The OC and new system is the issue

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CrazyAg

The OC and new system is the issue

Post by CrazyAg » November 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Our coordinator doesn't know what play action is for. 3rd and goal from the 17 and we go play action. What is the purpose there? Do we think we are holding a LB in that situation? All it does is make us late, and of course we took a sack.

Then we went play action to throw outside vertical routes. QB doesn't have the arm strength to play action and then throw go routes. Who are we trying to hold when we play action and throw a go route? The corner's backs are turned. We under threw both times we tried it.

We don't have quick throws. Our QBs have not been taught to rhythm throw and read. QBs are guessing, not reading. This is a bad system and the coaches have not taught the QBs how to read, who to read. Shelley drops back and then runs around hoping someone will come open. He seldom throws quickly in rhythm. This is a coaching and system issue, and Shelley is taking the blame. Peabley was just as bad.

Our 3rd and 7 to 10 calls are just pathetic. I like Maile, but he can't install an offense at this point. As a result we can't score, and he has NO chance to have a win this year.
Last edited by CrazyAg on November 14th, 2020, 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Intermeddler

Re: The OC and new system is the issue

Post by Intermeddler » November 14th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Theres no system that makes Shelley a good QB. The issues aren’t mutually exclusive but Shelley is the worst QB I can recall watching at Utah State.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
brownjeansAggieFBObsession

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 14th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Leon Jackson was in a bad system also. They are both pretty similar. Very athletic but stuck in terrible systems. Maybe neither is a good QB but they both struggled because of the system in place was awful then and now.

stang

Post by stang » November 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Just out of curiosity I decided to compare Shelley and Leon Jackson's stats side-by-side, noting that obviously a four-game sample size isn't very big.

LJIII's career - 58.2% completion, 100.5 passing ypg, 117.4 qbr, 4.2 yards per passing attempt, 2.3 yards per carry, 176 punts
Shelley - 51.5% completion, 105 passing ypg, 89.78 qbr, 6.4 yards per passing attempt 2.1 yards per carry, 0 punts

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 14th, 2020, 8:45 pm

So... really similar, but at least everyone liked LJIII and he was good for some punts.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 14th, 2020, 8:49 pm

stang wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Just out of curiosity I decided to compare Shelley and Leon Jackson's stats side-by-side, noting that obviously a four-game sample size isn't very big.

LJIII's career - 58.2% completion, 100.5 passing ypg, 117.4 qbr, 4.2 yards per passing attempt, 2.3 yards per carry, 176 punts
Shelley - 51.5% completion, 105 passing ypg, 89.78 qbr, 6.4 yards per passing attempt 2.1 yards per carry, 0 punts
Wait did Leon really punt it 176 times? Was the full time punter? I really can’t remember.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:00 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 8:49 pm
stang wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Wait did Leon really punt it 176 times? Was the full time punter? I really can’t remember.
Yeah, he was the full time punter.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 14th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Honestly Leon's offensive line was even worse.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 10:10 pm

It's hard to watch. But how many dropped passes. Though, I have to imagine it's hard being a receiver and never knowing where the ball might go. Let's just run the good old AF offense for now.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 15th, 2020, 1:14 am

Don’t have a coach or system putting our experienced players in the right place. Why isn’t Savon getting 10 touches a game? Why? Because this scheme is a mess and the poor QB has to try and run it. The OC has no clue how to scheme against MW talent nor how to get easy or quick throws to playmakers.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 15th, 2020, 1:46 am

Why not run more jet sweeps to Thompkins? He has the speed, and we always motion the receiver before we run it up the middle anyways, so why not fake it and run outside? We have to be more creative on offense instead of simple run up the middle or a screen pass.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 15th, 2020, 7:44 am

CrazyAg wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 1:14 am
Don’t have a coach or system putting our experienced players in the right place. Why isn’t Savon getting 10 touches a game? Why? Because this scheme is a mess and the poor QB has to try and run it. The OC has no clue how to scheme against MW talent nor how to get easy or quick throws to playmakers.
Because he plays WR and he can’t catch the ball.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 15th, 2020, 7:44 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 1:46 am
Why not run more jet sweeps to Thompkins? He has the speed, and we always motion the receiver before we run it up the middle anyways, so why not fake it and run outside? We have to be more creative on offense instead of simple run up the middle or a screen pass.
Agree we run the fake to him but never give it to him.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 15th, 2020, 7:51 am

At this point, we should just snap wildcat all game long.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 9:34 am

The OC and the assistant OC were unavailable for Fresno. I wonder who called the plays? The Logan High coach? As horrible as our offensive system is? At this point play calls, and even the plays themselves aren't the issue. It's pass blocking and receiving, and what appears to be a real disconnect with the basic coaching strategy of understanding your player skillsets and putting them in positions to be successful.

