The worst coach possible

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Jjoey52
Posts: 3619
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 55 times

The worst coach possible

Post by Jjoey52 » December 7th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Pretty much everyone has expressed who they think is the best new coach at USU. This thread seeks to find the worst possible candidate.

I have 2 nominees. The first one is obvious, Gary Anderson. He did a lot of damage this time around. The second one is former Big Sky coach Mike Kramer most recently fired stars Idaho State, in addition to losing a lot, he managed to get himself and ISU sued for allegedly hitting a player.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Brushowl
Posts: 97
Joined: January 24th, 2011, 10:05 pm
Location: Homer, Alaska
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Brushowl » December 8th, 2020, 1:05 pm

How about the worst possible post. No contest, Joey you win!


I support our troops, especially the snipers.

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 11428
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 704 times
Been thanked: 478 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by ViAggie » December 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Any number of posters here :joking:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBlue Sage


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by GeoAg » December 8th, 2020, 2:02 pm



"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6765
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 571 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 8th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I mean, knowing what we know now Jerry Sandusky was the worst football hire of all time.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Jjoey52


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
crazywookie
Posts: 1476
Joined: August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by crazywookie » December 8th, 2020, 3:35 pm

I believe he's known as Lucifer or John L. Smith.

We could hire him so he could quit before the season even started...

I think that's a pretty awful list though and Jerry would be one of the worst. Crazy stories for many... and oh... poor Colorado.


"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Imakeitrain
Posts: 7562
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Imakeitrain » December 8th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Bringing back Gary might be a mistake but he’s no Gary Ridgway.

Although that would be a Utah hire.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
3rdGenAggie


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Imakeitrain
Posts: 7562
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Imakeitrain » December 8th, 2020, 3:42 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:08 pm
I mean, knowing what we know now Jerry Sandusky was the worst football hire of all time.
Not to be confused with Gerry Sandusky- the voice of the Baltimore Ravens.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

MWCFAN12
Posts: 962
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 8th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Jay Hill



mcaggie1
Posts: 2865
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by mcaggie1 » December 8th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Football...Chris Pella
Basketball...T.L. Plain
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4452
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 339 times
Been thanked: 777 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Brent Guy and Kohn Smith are the two worst Aggie coaches of my lifetime although Brent Guy did leave a few superstars for Gary. If you are talking about anyone in college football you could pick any Kansas coach of the last decade. If you want to talk a blueblood program, John Blake has to be on the top of the list. He coached Oklahoma in the 90s and didn't have a winning season at freaking Oklahoma where every coach wins.



mcaggie1
Posts: 2865
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by mcaggie1 » December 9th, 2020, 8:40 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:37 pm
Brent Guy and Kohn Smith are the two worst Aggie coaches of my lifetime although Brent Guy did leave a few superstars for Gary. If you are talking about anyone in college football you could pick any Kansas coach of the last decade. If you want to talk a blueblood program, John Blake has to be on the top of the list. He coached Oklahoma in the 90s and didn't have a winning season at freaking Oklahoma where every coach wins.
Feel lucky you weren’t in the Chris Pella, T.L. Plain era



AngusAg
Posts: 930
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 11:38 am
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by AngusAg » December 9th, 2020, 9:51 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:37 pm
Brent Guy and Kohn Smith are the two worst Aggie coaches of my lifetime although Brent Guy did leave a few superstars for Gary. If you are talking about anyone in college football you could pick any Kansas coach of the last decade. If you want to talk a blueblood program, John Blake has to be on the top of the list. He coached Oklahoma in the 90s and didn't have a winning season at freaking Oklahoma where every coach wins.
Ag formerly Hawaii, respect your opinion. I see KS through different eyes.
As with Chuck Shelton, Mick Denney, and others, Kohn Smith had limitations placed on him that makes honest evaluation difficult IMO. For instance, I know that Kohn was recruiting using his own personal funds, in some cases, because they had cut his recruiting budget so deep. His treatment by Emert/Bell was dispicable. WTS, Kohn does have a record for evaluation; just sometimes we don't see the whole picture.



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 9th, 2020, 9:57 am

Aaron Roderick or Gary Crowton have my votes
Last edited by AggieUprising50 on December 9th, 2020, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.



AgMan21
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by AgMan21 » December 9th, 2020, 10:20 am

No one asked, but I feel bad (knowing what I know now) for Brent Guy and having to deal with USU football the way it was AND mental illness at the same time. I've got respect for anyone that can do that.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9267
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2413 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by USU78 » December 9th, 2020, 10:20 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Football...Chris Pella
Basketball...T.L. Plain
Runner up in football: Melinkovitch.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
mcaggie1


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6765
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 571 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 9th, 2020, 10:21 am

AgMan21 wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
No one asked, but I feel bad (knowing what I know now) for Brent Guy and having to deal with USU football the way it was AND mental illness at the same time. I've got respect for anyone that can do that.
And to be fair to Guy, while he was not a good coach, the program was better when he was fired than it was when he took over. He left some solid players for Gary.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
AgMan21sstrasser


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1
Posts: 2865
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by mcaggie1 » December 9th, 2020, 11:24 am

USU78 wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Football...Chris Pella
Basketball...T.L. Plain
Runner up in football: Melinkovitch.
At least Meinkovitch had a macho football name. But “Pella”? Who wants a coach named after a window? ....... or a town in Iowa?
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7493
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by 2004AG » December 9th, 2020, 11:34 am

Holtz or Leipold would be my worst case scenarios. I’d rather have Frank than either of those two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Sl7vk » December 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 11:34 am
Holtz or Leipold would be my worst case scenarios. I’d rather have Frank than either of those two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm very glad that you aren't making the decision.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7493
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by 2004AG » December 9th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 11:34 am
Holtz or Leipold would be my worst case scenarios. I’d rather have Frank than either of those two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm very glad that you aren't making the decision.
If it were my decision, I would hire Jay Hill today. And I happen to think that would be a GREAT decision. :joking: :joking:

I guess the good new is with one of those, I'm done buying club seats, so I'll save myself save a couple thousand a year and just tune in occasionally on the TV.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Sl7vk » December 9th, 2020, 1:59 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 11:34 am
Holtz or Leipold would be my worst case scenarios. I’d rather have Frank than either of those two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm very glad that you aren't making the decision.
If it were my decision, I would hire Jay Hill today. And I happen to think that would be a GREAT decision. :joking: :joking:

I guess the good new is with one of those, I'm done buying club seats, so I'll save myself save a couple thousand a year and just tune in occasionally on the TV.
Tell you what, if it's Leipold I'll upgrade from my West side seatbacks to the club seats, so that things cosmically even out. :utah: :state:



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2264
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 9th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I'm hoping John Hartwell will bring in a dazzling Football Coach that will be applauded and supported for years to come. Having said that, I trust Mr. Hartwell is able to acquire a new AGGIE Football Coach in time for the 2021 season.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4452
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 339 times
Been thanked: 777 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 9th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:59 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 11:34 am
Holtz or Leipold would be my worst case scenarios. I’d rather have Frank than either of those two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm very glad that you aren't making the decision.
If it were my decision, I would hire Jay Hill today. And I happen to think that would be a GREAT decision. :joking: :joking:

I guess the good new is with one of those, I'm done buying club seats, so I'll save myself save a couple thousand a year and just tune in occasionally on the TV.
Tell you what, if it's Leipold I'll upgrade from my West side seatbacks to the club seats, so that things cosmically even out. :utah: :state:
If I lived in Utah id be tempted to do the same for leipold. That would be a great hire.



Blue Sage
Posts: 548
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by Blue Sage » December 9th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Arslainian.



YouTossedEight
Posts: 3
Joined: July 16th, 2020, 1:05 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: The worst coach possible

Post by YouTossedEight » December 11th, 2020, 9:17 am

USU78 wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Football...Chris Pella
Basketball...T.L. Plain
Runner up in football: Melinkovitch.
Doesn't Plain partially suffer from Sam Bowie syndrome? We'd have forgotten by now how bad he was, but it's who we passed up to have him.
These users thanked the author YouTossedEight for the post:
USU78



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic