Mid Season Grades - Offense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GrandPoubah
Posts: 20
Joined: November 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by GrandPoubah » November 15th, 2020, 10:28 am

I’m pretty new to Utah State football...moved in from out of state and chose the Aggies as my team because I love to root for the underdog. I’ve come to realize that it might have been a bad choice, but once I make my call it will take a lot for me to change my mind.

Anyway, here goes....

Offense -
QB - F - pfft
RB - C- - might be the closest to be an average MW position group. I’m inclined to say this is our best position group. However, would you take any of these guys over the guys we’ve played in the previous 4 games? I didn’t think so.
WR - D- - imprecise routes, unable to locate the ball and bad high point. When a player makes the same mistake 3 times in a game and no one is talking to them when they come off the field, that shows how bad the coaching has become. I think this position group coaching might be the worst on the O. Actually seems to have regressed vs previous games.
OL - D+ - was supposed to be our most talented/experienced position group. Giving up penetration, not great pass blocks, all are waist benders other than the LG. Fresno actually penetrated the OL unevenly and opened up holes. Also, did y’all notice they block with heads down on XPs and at least one Fresno playercleared our guys on almost every XP/FG attempt (blocking the first one)? I mean, can there be no in game adjustment?

Overall, I watch our O and they celebrate after making one good play even when down multiple touchdowns. They feel robotic with little passion. All are there to just do the minimum to fulfill their job, except the RBs. Shows they done have a love/trust for each other.

We don’t have a single position group that is at least an average/acceptable MWC group other than our kick returner/team????? I don’t think we do.

It’s sad given the 2 years of the best recruiting classes Utah State has ever seen (so I’ve heard). I know these guys need some time to grow up, but given where we are and the fact that this year doesn’t count, may as well let those young guys take over at half if we are down by 10 or more.
These users thanked the author GrandPoubah for the post:
BLUERUFiO



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10679
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6605 times
Been thanked: 4061 times
Contact:

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by aggies22 » November 15th, 2020, 11:47 am

A lot of young guys got reps in the secondary yesterday.

As far as WR goes we are senior heavy. There aren't many young players to give reps to.



slcagg
Posts: 6334
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1355 times
Been thanked: 1078 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by slcagg » November 15th, 2020, 11:48 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:28 am
I’m pretty new to Utah State football...moved in from out of state and chose the Aggies as my team because I love to root for the underdog. I’ve come to realize that it might have been a bad choice, but once I make my call it will take a lot for me to change my mind.

Anyway, here goes....

Offense -
QB - F - pfft
RB - C- - might be the closest to be an average MW position group. I’m inclined to say this is our best position group. However, would you take any of these guys over the guys we’ve played in the previous 4 games? I didn’t think so.
WR - D- - imprecise routes, unable to locate the ball and bad high point. When a player makes the same mistake 3 times in a game and no one is talking to them when they come off the field, that shows how bad the coaching has become. I think this position group coaching might be the worst on the O. Actually seems to have regressed vs previous games.
OL - D+ - was supposed to be our most talented/experienced position group. Giving up penetration, not great pass blocks, all are waist benders other than the LG. Fresno actually penetrated the OL unevenly and opened up holes. Also, did y’all notice they block with heads down on XPs and at least one Fresno playercleared our guys on almost every XP/FG attempt (blocking the first one)? I mean, can there be no in game adjustment?

Overall, I watch our O and they celebrate after making one good play even when down multiple touchdowns. They feel robotic with little passion. All are there to just do the minimum to fulfill their job, except the RBs. Shows they done have a love/trust for each other.

We don’t have a single position group that is at least an average/acceptable MWC group other than our kick returner/team????? I don’t think we do.

It’s sad given the 2 years of the best recruiting classes Utah State has ever seen (so I’ve heard). I know these guys need some time to grow up, but given where we are and the fact that this year doesn’t count, may as well let those young guys take over at half if we are down by 10 or more.
Don’t give up!

Btw welcome to the area. Cache valley is as good of place to live as anywhere imo.



rAggie
Posts: 551
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 194 times
Contact:

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by rAggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

The more I see of this team the more I am convinced that almost everyone involved was planning on a year off.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
AngusAgAggieBlues



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1611
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 15th, 2020, 1:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:A lot of young guys got reps in the secondary yesterday.

As far as WR goes we are senior heavy. There aren't many young players to give reps to.
When did Ajani Carter get moved to safety? I was expecting to see him step up and be a target for us this year.



Yossarian
Posts: 4509
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 788 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by Yossarian » November 15th, 2020, 4:00 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:A lot of young guys got reps in the secondary yesterday.

As far as WR goes we are senior heavy. There aren't many young players to give reps to.
When did Ajani Carter get moved to safety? I was expecting to see him step up and be a target for us this year.
He'll have a better chance catching a pass from the opposing QB than USU's.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
ususportssam tingey



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1246
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 416 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 15th, 2020, 8:09 pm

I think Warren is as good as any running back in the conference. It’s hard to say though because our passing game is just so bad...
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
BLUERUFiO



Jjoey52
Posts: 3619
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by Jjoey52 » November 15th, 2020, 8:15 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:28 am
I’m pretty new to Utah State football...moved in from out of state and chose the Aggies as my team because I love to root for the underdog. I’ve come to realize that it might have been a bad choice, but once I make my call it will take a lot for me to change my mind.

Anyway, here goes....

Offense -
QB - F - pfft
RB - C- - might be the closest to be an average MW position group. I’m inclined to say this is our best position group. However, would you take any of these guys over the guys we’ve played in the previous 4 games? I didn’t think so.
WR - D- - imprecise routes, unable to locate the ball and bad high point. When a player makes the same mistake 3 times in a game and no one is talking to them when they come off the field, that shows how bad the coaching has become. I think this position group coaching might be the worst on the O. Actually seems to have regressed vs previous games.
OL - D+ - was supposed to be our most talented/experienced position group. Giving up penetration, not great pass blocks, all are waist benders other than the LG. Fresno actually penetrated the OL unevenly and opened up holes. Also, did y’all notice they block with heads down on XPs and at least one Fresno playercleared our guys on almost every XP/FG attempt (blocking the first one)? I mean, can there be no in game adjustment?

Overall, I watch our O and they celebrate after making one good play even when down multiple touchdowns. They feel robotic with little passion. All are there to just do the minimum to fulfill their job, except the RBs. Shows they done have a love/trust for each other.

We don’t have a single position group that is at least an average/acceptable MWC group other than our kick returner/team????? I don’t think we do.

It’s sad given the 2 years of the best recruiting classes Utah State has ever seen (so I’ve heard). I know these guys need some time to grow up, but given where we are and the fact that this year doesn’t count, may as well let those young guys take over at half if we are down by 10 or more.
Welcome to the board, I retired here in Logan a few years ago and adopted the Aggies as my team. I got here when the ascent began, you are here at the worst team in many years. Things will get better, as the AD will make the next hire, not boosters. Look at the bright side, the basketball program is very good.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Aggie84025
Posts: 3080
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1042 times

Re: Mid Season Grades - Offense

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:53 am
The more I see of this team the more I am convinced that almost everyone involved was planning on a year off.
I agree, for sure Gary was hoping the season was cancelled.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic