Who Gets an Extra Year

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Who Gets an Extra Year

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm

I'm not sure if the extra year of eligibility applies to underclassmen as well as seniors. If it does, if I were GA, I'd save a few scholarships over the next few years and tell the team that a select few will earn the right to play an extra year.

For the fall 2021 season (assuming we end up playing in the spring), I'd bring back the following individuals:

Terin Adams
Devonta'e Henry-Cole
CJ Pollard
Nick Heninger
Marcus Moore
Troy Lefeged Jr.
Shaq Bond
Cash Gilliam
Savon Scarver
Jaylen Warren
Kevin Meitzenheimer
Justus Te'i
Demytrick Ali'ifua
Ty Shaw
Carson Terrell

Everyone else, I'd pat them on the back and wish them the best.

taniataylor

Re: Who Gets an Extra Year

Post by taniataylor » August 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm

Haha.... too bad your list is as good as WRONG.... but hey, what do I know??
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm

taniataylor wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm
Please ignore this putz

Edit: I mean OP, not Tania.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
slcagg

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 22nd, 2020, 8:18 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

Haha ohhh YBA, I know, I know....

Too bad for him OUR FAVORITE GUY is comin back to terrorize him with his mere presence for Spring/Fall!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
YoungBloodAggieslcagg

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 23rd, 2020, 1:40 am

taniataylor wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 8:18 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

Too bad for him OUR FAVORITE GUY is comin back to terrorize him with his mere presence for Spring/Fall!!
As much as I'm rooting for JN, he'll be (at best) our fourth best-receiving option next year. I limited my list to 15 (which is still probably way too high). Honestly, who would you take off that list and replace Jordan with?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 23rd, 2020, 7:26 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:40 am
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

As much as I'm rooting for JN, he'll be (at best) our fourth best-receiving option next year. I limited my list to 15 (which is still probably way too high). Honestly, who would you take off that list and replace Jordan with?
I don’t understand your beef with Nathan and I don’t care to argue it. He is one of our captains and in my opinion one of the most valuable players on the team.

With all of that said please do not be such a jerk to Tania. She and her son have been great ambassadors for the program and she has been fantastic to have in the board.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
taniataylorRoy McAvoy

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 23rd, 2020, 7:31 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

How is our top returning receiver suddenly going to be the fourth best option?

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

Jordan is, at worst, our third best receiver and that is assuming McGriff is a standout and Thompkins does better in a more central role. In reality, Jordan’s experience, leadership, speed, sure hands, versatility, and intelligence make him perhaps our most valuable receiver. There is a reason he’s seen the field since his freshman year. This whole conversation is premised upon an idiotic assumption.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

I dont need you to root for him... I find your list funny, the decisions have been made and announced to the returning players.
I do not need to debate the pecking order of receivers with you, thank you though for being a Jordan hater, it fuels him

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 23rd, 2020, 11:55 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

Of the list you provided, I would bet a lot of money that Jordan Nathan gets the nod over Ty Shaw. Especially if Hanalei Avendano beats him out for the starting LG role.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 23rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

I do not brown nose anyone, But Jordan Nathan would be on my list as needed next season.. To think otherwise is just foolish
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 3):
Aggie19YoungBloodAggieaggies22

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm

Im really just trying to figure out what the beef is. I may be a bit biased here, but Jordan, academically, graduated this past May with honors. Morally, he has never done anything against the rules, no drunk driving, no drugs, no cheating, no disrespect. Athletically, he gives football his absolute EVERYTHING! He has made mistakes, but there is not one player on the team that hasn’t. He is literally the most humble person you will ever meet, those of you that have met him and interacted with him know. He is not his own hype man, he in fact hates that I am so vocal about him.
Growing up, he only had me, not much family due to their racists beliefs and his father literally walking away from
him at 6 months old, not saying any of that for pity, but letting you know that since being in Logan, he has made friends that are more like family to him and he values. He is forever grateful for his opportunity to be an Aggie, as he shares on his Twitter often.
So, tell me, OrangeCountAggie, what exactly is the problem? Feel free to PM if you think you need to but you have been on his a$$ for a while now. Are you mad that he missed a catch? A rare punt return muff? Im wondering if your ability or knowledge of the game surpasses his?
Sorry guys, I gotta know....oh and for the record, he has had opportunity to transfer out a few times, but has stayed loyal and is finishing his collegiate football career as an AGGIE
Last edited by taniataylor on August 23rd, 2020, 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 10):
aggies22Aggie19Yossarianmcaggie1AgliciousTrueBlueFanSl7vkShowMeAggie3rdGenAggieAZ4AggieNation

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

taniataylor wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
Im really just trying to figure out what the beef is. I may be a bit biased here, but Jordan academically, graduated this past May with honors, morally, he has never done anything against rules, no drunk driving, no drugs, no cheating, no disrespect, athletically, he gives football his absolute EVERYTHING! He has made mistakes, but there is not one player on the team that hasn’t. He is literally the most humble person you will ever meet, those of you that have met him and interacted with him know. He is not his own hype man, he in fact hates that I am so vocal about him.
Growing up, he only had me, not much family due to their racists beliefs and his father literally walking away from
Him at 6 months old, not saying any of that for pity, but letting you know that since being in Logan, he has made friends that are more like family to him.
So, tell me, OrangeCountAggie, what exactly is the problem? Feel free to PM if you think you need to but you have been on his a$$ for a while now. Are you mad that he missed a catch? A rare punt return muff? Im wondering if your ability or knowledge of the game surpasses his?
Sorry guys, I gotta know....
Inquiring minds want to know.......
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
taniataylor

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » August 23rd, 2020, 2:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Im really just trying to figure out what the beef is. I may be a bit biased here, but Jordan academically, graduated this past May with honors, morally, he has never done anything against rules, no drunk driving, no drugs, no cheating, no disrespect, athletically, he gives football his absolute EVERYTHING! He has made mistakes, but there is not one player on the team that hasn’t. He is literally the most humble person you will ever meet, those of you that have met him and interacted with him know. He is not his own hype man, he in fact hates that I am so vocal about him.
Him at 6 months old, not saying any of that for pity, but letting you know that since being in Logan, he has made friends that are more like family to him.
Sorry guys, I gotta know....
Inquiring minds want to know.......
Someone ban this mf... I’m not talking about Tania I’m talking about OCA

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » August 23rd, 2020, 3:34 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Im really just trying to figure out what the beef is. I may be a bit biased here, but Jordan, academically, graduated this past May with honors. Morally, he has never done anything against the rules, no drunk driving, no drugs, no cheating, no disrespect. Athletically, he gives football his absolute EVERYTHING! He has made mistakes, but there is not one player on the team that hasn’t. He is literally the most humble person you will ever meet, those of you that have met him and interacted with him know. He is not his own hype man, he in fact hates that I am so vocal about him.
him at 6 months old, not saying any of that for pity, but letting you know that since being in Logan, he has made friends that are more like family to him and he values. He is forever grateful for his opportunity to be an Aggie, as he shares on his Twitter often.
Sorry guys, I gotta know....oh and for the record, he has had opportunity to transfer out a few times, but has stayed loyal and is finishing his collegiate football career as an AGGIE
If we can only offer a limited amount of these guys an extra year, Nathan would be at the top of my list,
He’s a good ambassador for our school, is a good player, and he gives his all out there!

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » August 23rd, 2020, 3:42 pm

Did I miss something where it's been stated we can only bring back a certain number of seniors? I've been confused by this thread.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 23rd, 2020, 4:02 pm

BustaMcNutt wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 3:42 pm
Did I miss something where it's been stated we can only bring back a certain number of seniors? I've been confused by this thread.
So, I believe that there are currently 20 Srs on the roster. There are also commits for fall 2021. OC Aggie compiled a list of 15 players that he believes have earned the right to be carried over to play next year.
There are Srs that have opted out and there are Srs that have and have not been retained. (They have already been notified).
I chimed in because he has been pretty vocal about not believing Jordan doesnt deserve to start and now to be retained. Luckily, he has been retained and will be our STARTING X receiver this Spring or Fall.
Things just grew from there

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 23rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

JN is a winner, on and off the field. If anyone deserves an extra year, it is Jordon. He rarely drops a pass and has made some spectacular catches, and incredible punt returns. There is more where they have come from. It boggles my mind that someone would think otherwise. My only wish is that when Tania gave birth to Jordon,,,she would have had triplets. :rock:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
aggies22pcaggie

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 23rd, 2020, 4:14 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 4:11 pm
JN is a winner, on and off the field. If anyone deserves an extra year, it is Jordon. He rarely drops a pass and has made some spectacular catches, and incredible punt returns. There is more where they have come from. It boggles my mind that someone would think otherwise. My only wish is that when Tania gave birth to Jordon,,,she would have had triplets. :rock:
Omg!! Triplets? Noooo, I couldnt handle 3 of him, he has been fast since he started crawling
USU78

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » August 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm

Thanks, Tania. The arbitrary 15 number was strange. Thanks for pulling the curtains back a bit to help us understand the new landscape.
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post (total 2):
taniatayloraggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 23rd, 2020, 4:44 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
His top catch for me was the one against Fresno where he caught a spectacular catch, injured his shoulder on the play and still held onto the catch. He also came back later in the game to play injured. That tells me all I need to know about him.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
taniatayloraggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 23rd, 2020, 4:49 pm

BustaMcNutt wrote:
Still some details to be figured out with respect to the 85 and 25 limits but as of now, this year doesn’t count for anyone so that’s going to require an adjustment to those limits so I’m not sure why some seniors would have already been told they’re done here unless it’s budgetary

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 23rd, 2020, 4:54 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 4:49 pm
BustaMcNutt wrote:
Still some details to be figured out with respect to the 85 and 25 limits but as of now, this year doesn’t count for anyone so that’s going to require an adjustment to those limits so I’m not sure why some seniors would have already been told they’re done here unless it’s budgetary
Gary and staff have their work cut out for them. It is a fine balance of retaining the seniors you need to be successful, but also giving the incoming freshman the opportunity for playing time as well. THe other main factor is financial and the added burden of expanding the number of scholarships for one year by 20-25 (that will be ~$1mm in scholarships etc.).
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Intermeddler

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 23rd, 2020, 5:05 pm

I heard that there should be a decision on a spring season coming soon, so decisions had to be made to hit the ground running
OrangeCountyAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 23rd, 2020, 11:15 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 7:26 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

I don’t understand your beef with Nathan and I don’t care to argue it. He is one of our captains and in my opinion one of the most valuable players on the team.

With all of that said please do not be such a jerk to Tania. She and her son have been great ambassadors for the program and she has been fantastic to have in the board.
I never said she wasn't! I'm a huge fan of Tania and appreciate her insights (I have never said anything disparaging to/about her). I will ALWAYS root for any player that dawns the aggie uniform and hope JN kicks a** this spring!

The whole purpose of this discussion was to point out that with our limited scholarships, not every senior or grad transfer can get another year AFTER this spring. So are you going to offer one of those precious spots to a receiver who only had ONE touchdown catch last year over say a star running back? A starting TE? A solid interior lineman? A pass-rushing machine? A few talented P5-grad transfers? If YOU think JN or someone else I left out deserves to be on that list, who is he replacing? Have the guts @slcagg to tell us who.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 24th, 2020, 7:04 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 11:15 pm
slcagg wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

I never said she wasn't! I'm a huge fan of Tania and appreciate her insights (I have never said anything disparaging to/about her). I will ALWAYS root for any player that dawns the aggie uniform and hope JN kicks a** this spring!

The whole purpose of this discussion was to point out that with our limited scholarships, not every senior or grad transfer can get another year AFTER this spring. So are you going to offer one of those precious spots to a receiver who only had ONE touchdown catch last year over say a star running back? A starting TE? A solid interior lineman? A pass-rushing machine? A few talented P5-grad transfers? If YOU think JN or someone else I left out deserves to be on that list, who is he replacing? Have the guts @slcagg to tell us who.
First person I’m cutting is you, and hopefully you can transfer into a fan base where progressively stupider statements are received favorably. Every time you have a chance to acknowledge how idiotic your assumption and decision making is, you double down. Madness.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 24th, 2020, 8:14 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I'm pretty sure the NCAA is going to allow for more total scholarships next season. No idea if USU can actually afford that or what the details would be, but I'm confident the '85 total scholarships' rule will be modified.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 24th, 2020, 9:31 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I'm pretty sure the NCAA is going to allow for more total scholarships next season. No idea if USU can actually afford that or what the details would be, but I'm confident the '85 total scholarships' rule will be modified.
Yep. I believe they could all come back if they wanted to and the school could afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 24th, 2020, 10:31 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

Do you realize the person you dont want to return is the guy with the most yards and catches? Do you realize that hIs assignments were to convert on 3rd down, which he did quite successfully? Do you even know that his coach said he was the best blocking receiver we had last year? Do you ALSO realize that after the Fresno St game, he came back in and started all the games after that with a fully torn labrum?? His stats would have been much better if he hadnt injured a major part of his CATCHING EQUIPMENT!!!!
How is it that every chance you get you have to reduce his contribution to the team, even to go so far as to say he doesnt deserve to return?
Not saying he shouldn't have had more TDs, saying that he did his job! He also rotated between inside and outside receiver to cover for the shortcomings at the position.
Lucky for me Im not ignorant to this sport and see the value in everyone, even you!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
Aggie19aggies22mcaggie1

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 24th, 2020, 10:36 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Please ignore this putz

For the sake of discussion, if we are going off the list that you provided at the top, I would take Jordan Nathan over Devonta'e Henry-Cole. Nathan is a proven starter and has been for two seasons. He is the top leading returning receiver and caught over 50 passes in 2019. Henry-Cole struggles to get into games that are blowouts and even got passed up on the depth chart by true freshmen while at Utah. John Gentry is a better running back and I'm willing to bet that Elelyon Noa is as well. The possibility of Henry-Cole contributing is a crapshoot at best.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tania - you and A22 are our best contributors. I love your posts!!!

Post by KissMyAg » August 24th, 2020, 10:59 am

Don’t let this deter you from contributing.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 24th, 2020, 11:16 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 9:31 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Yep. I believe they could all come back if they wanted to and the school could afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah there is no way around it. Expect inflated numbers until 2024 or 2025. Whether schools can afford it is another question.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm

taniataylor wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 4:14 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Omg!! Triplets? Noooo, I couldnt handle 3 of him, he has been fast since he started crawling
Twins???

aggies22

Re: Tania - you and A22 are our best contributors. I love your posts!!!

Post by aggies22 » August 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 10:59 am
Last edited by aggies22 on August 26th, 2020, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

taniataylor

Re: Tania - you and A22 are our best contributors. I love your posts!!!

Post by taniataylor » August 24th, 2020, 1:21 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 10:59 am
Thank you but 22 is in a class of his own, although I am very flattered.

Locked Previous topicNext topic