A real bonafide.....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
taniataylor

A real bonafide.....

Post by taniataylor » September 8th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Practice happened today....FWIW....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 5):
USU78slcaggBLUERUFiOAZ4AggieNationAggiesForever

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: A real bonafide.....

Post by USU78 » September 8th, 2020, 8:26 pm

:scotsman: :notworthy: :thumbsup: :rock: :thumbsup: :notworthy: :scotsman:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm

That's great news I don't know what that means but it is good news i guess.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
RockyMountainHigh

GUS

Post by GUS » September 8th, 2020, 10:07 pm

I hope it means that some kind of season is possible.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 8th, 2020, 11:39 pm

taniataylor wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 8:10 pm
Any insight as to why? Don’t want to get any hopes
up here...

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 9th, 2020, 12:07 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 11:39 pm
taniataylor wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 8:10 pm
Any insight as to why? Don’t want to get any hopes
up here...
Well, the NCAA is allowing the teams to practice, so when their season starts they will be ready. Might as well het on that playbook as early as possible
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 9th, 2020, 1:35 am

I doubt we play in the Spring. Would seem a little silly for the MW, MAC, P12, and Big 10 to do their own thing in the spring after everyone else is done and a 2020 champion has already been named. Ice football in February when I want to be watching basketball is not my idea of a good time. Hopefully there is still a real possibility of course reversal and a fall season, although this “double down” release from the MW doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

“Player safety” is an absolute BS excuse. A controlled environment with frequent testing and a strong incentive for players to actually use common sense and follow social distancing protocols (i.e, the carrot of actual games to stay healthy for to play in) would seem to be much better way to keep players healthy.

The real reason for this is liability risk. Although it remains to be seen how courts would deal with it, and the headache of a lawsuit and legal fees are certainly a possibility, I am not sure yet that I really buy COVID-19 as being a real liability risk with significant exposure for a university.

The biggest problem is that it would seem to be difficult to prove where a player contracted the illness. You could also analogize it to the flu or cold (diseases of life passed through community spread), which at least in the workers’ comp context are not compensable occupational diseases. Obviously that’s not a perfect analogy, but as a defense attorney, I wouldn’t hate defending that case. Get that expert affidavit put together and tee up the summary judgment motion on causation.

COVID-19 should be taken seriously, but it sure strikes me that with the 6 months the MW had, there could have been plans put in place to safely move forward with a fall season.

Based on the full statement linked in the above tweet, keep tabs on the NCAA meeting on September 16. If any course reversal occurs, I’d guess it’d be the result of whatever is discussed at that meeting. If the NCAA says something that would justify the MW reversing course, it’s a way for the MW to save a little face for the initial rash decision to cancel.

As with everything in today’s overly-politicized world, both the response to COVID-19 (i.e., the “shut everything down” people) and counter-response to COVID-19 (i.e., the people that don’t take common sense precautions like wearing masks in public and maintaining social distancing) have gone way overboard, IMO.

End mini-rant.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
slcaggUSU78Machismoaggies22AZ4AggieNation

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 8:48 am

Thanks Tania.

This question is not directed at you.

we can practice but we can’t play? Seems a bit odd to me.

Btw schools in the big 10 are doing this as well.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am

I hope it means that there is potential for Aggie football in early October.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 8:55 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am
If California, Hawaii and New Mexico teams cannot play due to state restrictions I’d hope the remaining 7 find a way to play each other.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Machismoaggies22

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » September 9th, 2020, 9:05 am

Good news. It would be a dream come true if Utah State could put together an October/November schedule with something like Wyoming, AFA, Colorado St, Boise St, UNLV, Reno, BYU.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post (total 4):
slcaggAZ4AggieNationAggiesForeverjpswensen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 9:09 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:05 am
Good news. It would be a dream come true if Utah State could put together an October/November schedule with something like Wyoming, AFA, Colorado St, Boise St, UNLV, Reno, BYU.
Exactly!

The question I have is can the conference allow only a portion of the teams to play. Or do we all have to live by the California restrictions?
Last edited by slcagg on September 9th, 2020, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 9:11 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 1:35 am
I doubt we play in the Spring. Would seem a little silly for the MW, MAC, P12, and Big 10 to do their own thing in the spring after everyone else is done and a 2020 champion has already been named. Ice football in February when I want to be watching basketball is not my idea of a good time. Hopefully there is still a real possibility of course reversal and a fall season, although this “double down” release from the MW doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

“Player safety” is an absolute BS excuse. A controlled environment with frequent testing and a strong incentive for players to actually use common sense and follow social distancing protocols (i.e, the carrot of actual games to stay healthy for to play in) would seem to be much better way to keep players healthy.

The real reason for this is liability risk. Although it remains to be seen how courts would deal with it, and the headache of a lawsuit and legal fees are certainly a possibility, I am not sure yet that I really buy COVID-19 as being a real liability risk with significant exposure for a university.

The biggest problem is that it would seem to be difficult to prove where a player contracted the illness. You could also analogize it to the flu or cold (diseases of life passed through community spread), which at least in the workers’ comp context are not compensable occupational diseases. Obviously that’s not a perfect analogy, but as a defense attorney, I wouldn’t hate defending that case. Get that expert affidavit put together and tee up the summary judgment motion on causation.

COVID-19 should be taken seriously, but it sure strikes me that with the 6 months the MW had, there could have been plans put in place to safely move forward with a fall season.

Based on the full statement linked in the above tweet, keep tabs on the NCAA meeting on September 16. If any course reversal occurs, I’d guess it’d be the result of whatever is discussed at that meeting. If the NCAA says something that would justify the MW reversing course, it’s a way for the MW to save a little face for the initial rash decision to cancel.

As with everything in today’s overly-politicized world, both the response to COVID-19 (i.e., the “shut everything down” people) and counter-response to COVID-19 (i.e., the people that don’t take common sense precautions like wearing masks in public and maintaining social distancing) have gone way overboard, IMO.

End mini-rant.
Yeah you are spot on. You can take Covid seriously and still proceed with life. It might mean small crowds this season and mask mandates for those that go, but it shouldn't mean just shutdown the season. Sports have continued in this country and around the world. They aren't the same. NBA has a bubble, baseball is playing with no fans, college football and the NFL are being played with limited fans, but life is going on. I understand some states and programs will have to shutdown for this season, but it should be a school by school basis. If a school in a certain area cannot play, I support that and good for them for doing the right thing, but it shouldn't affect everyone else in the conference.

I'm not even an Ohio State fan, so it is weird I constantly bring them up. It is crazy though that Ohio State which is the preseason number 1 (on many websites) cannot play football. The Big Ten is screwing over possibly the best team in the country. They should be let out of their arrangement and allowed to play independent this season and compete for a national title. Justin Fields would have been competing with Trevor Lawrence for the Heisman and that was taken away from him as well.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » September 9th, 2020, 9:30 am

I was in Fort Collins last week on biz, and a friend, who son plays for Wyo cowboys, says they have been practicing since mid summer. They have been in camp like it was a regular season.

so why haven't the Ags been doing the same if it is allowed??? if nothing else, for practice for young guys.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » September 9th, 2020, 9:49 am

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:09 am
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Exactly!

The question I have is can the conference allow only a portion of the teams to play. Or do we all have to live by the California restrictions?
Can't they just schedule each other outside of conference play? No conference championship, just for sport.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 9th, 2020, 9:52 am

sammyhagar wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:30 am
I was in Fort Collins last week on biz, and a friend, who son plays for Wyo cowboys, says they have been practicing since mid summer. They have been in camp like it was a regular season.

so why haven't the Ags been doing the same if it is allowed??? if nothing else, for practice for young guys.
I think it's to help save our Players Lives.
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 9:56 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:49 am
slcagg wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Exactly!

Can't they just schedule each other outside of conference play? No conference championship, just for sport.
I don’t know. I hope so!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggiesdotcom

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 9th, 2020, 11:03 am

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
NVAggie wrote:
If California, Hawaii and New Mexico teams cannot play due to state restrictions I’d hope the remaining 7 find a way to play each other.
At the beginning of this the commissioner mentioned that was a possibility.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2020, 11:13 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:49 am
slcagg wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Exactly!

With the eligibility freeze, they may as well play as many games as possible with whoever would like to try and participate.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueAggieAZ4AggieNation

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2020, 11:17 am

Alabama drove the bus for the SEC. What does Boise State think about playing in the fall? The only benefit of playing at this point in time would be to recoup what we could from the lost TV revenue. Is there a TV partner with room left to put our games on TV? Are they even interested any more? If there isn't money to be made, there probably isn't a reason to play. If we do move forward with games and there is still TV money to be made, you ABSOLUTELY MUST cut out those (California schools, Hawaii, New Mexico) that don't participate.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcaggMachismoAZ4AggieNation

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 9th, 2020, 12:09 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:17 am
Alabama drove the bus for the SEC. What does Boise State think about playing in the fall? The only benefit of playing at this point in time would be to recoup what we could from the lost TV revenue. Is there a TV partner with room left to put our games on TV? Are they even interested any more? If there isn't money to be made, there probably isn't a reason to play. If we do move forward with games and there is still TV money to be made, you ABSOLUTELY MUST cut out those (California schools, Hawaii, New Mexico) that don't participate.
You are spot on. If we are going to play at this point it has to make financial sense. If we play and don't recoup TV money we are worse off financially then not playing when you factor in travel expenses.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22oleblu111

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 9th, 2020, 12:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
NVAggie wrote:
And yet we have prep teams playing in our state. Check out the evolution of social distancing. Starting this March, the CDC guideline was 3 feet, then it grew to 6 feet, and last week I noted a van embracing 10 feet distancing. This is getting, and has gotten wildly out of hand.

If someone is carrying COVID 19 in a building, there is no safe space due to the HVAC that will carry whatever orbit of the virus throughout the facility. So many levels of the COVID 19 infection are in the mix and so many of these strains are virtually benign.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78slcagg

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 9th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I would believe someone pointedly explained about the lost T V revenue and then any Bowl game bonus income being absolutely squandered by cancelling the season. REALITY may now be arriving in the Ivory Towers.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 10th, 2020, 6:31 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 12:40 pm
If someone is carrying COVID 19 in a building, there is no safe space due to the HVAC that will carry whatever orbit of the virus throughout the facility. So many levels of the COVID 19 infection are in the mix and so many of these strains are virtually benign.
Apparently you haven't seen the big changes USU made in their HVAC systems on campus to filter out all of the COVID-19 germs. Was touted in the latest issue of Utah State Magazine, now available. Got mine in the mail yesterday.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

Donman

Post by Donman » September 10th, 2020, 7:49 am

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed. But if we are practicing, why can't we play games?

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » September 10th, 2020, 8:40 am

AggiesForever wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:31 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Apparently you haven't seen the big changes USU made in their HVAC systems on campus to filter out all of the COVID-19 germs. Was touted in the latest issue of Utah State Magazine, now available. Got mine in the mail yesterday.
As an engineer specializing in HVAC systems in anxious to find out what the University has been doing.

As far as NavyBlueAggie's statement of "... there's no safe space..." I find that to be a simplistic take.

According to the research done by ASHRAE, Covid-19 can spread through HVAC system, however, some types of systems are better at virus containment than others. There are some that I'd argue are very safe, such as the systems that go into isolation wards at hospitals. There are also some simple things that can be done to minimize the risk to most buildings.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that this virus is not completely novel anymore. We know, largely, what we're dealing with and with careful measures we can, and should, get back to something resembling normalcy.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post (total 2):
AZ4AggieNationaggies22

dogie

Post by dogie » September 10th, 2020, 10:48 am

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:48 am
Thanks Tania.

This question is not directed at you.

we can practice but we can’t play? Seems a bit odd to me.

Btw schools in the big 10 are doing this as well.
In contrast, Navy can play but can’t practice. I should put “play” in quotation marks, because I’m not sure they even did that.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » September 12th, 2020, 9:28 am

Any truth to the rumor that we reinstated the shaw kid and a bunch of players boycotted the first practice??

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 12th, 2020, 12:41 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:28 am
Any truth to the rumor that we reinstated the shaw kid and a bunch of players boycotted the first practice??
I dont know about Shaw, but no, there was no boycott
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 12th, 2020, 12:43 pm

taniataylor wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 12:41 pm
GordoAggie wrote:
I dont know about Shaw, but no, there was no boycott
Excellent news.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 12th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I know it's early, but which QB is currently taking reps with the ones? Is Peasly fully recovered from his ACL?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 12th, 2020, 8:53 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 4:09 pm
I know it's early, but which QB is currently taking reps with the ones? Is Peasly fully recovered from his ACL?
I thought you knew it all ole great OCAggie :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

AZ4AggieNation

Post by AZ4AggieNation » September 12th, 2020, 9:54 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
Yeppers; they are actually practicing: helmets, using a football, more than just walk-thru's, working on their schemes/formations, etc..I think its gotta be mentally uplifting for the boys(and coaches) to actually be on the fields moving around with their brothers and the coaches!

Of course many "precautions" in place but at least they're doing something! Now why the MW can't consider a belated season and not see how soooooo many other (levels) of football competition are "making a concerted" effort to try and play....Nothing wrong with big-wigs saying, "We were pre-mature with our decisions but had the best interests of the players safety in mind...blah-blah..." "but now we are 100% going to make every effort for the season to work beginning in October!"....PLAY BALL.... :scotsman:
These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 3):
aggies22slcaggMachismo

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » September 13th, 2020, 8:00 am

I think heads should roll for the lost season. Perhaps it has been posted elsewhere but who exactly jumped the gun on this? Was it Hair, Cockett, Hartwell, California, all the other school's presidents? Who is to blame?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 13th, 2020, 11:36 am

YouEssYou wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 8:00 am
I think heads should roll for the lost season. Perhaps it has been posted elsewhere but who exactly jumped the gun on this? Was it Hair, Cockett, Hartwell, California, all the other school's presidents? Who is to blame?
School presidents are the ones who did the vote. Don’t know if it a simple majority was needed or what. My understanding cockett voted no football season.

Locked Previous topicNext topic