Does anyone need to see another pass dropped/misplayed by one of our TE's? CMON, move on. This week Frank should bring Shaq Bond over and give him some plays at WR and any other DB who can catch. Next bring a few LB's and DE's over to see if they can catch the ball. Move the current TE's to special teams.

On the good side, our OL didn't let people into the pocket unblocked like they did the first 3 weeks. It actually looked like the Olineman knew the play call and their assignments for the first time this year. But, when it counted, they got beat. That' s coaching and discipline

Once again our offense breaks down when we go into a hurry up. It hurts us more than the other team.

Newsflash, Gary isn't the only coach who needs to go. The offensive coaching staff should be gone asap

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2020, 9:38 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:34 am
The OC and the assistant OC were unavailable for Fresno. I wonder who called the plays? The Logan High coach? As horrible as our offensive system is? At this point play calls, and even the plays themselves aren't the issue. It's pass blocking and receiving, and what appears to be a real disconnect with the basic coaching strategy of understanding your player skillsets and putting them in positions to be successful.

Does anyone need to see another pass dropped/misplayed by one of our TE's? CMON, move on. This week Frank should bring Shaq Bond over and give him some plays at WR and any other DB who can catch. Next bring a few LB's and DE's over to see if they can catch the ball. Move the current TE's to special teams.

On the good side, our OL didn't let people into the pocket unblocked like they did the first 3 weeks. It actually looked like the Olineman knew the play call and their assignments for the first time this year. But, when it counted, they got beat. That' s coaching and discipline

Once again our offense breaks down when we go into a hurry up. It hurts us more than the other team.

Newsflash, Gary isn't the only coach who needs to go. The offensive coaching staff should be gone asap
All of the coaches will be gone in 4 weeks. Just got to ride this trainwreck out.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 9:40 am

CrazyAg wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 1:14 am
Run the WR sweep to Savon, hand the ball to him, he doesn't need to catch passes. Nathan would be another guy who could do that.

It's not a bread and butter play, but you mix it in and other things might open up.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
CrazyAg

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 10:01 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:38 am
El Sapo wrote:

All of the coaches will be gone in 4 weeks. Just got to ride this trainwreck out.
:cheers: Even with GA gone, I can't help thinking about what's been going on with our coaches? Was it a strike? It's a train wreck alright, Wow! It really looks like no one did anything coachwise until the season started, or maybe until GA was fired.

Shelley has a right to be angry IMHO. He's clearly our best player on offense, he wants to win and he's not getting any support. Yesterday was the first time I've seen a coach even talk to him on the sidelines. It's a miracle he hasn't been injured. If he wasn't pissed, I'd wonder if he cared. Like Gary never showed emotion and it really looked like he didn't care..(And it turns out that he actually didn't)

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 15th, 2020, 10:05 am

El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

:cheers: Even with GA gone, I can't help thinking about what's been going on with our coaches? Was it a strike? It's a train wreck alright, Wow! It really looks like no one did anything coachwise until the season started, or maybe until GA was fired.

Shelley has a right to be angry IMHO. He's clearly our best player on offense, he wants to win and he's not getting any support. Yesterday was the first time I've seen a coach even talk to him on the sidelines. It's a miracle he hasn't been injured. If he wasn't pissed, I'd wonder if he cared. Like Gary never showed emotion and it really looked like he didn't care..(And it turns out that he actually didn't)
From the games I’ve watched (all of them) I don’t even think Shelley is even a top 5 offensive player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttAggieFBObsession

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 15th, 2020, 10:06 am

He shouldn’t touch the ball anymore all season. Period.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 15th, 2020, 10:09 am

AgMan21 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:05 am
El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

From the games I’ve watched (all of them) I don’t even think Shelley is even a top 5 offensive player.

Jaylen Warren and Deven Thompkins are easily our best offensive players.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

coolag

Post by coolag » November 15th, 2020, 10:20 am

Well shelley has shown us duck season is definitely open and hot in cache valley.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Regulator of Class

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 15th, 2020, 10:51 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:01 am
El Sapo wrote:

You're on to something with the coaching staff, I know that at least 2 coaches have been big issues this year. They have divided the team and it shows.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 15th, 2020, 10:54 am

El Sapo wrote:
Shelley has a right to be angry IMHO. He's clearly our best player on offense, he wants to win and he's not getting any support.
Clearly our best player on offense? Did you really say clearly? His passes are not within 10 yards of the intended receiver. I have never seen a QB throw so many inaccurate passes. He is literally the worst QB I have ever seen.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 15th, 2020, 10:58 am

El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

What the hell are you even watching? He can’t even pass for 100 yards and he’s our best player ?

You’re just trolling, right? Nobody is that dumb.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

I am less than impressed with Bodies offense. It's unimaginative and does not play to his player's strengths. Doesn't seem like there is any timing between the QB and receivers. I suppose that is a problem of running off your experienced QB.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
USU78

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 15th, 2020, 11:37 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 1:46 am
Deven Thompkins has JoJo Natson type ability. Matt would do anything and use any method he could to get JoJo touches. The same cannot currently be said about the approach to getting the ball to Deven.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 11:41 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:51 am
El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

You're on to something with the coaching staff, I know that at least 2 coaches have been big issues this year. They have divided the team and it shows.
You see players having issues, you work on the player, You see one of the position groups underperforming you look at that groups coach. When we have a full on team wide FUBAR situation? That's Gary, and he hired these coaches.

Sad that I can see this kind of self inflicted implosion could taking years to fix.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:48 am

GUS wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:29 am
I am less than impressed with Bodies offense. It's unimaginative and does not play to his player's strengths. Doesn't seem like there is any timing between the QB and receivers. I suppose that is a problem of running off your experienced QB.
To have an to receiver QB timing you need some measure or repeatability in placement. When there is a 20 yard window of where that throw might be you can work on timing all you want and it won't result in better timing..lol

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 15th, 2020, 11:51 am

There is plenty of problems with this team 2 big time fumbles inside the red zone took away a lot of juice in this game. We are not a very talented team.

The new coach has his work cut out for him he needs to recruit a lot of kids into the system. He will be helped with the new transfer rules, so it is not all bleak for the future.

This is a critical hire, because the university is investing a great deal of money into the program with poor results on the field, and in the stands could make continuing to invest like that a real problem in the future.

So I hope the new year will bring wins on the field and a sold out stadium, with talks of expansion.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 15th, 2020, 11:55 am

oleblu111 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:51 am
There is plenty of problems with this team 2 big time fumbles inside the red zone took away a lot of juice in this game. We are not a very talented team.

The new coach has his work cut out for him he needs to recruit a lot of kids into the system. He will be helped with the new transfer rules, so it is not all bleak for the future.

This is a critical hire, because the university is investing a great deal of money into the program with poor results on the field, and in the stands could make continuing to invest like that a real problem in the future.

So I hope the new year will bring wins on the field and a sold out stadium, with talks of expansion.
I listened to an interview this week with Riley Jensen. He said the one of the biggest differences between now and when we were winning is talent. 5 years ago he’d walk through and their were legit d1 guys on the field. Now that number has been very much reduced.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2020, 12:01 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:55 am
oleblu111 wrote:

I listened to an interview this week with Riley Jensen. He said the one of the biggest differences between now and when we were winning is talent. 5 years ago he’d walk through and their were legit d1 guys on the field. Now that number has been very much reduced.
Did he say this because of bad recruiting? Just plain missed on guys? Guys not wanting to come here? Not getting coached up? Or all some or all of the above?

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 15th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 12:01 pm
slcagg wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:55 am
oleblu111 wrote:

Did he say this because of bad recruiting? Just plain missed on guys? Guys not wanting to come here? Not getting coached up? Or all some or all of the above?
Never said. But for a program like usu (a development program) id say all of the above.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie19

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm

coolag wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:20 am
Well shelley has shown us duck season is definitely open and hot in cache valley.
OK that's funny as hell. Just this idea that there are ducks in the air behind this OL is superhuman, and we have no retrievers!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:51 am
El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

I’ve heard the same. Was told by one person that GA erred in not bringing in more of his guys and a couple coaches were causing division and resentment towards Gary. Not sure how much the last part of that is true but there’s clearly divisions on the team.

Locked Previous topicNext topic