List your top 5 candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Slim80

Re: List your top 5 candidates

Post by Slim80 » November 24th, 2020, 11:03 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 10:55 am
I'll take Chris Peterson, Billy Napier, Brian Johnson, Lance Anderson, Dan Enos
I like this list, but I have questions about Chris Peterson. Is he even interested in head coaching anymore, let alone coach at USU? UW seems to have blown out the fire he had when at Boise. If we could get Boise Chris Peterson then sign him up! If its UW Chris Peterson then I'm not so sure.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2020, 11:10 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:I'll take Chris Peterson, Billy Napier, Brian Johnson, Lance Anderson, Dan Enos
JFW_AGGIES wrote:I'll take Chris Peterson, Billy Napier, Brian Johnson, Lance Anderson, Dan Enos
Yeah, I bet you would take Chris Peterson. We all would. But he’s gonna quit Washington and coach Utah State? That seems like a huge stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 24th, 2020, 11:20 am

Insights to keep in mind: JH mentioned at the news conference, twice, the CEO aspect and then went on to list the characteristics that is included in that title. He, interestingly, brought up BYU....twice. He also emphasized the need for an offensive perspective that the new coach would need to bring. Put those together and who do you have? Heck if I know. Here's my stab at five from which the new coach will come:
1. Someone who hasn't been mentioned
2. Lance Anderson
3. Jeff Grimes
4. Butch Jones
5. Choate

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 24th, 2020, 11:21 am

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 11:10 am
Yeah, I bet you would take Chris Peterson. We all would. But he’s gonna quit Washington and coach Utah State? That seems like a huge stretch.

For some reason I thought Chris Petersen was a scientologist, but he's not. But I digress, no way in hell he comes here. My list
Avalos, Lance Anderson, Harrell, Jay Hill, Choate

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2020, 11:22 am

Chris Petersen is as much of a fantasy as Urban Meyer. Both of them will get to pick their spot when they decide to get back into coaching. Billy Napier likely gets a P5 job. No on Dan Enos. He was not a good coach at Central Michigan and wasn't great as an offensive coordinator at Arkansas or Miami where he was fired after a losing season. Yes Cincinnati is obviously having a great year this year, but I see it more of him latching onto the momentum. Cincy won 11 games each of the past two seasons before he got there. I don't think this year they wouldn't be as good if they didn't hire Dan Enos.

Brian Johnson or Lance Anderson would be good. I'd be excited to see either of them in Logan next year.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 24th, 2020, 11:52 am

2004AG wrote:

When CP left WA he commented that he wanted to get into mgt consulting of some sort, but he wasn't going to return to coaching. I realize that could change.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2020, 12:28 pm

AngusAg wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 11:52 am
2004AG wrote:

When CP left WA he commented that he wanted to get into mgt consulting of some sort, but he wasn't going to return to coaching. I realize that could change.
Who really knows, but coaches retire all the time and get back into it. I mean Tony Larussa is freaking managing next year despite being older than dirt and having multiple DUIs.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » November 24th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Sean Lewis

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 24th, 2020, 1:54 pm

AngusAg wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 11:52 am
2004AG wrote:

Chris Peterson is not going to come here but just to be clear he never ever said he would not coach again. In fact he made sure he left that door open.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/was ... right-away

At his press conference today, Petersen discussed if he’s done coaching when asked.

"I’m not falling into that trick question...my whole plan is to get rested, to get recharged, and get redirected. Like the one thing I know is that I’m not ready to do nothing. I just gotta figure out where all this energy and this passion and inspiration goes. I don’t want it to be on the football field."

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 24th, 2020, 3:08 pm

AngusAg wrote:Insights to keep in mind: JH mentioned at the news conference, twice, the CEO aspect and then went on to list the characteristics that is included in that title. He, interestingly, brought up BYU....twice. He also emphasized the need for an offensive perspective that the new coach would need to bring. Put those together and who do you have? Heck if I know. Here's my stab at five from which the new coach will come:
2. Lance Anderson
3. Jeff Grimes
4. Butch Jones
5. Choate
I like Lance a lot but he is a defense guy and if Hartwell truly wants a offensive mind, Lance may not be the guy. Choate is also a defensive coach. Grimes and Butch Jones are offensive though. Image

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 24th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Pass on Grimes
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
Aglicious

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 24th, 2020, 3:27 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 3:08 pm
AngusAg wrote:Insights to keep in mind: JH mentioned at the news conference, twice, the CEO aspect and then went on to list the characteristics that is included in that title. He, interestingly, brought up BYU....twice. He also emphasized the need for an offensive perspective that the new coach would need to bring. Put those together and who do you have? Heck if I know. Here's my stab at five from which the new coach will come:
2. Lance Anderson
3. Jeff Grimes
4. Butch Jones
5. Choate
I like Lance a lot but he is a defense guy and if Hartwell truly wants a offensive mind, Lance may not be the guy. Choate is also a defensive coach. Grimes and Butch Jones are offensive though. Image
You're right, but JH qualified his criteria by saying if they go with a defensive guy, he needs to show a clear path ahead for a dynamic offense. We'll see.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » November 24th, 2020, 10:15 pm

1. Jay Hill
2. Choate
3. Avalos
4. Billy Napier
5. Butch Jones

I like the idea of a younger guy with HC experience at any level.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 24th, 2020, 10:53 pm

1.. Andy Avalos (DC-Oregon)
2. Marcus Freeman (DC- Cincinnati)
3.Curt Cignetti (HC- JMU)
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)
5. Graham Harrell (OC-USC) (we're too cheap)

AZ4AggieNation

Post by AZ4AggieNation » November 25th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 10:53 pm
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)
I am no authority on coaches for sure....just experienced a few of the names noted during Broc's recruitment in 2018/19.
Broc was super big on FCB programs but did consider three FCS teams: Weber St., JMU, and MSU. They each had staff and facilities very comparable to a lot of FBS teams for sure and each our winning programs! Cignetti at JMU was very helpful and confident about their program. Choate was energetic and motivating but definitely delegated a lot to his staff, and Hill was quite amazing actually..I know he does not have as many FBS contacts but he was impressive and commanding in his delivery and direction for his staff and program.

Also Zak Hill when he recruited Broc while at BSU and then again when he visited from ASU...Nice guy but not as charismatic as GA and Frank were on their visits...Also Harrell from USC was on again and off again...but very smart guy! I think I heard mentioned as hopefuls: Chadwell from CCU and Anderson from Arkansas St.; both coaches offered Broc and have newly amended and amazing facilities....I would say next to USU; Broc really liked Chadwell (some southern charm for sure!)

I hope that wasn't TMI but those are just personal notes from some names I have read mentioned here is all.

I do hope the boys take it to the Lobos tomorrow evening; a W would be special for what they've all had to contend with...(On a side note: they have been using Broc this week in practice on Defense also...He played a little OLB/DE his senior year; so who knows...He's 6'4+ so maybe that can help them some!) Anyways thanks for the support and listening.

Broc remains positive through all this..If you want to see his HUDL film from last year; I have a link here...It shows his TE and OLB play...See ya'll and go Aggies....

These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 5):
slcaggSlumJumAggie19ImakeitrainAGinNEIowa

AZ4AggieNation

Post by AZ4AggieNation » November 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm

*Typo; meant "was not super big on FCS programs but"* But as said before he liked USU, BSU and UNLV a lot....Anyways; thanks all...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 1st, 2020, 11:45 am

Aglicious wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 3:39 pm
Brian Johnson
Nick Sheridan
Jamey Chadwell
Kasey Dunn
Lance Leipold
Still my top 5....unless Chris Petersen is willing to take the job and wants to help us knock the BSU program down a notch in the pecking order after he helped build that program.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
slcagg

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 1st, 2020, 1:01 pm

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)
I am no authority on coaches for sure....just experienced a few of the names noted during Broc's recruitment in 2018/19.
Broc was super big on FCB programs but did consider three FCS teams: Weber St., JMU, and MSU. They each had staff and facilities very comparable to a lot of FBS teams for sure and each our winning programs! Cignetti at JMU was very helpful and confident about their program. Choate was energetic and motivating but definitely delegated a lot to his staff, and Hill was quite amazing actually..I know he does not have as many FBS contacts but he was impressive and commanding in his delivery and direction for his staff and program.

Also Zak Hill when he recruited Broc while at BSU and then again when he visited from ASU...Nice guy but not as charismatic as GA and Frank were on their visits...Also Harrell from USC was on again and off again...but very smart guy! I think I heard mentioned as hopefuls: Chadwell from CCU and Anderson from Arkansas St.; both coaches offered Broc and have newly amended and amazing facilities....I would say next to USU; Broc really liked Chadwell (some southern charm for sure!)

I hope that wasn't TMI but those are just personal notes from some names I have read mentioned here is all.

I do hope the boys take it to the Lobos tomorrow evening; a W would be special for what they've all had to contend with...(On a side note: they have been using Broc this week in practice on Defense also...He played a little OLB/DE his senior year; so who knows...He's 6'4+ so maybe that can help them some!) Anyways thanks for the support and listening.

Broc remains positive through all this..If you want to see his HUDL film from last year; I have a link here...It shows his TE and OLB play...See ya'll and go Aggies....

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

I would prefer a proven head coach so here is my top 5 of realistic coaches in no particular order

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate

FireWells

Post by FireWells » December 1st, 2020, 9:27 pm

Why are you guys excited about yost? He has been the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen. From what im hearing wells may be available sooner than later. You can probably have them both, and feel free to take colombi with them.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 1st, 2020, 9:30 pm

FireWells wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:27 pm
Why are you guys excited about yost? He has been the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen...
You haven't experienced him like we did. Look up USU's 2018 numbers.

Of course, our first round draftee QB operated behind a nearly all senior OL.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 9:35 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:01 pm
AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)

I would prefer a proven head coach so here is my top 5 of realistic coaches in no particular order

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
McElwain wasn’t fired for being losing a few football games. McElwain went into my head and right back out. He’s another mid season fire with questionable character issues who cracked under pressure.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 9:36 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:30 pm
FireWells wrote:
Why are you guys excited about yost? He has been the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen...

Yep we averaged 47 points a game the last season we had Yost. We scored more points against Michigan State than anyone else on their schedule including Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State. Yost wouldn't be my first choice, but you provide USU with one of the best offenses in the nation and you deserve to at least have your name mentioned.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 9:37 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:35 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
McElwain wasn’t fired for being losing a few football games. McElwain went into my head and right back out. He’s another mid season fire with questionable character issues who cracked under pressure.
Cracked all the way to the SEC Championship game back to back years. There would be many worse choices than Jim McElwain. He shouldn't lie about death threats though.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 1st, 2020, 9:48 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
Bingo!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm

FireWells wrote:
Why are you guys excited about yost? He has been the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen. From what im hearing wells may be available sooner than later. You can probably have them both, and feel free to take colombi with them.
Why are you here?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 9:56 pm

FireWells wrote:Why are you guys excited about yost? He has been the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen. From what im hearing wells may be available sooner than later. You can probably have them both, and feel free to take colombi with them.
You’re gonna fire Wells after two seasons ?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 1st, 2020, 9:56 pm

McElwain won conference coach of the year in 3 different FBS conferences (MWC, SEC, MAC) within a 5 year period. That’s pretty impressive. We’d be dumb not to consider him if he expressed interest.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:37 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
Cracked all the way to the SEC Championship game back to back years. There would be many worse choices than Jim McElwain. He shouldn't lie about death threats though.
And Gary took Wisconsin to the big 10 CCG.

I agree mcelwain is an excellent coach. I just don’t think we can afford fake death threat drama with the current state of our program.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 10:02 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:56 pm
McElwain won conference coach of the year in 3 different FBS conferences (MWC, SEC, MAC) within a 5 year period. That’s pretty impressive. We’d be dumb not to consider him if he expressed interest.
I do not question his qualifications.

I question his integrity and his fit given where our program currently is.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 1st, 2020, 10:04 pm

1. Jay Hill
2. Graham Harrell
3. Sean Lewis
4. Nick Howell
5. Frank Maile

Honorable Mention: Jeff Choate, Lance Anderson, random successful MAC/Sun Belt head coach that I am not presently aware of, CHICO.

Honestly, I would be pretty happy with most of the options discussed. A McElwain or Helfrich hire would be disappointing and worrisome though.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on December 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 10:08 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm
December 1st, 2020, 9:37 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
AZ4AggieNation wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
4. Jay Hill (HC- Weber)

Jim McElwain
Lance Leipold
Jamey Chadwell
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
And Gary took Wisconsin to the big 10 CCG.

I agree mcelwain is an excellent coach. I just don’t think we can afford fake death threat drama with the current state of our program.
And overall 2014 was a decent coaching job by Gary. I agree with you about the fake death threats. That was a bad look.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 1st, 2020, 10:09 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm
FireWells wrote:
Why are you here?
Coach Wells should be guaranteed 1 more season at TT and I, am actually glad for that.......Columbi is doing fine where he is.....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
Imakeitrain

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

FireWells

Post by FireWells » December 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm

December 1st, 2020, 9:36 pm
USU78 wrote:
FireWells wrote:

Yep we averaged 47 points a game the last season we had Yost. We scored more points against Michigan State than anyone else on their schedule including Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State. Yost wouldn't be my first choice, but you provide USU with one of the best offenses in the nation and you deserve to at least have your name mentioned.
I think that has more to do with love than it does yost. Look at what he has done at Texas Tech...

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm

FireWells wrote:
USU78 wrote:
FireWells wrote:

I think that has more to do with love than it does yost. Look at what he has done at Texas Tech...
Yost is deity around here.

stang

Post by stang » December 1st, 2020, 11:13 pm

2004AG wrote:
FireWells wrote:
USU78 wrote:
FireWells wrote:

Yost is deity around here.

Because for some reason people on this board hate to admit that Matt Wells was a great coach for us, so they give all the credit to Yost. Don’t get me wrong, they were both great and obviously worked well together, but it seems like people almost use him as a way to avoid giving Wells credit.

Locked Previous topicNext topic