Heart Broken!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdidwhat

Heart Broken!

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 5th, 2020, 9:11 pm

I try to pretend sports aren't that important at the end of the day. But watching college football be played by Memphis and Ark St.. I actually got a little emotional. I just don't get why MW did what they did. I guess college sports do mean a lot to me.

God bless all those out there.

Sure miss my Aggies :(

:utah: :state:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Heart Broken!

Post by USU78 » September 5th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Anger here.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 5th, 2020, 9:25 pm

I agree, super sad to not see my aggies play. Totally unnecessary in my book.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
IdaAg93

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm

I find solace in the countless lives being saved.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 5th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Same. It really hit me today that it was missing.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm
I find solace in the countless lives being saved.
"Countless" is correct, just not in the way you think.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 6th, 2020, 7:47 am

I will say, it’s just not making a lot of sense that some are playing and some aren’t. Don’t get it at all.

I’d just like to drop this entire year down the memory hole. It’s been awful.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 6th, 2020, 9:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 7:47 am
I will say, it’s just not making a lot of sense that some are playing and some aren’t. Don’t get it at all.

I’d just like to drop this entire year down the memory hole. It’s been awful.
It sucks that we aren't playing. Every team should play. The sports world has moved on. There has been adjustments. The NBA is in a bubble, MLB has no fans, NFL will have limited fans, and Army played yesterday with 4,500 Cadets and limited other contestants with everyone wearing masks, but life has gone on. Hope we actually play in the Spring although I have my doubts with a short turnaround. It will be interesting to see if we actually play games in April and then start up again in the Fall.

Although I will say as much as I hate it, it is kind of funny that schools like Central Arkansas and Austin Peay have figured out how to play and the Big 10 with 100,000 seat stadiums and schools loaded with future NFL players are sitting at home. Just an absolute failure by certain people in charge.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
USU78slcagg

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » September 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm

As of Aug 30, 2020 CDC Stats:

Total Deaths: 189,044
Total Deaths among population w/at least one comorbidity: 169,044
Total Deaths from Populations w/out Comorbidities: 10,143
Total Deaths age group 15-24: 1,318
Deaths as a percentage of total deaths age group 15-24: .2 %

Sadly I don't have the # of deaths in the age group 15-24 population that did vs didn't have comorbidity. I would guess the % that died from the disease in that age group without comorbidity is a number less than 100 and probably less than 50. The 15-24-Year-old group also is the second-largest group by the percentage of the population, trailing the 25-34 YO group by .9%.

I don't understand the rationale behind shutting down based on these numbers if it truly is about student safety.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
IdaAg93

stwinward

Post by stwinward » September 6th, 2020, 2:52 pm

I blame CA. Like it or not, they're quite liberal in their handling of the crisis, and we're in a conference with them.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 6th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Sadly I don't have the # of deaths in the age group 15-24 population that did vs didn't have comorbidity. I would guess the % that died from the disease in that age group without comorbidity is a number less than 100 and probably less than 50. The 15-24-Year-old group also is the second-largest group by the percentage of the population, trailing the 25-34 YO group by .9%.

I don't understand the rationale behind shutting down based on these numbers if it truly is about student safety.
You do not understand the mathematics of a pandemic. It is not just about student safety. It is about not holding events where participants and spectators are in close proximity to each other. Look at the data and confirm for yourself how we are where we are now because we "reopened" too soon. Right now our active cases are about where we were in June. We have not made progress even though Trump informed us it would be gone by Easter!. Infected students can in turn infect others including the elderly where the risk is much greater. Lamenting the loss of sporting events for a season is an incredibly selfish position to place yourself in. If we want to have a chance to return to some version of normalcy, everyone of us should do all we can to limit our exposure and hope with a concerted nationwide effort we can control the infection rate until effective vaccines and anti virals become available.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 2):
oleblu111Agezzz

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 6th, 2020, 4:56 pm

tinplater wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 4:25 pm
Madmartigan wrote:

You do not understand the mathematics of a pandemic. It is not just about student safety. It is about not holding events where participants and spectators are in close proximity to each other. Look at the data and confirm for yourself how we are where we are now because we "reopened" too soon. Right now our active cases are about where we were in June. We have not made progress even though Trump informed us it would be gone by Easter!. Infected students can in turn infect others including the elderly where the risk is much greater. Lamenting the loss of sporting events for a season is an incredibly selfish position to place yourself in. If we want to have a chance to return to some version of normalcy, everyone of us should do all we can to limit our exposure and hope with a concerted nationwide effort we can control the infection rate until effective vaccines and anti virals become available.
I would agree with you if you could conclusively demonstrate that the steps the MW is taking with regard to football will materially slow spread of the disease. What is an acceptable infection rate for you until vaccines and antivirals arrive? How long after a vaccine arrives do we have to do this? What if no vaccine arrives or the vaccines are only marginally helpful, do we have to do all we can to limit our exposure forever?

The CDC stated recently that 1/4 people in the US between 15-24 contemplated suicide in the prior 30 days. Do the inevitable increases in deaths in that age cohort to suicide and substance abuse matter? How many saved Covid deaths is worth a suicide death because that is the calculus we have to make. No solutions, only trade offs.

In Utah, as of this post, we have had 54,660 people test positive with the virus. We have 422 total deaths. Most models estimate we have at least 5x and perhaps 10x cases for every confirmed case. Let's go on the conservative side and estimate we have 250,000 Utahns that have contracted the virus. Nursing homes in Utah account for only 1,205 confirmed tests but 186 deaths.

Excluding the nursing home population, 236 Utahns have died. If we do the same math for cases we can subtract 6,000 cases from that total. So we have 236 deaths and 244,000 cases outside nursing homes, or about 1 in 1,000 infections. To me, this means we have successfully and materially slowed the spread of the disease, or the disease is not sufficiently lethal to non-nursing home residents, to justify continued measures.

HS football in Utah is in its 4th week. How many outbreaks at HS football games in Utah, or anywhere for that matter? How many deaths and cases can be traced back to those games? Let me know please because those are events where students and spectators are in close proximity and since you apparently really understand the math of a pandemic, we should have exponential growth in cases by now. Yet CLI and ILI symptoms as a percentage of hospital or clinical visits are low, hospitalizations are low, ICU admissions are low.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
BigVBAgutahcountyaggie

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » September 6th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 4:56 pm
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I would agree with you if you could conclusively demonstrate that the steps the MW is taking with regard to football will materially slow spread of the disease. What is an acceptable infection rate for you until vaccines and antivirals arrive? How long after a vaccine arrives do we have to do this? What if no vaccine arrives or the vaccines are only marginally helpful, do we have to do all we can to limit our exposure forever?

The CDC stated recently that 1/4 people in the US between 15-24 contemplated suicide in the prior 30 days. Do the inevitable increases in deaths in that age cohort to suicide and substance abuse matter? How many saved Covid deaths is worth a suicide death because that is the calculus we have to make. No solutions, only trade offs.

In Utah, as of this post, we have had 54,660 people test positive with the virus. We have 422 total deaths. Most models estimate we have at least 5x and perhaps 10x cases for every confirmed case. Let's go on the conservative side and estimate we have 250,000 Utahns that have contracted the virus. Nursing homes in Utah account for only 1,205 confirmed tests but 186 deaths.

Excluding the nursing home population, 236 Utahns have died. If we do the same math for cases we can subtract 6,000 cases from that total. So we have 236 deaths and 244,000 cases outside nursing homes, or about 1 in 1,000 infections. To me, this means we have successfully and materially slowed the spread of the disease, or the disease is not sufficiently lethal to non-nursing home residents, to justify continued measures.

HS football in Utah is in its 4th week. How many outbreaks at HS football games in Utah, or anywhere for that matter? How many deaths and cases can be traced back to those games? Let me know please because those are events where students and spectators are in close proximity and since you apparently really understand the math of a pandemic, we should have exponential growth in cases by now. Yet CLI and ILI symptoms as a percentage of hospital or clinical visits are low, hospitalizations are low, ICU admissions are low.
Finally, a reasonable discussion. Thanks to all three of you.

My preference is to error on the side of caution regarding COVID. However, with the rapid 15 minute test, I think it’s possible to play football and introduce safety measures to minimize transmission.

I wouldn’t attend a game in a full stadium, but would among those shown over the weekend with reduced crowds, social distancing, and masks.
Last edited by ChowderAggie on September 6th, 2020, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 6th, 2020, 5:07 pm

High school and these other conferences are showing it can be done. There is no reason we cant play football this year.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » September 6th, 2020, 5:24 pm

tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I understand the mathematics of the pandemic just fine. Your main points are based on having full stadiums. I never stated we should have full stadiums. I think mostly or all the way empty stadiums are the way to go. I think we can have a very safe environment for everyone if strict controls are put on testing the players and not having fans in stands. It's an incredibly selfish position for you to put yourself in when you don't consider all the revenue and potential jobs lost in the USU AD as a result of getting zero revenue this year from football.
BigVBAg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 5:24 pm
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I understand the mathematics of the pandemic just fine. Your main points are based on having full stadiums. I never stated we should have full stadiums. I think mostly or all the way empty stadiums are the way to go. I think we can have a very safe environment for everyone if strict controls are put on testing the players and not having fans in stands. It's an incredibly selfish position for you to put yourself in when you don't consider all the revenue and potential jobs lost in the USU AD as a result of getting zero revenue this year from football.
One of the biggest symptoms is fever. Make e everyone wear masks and take everyone's temperature as they enter. Wherw there is a will there is a way. We could have made it work in the conference but unfortunately there are a lot of liberal states that are within our geography that made it impossible.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » September 6th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

One of the biggest symptoms is fever. Make e everyone wear masks and take everyone's temperature as they enter. Wherw there is a will there is a way. We could have made it work in the conference but unfortunately there are a lot of liberal states that are within our geography that made it impossible.
How about a thermometer-helmet that works like those color-changing mood rings.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
AggiePT

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 6th, 2020, 6:22 pm

tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Help me understand what would be different if we opened up a month later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » September 6th, 2020, 6:22 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 5:03 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 4:56 pm
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Finally, a reasonable discussion. Thanks to all three of you.

My preference is to error on the side of caution regarding COVID. However, with the rapid 15 minute test, I think it’s possible to play football and introduce safety measures to minimize transmission.

I wouldn’t attend a game in a full stadium, but would among those shown over the weekend with reduced crowds, social distancing, and masks.
Solid take. I think the hardest part of all this is financial. It costs a lot to administer those tests daily. It also costs a lot to run games without concession or ticket sales.
ChowderAggie

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » September 6th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Madmartigan wrote:

I can't agree more. It is absolute absurdity. Fear mongering and a bunch of "what if" thinking. There's no science in these decisions, just what if... Just disgusted by the fear. Grandma is driving the bus and we can't get off. Crazy town!!!
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 3):
aggies22BigVBAgutahcountyaggie

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » September 6th, 2020, 10:18 pm

tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

You see, this is the fear statement that is keeping us in lockdown. It's the "what if..." The evidence is there and the pandemic has to burn through the population. You protect the elderly and keep us healthy ones away from them, then you have herd immunity. If we play this game, then I shouldn't drive to the game due to the risk. In Idaho, I have a 2/5 of 1% chance of getting covid, per the reported stats. And if I get covid, the odds are 1/10 of 1% to die.

Really, we are in lock down for that!!?? So stop it. How absurd is this thinking. STOP.

Governor of Florida just reported that they'll never do a lockdown again. He gets it.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 6th, 2020, 10:25 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 10:18 pm
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

You see, this is the fear statement that is keeping us in lockdown. It's the "what if..." The evidence is there and the pandemic has to burn through the population. You protect the elderly and keep us healthy ones away from them, then you have herd immunity. If we play this game, then I shouldn't drive to the game due to the risk. In Idaho, I have a 2/5 of 1% chance of getting covid, per the reported stats. And if I get covid, the odds are 1/10 of 1% to die.

Really, we are in lock down for that!!?? So stop it. How absurd is this thinking. STOP.

Governor of Florida just reported that they'll never do a lockdown again. He gets it.
Could not agree more. There is risk in everything. Take the necessary precautions and move on at your own risk. Everything should be open and let people decide based on their level of risk (football included). Just like with more extreme avtivities (whitewater rafting, cliff jumping etc that i enjoy) i presume the risk but government should not dictate to me about participating in these.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 6th, 2020, 10:36 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

+1000. If your vulnerable take precautions but the healthy should be able to live life. Why is it that only covid lives matter?
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
aggies22

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 7th, 2020, 10:01 am

IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

The state with over 600k cases, and almost 12000 deaths gets it? Ok.

Edit: Numbers

Aggies All the Way!

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » September 7th, 2020, 12:56 pm

In Idaho, I have a 2/5 of 1% chance of getting covid, per the reported stats. And if I get covid, the odds are 1/10 of 1% to die.

Even COVID doesn’t want to go to Idaho. :scotsman:
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22BigVBAg

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » September 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

How is it lib er al to want to save lives and protect lives? Don't get me wrong, under controlled conditions I would have loved travelling to Logan to watch us beat Wazzu! While I agree that the PAC-12, MWC and Big 10 went too far I don't see that as being due to "liberalism". The Big-10 ain't in California and neither is the Mid-America.
These users thanked the author 72AgGrad for the post:
ChowderAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm

blueaggie wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 10:36 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

+1000. If your vulnerable take precautions but the healthy should be able to live life. Why is it that only covid lives matter?
As I have been saying for months, SOCIAL DECENCY should be the mantra. If you are sick, KEEP YOUR A$$ HOME!! If you are ill, the stats say you will get better! Let the rest of us go on living our lives. If you are in the target age group or immune-compromised, you SHOULD have been doing this ALREADY. If you fall into these categories, I doubt you show up to an 8 pm November kickoff in shorts and a t-shirt. WHY? Because you DON'T want to get SICK. Although at times it seems like many people are lacking, common sense needs to be employed here.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 7th, 2020, 3:50 pm

This is a Sandbox thread.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 7th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Having college football is much different than having high school games for one thing there are few if any season ticket holders so when a game gets canceled it is not to big of a deal, also national T.V. might be a problem if a game is cancelled. Keep in mind that some high local school games have been cancelled, and more could be.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 7th, 2020, 4:09 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm
blueaggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

As I have been saying for months, SOCIAL DECENCY should be the mantra. If you are sick, KEEP YOUR A$$ HOME!! If you are ill, the stats say you will get better! Let the rest of us go on living our lives. If you are in the target age group or immune-compromised, you SHOULD have been doing this ALREADY. If you fall into these categories, I doubt you show up to an 8 pm November kickoff in shorts and a t-shirt. WHY? Because you DON'T want to get SICK. Although at times it seems like many people are lacking, common sense needs to be employed here.
Hey guess what? We (I can't express myself without swearing) have been staying home and I'm about sick of people telling me to stay home. Those of that have immunompromised people in our lives have been doing it all along, we ARE NOT the ones causing this issue, so quit acting like we (I can't express myself without swearing) are. We deal with this all the time and know to stay home. If you want to say it's political or an overreaction, fine, I don't give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing), but we are already staying home, so quit telling us to like we're the (I can't express myself without swearing) problem.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
USU78

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Having college football is much different than having high school games for one thing there are few if any season ticket holders so when a game gets canceled it is not to big of a deal, also national T.V. might be a problem if a game is cancelled. Keep in mind that some high local school games have been cancelled, and more could be.
Good points oleblu. Hadn’t thought about season ticket holders, that does add a level of complexity. Do you know how the other conferences are handling it? Must have found a way to manage it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 7th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:09 pm
aggies22 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Hey guess what? We (I can't express myself without swearing) have been staying home and I'm about sick of people telling me to stay home. Those of that have immunompromised people in our lives have been doing it all along, we ARE NOT the ones causing this issue, so quit acting like we (I can't express myself without swearing) are. We deal with this all the time and know to stay home. If you want to say it's political or an overreaction, fine, I don't give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing), but we are already staying home, so quit telling us to like we're the (I can't express myself without swearing) problem.
I don’t think 22 is trying to blame whoever you think he is blaming.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 4):
aggies22AZ4AggieNationBigVBAgutahcountyaggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

How is it lib er al to want to save lives and protect lives? Don't get me wrong, under controlled conditions I would have loved travelling to Logan to watch us beat Wazzu! While I agree that the PAC-12, MWC and Big 10 went too far I don't see that as being due to "liberalism". The Big-10 ain't in California and neither is the Mid-America.
Big 10 schools having issues are in states with dem governors.
Last edited by slcagg on September 7th, 2020, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

This one clearly went over your head. No fingers were pointed at you, or others like you. Perhaps I should clarify. My point was that you, others like you, and those that fall in the target age group have most likely been taking care of themselves ALL ALONG! Those that don't fall into those categories NEED to be the ones that practice SOCIAL DECENCY. We've all gone out when we didn't feel well. It can't be that way any longer. Hence the KEEP YOUR A$$ HOME statement.

On a different note, if you are immune-compromised or are close to someone who is, you have my sympathy. I can't imagine not being able to jump up and do whatever I would like because of the increased risk of becoming sick. It would not be an easy life to have to lead.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 7th, 2020, 4:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

This one clearly went over your head. No fingers were pointed at you, or others like you. Perhaps I should clarify. My point was that you, others like you, and those that fall in the target age group have most likely been taking care of themselves ALL ALONG! Those that don't fall into those categories NEED to be the ones that practice SOCIAL DECENCY. We've all gone out when we didn't feel well. It can't be that way any longer. Hence the KEEP YOUR A$$ HOME statement.

On a different note, if you are immune-compromised or are close to someone who is, you have my sympathy. I can't imagine not being able to jump up and do whatever I would like because of the increased risk of becoming sick. It would not be an easy life to have to lead.
I get it. I wasn't throwing fire at you 22, well... I was, but it wasn't directed at you specifically. I'm honestly sick of hearing "if you're.... then stay home". I've read it dozens of times on this board and countless times elsewhere and it's getting old. I've been home for six months. I can count on one hand the number of places I've been in that time. Y'all have no idea the emotional and mental toll this has taken on my kids, not just my daughter that is compromised, but my healthy kids as well. I'm struggling, I'll admit it. Watching my kids missing out on so many things that their friends get to do.... knowing that there is nothing I can do about it to help them until this goes away or there is a vaccine or God forbid the worst possible outcome for my daughter, is absolutely gut wrenching. So, I took it personal and am having a hard time not taking it personal. Guys, this has even caused my wife to question her faith. My emotions are at the surface and after working all day to discover a busted sprinkler pipe sending my irrigation water everywhere for at least 6 hours, I reacted. I apologize for taking it out on you 22. I'm tired guys.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
ChowderAggieaggies22BigVBAg

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic