month, watched to see if trends showing declines in cases and hospitalizations continue, and maybe truncate the season then, or move it to the spring. What I do know is that Dr. Cockett knows more than anyone on this board: how much we're foregoing in revenues, how much the university will have to contribute to make good on scholarships and other costs to the athletes, and how unlikely it was to come to a consensus of 12 schools including 4 in California and Hawaii.

Sometimes you only have bad choices.

Nobody here knows anything.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 13th, 2020, 11:46 am

OKAggie wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:25 am
MWC is made up of universities that have football programs. SEC is made up of football programs that have universities.

I wished the decision had gone the other way, and I think everyone's weighing the benefits and liabilities to the best of their ability. I think they could have waited another month, watched to see if trends showing declines in cases and hospitalizations continue, and maybe truncate the season then, or move it to the spring. What I do know is that Dr. Cockett knows more than anyone on this board: how much we're foregoing in revenues, how much the university will have to contribute to make good on scholarships and other costs to the athletes, and how unlikely it was to come to a consensus of 12 schools including 4 in California and Hawaii.

Sometimes you only have bad choices.
I'm not disputing any of that. But I'm never ok with "this person knows more so just trust them." We're not incapable of reasoning through a logical explanation. We're sharp. We're Aggies, afterall. So let's have it, Cockett. What turned the tide?

SLB

Post by SLB » August 13th, 2020, 11:52 am

I hope that both BYU and Nebraska join the Big 12. Those football players should have a season, and I believe if somehow BYU is successful in joining the Big 12 in the long-term then it would increase the number of P5 opponents on our schedule.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 13th, 2020, 11:56 am

SLB wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:52 am
I hope that both BYU and Nebraska join the Big 12. Those football players should have a season, and I believe if somehow BYU is successful in joining the Big 12 in the long-term then it would increase the number of P5 opponents on our schedule.
I hope BYU crawls into a hole and dies, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this take.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 13th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:56 am
SLB wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:52 am
I hope BYU crawls into a hole and dies, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this take.
And byu joining the big 12 probably means they would quit playing us like Utah has done.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:26 pm
People need to settle down. We are all disappointed, but it is just football. Those in power are doing what they think is best after consulting with experts. We'll survive.
I might not disagree if we are given a good explanation. On top of the incompetence, the transparency on this has been terrible. They have not kept fans informed on their thought process and what their expectations are for a season and what is being done to make that possible. I would like to see they need to see in order for football to be played again. Not in order for there to be no restrictions such as limited fans, masks, etc. . ., but just the game continuing. They have not done that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic